OT - Airline security

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Martin, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    From yesterdays Torygrief letters page:

    Sir - I was interested to read about Stephen Robinson's experiences in the
    US embassy ( Opinion, Aug 19 ). However, paranoia over nail clippers is not
    confined to Americans. The son of a friend is a serving officer in the
    Ghurka Rifles and was on his way with his unit to Afghanistan, courtesy of
    the RAF.

    Dressed in full combat kit and carrying weapons, all went well until the
    final security check before boarding. Rifles, bayonets and kukris were fine,
    but when the nail clippers were discovered in his washing kit the offending
    article was placed in a plastic bag and confiscated. Dangerous in the wrong
    hands, you understand.

    Tags:

  2. David Martin wrote:

    > From yesterdays Torygrief letters page:
    >
    > Sir - I was interested to read about Stephen Robinson's experiences in the
    > US embassy ( Opinion, Aug 19 ). However, paranoia over nail clippers is not
    > confined to Americans. The son of a friend is a serving officer in the
    > Ghurka Rifles and was on his way with his unit to Afghanistan, courtesy of
    > the RAF.
    >
    > Dressed in full combat kit and carrying weapons, all went well until the
    > final security check before boarding. Rifles, bayonets and kukris were fine,
    > but when the nail clippers were discovered in his washing kit the offending
    > article was placed in a plastic bag and confiscated. Dangerous in the wrong
    > hands, you understand.

    Goodness knows what they'd do with a chain whip!

  3. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Goodness knows what they'd do with a chain whip!

    Well, "tradesmans tools" are on the list of dangerous items not to be
    carried in hand luggage. A chainwhip would probably qualify as such.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|