OT: All-too-believable new car technology

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark McN, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Mark McN

    Mark McN Guest

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Mark McN <[email protected]> wrote:
    : http://www.theonion.com/4005/news1.html

    The line that really got me was this:

    '"We have a delicate balance to strike," Ford Motor Company president Nick Scheele said. "The middle-
    income customer should be able to afford the car, but in order to increase engine efficiency, the
    price should be high enough to eat away at him the entire time he's driving. We're considering
    wildly fluctuating interest rates or a monthly payment rate that's pegged to the basketball
    standings."'

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Simon Brooke" wrote :l

    > What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is almost
    > certainly based on a real design study.
    >
    > -- (Simon Brooke

    What's even scarier is that there are SUV's and 4WD pickups being sold today that are designed to
    look extremely aggressive.

    Naming an entire car company after a predatory jungle cat seems pretty aggressive too, IMHO.
    --
    mark

  5. Simon Brooke wrote:

    > Mark McN <[email protected]> writes:
    >

    >>http://www.theonion.com/4005/news1.html
    >

    > What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is almost
    > certainly based on a real design study.

    The new BMW 5-series looks *well* pissed off, as do most Peugeots. My new Micra looks
    rather sweet :)

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > The new BMW 5-series looks *well* pissed off, as do most Peugeots. My new Micra looks rather
    > sweet :)

    I thought the early Mondeo's (described by Clarkson as "The ugliest car on the road") looked rather
    nice (as cars go). Then they completely changed the shape of the headlights, giving the car a rather
    aggressive look and, I believe, boosting sales significantly.

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

  7. "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Simon Brooke" wrote :l
    > >
    > > What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is
    > > almost certainly based on a real design study.
    > >
    > > -- (Simon Brooke
    >
    > What's even scarier is that there are SUV's and 4WD pickups being sold
    today
    > that are designed to look extremely aggressive.
    >
    > Naming an entire car company after a predatory jungle cat seems pretty aggressive too, IMHO.

    I don't think that was the attention - besides, Jaguars generally don't look that agressive IMHO.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:15:08 -0000, "Nathaniel Porter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jaguars generally don't look that agressive IMHO.

    Says who? They have bloody big teeth!

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  9. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:15:08 -0000, "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Jaguars generally don't look that agressive IMHO.
    >
    > Says who? They have bloody big teeth!

    Ha!

    Well, I assume you got what I *actually* meant :)

  10. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> Mark McN <[email protected]> writes:
    >>

    >>> http://www.theonion.com/4005/news1.html
    >>

    >> What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is almost
    >> certainly based on a real design study.
    >>
    > The new BMW 5-series looks *well* pissed off, as do most Peugeots. My new Micra looks rather
    > sweet :)

    My Ka's a cutie.

    --
    Andy Morris