OT: All-too-believable new car technology

Mark McN <[email protected]> wrote:
: http://www.theonion.com/4005/news1.html

The line that really got me was this:

'"We have a delicate balance to strike," Ford Motor Company president Nick Scheele said. "The middle-
income customer should be able to afford the car, but in order to increase engine efficiency, the
price should be high enough to eat away at him the entire time he's driving. We're considering
wildly fluctuating interest rates or a monthly payment rate that's pegged to the basketball
standings."'

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

"Simon Brooke" wrote :l

> What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is almost
> certainly based on a real design study.
>
> -- (Simon Brooke

What's even scarier is that there are SUV's and 4WD pickups being sold today that are designed to
look extremely aggressive.

Naming an entire car company after a predatory jungle cat seems pretty aggressive too, IMHO.
--
mark

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Mark McN <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>http://www.theonion.com/4005/news1.html
>

> What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is almost
> certainly based on a real design study.

The new BMW 5-series looks *well* ****** off, as do most Peugeots. My new Micra looks
rather sweet :)

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> The new BMW 5-series looks *well* ****** off, as do most Peugeots. My new Micra looks rather
> sweet :)

I thought the early Mondeo's (described by Clarkson as "The ugliest car on the road") looked rather
nice (as cars go). Then they completely changed the shape of the headlights, giving the car a rather
aggressive look and, I believe, boosting sales significantly.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Simon Brooke" wrote :l
> >
> > What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is
> > almost certainly based on a real design study.
> >
> > -- (Simon Brooke
>
> What's even scarier is that there are SUV's and 4WD pickups being sold
today
> that are designed to look extremely aggressive.
>
> Naming an entire car company after a predatory jungle cat seems pretty aggressive too, IMHO.

I don't think that was the attention - besides, Jaguars generally don't look that agressive IMHO.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> Mark McN <[email protected]> writes:
>>

>>> http://www.theonion.com/4005/news1.html
>>

>> What's scary about that is the extremely aggressive looking vehicle in the illustration is almost
>> certainly based on a real design study.
>>
> The new BMW 5-series looks *well* ****** off, as do most Peugeots. My new Micra looks rather
> sweet :)

My Ka's a cutie.