OT: Alternatives to PBase?

Bomba

Guest
Well, I managed to fill up my T-Online website in little over a month, so thought I'd go to PBase to
setup some space of pics of my weekend ride. Alas, a bit of reading, and it transpires that they
will now be charging for web space ($23/year for 100MB). Bollocks to that.

Any other web hosting alternatives that don't involve several thousand pop ups when you open a page?

Think I may finally have to take the plunge and get some proper web hosting...

> Well, I managed to fill up my T-Online website in little over a month, so thought I'd go to PBase
> to setup some space of pics of my weekend ride. Alas, a bit of reading, and it transpires that
> they will now be charging for web space ($23/year for 100MB). Bollocks to that.
>
> Any other web hosting alternatives that don't involve several thousand pop ups when you
> open a page?
>
> Think I may finally have to take the plunge and get some proper web hosting...

I use hostonce.com.

bomba wrote:

> Think I may finally have to take the plunge and get some proper web hosting...

I take it you dont have broadband.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Matthew Paterson wrote:

>>Think I may finally have to take the plunge and get some proper web hosting...
>

> I take it you dont have broadband.

Actually, I do. The problem is that it's T-DSL (Deutsche Telekom's implementation of ADSL) and the
connection is cut every 24 hours. Automatically restarting the connection via a script is possible,
but it runs on DHCP, which then means I'd have to configure dynamic DNS along with the web server,
and there'd be a minute of two of downtime per day. From the point of view of cost, effort, uptime,
accessibility and speed, it would actually be better to go with external hosting.

Still, it's a thought, and could be an interesting project to do...