OT: AMBER Alert!

Ya Think? I have NOT listened to a Radio Station since 1995 and went 2 decades without seeing a
T.V., last Newspaper I looked at was 2 years ago. When I did return to TV in 1988 the 1st thing that
appeared was "I Love Lucy"..which was one of the last shows I saw before I decided all TV was ****
and I stopped watching TV 2 decades earlier. As much as I believed I was alone in this...I have
observed that few people are still connected to the mass media and those who are live in Trailer
Parks and their lips move when they read. I did a course last summer where the teacher suggested the
mega North American decline in people connected to the mass media was because most of what is
available is total **** and our brains have evolved to detect and filter ****. With MP3s and
Internet (commercial/news free) stations we no longer need Radio Stations to hear one song per hour
wedged into 55 minutes of Sports scores, weather in nations no one has ever heard of and commercials
for products we'll never use. My favourite was a few years ago DURING a tornado. Everyone (cept moi)
turned on their radios to see if they should dig a hole and they got an Up To The Minute-Long Range
Weather Report....for Japan, Korea and China followed by a commercial for some female hygiene
product. Trees are being blown over while people hear about the newest features of tampons.
Intelligent folk subscribe to PBS and other commercial & news free TV stations. Magazines (still in
print) will NOT carry Amber Alerts or anything local (news wise). I live on the Internet and learn
about what is happening in the world via CNN or MSNBC and that only happens when I am bored...and
I'm usually too busy to be bored. The Bent Culture I see evolving (finally) will include some OT
threads, but the vast majority of posts will deal with bents AND events having a connection to bents
and I still think R.L.Bass posting the Amber Alert HAS merit for those bent.

As for relevancy? I seldom come to ARBR anymore...(in case no one has noticed) because of the OT
Dolan/Sherman/Huffman/Just us Guys flammable messages that now dominate ARBR. Most of the people I
trade emails with daily came (from) ARBR and have moved to Yahoo...where we have zero OT &
flammable postings.
***

> "Joshua Goldberg" skrev
>
> > As an evolving (or) as I suspect a mutating "Bent Culture", we have to
get
> > more involved in activities in our communities that will make us appear
less
> > like geeks to the heaving Un-Bent.
> >
> > I "believe" Robert L.Bass posted the Amber Alert message here, because
as
> > cyclists we travel on paths less travelled where a child might be taken.
>
> Bollocks. Its not relevant for most of the group and those it was relevant
for
> would have heard it on the news long before they read it here.
>
> M.

Hmm. You have totally flipped now. *ploink.wav*

"Joshua Goldberg" skrev...
> [...]
> flammable postings.
> ***
> "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Joshua Goldberg" skrev
> >
> > > As an evolving (or) as I suspect a mutating "Bent Culture", we have to
> get
> > > more involved in activities in our communities that will make us appear
> less
> > > like geeks to the heaving Un-Bent.
> > >
> > > I "believe" Robert L.Bass posted the Amber Alert message here, because
> as
> > > cyclists we travel on paths less travelled where a child might be taken.
> >
> > Bollocks. Its not relevant for most of the group and those it was relevant
> for
> > would have heard it on the news long before they read it here.

news:D[email protected]...
> As for relevancy? I seldom come to ARBR anymore...(in case no one has noticed) because of the OT
> Dolan/Sherman/Huffman/Just us Guys flammable messages that now dominate ARBR. Most of the people I
> trade emails with daily came (from) ARBR and have moved to Yahoo...where we have zero OT &
> flammable postings.

Hmm. I just scrolled through 50 or 60 threads on my O.E. newsreader and spotted only two O.T.
threads one of which is this one where your postings predominate.

Contributing to OT threads and complaining about them at the same time seems a bit out of kilter.

skip

SKIP RU Blind? I just counted 21 OT in the last 70 messages in O.E. and mine = 6 and 5 of the 6 came
about as a result of cranky folk who objected to my 1st one.
*************************************
"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
> > As for relevancy? I seldom come to ARBR anymore...(in case no one has noticed) because of the OT
> > Dolan/Sherman/Huffman/Just us Guys flammable messages that now dominate ARBR. Most of the people
> > I trade emails with daily came (from) ARBR and have moved to Yahoo...where we have zero OT &
> > flammable postings.
> >

> Hmm. I just scrolled through 50 or 60 threads on my O.E. newsreader and spotted only two O.T.
> threads one of which is this one where your postings predominate.
>
> Contributing to OT threads and complaining about them at the same time
seems
> a bit out of kilter.
>
> skip

> SKIP RU Blind? I just counted 21 OT in the last 70 messages in O.E. and mine = 6 and 5 of the 6
> came about as a result of cranky folk who objected to my 1st one.
> *************************************
No. At least not legally blind. Yet. Anyway I looked again and there are still only two off topic
threads (you were a contributor to both of them) in my OE newsreader. So I went off to Google to see
if I could get a clue as to what you are talking about. To my surprise the first thing I saw was a
new thread under the subject of "SKIPPY" with only your post in it (not labeled off topic either).

My OE doesn't create a new thread when you reply to a posting within a existing thread and change
the subject. For example you have posted under five different subjects within the original thread -
OT Amber Alert - OT Amber Alert Screw Georgia - Amber Alert Not OT - Amber Alert Ended, and lastly
SKIPPY. My OE keeps all of these posting neat and tidy in the original Bass thread. BUT, by making
these ***** nilly subject changes you are creating new OT threads on the Google newsreader and
presumably others as well.

I'm sure glad my O.E. newsreader doesn't do that. Since your O.E. does I may I suggest you look in
tools and see if you can reconfigure so it won't. And maybe you will stop the multiplying OT threads
by sticking to the original subject. That would be Good for Google.

SKIPPY

what I refer to is OT = Off Topic as in NOT connected to Recumbents. I wanted to stick to using NBC
last year re: NO Bent Content, but some people said it was too confusing there being a TV Network
called NBC...so OT stuck.

I use O.E. with "Hide Read Messages" in View and I still get 21 of 70 showing up with OT in the
subject line and when you open them there really is ZERO Bent content...just stuff about Iraq and
our...whoops your President.

Now the OT messages are NOT (Off Topic) when the topic is Iraq or President Bush, but the OT
messages are OT from the topic of recumbents and all of mine dealt with recumbent cyclists playing a
role in the Amber Alert...when that Alert was correctly given.

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1paVa.1237>

> > As for relevancy? I seldom come to ARBR anymore...(in case no one has
> > > noticed) because of the OT Dolan/Sherman/Huffman/Just us Guys flammable messages that now
> > > dominate ARBR. Most of the people I trade emails with daily came (from) ARBR and have moved to
> > > Yahoo...where we have zero OT & flammable postings.

For someone who seldom comes to a.r.b.r. anymore I sure do notice a lot of postings with your name
attached. I for one do not understand why anyone should object to OT postings. They are clearly
labeled as such and you need never see them if you choose not to. I would say that 90% of the
postings on a.r.b.r. do not interest me and I never open them. How does an OT thread differ from any
other thread in this respect? Maybe you use the web site different than I do. I go to the web site
(Google - a.r.b.r.) and then review the thread list. I can see at a glance what interests me from
the subject heading of the threads. What could be simpler?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> what I refer to is OT = Off Topic as in NOT connected to Recumbents. I wanted to stick to using
> NBC last year re: NO Bent Content, but some
people
> said it was too confusing there being a TV Network called NBC...so OT
stuck.

> I use O.E. with "Hide Read Messages" in View and I still get 21 of 70 showing up with OT in the
> subject line and when you open them there really is ZERO Bent content...just stuff about Iraq and
> our...whoops your President.
>
> Now the OT messages are NOT (Off Topic) when the topic is Iraq or
President
> Bush, but the OT messages are OT from the topic of recumbents and all of mine dealt with recumbent
> cyclists playing a role in the Amber
Alert...when
> that Alert was correctly given.
>
> Your Turn

My Turn? I Pass. No wait. Just let me say I must have a superior Outlook Express Newreader
configuration. Everything is neat and tidy. Only three OT threads so noted. A new one about
someone's newsreader server just appeared. Also only a couple of spam things. No one filtered -
Nothing blocked.

Did you ever see the movie Fantasia? Do you remember Mickey Mouse in the wizard hat with those
brooms? Well you're doing that same Micky Mouse thing with Google newgroup threads when you add your
little modifications the subject in an OT post. For example, if you had put "Screw Georgia" in the
body of your Amber Alert post rather add it to the subject you would not have created an new OT
thread in Google. Why would anyone want to have 6 or 7 different threads on an Amber Alert or a 100
on Iraq when one would do? Quit modifying the OT subjects for the Google readers sake.

SKIPPY

Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> ... As for relevancy? I seldom come to ARBR anymore...(in case no one has noticed) because of the
> OT Dolan/Sherman/Huffman/Just us Guys flammable messages that now dominate ARBR....

I believe that all of those messages have been confined to one thread that is identified as
off-topic - which hardly constitutes dominating
a.r.b.r in my opinion.

Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> what I refer to is OT = Off Topic as in NOT connected to Recumbents. I wanted to stick to using
> NBC last year re: NO Bent Content, but some people said it was too confusing there being a TV
> Network called NBC...so OT stuck.

NRC: No Recumbent Content or Nuclear Regulatory Commission? Hmmm...

> I use O.E. with "Hide Read Messages" in View and I still get 21 of 70 showing up with OT in the
> subject line and when you open them there really is ZERO Bent content...just stuff about Iraq and
> our...whoops your President....

Don't you know Canada is next on the US regime change list? ;)

I do the same as you Ed, but then I see a subject that looks good about a RANS and I open it to
find that it has nothing to do with RANS, because someone FORGOT to alter (Hi Skip) the frigging
Subject line.
**************************************

> > > As for relevancy? I seldom come to ARBR anymore...(in case no one has
OT &

> For someone who seldom comes to a.r.b.r. anymore I sure do notice a lot of postings with your name
> attached. I for one do not understand why anyone should object to OT postings. They are clearly
> labeled as such and you need never see them if you choose not to. I would say that 90% of the
> postings on a.r.b.r. do not interest me and I never open them. How does an OT thread differ from
> any other thread in this respect? Maybe you use the web site different than I do. I go to the web
> site (Google - a.r.b.r.) and then review the thread list. I can see at a glance what interests me
> from the subject heading of the threads. What could be simpler?
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Been altering the subject line to reflect changes for 3 years and you are the 1st to think it
weird...or everyone has thought it weird but HAD a life and saw no reaon to object.
"skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > what I refer to is OT = Off Topic as in NOT connected to Recumbents. I wanted to stick to using
> > NBC last year re: NO Bent Content, but some
> people
> > said it was too confusing there being a TV Network called NBC...so OT
> stuck.
> >
> > I use O.E. with "Hide Read Messages" in View and I still get 21 of 70 showing up with OT in the
> > subject line and when you open them there
really
> > is ZERO Bent content...just stuff about Iraq and our...whoops your President.
> >
> > Now the OT messages are NOT (Off Topic) when the topic is Iraq or
> President
> > Bush, but the OT messages are OT from the topic of recumbents and all of mine dealt with
> > recumbent cyclists playing a role in the Amber
> Alert...when
> > that Alert was correctly given.
> >
> > Your Turn
>
> My Turn? I Pass. No wait. Just let me say I must have a superior Outlook Express Newreader
> configuration. Everything is neat and tidy. Only three OT threads so noted. A new one about
> someone's newsreader server just appeared. Also only a couple of spam things. No one filtered -
> Nothing blocked.
>
> Did you ever see the movie Fantasia? Do you remember Mickey Mouse in the wizard hat with those
> brooms? Well you're doing that same Micky Mouse
thing
> with Google newgroup threads when you add your little modifications the subject in an OT post. For
> example, if you had put "Screw Georgia" in the body of your Amber Alert post rather add it to the
> subject you would not have created an new OT thread in Google. Why would anyone want to have 6
or
> 7 different threads on an Amber Alert or a 100 on Iraq when one would do? Quit modifying the OT
> subjects for the Google readers sake.
>
> SKIPPY

Been invited to move to Oregon so why would I care about who takes over Canada....I voted for
H.Ross Perot.
*********************************

skip wrote:
> ... Did you ever see the movie Fantasia? Do you remember Mickey Mouse in the wizard hat with those
> brooms? Well you're doing that same Micky Mouse thing with Google newgroup threads when you add
> your little modifications the subject in an OT post. For example, if you had put "Screw Georgia"
> in the body of your Amber Alert post rather add it to the subject you would not have created an
> new OT thread in Google. Why would anyone want to have 6 or 7 different threads on an Amber Alert
> or a 100 on Iraq when one would do?...

The Hydra Principle?

You guys are using your O.E. for newsgroup messages? It never occurred to me that you could even do
that. I always go direct to the Google web site and read and write everything from there. It has
nothing to do with my O.E. That is strictly for email with known people. Well, I learn something
everyday just by hanging out with this newsgroup.

I can see where it might be slightly irritating to have your email cluttered up with a lot of OT
posts having nothing to do with what you are interested in. But that is surely not a problem at all
if you go direct to the Google web site like I do. In fact, I have to investigate the threads quite
carefully so I can discover what is new.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Me too. I voted for him once, but then found out he was crazy as a bedbug so I voted for someone
else the next time around. Probably the Libertarian Harry Browne who lives nearby as does Al Gore.
I've never voted for Al though. Never voted for Bush II either. Since the subject is Re: SKIPPY I
figure I can ramble on about my voting record or anything else and it would be on topic in an off
topic thread according Josh's reasoning as far as I can understand it.

I've never been invited to move to Oregon though. Come to think of it I've never been invited to
move to any state. I've always just crashed the states I've lived in.

SKIPPY

> Been invited to move to Oregon so why would I care about who takes over Canada....I voted for
> H.Ross Perot.
> *********************************
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
> > >
> > > what I refer to is OT = Off Topic as in NOT connected to Recumbents. I wanted to stick to
> > > using NBC last year re: NO Bent Content, but some
> people
> > > said it was too confusing there being a TV Network called NBC...so OT
> stuck.
> >
> > NRC: No Recumbent Content or Nuclear Regulatory Commission? Hmmm...
> >
> > > I use O.E. with "Hide Read Messages" in View and I still get 21 of 70 showing up with OT in
> > > the subject line and when you open them there
> really
> > > is ZERO Bent content...just stuff about Iraq and our...whoops your President....
> >
> > Don't you know Canada is next on the US regime change list? ;)
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

The email and newsreader are completely separate. The OE newsreader is organized a lot like Google,
but the posts get on the server much quicker than the Google posts. And it doesn't create a new
thread every time someone wants to editorialize(Hi Josh) on the subject line.

skip

skip wrote:

> Me too. I voted for him once, but then found out he was crazy as a bedbug so I voted for someone
> else the next time around. Probably the Libertarian Harry Browne who lives nearby as does Al Gore.
> I've never voted for Al though. Never voted for Bush II either....

Matt Groening had it right: Sleazy (Clinton), Slimy (Dole), and Screwy (Perot).

No OT in this posting! I saw what I thought was 'RECUMBENT HILLCLIMB ON SKIPPY!' Slick trick, to say
the least. Only when I went back to see 'gravel' did I stop wondering...

Too late... ZZZZZZZ Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>.....OT postings. They are clearly labeled as such and you need never see them if you choose
>not to. I would say that 90% of the postings on a.r.b.r. do not interest me and I never open
>them. How does an OT thread differ from any other thread in this respect? Maybe you use the web
>site different than I do. I go to the web site (Google - a.r.b.r.) and then review the thread
>list. I can see at a glance what interests me from the subject heading of the threads. What
>could be simpler?
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> skip wrote:
> > ... Did you ever see the movie Fantasia? Do you remember Mickey Mouse in
the
> > wizard hat with those brooms? Well you're doing that same Micky Mouse
thing
> > with Google newgroup threads when you add your little modifications the subject in an OT post.
> > For example, if you had put "Screw Georgia" in
the
> > body of your Amber Alert post rather add it to the subject you would not have created an new OT
> > thread in Google. Why would anyone want to have 6
or
> > 7 different threads on an Amber Alert or a 100 on Iraq when one would
do?...

> The Hydra Principle?

Hydra Principle? Isn't a Hydra a little a water thing with only a mouth and foot? Does it frequently
put it's little foot in it's little mouth?

skip