OT American cousins

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 29 Aug 2003 07:49:24 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>> Must be really satisfying being the only one marching in step.

>By "rest of the world" I mean [...]

You mean all the people whose opinions you discount because you disagree with them. Yes, we noticed.

>> Might have something to do with being a self-serving European who is deeply suspicious of the
>> self-serving oil clique currently running the USA.

>One of the really nutty views of the US. You have been brain washed on this oil thing and you are
>now declared hopeless. Your ignorance is unconquerable.

So knowing that all the senior figures in the current administration are in oil now counts as
ignorance? Well, hell, there are an awful lot of ignorant people out here then.

>> I thought the war was wrong before the UN told me anything at all, because I have enough
>> intelligence to realize that the links between Saddam and Al-Quaeda were entirely bogus, and that
>> all the wriggling since has been equally so.

>It is all one swamp and has to be drained.

Approach 1: the South African approach. ends the tyrannical regime without significant bloodshed,
results in a national healing process via the Truth & Reconciliation Commission. Imperfect, but
remarkable in many ways.

Approach 2: ask the UN for permission to invade, don't get it, invade anyway. End up as an army of
occupation handing out contracts without tender to the cronies of the people who, purely by
conicdence, ordered the war in the first place.

I know which I prefer.

I also know who filled the swamp in the first place. Or is that knowledge more of your "ignorance?"

>And it is much better that we be fighting the terrorists in Iraq than in the homeland.

Which would work just fine if it weren't for the fact that the terrorists aren't in Iraq, they're in
places like Libya and Syria. You can't invade the whole of the Middle-East.

>Alliances are ever shifting depending on circumstances.

Quite. The CIA's alliance with Al-Quaeda has shifted quite a bit now, hasn't it?

>But the French never change. They are reprehensible in that they only do whatever is in their
>base economic interest, unlike the US. We invariably act in the interest of preserving world
>peace and order.

ROFLMAO!!!!

OK now I get it, this is a joke. And it's on me. Ed, full marks for brilliant satire - I now realise
that you are taking the mickey and you know full well that all this neocon stuff is bovine
excrement.

I can't believe I was taken in.

Presumably you are Mike Vandemann's sock puppet or something.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

On 29 Aug 2003 07:35:02 -0700, [email protected] (Steve in SC) wrote:

>You have chosen to pick up on a contentious, off topic post that had been dead for nine days.

I was away camping for most of that time, and replied to a post from Ed. I just get wound up by all
this burger eating attack monkey stuff.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 29 Aug 2003 07:35:02 -0700, [email protected] (Steve in SC) wrote:
>
> I was away camping for most of that time, and replied to a post from Ed. I just get wound up by
> all this burger eating attack monkey stuff.
>
I just get wound up by this burger eating attack monkey stuff. Now that's a great sentence. Not sure
why, but I find it funny. Probably because I'm easily amused by the absurd.

Is it a British expression? Or just something conjured up during a moment of pique?

skip

[email protected] (Steve in SC) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > On 21 Aug 2003 21:58:52 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
> >
>
>
> Guy
>
> You have chosen to pick up on a contentious, off topic post that had been dead for nine days.
> Surely we can suppress our own egos, just a bit, for the benefit of others on this board. Nothing
> of a political nature will be resolved on this board. Your cooperation in this matter would be
> greatly appreciated. Thank you.
>
> Steve

Steve, I am greatly in sympathy with what you are saying. Frankly, I only have enough time and
energy to keep up with a couple of OT threads. More than that and I am worn down and get depressed.
I suggest that OT threads that are more than 3 or 4 days inactive should be allowed to rest in
peace. As you say, no useful information is being exchanged - we are just venting our egos.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

There is no point in going over the same old ground but I would like to expand a bit on the
following:

> On 29 Aug 2003 07:49:24 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> >It is all one swamp and has to be drained.

> I also know who filled the swamp in the first place. Or is that knowledge more of your
> "ignorance?"

I firmly believe that it is all one swamp and it has to be drained. It is all part and parcel of the
war on terrorism. When that Middle Eastern swamp is drained the war on terrorism will largely be
over. But it is not just Iraq that we have to take out but we also have to neutralize most of the
rest of the Middle East also. I think Saudi Arabia will probably cooperate with us and even Syria
and Iran may come around when they see the way things are going in Iraq. We can not afford to fail
in Iraq. If we do fail the Islamic terrorists will have gained a significant victory and we (the
entire Western World) will suffer the consequences which are unpredictable and terrible.

We did not fill the swamp in the first place. The Islamic societies are all failed societies. They
are living in their own Middle Ages and do not know how to get out of it. They blame the West for
their troubles, but the West has nothing to do with it. There will have to be a revolution in the
Islamic world if they are ever to become modern in the Western sense. The main thing they will have
to do is bring their religion into the 21st century. That is mostly what is keeping them so
backward. Oil is involved in all of this of course, but it is not the main problem. Islam will have
to undertake it's own cure. We cannot do if for them no matter how well intentioned we might be. It
is possible that we in the West would today be as backward as those Islamic countries if we had not
had our own revolutions and reformations in past centuries.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:43:09 -0500, "skip" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just get wound up by this burger eating attack monkey stuff. Now that's a great sentence. Not
>sure why, but I find it funny. Probably because I'm easily amused by the absurd. Is it a British
>expression? Or just something conjured up during a moment of pique?

It's the obvious opposite of cheese-eating surrender monkeys - I think I heard it first from the
keyboard of Mr Larrington, but I can't be sure of that. It does sound a tad British to me ;-)

Guy
===

Ed, you assert but you offer no evidence. The histories of the West and the Middle East are
inextricably linked through colonial occupation, war, conquest, religion - right back to the
Crusades and before.

I sense in the "war against terror" the zeal of the convert: just as a reformed smoker will be the
one to tackle the man who lights up in the "no smoking" section of the restaurant, so the
(allegedly) reformed insurrection promoter shouts loudest to bring a peace which might have existed
before if it weren't for their actions.

Do we seriously believe that the CIA is no longer active and will never again participate in
destabilising regimes which the US Government perceives as undesirable? You might, but I don't.

And now I'm off to ride my recumbent.

Guy
===

news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:43:09 -0500, "skip" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I just get wound up by this burger eating attack monkey stuff. Now
that's a
> >great sentence. Not sure why, but I find it funny. Probably because I'm easily amused by the
> >absurd. Is it a British expression? Or just something conjured up during a
moment
> >of pique?
>
> It's the obvious opposite of cheese-eating surrender monkeys - I think I heard it first from the
> keyboard of Mr Larrington, but I can't be sure of that. It does sound a tad British to me ;-)
>

Ah. That's just great. Larrington came up with that? Then most definitely the best I've heard from
him. I'm still laughing.

skip

> Ed, you assert but you offer no evidence. The histories of the West and the Middle East are
> inextricably linked through colonial occupation, war, conquest, religion - right back to the
> Crusades and before.

If the West intruded upon societies in other parts of the world such as the Middle East, the Far
East and Africa, it is because those societies were weak and deeply flawed and the West was strong
and vibrant. China and India have recovered fully from their colonial histories because they are
strong and vibrant cultures. They have attempted to become modern and Western.

The Middle East and Africa are still mired by their own inadequacies. It is not the fault of the
West. They would be where they are today because of their own cultures if the West had never
existed. They need to reform themselves and get rid of their medieval Islamic religion. The West has
hardly been involved in Africa for several generations now and that entire continent is still a
mess. It is too easy to just blame everything on the West. I don't buy it!

Understand. I am not blaming people for their inferiorities. We are all one species. But cultures
are not equal. Some are clearly superior to others. I am faulting the Islamic World for having an
inferior culture. All their problems spring from that. .......

> Do we seriously believe that the CIA is no longer active and will never again participate in
> destabilizing regimes which the US Government perceives as undesirable? You might, but I don't.

If the US perceives a regime to be undesirable that is because it is undesirable. How could a
democracy such as ours go about the world destabilizing other governments if it were not in the
interests of the American people (and the entire Free World also). Such a US government would soon
be voted out of power.

For instance, it would be highly desirable for the US to set about "destabilizing" the present
Iranian government. And we should be intimidating Syria too. What good is power if you are not going
to use it to accomplish some good in the world. And both of the above actions would be supported by
the American people overwhelmingly because they are in the interests of the American people (and by
extension free peoples everywhere).

You can see how everything comes down to defining good and evil in the world. If you cannot make
those kind of distinctions then you are lost and world affairs will always be a muddle to you. A
Syria or Iran with nuclear weapons would be an evil that the world could not live with. We can
clearly see that and cannot understand why the "rest of the world" cannot. But in any event, the
responsibility is ours and we will do whatever it takes to ensure that certain eventualities do not
come to past.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On 30 Aug 2003 10:52:54 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>If the West intruded upon societies in other parts of the world such as the Middle East, the Far
>East and Africa, it is because those societies were weak and deeply flawed and the West was strong
>and vibrant.

"I am stronger therefore I am right."

Never heard the phrase "the cradle of civilisation?" It was bombed and looted earlier this year.

Guy
===

> On 30 Aug 2003 10:52:54 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>
> >If the West intruded upon societies in other parts of the world such as the Middle East, the Far
> >East and Africa, it is because those societies were weak and deeply flawed and the West was
> >strong and vibrant.
>
> "I am stronger therefore I am right."

Not just stronger, but altogether superior. And rightness has nothing to do with it. It is about
which culture is going to prevail and which society is going to prosper. Unfortunately, one is
always at the expense of the other. The world is not big enough to accommodate a multitude of
competing cultures. One will eventually prevail by whatever means. Try to get real!

> Never heard the phrase "the cradle of civilisation?" It was bombed and looted earlier this year.

The cradle of civilization goes back several thousand years and has no relationship at all to the
present day Middle East. Read your ancient history and you will know that the peoples and cultures
that exist today in that region have absolutely nothing to do with the ancient cultures. Even the
physical landscape has changed enormously. It is now largely a desert region whereas thousands of
years ago it was known as the fertile crescent. Things change.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On 30 Aug 2003 18:50:02 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>> "I am stronger therefore I am right."

>Not just stronger, but altogether superior.

Check the dictionary definition of "arrogant" some time.

Guy
===

> On 30 Aug 2003 18:50:02 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>
> >> "I am stronger therefore I am right."
>
> >Not just stronger, but altogether superior.
>
> Check the dictionary definition of "arrogant" some time.
>
> Guy

Your post was not sufficiently intelligent enough to merit a riposte.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Burger eating attack monkey" - nowt to do with me. First reference to it I can find is in Guy's
post just up there |

That is all.

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Why "Wilkes"...always wondered that. Why is the assassin always identified as John Wilkes Boothe
> and not just John Boothe or J.W.Boothe? --snippp ---

The answer to the "middle name question" is in the movie "Conspiracy" starring mad max.. well worth
the price of rental... dale

> The answer to the "middle name question" is in the movie "Conspiracy" starring mad max.. well
> worth the price of rental... dale

Actually the movie title is "Conspiracy Theory"

<Chas

Q. Why is George W. so sure the bad guys have weapons of mass destruction?
R. Daddy showed him the invoices.

--

Joel Wilson Fort Lauderdale
=========================================
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subscriber AI4I is always on the trailing edge of technology
=========================================

"ai4i" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Q. Why is George W. so sure the bad guys have weapons of mass destruction?
> A. Daddy showed him the invoices.

It was the French, the Germans and the Russians who were heavily involved with the Iraqi regime,
even to the point of supplying it with weapons of war and weapons of mass destruction. That was the
sole reason why they were against the war. It was just a pocket book issue to them. And they could
care less about any consequences to the US from their shenanigans. That is why they are despicable
and not worthy of being considered civilized. But the French are especially beyond contempt. If and
when the terrorists strike France I for one will be delighted.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On 1 Sep 2003 04:07:55 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>> Check the dictionary definition of "arrogant" some time.
>Your post was not sufficiently intelligent enough to merit a riposte.

Looks like you also need to check the dictionary definition of tautology ;-)

Guy
===

On 3 Sep 2003 07:40:13 -0700, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>> Q. Why is George W. so sure the bad guys have weapons of mass destruction?
>> A. Daddy showed him the invoices.

>It was the French, the Germans and the Russians who were heavily involved with the Iraqi regime

And where did he get the anthrax? The only thing matching the ever-shifting "mass destruction"
definition which survived the repeated clarifications and redefinitions in the runup to Operation
Oily Residue?

Guy
===

Status
Not open for further replies.