OT: An old friend

Jimbo(san)

So I have this old Italian road frame (Fiorelli) I aqquired back in the
early 80's.
I would say it probably was my first good ride (not great). I rode the
living hell out of it for years. One day on my way to work I got hit
and I figured the bike was toast. The light alloy wheels were toast and
the handle bar was bent.
I left the bike for a long time. Years later I became interested in
road biking and a friend at work convinced me to fix the bike up. The
frame seemed straight enough. I had the bike painted (a hideous color
combo of purple and silver... I asked for a solid color and the guy
thought he was doing me a favor.... I digress)
I knew nothing about how wheel sizes had changed or that downtube
shifters went the way of the dodo... I got the frame back and installed
an Ultegra headset and BB and then started to learn how this bike was
really out of date. I had already spent a sum of money on it and didn't
want to lose the investment.
Before it was widely popular (not like it is now) I converted it to a
fixie.
It was the perfect solution because I didn't have to worry about
brakes, shifters, cassettes or any of that. I guess you could say I
learned how to avoid spending more money on it. I had no idea of what I
was letting myself into. I rode the bike as a commuter for about 7
years and I loved it!
Years of riding, tinkering and learning by trial and error the frame
started getting visibly beaten. The drops look like they were ready to
give up the ghost and the seat post collar had seen better days.
I have since bought a dedicated Fixie and of all of my rides this is
still my favorite means of bike riding.
I would love to ressurect the old Italian job and have since thought
about having track drops welded on and a repair job done on the seat
collar...
I am pretty sure I can get a 700cc Fork to work and since I really
don't need a rear brake I think I could coax a 700cc wheel in the
back... The rear spacing might be interesting... Pretty much all theory
right now...
Any one care to input... Am I on a fools errand?
Right now it sits in my brother garage and waits... I would rather not
have wall art... Even if it becomes a beer getter I would be happy.

Jimbo(san)

Jimbo(san) wrote:

> So I have this old Italian road frame (Fiorelli) I aqquired back in the
> early 80's.
> I would say it probably was my first good ride (not great). I rode the
> living hell out of it for years. One day on my way to work I got hit
> and I figured the bike was toast. The light alloy wheels were toast and
> the handle bar was bent.
> I left the bike for a long time. Years later I became interested in
> road biking and a friend at work convinced me to fix the bike up. The
> frame seemed straight enough. I had the bike painted (a hideous color
> combo of purple and silver... I asked for a solid color and the guy
> thought he was doing me a favor.... I digress)
> I knew nothing about how wheel sizes had changed or that downtube
> shifters went the way of the dodo... I got the frame back and installed
> an Ultegra headset and BB and then started to learn how this bike was
> really out of date. I had already spent a sum of money on it and didn't
> want to lose the investment.
> Before it was widely popular (not like it is now) I converted it to a
> fixie.
> It was the perfect solution because I didn't have to worry about
> brakes, shifters, cassettes or any of that. I guess you could say I
> learned how to avoid spending more money on it. I had no idea of what I
> was letting myself into. I rode the bike as a commuter for about 7
> years and I loved it!
> Years of riding, tinkering and learning by trial and error the frame
> started getting visibly beaten. The drops look like they were ready to
> give up the ghost and the seat post collar had seen better days.
> I have since bought a dedicated Fixie and of all of my rides this is
> still my favorite means of bike riding.
> I would love to ressurect the old Italian job and have since thought
> about having track drops welded on and a repair job done on the seat
> collar...
> I am pretty sure I can get a 700cc Fork to work and since I really
> don't need a rear brake I think I could coax a 700cc wheel in the
> back... The rear spacing might be interesting... Pretty much all theory
> right now...
> Any one care to input... Am I on a fools errand?
> Right now it sits in my brother garage and waits... I would rather not
> have wall art... Even if it becomes a beer getter I would be happy.
>
> Jimbo(san)

So you need a new pair of bars to get this thing back on the road? What
are you waiting for again? Are you thinking about going back to gearing
it up?
Check the rear ends for cracks. If they ain't broke, don't (ahem) fix.
They're fine as they are. Ride that nag into the ground.

/s

<So you need a new pair of bars to get this thing back on the road?
What
are you waiting for again? Are you thinking about going back to gearing

it up?
Check the rear ends for cracks. If they ain't broke, don't (ahem) fix.
They're fine as they are. Ride that nag into the ground.

/s >

The drop outs are pretty soft ... I am a little worried I will stomp on
the pedals and have them drop off (so to speak)... I should mention
that this is due to my filing the dropouts and frequent loosening and
tightening of the rear wheel. The seat and chain stays are still solid
though.
Seat collar is a mess so I would need to have that "fixed" up...
Before I ride it into the ground I have to make sure it isn't going
ride me into the ground!

I got something in that line. Its an old GT. 21 speed,center pull
brakes,flat bars,700 c wheels.road crank,touring seat. Now the rear
wheel got trashed and got replaced with a spare 26 one,V brake up
front,none in rear,replacement seat,and post. It can fly and everyone
says how come you don't go over the bars with just a front brake. Well
I know how to plant my ass on the seat when braking. It allways needs
tighting and adjusting and can even skid the front wheel.