OT: Another speed limit competitor

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Matt B, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Matt B

    Matt B Guest

    Surely not another solution which is _better_ than speed cameras ;-)

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm

    "People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them about
    lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'. But they're not
    used to having their wit engaged,"

    "There's an element of fun and mischief, but underneath is the ambition to
    encourage people to re-examine how roads are used,"

    --
    Matt B

    Tags:

  2. sothach

    sothach Guest

    Matt B wrote:
    > Surely not another solution which is _better_ than speed cameras ;-)
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm
    >
    > "People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them about
    > lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'. But they're not
    > used to having their wit engaged,"
    >
    > "There's an element of fun and mischief, but underneath is the ambition to
    > encourage people to re-examine how roads are used,"

    Its an interesting idea, a bit daft, but interesting. But with
    reactions like:

    "A driver of a 4x4 didn't so much disapprove - he was too crazed and
    violent for that. He seemed to be made psychotic by the idea that roads
    could exist for anything other than him to drive on,"

    then a more appropriate type of "folk traffic calming" might be an
    overturned car and some lads with molotovs and AK47s

  3. Matt B wrote:
    > Surely not another solution which is _better_ than speed cameras ;-)
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm
    >
    > "People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them
    > about lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'.
    > But they're not used to having their wit engaged,"
    >
    > "There's an element of fun and mischief, but underneath is the
    > ambition to encourage people to re-examine how roads are used,"

    I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this of
    interest to uk.rec.cycling?

    --
    Ambrose

  4. sothach

    sothach Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this of
    > interest to uk.rec.cycling?

    Because motorists travelling at inappropriate speeds are killing us?

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Matt B wrote:
    > Surely not another solution which is _better_ than speed cameras ;-)
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm
    >
    > "People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them about
    > lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'. But they're not
    > used to having their wit engaged,"
    >
    > "There's an element of fun and mischief, but underneath is the ambition to
    > encourage people to re-examine how roads are used,"

    Indeed. Now for your next question. How many speed cameras are
    installed in 20 mph limits?

    How many such 'living rooms' would be appropriate traffic calming on a
    40mph through route in a rural village?

    ...d

  6. sothach wrote:
    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >> I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this
    >> of interest to uk.rec.cycling?

    > Because motorists travelling at inappropriate speeds are killing us?

    Speedophiles posting at innappropriate frequency and agression are
    disturbing us in the online world, though.

    --
    Ambrose

  7. sothach wrote:
    > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    >> I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this
    >> of interest to uk.rec.cycling?

    > Because motorists travelling at inappropriate speeds are killing us?

    On reflection, though, someone installing a sofa on a road is an interesting
    thing to point out, and part of the reason that cycling is so great.

    --
    Ambrose

  8. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Matt B came up with the following;:
    > Surely not another solution which is _better_ than speed cameras ;-)
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm
    >
    > "People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them about
    > lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'. But they're
    > not used to having their wit engaged,"
    >
    > "There's an element of fun and mischief, but underneath is the ambition to
    > encourage people to re-examine how roads are used,"

    "It's this sense of entitlement that he says he wants to challenge - leaving
    a 4x4 blocking half the street is called parking but a couple of chairs and
    a magazine rack put in the same place is seen as a senseless provocation. "

    Maybe that's because a 4x4 can be legally parked on a road, whereas a few
    chairs and a magazine rack could be seen to be Fly-Tipping and illegal.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  9. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Matt B wrote:
    >> Surely not another solution which is _better_ than speed cameras ;-)
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm
    >>
    >> "People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them
    >> about lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'.
    >> But they're not used to having their wit engaged,"
    >>
    >> "There's an element of fun and mischief, but underneath is the
    >> ambition to encourage people to re-examine how roads are used,"

    > I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this of
    > interest to uk.rec.cycling?

    OT: means Off Topic.

    e.g. OT: What's this fish doing in my bed?

  10. p.k.

    p.k. Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > e.g. OT: What's this fish doing in my bed?

    That's not a fish it's an old trout!

    pk

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    p.k. wrote:
    > elyob wrote:
    >
    >>e.g. OT: What's this fish doing in my bed?

    > That's not a fish it's an old trout!

    B'boom tssss! ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  12. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Matt B wrote:
    >>> Surely not another solution which is _better_ than speed cameras ;-)
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm
    >>>
    >>> "People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them
    >>> about lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'.
    >>> But they're not used to having their wit engaged,"
    >>>
    >>> "There's an element of fun and mischief, but underneath is the
    >>> ambition to encourage people to re-examine how roads are used,"

    >> I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this of
    >> interest to uk.rec.cycling?
    >>

    > OT: means Off Topic.
    >
    > e.g. OT: What's this fish doing in my bed?

    Seems to be a bit of *carping* going on in this thread. People should learn
    to keep a sense of *scale* and *propoise-tion*, otherwise they could end up
    *netting* more than they bargained for.

    Cheers, helen s

  13. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > Seems to be a bit of *carping* going on in this thread. People should learn
    > to keep a sense of *scale* and *propoise-tion*, otherwise they could end up
    > *netting* more than they bargained for.

    Is the sole reason you post to make bad puns? You cod get knocked off
    your perch soon enough.

    ...d

  14. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >>
    >> Seems to be a bit of *carping* going on in this thread. People should
    >> learn
    >> to keep a sense of *scale* and *propoise-tion*, otherwise they could end
    >> up
    >> *netting* more than they bargained for.
    >>

    > Is the sole reason you post to make bad puns? You cod get knocked off
    > your perch soon enough.
    >
    > ..d

    Oh I've never haddock-nuff of bad puns ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  15. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > wafflycat wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Seems to be a bit of *carping* going on in this thread. People should
    > >> learn
    > >> to keep a sense of *scale* and *propoise-tion*, otherwise they could

    end
    > >> up
    > >> *netting* more than they bargained for.
    > >>

    > > Is the sole reason you post to make bad puns? You cod get knocked off
    > > your perch soon enough.
    > >
    > > ..d

    > Oh I've never haddock-nuff of bad puns ;-)

    Well I've had a whale of a time reading them.

    Note to pedants: Yes, I know a whale isn't a fish but wtf, we're 'avin' a
    larf.
    --
    Pete
    http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

  16. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > sothach wrote:
    > > Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > >> I understand that speed limits aren't applied to bikes. How is this
    > >> of interest to uk.rec.cycling?

    > > Because motorists travelling at inappropriate speeds are killing us?

    > Speedophiles posting at innappropriate frequency and agression are
    > disturbing us in the online world, though.

    Speak for yourself, they're not disturbing me and anyway you don't have to
    read their posts.
    --
    Pete
    http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

  17. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:23:06 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    <[email protected]> said in <[email protected]>:

    >Speedophiles posting at innappropriate frequency and agression are
    >disturbing us in the online world, though.

    Mr Read deals with MattB's fatuous maunderings for me :)

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  18. On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:24:28 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >Note to pedants: Yes, I know a whale isn't a fish but wtf, we're 'avin' a
    >larf.

    Kipper civil tongue in your head.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  19. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > Seems to be a bit of *carping* going on in this thread. People should learn
    > to keep a sense of *scale* and *propoise-tion*, otherwise they could end up
    > *netting* more than they bargained for.

    There's always salmon who has to start on the puns, isn't there?

    --
    Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
    <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

  20. Danny Colyer wrote:
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >> Seems to be a bit of *carping* going on in this thread. People
    >> should learn to keep a sense of *scale* and *propoise-tion*,
    >> otherwise they could end up *netting* more than they bargained for.

    > There's always salmon who has to start on the puns, isn't there?

    I've haddock with this lot.