OT: Any Thunderbird Users Here?

MSA

Guest
Love Thunderbird, but there are a couple of things I can't seem to
fathom out how to do.

Any Thunderbird Users that can help perhaps? I'll wait for any answers
before I post my issue!

Thanks,

--
Mark

Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before

MSA wrote:
> Love Thunderbird, but there are a couple of things I can't seem to
> fathom out how to do.
>
> Any Thunderbird Users that can help perhaps? I'll wait for any answers
> before I post my issue!
>

> Thanks,

Yes, can't promise I'll have any answers though, specially if you don't
ask the questions first :)

--

Velvet

MSA wrote:
> Any Thunderbird Users that can help perhaps?

A fair few, judging by the names that I recognise posting to
alt.fan.mozilla.

> I'll wait for any answers before I post my issue!

Have you Googled to see if the issue has been posted (and answered)
before on afm?

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:43:04 +0100, MSA <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any Thunderbird Users that can help perhaps? I'll wait for any answers
> before I post my issue!

Thunderbird user, but don't know if I can help. I prefer pine,
actually, because that _always_ does exactly what I want.

If we're on teh topic of thunderbird, how does one ensure it always
and only definitely only sends plain text?

regards, Ian SMith

Ian Smith wrote:
> If we're on teh topic of thunderbird, how does one ensure it always
> and only definitely only sends plain text?

Tools | Account Settings | Composition and Addressing. Make sure
"Compose messages in HTML format" is not ticked. I think that should do it.

Tosspot wrote:
> MSA wrote:
>
>> Love Thunderbird, but there are a couple of things I can't seem to
>> fathom out how to do.

> Its the dogs wobblers, especially when posting ******.

I didn't ask the question first just in case I was the only user
here...didn't want to rattle on for nothing! I've searched all over the
WWW for an answer but nothing found..I find any tips/FAQ's for the
newsreader to be pretty thin on the ground?

Anyway, previous to Thunderbird I used Gravity, previous to Gravity I
was a M$ LookOut user.

My version of Gravity is 1.0 (is it worth updating if there is one?).

Right, my problem...

I currently have Thunderbirds view set as "Threads with Unread", the
window view is set to "All". In Gravity I had a view set up so that I
could view any posts that I made, but showed along with other posts in
that thread. I can view my posts by setting the window view to "From
Me" (not rocket science that one!), but it only shows my post and no
others which is not what I want.

Also, whats the best way to flag a thread that I particularly want to
follow...do I "label" it, do I "flag" it?

At the moment all I do is read the threads I'm interested in, hit
"shift/control k" on ones I'm not, or "shift/control c" to mark the
thread as read. Is there a more efficient way to set it up...how do
others use it?

Sorry if these are basic questions but I used Gravity for many years and
really want to make a permanent switch to Thunderbird, I love it's
functionality and robustness.

Cheers in advance.

--

MSA wrote:
> I currently have Thunderbirds view set as "Threads with Unread", the
> window view is set to "All". In Gravity I had a view set up so that I
> could view any posts that I made, but showed along with other posts in
> that thread. I can view my posts by setting the window view to "From
> Me" (not rocket science that one!), but it only shows my post and no
> others which is not what I want.

The closest thing I can think of to that would be to leave your own
messages unread. With your view set to threads with unread, that would
mean that those threads would remain displayed.

> Also, whats the best way to flag a thread that I particularly want to
> follow...do I "label" it, do I "flag" it?

Hit 'w' (has to be lower case). That marks the thread as watched.
Doesn't work terribly well, though, IME. The thread colour doesn't
change (as in OE), instead the icon in the "Click to display message
threads" column changes. Unfortunately, it doesn't *always* change.

(I can't tell you what it should change to, because that varies from
theme to theme).

> At the moment all I do is read the threads I'm interested in, hit
> "shift/control k" on ones I'm not,...

"k" on it's own should suffice (must be lower case).

> ... or "shift/control c" to mark the
> thread as read. Is there a more efficient way to set it up...how do
> others use it?

The same.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> MSA wrote:

> The closest thing I can think of to that would be to leave your own
> messages unread. With your view set to threads with unread, that would
> mean that those threads would remain displayed.

Yep, never thought of that. Not brilliant, but it works!

>> Also, whats the best way to flag a thread that I particularly want to
>> follow...do I "label" it, do I "flag" it?

Unfortunately, it doesn't *always* change.

Just tried that, and no, it didn't work :)

> "k" on it's own should suffice (must be lower case).

So it does, ta!

--

MSA wrote:

> I didn't ask the question first just in case I was the only user
> here...didn't want to rattle on for nothing! I've searched all over the
> WWW for an answer but nothing found..I find any tips/FAQ's for the
> newsreader to be pretty thin on the ground?

Best place to ask is alt.fan.mozilla where the real Tbird experts
reside. They can tell you how to go in and edit files to get just the
customisation you want

Tony

MSA a écrit :

> Any Thunderbird Users that can help perhaps? I'll wait for any answers
> before I post my issue!

I'm a very new Tbird user, only started a few weeks ago, so alas cannot
help as I'm full of questions of my own.

But since we're on the off-topic topic ... Does anyone know how to
change the way the date is displayed to European style (dd/mm/yyyy) as
opposed to US style (mm/dd/yyyy)? There must be a way, because I have
the European display on my office machine. But the download I have on my
home machine is US style and I'm finding it very annoying.

Thanks,

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:15:23 +0100, MSA wrote:

> Anyway, previous to Thunderbird I used Gravity, previous to Gravity I
> was a M$ LookOut user.
>
> My version of Gravity is 1.0 (is it worth updating if there is one?).
>
> Right, my problem...

I persevered with Thunderbird as my newsreader for some time but
unfortunately I found it to be a bit feature poor for news reading. I have
now switched to another free program called 40tude Dialog which I am happy
with. I continue to use Thunderbird as my email client though.

Initially Dialog seemed to lack a 'highlight threads that I am involved
with' feature too but on closer examination this can be implemented using
the scoring feature. I simply set some rules so that it promotes any
message that I have posted to a score of +50. Any message that is a reply
to a message which I wrote gets a +100 added to its score. I then sort all
message threads by average score and then date. This puts the threads with
replies to my messages at the top, threads that simply have a message
authored by me next and then normal threads bellow. There is also a filter
to give any messages sent to more than three groups a -10 score.

As I say, if you do consider switching, give Dialog a search and see what
you think. I'm really happy with it.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
np:

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
> MSA a écrit :
>
>> Any Thunderbird Users that can help perhaps? I'll wait for any
>> answers before I post my issue!

> I'm a very new Tbird user, only started a few weeks ago, so alas cannot
> help as I'm full of questions of my own.
>
> But since we're on the off-topic topic ... Does anyone know how to
> change the way the date is displayed to European style (dd/mm/yyyy) as
> opposed to US style (mm/dd/yyyy)? There must be a way, because I have
> the European display on my office machine. But the download I have on my
> home machine is US style and I'm finding it very annoying.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Elisa Francesca Roselli
> Ile de France

Yep, done that. Have a look at: