OT: Anyone every heard of an Obrien bike?

Hi Rick, I've got an O'Brien. (no pic), got mine off ebay for £2.25, rusted,
flaky and missing many components. (looks alright now). I posted this
question verbatim a few months ago, didn't hear a sausage for about 3 weeks
and then one post reply turned out to be, bahbahbaaaah! Mr O'Brien.
Unfortunately virus destroyed my pc so lost his email address and website.
He did say that O'Brien bikes are all custom made for their owners.
If your out there Mr O'Brien, i'd still like to know what model i
have. ----- just had a google groups search, couldn't find message but found
this.....

snip-----
David wrote:
> A question for the oldies...

> I have come across something that looks like a real bargain. An O'Brien
> Challenger road bike.

> I seem to remember Rory O'Briens being very sought more than 20 years
> ago. Any idea whether this comes from the same framebuilder. I cna't
> find any web presence so I suspect they disappeared before the internet
> took off.

Rory didn't actually make the frames that carried his name. He used a
number of East London frame builders. He retired in the mid 70s and
died in the late 80s. The business still exists
Rory O'Brien Cycles
134 North Street
Romford
Essex Tel 01708 741588

Oldie Rory-owner Bob ([email protected])
-end snip

RS <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> An image is here: www.rickschiller.com/obrien.jpg Steel Colombus
> framing, pretty light and old school with down tube shifters. Any
> information on the bike and value appreciated.
>
> Rick

Hello. Is it this guy <http://homepage.mac.com/mpobrien/>? I rode for a while
behind this Mr. O'Brien here in Seattle where I think he lives.

Cyclopath! - Keiron wrote:

> Hi Rick, I've got an O'Brien. (no pic), got mine off ebay for £2.25, rusted,
> flaky and missing many components. (looks alright now). I posted this
> question verbatim a few months ago, didn't hear a sausage for about 3 weeks
> and then one post reply turned out to be, bahbahbaaaah! Mr O'Brien.
> Unfortunately virus destroyed my pc so lost his email address and website.
> He did say that O'Brien bikes are all custom made for their owners.
> If your out there Mr O'Brien, i'd still like to know what model i
> have. ----- just had a google groups search, couldn't find message but found
> this.....
>
> snip-----
> David wrote:
>
>>A question for the oldies...

>>I have come across something that looks like a real bargain. An O'Brien
>>Challenger road bike.

>>I seem to remember Rory O'Briens being very sought more than 20 years
>>ago. Any idea whether this comes from the same framebuilder. I cna't
>>find any web presence so I suspect they disappeared before the internet
>>took off.

> Rory didn't actually make the frames that carried his name. He used a
> number of East London frame builders. He retired in the mid 70s and
> died in the late 80s. The business still exists
> Rory O'Brien Cycles
> 134 North Street
> Romford
> Essex Tel 01708 741588
>
> Oldie Rory-owner Bob ([email protected])
> -end snip
>
> RS <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>An image is here: www.rickschiller.com/obrien.jpg Steel Colombus
>>framing, pretty light and old school with down tube shifters. Any
>>information on the bike and value appreciated.
>>
>>Rick

David, that site does look like the same O'Brien decal on the bike, I'll try to get
ahold of the guy. Bike model is Obrien extreme.

thanks to all

Rick

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...