OT: Anyone know how to delete The Trickler?!?

Wow, you must be incredibly intelligent to come up with that fix :)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
> > Thanks Matt and John -- here's the current:
> >
> > I have Win 98. The error message (when I try to Restart in DOS) is a Windows Protection dealie.
> >
> > Did the F8 thing -- got the menu of choices -- picked #5 (Boot to
Command
> > Prompt, I think it was).
> >
> > Successfully got to the file...and it STILL won't delete! ("Access
> Denied"
> > again.)
> >
> > I probably should leave well enough alone (everything's working as well
as
> > this buggy K6-2 allows, anyway), but it just, er, bugs me!
> >
> > Bill "I could try SAFE MODE command prompt I suppose (but bet it won't
> make
> > a diff.)" S.
> >
> > PS: Due for a new Dell, Dude, anyway -- just always hate the ordeal of setting up ****...
> >

> How odd. I'd give the Safe Mode Command Prompt a try. Maybe the thing is loading from Autoexec.bat
> or config.sys which are both still run when you boot into Command Prompt (non-safe). But it seems
> like an outside shot.
Most
> of these spyware apps use a more sophisticated method to load. If it still won't delete in SMCP
> you can try one more thing. Go to where this file is and type in the following:
>
> attrib -s -h -r <filename>
>
> It's possible that it's marked at a System file (s), Hidden file (h) or
Read
> only (r) and that's why you can't delete it (although I'm pretty sure read-only doesn't matter but
> this shouldn't hurt). This will remove those settings. Then try to del it again.
>
> Matt (takin it personal now - Trickler MUST DIE!!!)

RTFP Craig, it's still happening when booted into DOS. Face it, I'm just smarter than you! :)

Si Hamilton, New Zealand

> This all may be overkill. Is it because the application is already up? If
IE
> is up (and perhaps anything which talks to the internet) tickler comes up. try to reboot, don't
> bring anything up except ad-aware and try again.
>
> Good luck!
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

> Are you sure you want to discuss something as 'sensitive' as that in a public forum? You could go
> get some antibiotics. ;^)
>
> Mike - first Darsh now Bill...hmmmm.

Ain't got no case of Burnin' Burnin' Love!

Bill "and I'll leave the 'dribblin'' to {that bald guy on the Harlem Globetrotters}" S.

Windows - A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit
operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit
company that can't stand one bit of competition

> Thanks again, guys -- I learned DOS commands back in the old days, but was smart enough NOT to
> learn how to mess with ATTRIB lest I screw up things BAD!
>
> Bill "our long (inter?)national nightmare has ended" S.

Post time: Matt B: 3:26PM EST Si: 3:33PM EST

You must be incredibly unintelligent to not notice that he got there first. Face it, we're just
smarter than you :)

Si wrote:
> Wow, you must be incredibly intelligent to come up with that fix :)
>

> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]... <snip>
>>
>>>Thanks Matt and John -- here's the current:
>>>
>>>I have Win 98. The error message (when I try to Restart in DOS) is a Windows Protection dealie.
>>>
>>>Did the F8 thing -- got the menu of choices -- picked #5 (Boot to
>>
> Command
>
>>>Prompt, I think it was).
>>>
>>>Successfully got to the file...and it STILL won't delete! ("Access
>>
>>Denied"
>>
>>>again.)
>>>
>>>I probably should leave well enough alone (everything's working as well
>>
> as
>
>>>this buggy K6-2 allows, anyway), but it just, er, bugs me!
>>>
>>>Bill "I could try SAFE MODE command prompt I suppose (but bet it won't
>>
>>make
>>
>>>a diff.)" S.
>>>
>>>PS: Due for a new Dell, Dude, anyway -- just always hate the ordeal of setting up ****...
>>>

>>How odd. I'd give the Safe Mode Command Prompt a try. Maybe the thing is loading from Autoexec.bat
>>or config.sys which are both still run when you boot into Command Prompt (non-safe). But it seems
>>like an outside shot.
>
> Most
>
>>of these spyware apps use a more sophisticated method to load. If it still won't delete in SMCP
>>you can try one more thing. Go to where this file is and type in the following:
>>
>>attrib -s -h -r <filename>
>>
>>It's possible that it's marked at a System file (s), Hidden file (h) or
>
> Read
>
>>only (r) and that's why you can't delete it (although I'm pretty sure read-only doesn't matter but
>>this shouldn't hurt). This will remove those settings. Then try to del it again.
>>
>>Matt (takin it personal now - Trickler MUST DIE!!!)

<snip huge amounts of info>

WOW, I am amazed at the amount of IT info that floats around this group. My silly suggestion to
think about a new Mac is irrellivant. Still amazed about the depth of info here....

"Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> <snip huge amounts of info>
>
> WOW, I am amazed at the amount of IT info that floats around this group. My silly suggestion to
> think about a new Mac is irrellivant. Still amazed about the depth of info here....

That's amb....all geeks, all the time.
--
Slacker

"Si" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Wow, you must be incredibly intelligent to come up with that fix :)

No, he's just incredibly OLD, to still remember DOS commands like attrib ;) I've used it myself when
windows thinks it's smarter than me and won't let me access certain files.

Trentus

Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tried 3 times now. Get an error message (non Blue Screen) saying computer needs to re-start; I
> press any key and it shuts off. (My machine has more bugs than Rimmer's family tree!)

You are cruel and very mean Bill ;-(

Shaun aRe

Sorni wrote:

> Anyone know what I should do?!?

format c:

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

if changing the attrib didn't help and you still cant delete it what if you boot from a start-up
diskette? then it wouldn't matter what was it the config.sys or autoexec.bat

"Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> <snip huge amounts of info>
>
> WOW, I am amazed at the amount of IT info that floats around this group.
My
> silly suggestion to think about a new Mac is irrellivant. Still amazed about the depth of info
> here....

I gotta' earn money for bikes somehow. I can just practice on folks like Greg's PCs for free and
then offer him his money back if it wrecks it.

Matt

> Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Tried 3 times now. Get an error message (non Blue Screen) saying
computer
> > needs to re-start; I press any key and it shuts off. (My machine has
more
> > bugs than Rimmer's family tree!)
>
> You are cruel and very mean Bill ;-(

You forgot "smell of poo", too!

Bill "sorry, Shaun...it was said with affection (the good kind)" S.

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Si" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Wow, you must be incredibly intelligent to come up with that fix :)
>
> No, he's just incredibly OLD, to still remember DOS commands like attrib
;)
> I've used it myself when windows thinks it's smarter than me and won't let me access
> certain files.
>
> Trentus

Old? Bah! I'm younger than the one I was advising with my crusty DOS knowledge.

How young are YOU?

Matt (younger even than my years would suggest)

> >>format c:
> >>

> > Are you sure? (Y/N)
>
> No, you don't want to bother with user interaction, just use
>
> deltree /Y c:
>
> Always a winner with clueless users... };)

As was del *.*

Westie

Back in my day young whipper-snappers like you had respect for their elders!