OT: Anyone using Mozilla Thunderbird?

Marty Wallace

Guest
Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
looks ok.

Marty

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
> looks ok.

I downloaded it a while ago but never got around to installing
it (too many other things to fix on my pc first!). Let us know
if it's any good, ya?

hippy
- now with new improved BIOS 1009! ooh ahh!

Marty Wallace wrote:
> Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
> looks ok.
>
> Marty

Ive been using Mozilla 1.6 browser and Email for a while now. No problems.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell

Jack Russell wrote:

> Marty Wallace wrote:
>
>> Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and
>> it looks ok.
>>
>> Marty

> Ive been using Mozilla 1.6 browser and Email for a while now. No problems.

Yes, I use Thunderbird for usenet. I've got a mac and use the Mail
program that comes with that. I use Safari for nearly all my web
stuff although I have Mozilla and Explorer as well.

I used to use Netscape Communicator (web, mail and news in one app)
but it became too cumbersome in later versions. Also, Mail and
Safari talk to each other (and other apps like addressbook) in a
convenient way.

Cheers,
Duncan.

ObBicycle - took the fixie out for a 30km ride this morning. Good
to get back on it.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 at 00:59 GMT, Marty Wallace (aka Bruce)
> Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
> looks ok.

Bloody bloatware.

Mozilla I find is almost unusable. Unfortunately, all other browsers
suck harder. Galeon used to be nice, but then some moron upgraded it
to GTK 2 or somesuch.

If you're too open minded, your brains will fall out. --unk

Marty Wallace wrote:
> Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
> looks ok.

been happily using it for months..

runs fine under windows and linux (on i386 and ppc)

we're using at work to replace ms outlook.
its a whole lot less support problems for us =)
has a sensible spam/junk filter and very good imap support.

regards,

kim

hippy wrote:
> "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
>>looks ok.

> I downloaded it a while ago but never got around to installing
> it (too many other things to fix on my pc first!). Let us know
> if it's any good, ya?
>
> hippy
> - now with new improved BIOS 1009! ooh ahh!

So far it seems to be good.
Anything that's not tied up like Microsoft stuff has got to be good.
I've made it my default email and newsgroup reader.

Marty

TimC wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 at 00:59 GMT, Marty Wallace (aka Bruce)
>
>>Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
>>looks ok.

> Bloody bloatware.
>
> Mozilla I find is almost unusable. Unfortunately, all other browsers
> suck harder. Galeon used to be nice, but then some moron upgraded it
> to GTK 2 or somesuch.

Bloatware? You're joking right ...

ThunderBird is supplied as a 6MB download. Not at all big...

Think you should give it a decent test drive before commenting further.

pyro

Marty Wallace wrote:
> Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and it
> looks ok.
>
> Marty

Been using it for a couple of months after using Mozilla v1.x for ages.

Fairly fast and more importantly the Mozilla multiple mail file
(messages are stored in original text format in mail files) approach
aids with making frequent realtime backups.

A few more small glitches (eg mail filters sometimes don't work quite as
expected) but certainly no show stoppers.

Definitely ready for prime time.

pyro

On 2005-01-24, Mr Pyro <pyro@localhost> wrote:
> TimC wrote:

[on Thunderbird]
>> Bloody bloatware.
>>
>> Mozilla I find is almost unusable. Unfortunately, all other browsers
>> suck harder. Galeon used to be nice, but then some moron upgraded it
>> to GTK 2 or somesuch.

> Bloatware? You're joking right ...
>
> ThunderBird is supplied as a 6MB download. Not at all big...

Now I'm feeling old. I remember the days when a mail client (Pegasus
Mail, to be precise) fit very comfortably on a 1.44 MB floppy. It
wouldn't surprise me if it fit very comfortably on a 720 KB floppy ...

Duncan Farrow wrote:
> Jack Russell wrote:
>
>> Marty Wallace wrote:
>>
>>> Is anyone here using Mozilla Thunderbird. I've just downloaded it and
>>> it looks ok.
>>>
>>> Marty

>> Ive been using Mozilla 1.6 browser and Email for a while now. No
>> problems.
>>

> Yes, I use Thunderbird for usenet. I've got a mac and use the Mail
> program that comes with that. I use Safari for nearly all my web
> stuff although I have Mozilla and Explorer as well.
>
> I used to use Netscape Communicator (web, mail and news in one app)
> but it became too cumbersome in later versions. Also, Mail and
> Safari talk to each other (and other apps like addressbook) in a
> convenient way.
>
> Cheers,
> Duncan.

The Thunderbird spam collector works well. Very clever.

Marty

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 at 04:39 GMT, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
> On 2005-01-24, Mr Pyro <pyro@localhost> wrote:
>> TimC wrote:

> [on Thunderbird]
>>> Bloody bloatware.
>>>
>>> Mozilla I find is almost unusable. Unfortunately, all other browsers
>>> suck harder. Galeon used to be nice, but then some moron upgraded it
>>> to GTK 2 or somesuch.

>> Bloatware? You're joking right ...

Way more bloated than what it needs to be. And damn slow on my 500MHz
box. I remember reporting a bug report years ago essentially saying
this was too slow (download manager handling -- it was taking a second
to add or delete a single item from a download manager history list
(which seems to form no useful purpose, because you can't resume dead
downloads, anyway) with only a few tens of thousand entries in it -
how hard is it to implement a damned linked list?). I wanted orders
of magnitude speedup. They closed the bug a few months later, saying
it had been fixed in the latest release. It was now 20% quicker. I
don't even *notice* 20% -- I'm an astronomer, dammit!

> Now I'm feeling old. I remember the days when a mail client (Pegasus
> Mail, to be precise) fit very comfortably on a 1.44 MB floppy. It
> wouldn't surprise me if it fit very comfortably on a 720 KB floppy ...

> du -h `which pine`

3.5M /usr/bin/pine

3.5MB for a text based email client?! Furrfu!

PB during commuting this morning - 24.5. I might be able to crack a
25km/h average soon! And I'm not even a lard ****; slow, but not lard
:) I got a bit of extra energy along Burwood road towards the uni, and
was passing cars that were all doing about 45. I was doing 50 up a
slight uphill. Usually maybe doing 35 there. The wind at melbourne
airport was going slightly against me, but I can't recall what the
wind was doing where I actually was - whether I had a headwind or not.
It was only low knottage, anyway.

I suspect I may be slower tomorrow. I hope I remember to get up
early...

I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my sister. --unk

Mr Pyro wrote:

> A few more small glitches (eg mail filters sometimes don't work quite as
> expected) but certainly no show stoppers.

This was broken with the latest version, earlier versions' filters worked
correctly.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

Stuart Lamble <[email protected]> wrote:
> Now I'm feeling old. I remember the days when a mail client (Pegasus
> Mail, to be precise) fit very comfortably on a 1.44 MB floppy. It
> wouldn't surprise me if it fit very comfortably on a 720 KB floppy ...

You young whippersnapper you.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter McCallum wrote:
> Stuart Lamble <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Now I'm feeling old. I remember the days when a mail client (Pegasus
>>Mail, to be precise) fit very comfortably on a 1.44 MB floppy. It
>>wouldn't surprise me if it fit very comfortably on a 720 KB floppy ...

> You young whippersnapper you.

Don't get me started. My ZX80 had one K of memory and you buy a second k
for an extra $100. I think it came standard on the ZX81.

Marty

Marty Wallace wrote:
> Peter McCallum wrote:
>
>> Stuart Lamble <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Now I'm feeling old. I remember the days when a mail client (Pegasus
>>> Mail, to be precise) fit very comfortably on a 1.44 MB floppy. It
>>> wouldn't surprise me if it fit very comfortably on a 720 KB floppy ...

>> You young whippersnapper you.
>>

> Don't get me started. My ZX80 had one K of memory and you buy a second k
> for an extra $100. I think it came standard on the ZX81.
>
> Marty

You are are just a novice, my first mine frame had 1k and it cost
hundreds of thousands. When we got 4k we thought no one would ever write
a program that big!

--

Duncan Farrow said:
Yes, I use Thunderbird for usenet. I've got a mac and use the Mail
program that comes with that. I use Safari for nearly all my web
stuff although I have Mozilla and Explorer as well.

I used to use Netscape Communicator (web, mail and news in one app)
but it became too cumbersome in later versions. Also, Mail and
Safari talk to each other (and other apps like addressbook) in a
convenient way.

Cheers,
Duncan.

ObBicycle - took the fixie out for a 30km ride this morning. Good
to get back on it.

So there IS a newsreader for Mac?
would be nice to not have to go online on the virus-collectin-insane-PC and just keep it for the HRM :D

F"the anwer no doubt is in one of them boring FAQs..." Dutch

Most of 'em are listed at <http://www.macorchard.com/>