OT: AOL question

Peter Aitken

Guest
A friend who uses AOL has asked me how, when she replies to an email
message, she can automatically quote the message she is replying to in her
message. I do not know this program and if someone can tell me the precise
steps for setting this option I would appreciate it. It's AOL 9.0.

TIA

--
Peter Aitken
Remove the **** from my email before using.

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A friend who uses AOL has asked me how, when she replies to an email
>message, she can automatically quote the message she is replying to in her
>message. I do not know this program and if someone can tell me the precise
>steps for setting this option I would appreciate it. It's AOL 9.0.
>
> TIA

AOL was designed for children. It's virtually guaranteed that if she
explores the menus and on-screen instructions, she'll find an option she can
check which does what she's asking for.

click on Ctrl A and then hit reply.
If she just wants to quote part of the msg, she just needs to highlight the
area she would like to quote.

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A friend who uses AOL has asked me how, when she replies to an email
>message, she can automatically quote the message she is replying to in her
>message. I do not know this program and if someone can tell me the precise
>steps for setting this option I would appreciate it. It's AOL 9.0.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
> Remove the **** from my email before using.

A much simpler way to reply, with AOL:

Just hit the "reply" button in the upper right-hand corner. Piece of
cake.

Nancree

Thanks!

"Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> click on Ctrl A and then hit reply.
> If she just wants to quote part of the msg, she just needs to highlight
> the area she would like to quote.

"nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A much simpler way to reply, with AOL:
>
> Just hit the "reply" button in the upper right-hand corner. Piece of
> cake.
>
> Nancree

That will reply but not quote.

nancree wrote:
> A much simpler way to reply, with AOL:
>
> Just hit the "reply" button in the upper right-hand corner. Piece of
> cake.

Bull... that will give a blank screen, you've quoted nothing unless you
highlight thr portion you wish to quote... AOL Email works exactly the
same as any other (no simpler, no more difficult), just has many more
more options (bells & whistles).

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:
> nancree wrote:
>
>>A much simpler way to reply, with AOL:
>>
>>Just hit the "reply" button in the upper right-hand corner. Piece of
>>cake.

> Bull... that will give a blank screen, you've quoted nothing unless you
> highlight thr portion you wish to quote... AOL Email works exactly the
> same as any other (no simpler, no more difficult), just has many more
> more options (bells & whistles).
>
> Sheldon

I found AOL's email system to be much more convoluted than using either
Outlook or Thunderbird.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

sarah bennett wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > nancree wrote:
> >
> >>A much simpler way to reply, with AOL:
> >>
> >>Just hit the "reply" button in the upper right-hand corner. Piece of
> >>cake.

> > Bull... that will give a blank screen, you've quoted nothing unless you
> > highlight thr portion you wish to quote... AOL Email works exactly the
> > same as any other (no simpler, no more difficult), just has many more
> > options (bells & whistles).
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> I found AOL's email system to be much more convoluted than using either
> Outlook or Thunderbird.

Convoluted... convoluted how... couldn't be easier. Then I don't
believe you ever had a AOL account... most (like the vast, vast
majority) who make disparaging remarks about AOL have never used it...
in fact most of those have not only never had an AOL account they never
had their own ISP at all, they steal net services from their employer
and/or use one of the many local freebies to get on line, like from a
public library, and then start up a hotmail account to hide the fact
that they're cheap bastards on line for free... I have more respect for
webtv'ers.

Sheldon wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>>Bull... that will give a blank screen, you've quoted nothing unless you
>>>highlight thr portion you wish to quote... AOL Email works exactly the
>>>same as any other (no simpler, no more difficult), just has many more
>>>options (bells & whistles).
>>>
>>>Sheldon
>>>

>>I found AOL's email system to be much more convoluted than using either
>>Outlook or Thunderbird.

> Convoluted... convoluted how... couldn't be easier.

I think that having to search for how to quote something instead of
being able to set it up to do that automatically, is convoluted. Most of
the people I know who use AOL have absolutely no need to do so. All they
use is the web and instant messaging, which can be found for much less
money, and higher quality, elsewhere.

>Then I don't
> believe you ever had a AOL account

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&hl=en

I used AOL for years and years, first when I was new to the internet
(circa 1994), and then later when I lived with my in-laws, and they let
us have screen names on their account. I pay less for DSL than the base
price for AOL these days, and that includes newsgroup access, which AOL
has discontinued. My in-laws now pay for AOL *and* cable internet, and
nothing I tell them will dissuade them. Oh well.

>... most (like the vast, vast
> majority) who make disparaging remarks about AOL have never used it...
> in fact most of those have not only never had an AOL account they never
> had their own ISP at all, they steal net services from their employer
> and/or use one of the many local freebies to get on line, like from a
> public library, and then start up a hotmail account to hide the fact
> that they're cheap bastards on line for free... I have more respect for
> webtv'ers.

I don't know much about WebTV, but I know from experience that AOL does
some really shady things. They claimed my husband spun off his screen
name into a separate account(He didn't. Why would he? They said it was a
pop-up that he would have had to click on to confirm. I had seen this
pop-up on my own screen name, and when it first popped up, I told my
husband about it. We agreed that the whole notion of changing an account
that easily was shady.) and started billing us twice every month. When I
called to complain, they told me that they could only reimburse me for
three out of five months that they had been doing this for. (I had not
noticed because I had stopped balancing my checkbook monthly, instead
checking off things as they showed up on my bank's online system, and
AOL was billing the two "accounts" weeks apart from each other). When I
tried to cancel my account with them, they all but refused to do so, and
even then, after I had gotten confirmation of my cancellation, I was
still being charged. When I called with my confirmation number after I
noticed that they were still charging me, they told me that my account
had never been canceled, and that I was a liar. After about an hour of
explaining over and over that I no longer wanted their service, they
finally canceled my account. I thought it was a fluke, until I found
many accounts online of people with the same problems.

--

sarah bennett wrote:
> I don't know much about WebTV, but I know from experience that AOL does
> some really shady things. They claimed my husband spun off his screen
> name into a separate account(He didn't. Why would he? They said it was a
> pop-up that he would have had to click on to confirm. I had seen this
> pop-up on my own screen name, and when it first popped up, I told my
> husband about it. We agreed that the whole notion of changing an account
> that easily was shady.) and started billing us twice every month. When I
> called to complain, they told me that they could only reimburse me for
> three out of five months that they had been doing this for. (I had not
> noticed because I had stopped balancing my checkbook monthly, instead
> checking off things as they showed up on my bank's online system, and
> AOL was billing the two "accounts" weeks apart from each other). When I
> tried to cancel my account with them, they all but refused to do so, and
> even then, after I had gotten confirmation of my cancellation, I was
> still being charged. When I called with my confirmation number after I
> noticed that they were still charging me, they told me that my account
> had never been canceled, and that I was a liar. After about an hour of
> explaining over and over that I no longer wanted their service, they
> finally canceled my account. I thought it was a fluke, until I found
> many accounts online of people with the same problems.

I was on AOL back in 94/95 when I got my first computer and modem. After a
while it just seemed like I was paying for all these 'features' but never
using any of them. We decided to switch to a real ISP, a local place that was
much cheaper. It was a nightmare to close the account, they kept arguing with
us and they kept having 'billing glitches' where they would continue to charge
my account.

Every time I called I just wanted to scream and pull my hair out, they were
like robots programmed to respond to everything with an outlining of their
'features' and some vague threats about the evils of entering the internet
without their guiding hand on my shoulder. Freaky.

Somehow I've managed to have internet access in my home since 95 either with
dial up, dsl or cable and the freaky scary internet hasn't gobbled me up yet.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> nancree wrote:
>> A much simpler way to reply, with AOL:
>>
>> Just hit the "reply" button in the upper right-hand corner. Piece of
>> cake.

> Bull... that will give a blank screen, you've quoted nothing unless you
> highlight thr portion you wish to quote... AOL Email works exactly the
> same as any other (no simpler, no more difficult), just has many more
> more options (bells & whistles).
>
> Sheldon

"works the same as any other".....what? Toaster? I told you yesterday to
avoid the crank until later in the evening, ******. You can't participate in
a coherent fashion when you're in this condition.

sarah bennett wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > sarah bennett wrote:

> >>I found AOL's email system to be much more convoluted than using either
> >>Outlook or Thunderbird.

> > Convoluted... convoluted how... couldn't be easier.

> I think that having to search for how to quote something instead of
> being able to set it up to do that automatically, is convoluted.

Huh? How does one set which part(s) to quote automatically... what if
I want to quote just three particular words that are not contiguous?
Only way is to highlight, quote, then delete. That's true regardless
which carrier's email.

>Most of
> the people I know who use AOL have absolutely no need to do so. All they
> use is the web and instant messaging, which can be found for much less
> money, and higher quality, elsewhere.

What are you mumbling about, what you wrote makes not a whit of
sense... what does instant messaging have to do with email??? duh.

Like I said, regardless what you claim, right here you yourself prove
without any doubt whatsoever that you have never had an AOL account,
never used one, never even seen one.

You are a newbie, haven't been on line but a few months at best... hmm,
google says you began posting may of 2005... and not very prolifically.

And I don't want to hear how you changed handles, I won't believe you,
because what you write here proves you are as newbie as newbie can be.

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>>Convoluted... convoluted how... couldn't be easier.

>>I think that having to search for how to quote something instead of
>>being able to set it up to do that automatically, is convoluted.

> Huh? How does one set which part(s) to quote automatically... what if
> I want to quote just three particular words that are not contiguous?
> Only way is to highlight, quote, then delete. That's true regardless
> which carrier's email.

I have Thunderbird set to quote automatically. I trim if necessary.
Easier than hitting ctrl-c a bunch of times.

>>Most of
>>the people I know who use AOL have absolutely no need to do so. All they
>>use is the web and instant messaging, which can be found for much less
>>money, and higher quality, elsewhere.

> What are you mumbling about, what you wrote makes not a whit of
> sense... what does instant messaging have to do with email??? duh.

It has to do with AOL being unneccessary for most people who use it.

> Like I said, regardless what you claim, right here you yourself prove
> without any doubt whatsoever that you have never had an AOL account,
> never used one, never even seen one.

I gave you a link to the google archive of my aol days. You can find
even more if you search for "[email protected]" and
"[email protected]". Actually, you can just search for
"anisaerah", because AFAIK, I'm the only one on usenet who uses it.

> You are a newbie, haven't been on line but a few months at best... hmm,
> google says you began posting may of 2005... and not very prolifically.

Um, I switched to this ISP last May. I have been posting in this group
for years. Don't be a dumbass.

> And I don't want to hear how you changed handles, I won't believe you,
> because what you write here proves you are as newbie as newbie can be.

Oh whatever, Sheldon. I've used this handle on various ISPs since 1998.
Google it if you want; I already gave you a link to one.

--

sarah bennett wrote:

> I have Thunderbird set to quote automatically. I trim if necessary.
> Easier than hitting ctrl-c a bunch of times.

Why do you need to quote everything? What is so difficult about
highlighting just the portion needed? No one hit's ctrl-c a bunch of
times, harldy anyone uses that method at all, it makes for extra work.
And you obviously don't know how to trim your posts, the sign of a
newbie

> > What are you mumbling about, what you wrote makes not a whit of
> > sense... what does instant messaging have to do with email??? duh.
> >

> It has to do with AOL being unneccessary for most people who use it.

What a stupid statement. What are you mumbling about now... hardly
anything is necessary... believe it or not folks used to live quite
well before the internet... like you did a mere six months ago.

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:

> sarah bennett wrote:
>>>

>> I have Thunderbird set to quote automatically. I trim if necessary.
>> Easier than hitting ctrl-c a bunch of times.

> Why do you need to quote everything? What is so difficult about
> highlighting just the portion needed? No one hit's ctrl-c a bunch of
> times, harldy anyone uses that method at all, it makes for extra work.
> And you obviously don't know how to trim your posts, the sign of a
> newbie
>
>> > What are you mumbling about, what you wrote makes not a whit of
>> > sense... what does instant messaging have to do with email??? duh.
>> >

>> It has to do with AOL being unneccessary for most people who use it.

> What a stupid statement. What are you mumbling about now... hardly
> anything is necessary... believe it or not folks used to live quite
> well before the internet... like you did a mere six months ago.
>
> Sheldon

oh my god! I love reading your posts, they're like the funniest **** out
there. Just random logical leaps from here to there. I'd think you were stoned
but you're too damned cranky.

Ah well, you just keep on with your inherent nuttiness, fella.

--

Sheldon wrote:
>you obviously don't know how to trim your posts, the sign of a
> newbie

hmm? really?

>believe it or not folks used to live quite
> well before the internet... like you did a mere six months ago.

What is the point of you repeating this? I've been online for years-and
posting in this newsgroup since 1999. (I will admit, only regularly
since 2003)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=a...1&as_maxd=19&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2006&safe=off&

http://tinyurl.com/92xma

--

The Bubbo wrote:
>I'd think you were stoned
> but you're too damned cranky.

hee!

--

sarah bennett wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>>you obviously don't know how to trim your posts, the sign of a
>> newbie

> hmm? really?
>
>>believe it or not folks used to live quite
>> well before the internet... like you did a mere six months ago.

> What is the point of you repeating this? I've been online for years-and
> posting in this newsgroup since 1999. (I will admit, only regularly
> since 2003)
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=anisaerah+group:rec.food.cooking&start=7

00&scoring=d&num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_m
axd=19&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2006&safe=off&

> http://tinyurl.com/92xma

but it doesn't compute in his head! If he can't comprehend why you would do
something differently or whatever, then you must be wrong.

I just imagine a very very very little robot in his head flailing about
yelling "does not compute....does not compute...."

--

Sheldon wrote:
> nancree wrote:
>
>>A much simpler way to reply, with AOL:
>>
>>Just hit the "reply" button in the upper right-hand corner. Piece of
>>cake.

> Bull... that will give a blank screen, you've quoted nothing unless you
> highlight thr portion you wish to quote... AOL Email works exactly the
> same as any other (no simpler, no more difficult), just has many more
> more options (bells & whistles).
>
> Sheldon

Unfortunately there is nothing standard about aol. Their system is
designed for their users to interact with each other. I get really tired
having to deal with trying to send/receive attachments or anything that
works on a normal email system to an aol user.