Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Ot-AOL quoting 'style'

Started by Qui si parla Campagnolo · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,037 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 November 2004
Last activity
18 November 2004
Original author
Qui si parla Campagnolo
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,037
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    From: "B i l l S o r n s o n"

    Quoted message said:

    That's because he didn't QUOTE anything.

    Not entirely.

  2. Tom Paterson said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: "B i l l S o r n s o n"

    Quoted message said:

    That's because he didn't QUOTE anything.

    Not entirely.

    Look again.

  3. Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email hidden]> wrote:
    Tim:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'll admit I don't understand your attitude. People have been asking
    you to change your posting style- for years- so that they can more
    easily read what you have to say. Seems to me that's a compliment to
    you.


    It hasn't been 'for years'

    It's getting on for it; the first request I can find was in June 2003.

    Quoted message said:

    I'll change it, tell me how Tim...but as I stated, the 5 examples of quoting
    I received were just as I typed them with a bit of <BR> on them,

    But don't you notice how your quotes have paired angle brackets at the
    start and end - or worse yet, where you've done post facto editing, only
    one of those pairs (the post I am replying to here, for example, has only
    the leading pair rendering it difficult to distinguish your text from
    Tim's) - whereas most other people's prepends a single angle bracket to
    each line?

    Quoted message said:

    Help me quote so that you can easily read it but I think it's not nearly as
    problematic as you and David say.

    It is a particular nuisance in a case like this one where I must manually
    reformat the portion of Tim's misquoted article I want to retain; I will
    not post a mangled article except for the specific purpose of illustrating
    mangled quoting.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> flcl?

  4. Quoted message said:

    From: "B i l l S o r n s o n"

    (B.S. wrote):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's because he didn't QUOTE anything.

    (I answered):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not entirely.

    (B.S. rejoined):

    Quoted message said:

    Look again.

    Looked. Paragraphing (hard returns), not "quoting" per se, is what I see.. The
    post I referred to had two paragraphs IMS. I might be using the same "post
    response" box Vecchio is, since I'm on AOL 5.0. Assuming my stuff isn't run
    together. But then, I don't know what you see on your screen. I see >'s on the
    left, numbered according to layers. I put the "B.S. answered" (stuff in
    parentheses) in by hand while pulling weeds, so to speak. Takes extra time.

    Um, I'm a lot more interested in reading what Mr. Chisholm has to say than
    complaining about the form. FWIW. --TP

  5. Tim McNamara <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Your posts would be eminently more readable if you were using normal
    Usenet posting styles rather than AOL's dysfunctional one, which
    looks to be both weird and HTML-based (given the <BR><BR> tags that
    follow every block of quoted text in your posts).

    Trivially. Trivially more readable, not eminently.

    Never bothered me none.

    dkl

  6. Douglas Landau said:

    Tim McNamara <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    Your posts would be eminently more readable if you were using normal
    Usenet posting styles rather than AOL's dysfunctional one, which
    looks to be both weird and HTML-based (given the <BR><BR> tags that
    follow every block of quoted text in your posts).

    Trivially. Trivially more readable, not eminently.

    I think "eminently" is an apt word considering cases like the following:

    ,----[fictitious post from Peter]
    |
    | person A Writes-<< some text from person A some more text from person A even
    | more text from person A yet more text from person A.
    |
    | Another paragraph from person A more of the paragraph from person A even
    | more of the paragraph from person A etc.
    |
    | Response from Peter more of the response from Peter and so forth and so
    | on.
    |
    `----

    In examples like this it's impossible to tell except by deduction from
    reading the context who said what.

    This can be difficult to interpret for anybody, but it's particularly
    annoying for those people who use nice newsreader features such as
    rendering quoted text in different colours for different posters.

    Although I would never deliberately stop reading someone's articles for
    reasons such as this, I really appreciate it when posters take the trouble
    to make their work more pleasant to read.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

  7. (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) said:

    I'll admit I don't understand your attitude. People have been asking
    you to change your posting style- for years- so that they can more
    easily read what you have to say. Seems to me that's a compliment to
    you.

    It hasn't been 'for years' and as I asked, I got no information nor could I
    find anything in all the preferences and settings pages on the versiion(version
    for Mac OX10).

    Errr, Pete, you seem to be having a dual personality episode above
    (directly quoting from your reply). Now because I happen to recognize
    the first part as coming from someone else's post, I can figure it
    out. However, that's not usually the case, certainly not for most
    people. Trying to make sense of what appears to be a post of you
    answering your own questions is going to be confusing at best.

    FWIW...

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  8. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Tim-<< When someone
    doesn't follow those standards reasonably closely, it makes things
    more difficult for others. I'm sad to see that you seem to think
    that's a good thing, when you could change this in a matter of seconds
    and frankly no skin off your nose.

    I'll admit I don't understand your attitude. People have been asking
    you to change your posting style- for years- so that they can more
    easily read what you have to say. Seems to me that's a compliment to
    you.

    It hasn't been 'for years' and as I asked, I got no information nor could I
    find anything in all the preferences and settings pages on the versiion(version
    for Mac OX10).

    I'll change it, tell me how Tim...but as I stated, the 5 examples of quoting I
    received were just as I typed them with a bit of <BR> on them, something I saw
    on your post on the NG as well.

    Help me quote so that you can easily read it but I think it's not nearly as
    problematic as you and David say.

    Peter,

    Look at this post of yours in plain text on Google:
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20041115085907.11818.00000628%40mb-m16.aol.com&output=gplain>.

    It is not possible to differentiate between your new text and the text
    of Tim McNamara that you quoted. That IS a problem.

    --
    Tom Sherman

  9. (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) said:

    Tim-<< Your posts would be eminently more readable if you were using
    normal Usenet posting styles rather than AOL's dysfunctional one,
    which looks to be both weird and HTML-based (given the >><BR><BR>

    Copy one of mine and send it to me via direct email...I gotta see
    what you are talking about.

    As I stated, i have wandered all artound all the preferences of NG
    and WWW and see nothing that refers to 'internet sytrle posting'. If
    it's there, HELP ME OUT TIM!!!

    Not to ingore this, as we've already been discussing this back-channel
    (I'll mail forward a copy of your original post to you, although I
    have no idea how the AOL software will render it. You could try
    looking at it in TextEdit to see it as plain text, the way most Usenet
    users would see it).

    The end result thus far is that I can't find anything via Google that
    will show how to fix quoting in your newsreader. AOL seems to have
    screwed up the latest version they released for OS X. It's a bummer,
    because it makes AOL/OS X users look bad.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not gonna change newsrearders, AOL is just too easy for this
    computer idiot.

    I understand your point.

  10. Tom Paterson said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: "B i l l S o r n s o n"

    (B.S. wrote):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > That's because he didn't QUOTE anything.

    (I answered):

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not entirely.

    (B.S. rejoined):

    Quoted message said:

    Look again.

    Looked. Paragraphing (hard returns), not "quoting" per se, is what I
    see.. The post I referred to had two paragraphs IMS. I might be using
    the same "post response" box Vecchio is, since I'm on AOL 5.0.
    Assuming my stuff isn't run together. But then, I don't know what you
    see on your screen. I see >'s on the left, numbered according to
    layers. I put the "B.S. answered" (stuff in parentheses) in by hand
    while pulling weeds, so to speak. Takes extra time.

    Um, I'm a lot more interested in reading what Mr. Chisholm has to say
    than complaining about the form. FWIW. --TP

    Not to belabor this (too late for THAT), but you commented that a post from
    Peter looked normal (or "easy to read", IIRC). I commented that it was
    because he hadn't quoted anyone in said post (which he hadn't). I didn't
    understand your reply "not entirely", and still don't.

    (He WAS replying to Carl, but didn't quote a single Fogelism. Thus the
    clean format.)

    Belaboredly Yours,
    --
    BS (no, really)

  11. On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:19:00 GMT, "B i l l S o r n s o n"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    (He WAS replying to Carl, but didn't quote a single Fogelism. Thus the
    clean format.)

    Dear Bill,

    From which we may deduce that the secret to a clean internet
    format is . . .

    [snip]

  12. Quoted message said:

    From: "B i l l S o r n s o n"

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't
    understand your reply "not entirely", and still don't.

    No quotes, but it also looked to me as though he put at least one hard return
    in there to start a new paragraph. ("Manual" quoting, courtesy AwOL.)

    IOW, paragraph breaks and new lines are started with the Return key. There was
    a new paragraph start in Vecchio's post, plus an extra return key stroke was
    made to put an empty line between paragraphs, which at least at this screen
    makes things easy to read.

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't
    understand your reply (snip)

    "You keep asking, I'll keep trying to explain what I think I mean".

    Quoted message said:

    Belaboredly Yours,

    Not at all. --TP

  13. From carlfogel:

    Quoted message said:

    From which we may deduce that the secret to a clean internet
    format is . . .

    Quoted message said:

    [snip]

    Quotes from Twain. --TP

  14. David writes-"<< It is a particular nuisance in a case like this one where I
    must manually
    reformat the portion of Tim's misquoted article I want to retain; I will
    not post a mangled article except for the specific purpose of illustrating
    mangled quoting. >><BR><BR>

    I answer-" well we have seen that AOL for OSX is not possible to change so I
    will add things like quotation marks and I said, you said type stuff to give
    one less thing to talk about...now BACK to Bies for me"

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  15. Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:19:00 GMT, "B i l l S o r n s o n"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    (He WAS replying to Carl, but didn't quote a single Fogelism. Thus
    the clean format.)

    Dear Bill,

    From which we may deduce that the secret to a clean internet
    format is . . .

    [snip]

    Dear Carl,

    Nice.
    --
    BS (no, really)

  16. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    David said:

    It is a particular nuisance in a case like this one where I
    must manually reformat the portion of Tim's misquoted article I want to
    retain; I will not post a mangled article except for the specific purpose
    of illustrating mangled quoting.


    well we have seen that AOL for OSX is not possible to change so I
    will add things like quotation marks

    If you're willing to add stuff manually, why not add stuff to quote
    conventionally rather than switching to another mangled style?
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> flcl?

  17. Tom Paterson said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: "B i l l S o r n s o n"

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't
    understand your reply "not entirely", and still don't.

    No quotes, but it also looked to me as though he put at least one hard
    return in there to start a new paragraph. ("Manual" quoting, courtesy
    AwOL.)

    IOW, paragraph breaks and new lines are started with the Return
    key. There was a new paragraph start in Vecchio's post, plus an extra
    return key stroke was made to put an empty line between paragraphs, which
    at least at this screen makes things easy to read.

    What do paragraph breaks have to do with quoting? They make things look
    nicer, yes, but this is a different issue.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next
    week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to
    explain why it didn't happen.
    -- Winston Churchill

  18. Quoted message said:

    From: Benjamin Lewis>Standard Time
    Message-id:<[email hidden]>>>Tom Paterson wrote:>>>> From: "B


    i l l S o r n s o n">>>>>I didn't>>> understand your reply "not entirely", and
    still don't.>>>>No quotes, but it also looked to me as though he put at least
    one hard>>return in there to start a new paragraph. ("Manual" quoting, courtesy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    AwOL.)>>>>IOW, paragraph breaks and new lines are started with the


    Return>>key.There was a new paragraph start in Vecchio's post, plus an extra >>
    return key stroke was made to put an empty line between paragraphs, which

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    at least at this screen makes things easy to read.>>What do paragraph breaks


    have to do with quoting? They make things look >nicer, yes, but this is a
    different issue.>>-->Benjamin Lewis>

    Quoted message said:

    Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow,


    next>week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to

    Quoted message said:

    explain why it didn't happen. >-- Winston Churchill>>>

    Or, I could have put paragraphs in as usual, which would have made it easier to
    see which quotes applied where and thus who was saying what and where sigs
    start and end, etc. I did cheat a little, but only for effect. --TP

  19. Tom Paterson said:

    Or, I could have put paragraphs in as usual, which would have made it
    easier to see which quotes applied where and thus who was saying what and
    where sigs start and end, etc. I did cheat a little, but only for effect.

    Yes, but the mere use of paragraphs doesn't mean there is any "quoting"
    occurring.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next
    week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to
    explain why it didn't happen.
    -- Winston Churchill

  20. Quoted message said:

    From: Benjamin Lewis

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, but the mere use of paragraphs doesn't mean there is any "quoting"
    occurring.

    Hmmm, did I say that? Not what I meant, if so. Nope, paragraphing and spacing
    just gives quotes and sigs, intros, whatever their own little space on the
    screen, so content is easier to follow. That's what Vecchio did in that certain
    post, with no quoting, which will now pass from memory, andbespokennomoreof, I
    hope. --TP

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.