OT: are diets supposed to do this?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 27, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    he he, thought it was kinda funny when i just checked my weight. i was 225, now thanks to the diet,
    i am... what? 230???

    ok, so i haven't really slackened off on the pre-ride gorging. that and i really need to ride more.

    I think my metabolism has crossed over to the dark side.

    On the other hand, in looking in a mirror, i do think i have lost a little of the facial roundness,
    and the spare-tire is a bit smaller. could i have really gained 5 pounds in muscle in one week?

    I just thought it was ironic is all, go on a diet, more exercise, and gain weight.

    he he he, just my luck. ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

  2. >he he, thought it was kinda funny when i just checked my weight. i was 225, now thanks to the diet,
    >i am... what? 230???
    >
    >ok, so i haven't really slackened off on the pre-ride gorging. that and i really need to ride more.
    >
    >I think my metabolism has crossed over to the dark side.
    >
    >On the other hand, in looking in a mirror, i do think i have lost a little of the facial roundness,
    >and the spare-tire is a bit smaller. could i have really gained 5 pounds in muscle in one week?
    >
    >I just thought it was ironic is all, go on a diet, more exercise, and gain weight.
    >
    >he he he, just my luck. ;-)
    >--
    >~Travis

    Muscle weighs more than fat. It's pretty common to gain weight when you start to get in shape again.
    But you've probably noticed that you clothes fit a little different.

    -Andrew

  3. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Technician wrote: <snip>
    > On the other hand, in looking in a mirror, i do think i have lost a little of the facial
    > roundness, and the spare-tire is a bit smaller. could i have really gained 5 pounds in muscle in
    > one week?
    <snip>

    No, it's not possible to gain 5 pounds of muscle in one week. Or even one month. However, if you've
    been on a salty food binge, you may be retaining fluid like the Hoover Dam. Try drinking a few extra
    glasses of plain water.

    Kathleen

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote: <snip>
    > > On the other hand, in looking in a mirror, i do think i have lost a little of the facial
    > > roundness, and the spare-tire is a bit smaller. could i have really gained 5 pounds in muscle in
    > > one week?
    > <snip>
    >
    > No, it's not possible to gain 5 pounds of muscle in one week. Or even one month. However, if
    > you've been on a salty food binge, you may be retaining fluid like the Hoover Dam. Try drinking a
    > few extra glasses of plain water.
    >
    > Kathleen

    Now, this may come as TMI, but it serves the point.

    every morning i gotta "go" so bad it feels like the 'ol bladder is going to burst. i usually end up
    urinating a steady stream for about 45 seconds to a minute (i have lots of "storage").

    i would have to figure my water intake (i drink water now at most meals since i have started riding
    again) per day is about 1.5 - 2 liters (i keep a rinsed out soda bottle in the fridge to store water
    nice and cold). then on rides, i usually fill the bak with 1 or 2 liters, and drink usually about
    3/4 of it. so my minimum intake is about 2.25 liters on a ride day. not sure what the required
    intake is, but it can't be much more than 2 liters.
    --
    ~Travis

  5. In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
    > > Technician wrote: <snip>
    > > > On the other hand, in looking in a mirror, i do think i have lost a little of the facial
    > > > roundness, and the spare-tire is a bit smaller. could i have really gained 5 pounds in muscle
    > > > in one week?
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > No, it's not possible to gain 5 pounds of muscle in one week. Or even one month. However, if
    > > you've been on a salty food binge, you may be retaining fluid like the Hoover Dam. Try drinking
    > > a few extra glasses of plain water.
    > >
    > > Kathleen
    > >

    > Now, this may come as TMI, but it serves the point.
    >
    > every morning i gotta "go" so bad it feels like the 'ol bladder is going to burst. i usually end
    > up urinating a steady stream for about 45 seconds to a minute (i have lots of "storage").

    The closer you can get to sparkling clear, the better. It's the quality not the quantity. That's all
    I have to say on that subject.
    --
    _________________________

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
    > > > Technician wrote: <snip>
    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > No, it's not possible to gain 5 pounds of muscle in one week. Or even one month. However, if
    > > > you've been on a salty food binge, you may be retaining fluid like the Hoover Dam. Try
    > > > drinking a few extra glasses of plain water.
    > > >
    > > > Kathleen
    > > >

    > > Now, this may come as TMI, but it serves the point.
    > >
    > > every morning i gotta "go" so bad it feels like the 'ol bladder is going to burst. i usually end
    > > up urinating a steady stream for about 45 seconds to a minute (i have lots of "storage").
    > >

    > The closer you can get to sparkling clear, the better. It's the quality not the quantity. That's
    > all I have to say on that subject.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

    As my coach once said (and somebody's reply):

    "I want you pissing white!!!" "Um, coach? That's not piss...."

    Jon Bond

  7. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Andrew Thorne wrote:
    > Muscle weighs more than fat. It's pretty common to gain weight when you start to get in shape
    > again. But you've probably noticed that you clothes fit a little different.
    >
    > -Andrew

    Does anyone know how much more water is stored in muscle than in fat?

    (I too gain weight when I exercise, over the long term. When I do the couch potato routine, my
    weight goes down.)

  8. Clues for sale!!!! (21 used & new from $9.00)

    http://tinyurl.com/cwlb

    ref: ISBN 0-683-05731-6 Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance by William D.
    McArdle, Frank I. Katch, Victor L. Katch