OT: Best chews for dogs...

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Guest
Chelsea is a chewer.

I did not know this when I adopted her, but will have to warn my sister
about this issue when she takes her.

I came home yesterday morning to one very bored dog and shredded
cardboard all over my room. :p

No harm done, she had just ripped the lid off of a cardboard box and
made little pieces of it all over. I did not even scold her for it. I
figured she was just being a dog...... and there was no real damage. I
can replace a cardboard lid. ;-)

I had provided her with a chew bone the day before, but she had made
short work of it.

I have little experience with chewers as only the Border Collie has had
this issue, and she likes rubber squeekie toys that have taken care of
the problem.

So......

I bought Chelsea a smoked pig ear, two large biscuit type chews, some
rawhide chews and a big smoked doggie bone.

Last night I left her on my bed happily shredding the pigs ear.

I came home this morning to no mess, but no pig ear and no biscuit type
chewies.

It appears that as long as I provide her with chews to ease her boredom
while I am at work, I'm not going to have a problem so my sister should
not either. I hate the concept of crating. It's very much a last resort!

What are the best, most durable and SAFEST types of chews for dogs with
a chewing issue??????? A kong for small dogs is next on my "to buy" list
but I'm thinking she is going to want toys with flavor and shredability.

TIA!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Buy a kong (rubber cone-like thing) and smear the inside with peanut butter
and stick some treats in there..

Works wonder for Grace (my dog) though she is crate trained anyway since she
ate my door, my doorframe, my stair step, the leg of my couch.. the leg of
my dinning table.. you get the picture..

I n her crate she would destroy her mat... now with the kong she's happily
licking and chewing the toy until I come back

Bored dog is one thing.. separation anxiety is another..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chelsea is a chewer.
>
> I did not know this when I adopted her, but will have to warn my sister
> about this issue when she takes her.
>
> I came home yesterday morning to one very bored dog and shredded
> cardboard all over my room. :p
>
> No harm done, she had just ripped the lid off of a cardboard box and
> made little pieces of it all over. I did not even scold her for it. I
> figured she was just being a dog...... and there was no real damage. I
> can replace a cardboard lid. ;-)
>
> I had provided her with a chew bone the day before, but she had made
> short work of it.
>
> I have little experience with chewers as only the Border Collie has had
> this issue, and she likes rubber squeekie toys that have taken care of
> the problem.
>
> So......
>
> I bought Chelsea a smoked pig ear, two large biscuit type chews, some
> rawhide chews and a big smoked doggie bone.
>
> Last night I left her on my bed happily shredding the pigs ear.
>
> I came home this morning to no mess, but no pig ear and no biscuit type
> chewies.
>
> It appears that as long as I provide her with chews to ease her boredom
> while I am at work, I'm not going to have a problem so my sister should
> not either. I hate the concept of crating. It's very much a last resort!
>
> What are the best, most durable and SAFEST types of chews for dogs with
> a chewing issue??????? A kong for small dogs is next on my "to buy" list
> but I'm thinking she is going to want toys with flavor and shredability.
>
> TIA!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack

Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Willow" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Buy a kong (rubber cone-like thing) and smear the inside with peanut butter
> and stick some treats in there..
>
> Works wonder for Grace (my dog) though she is crate trained anyway since she
> ate my door, my doorframe, my stair step, the leg of my couch.. the leg of
> my dinning table.. you get the picture..

Yeah, I had Whippets like that. I'll NEVER own another grayhound breed...

Kongs are how I trained Jewels (border collie) to sqeeky and other
rubber toys.
Kong was my next planned purchase.

> I n her crate she would destroy her mat... now with the kong she's happily
> licking and chewing the toy until I come back
>
> Bored dog is one thing.. separation anxiety is another..
>
> --
> Will~

Thanks!!!!!!
I hate crates, but the alternative is far worse.
As long as they are used as a training tool and not a solution.......
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
> Chelsea is a chewer.

I HATE women who do...oh, wait, you're talking about a dog. Uh...never mind.

> I did not know this when I adopted her, but will have to warn my sister
> about this issue when she takes her.
>
> I came home yesterday morning to one very bored dog and shredded
> cardboard all over my room. :p
>
> No harm done, she had just ripped the lid off of a cardboard box and
> made little pieces of it all over. I did not even scold her for it. I
> figured she was just being a dog...... and there was no real damage. I
> can replace a cardboard lid. ;-)
>
> I had provided her with a chew bone the day before, but she had made
> short work of it.
>
> I have little experience with chewers as only the Border Collie has had
> this issue, and she likes rubber squeekie toys that have taken care of
> the problem.
>
> So......
>
> I bought Chelsea a smoked pig ear, two large biscuit type chews, some
> rawhide chews and a big smoked doggie bone.
>
> Last night I left her on my bed happily shredding the pigs ear.
>
> I came home this morning to no mess, but no pig ear and no biscuit type
> chewies.
>
> It appears that as long as I provide her with chews to ease her boredom
> while I am at work, I'm not going to have a problem so my sister should
> not either. I hate the concept of crating. It's very much a last resort!
>
> What are the best, most durable and SAFEST types of chews for dogs with
> a chewing issue??????? A kong for small dogs is next on my "to buy" list
> but I'm thinking she is going to want toys with flavor and shredability.

Sheba's best friend, a Neapolitan Mastiff named Jordan, died from
peritonitis caused by a perforated intestine after a bowel obstruction, the
result of her chewing, and swallowing, part of a sofa. IOW, uncontrolled,
unregulated, chewing, can be deadly.

Sheba's chewing problem is that there is a mismatch between her jaws and her
stomach. Her jaws are massively powerful, and she can demolish any so-called
edible chew toy...like pig's ears or rawhide...within minutes, but her
stomach is just a little stomach of a little dog, so, she barfs up these
chew toys.

The only chew toys I recommend are appropriately sized Kongs (black for
power chewers, red for others) and the hardest of the Nylabones, NOT the
softer Puppybones.

David

"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Chelsea is a chewer.

>I HATE women who do...oh, wait, you're talking about a dog. Uh...never mind.
>>
>> I did not know this when I adopted her, but will have to warn my sister
>> about this issue when she takes her.
>>
>> I came home yesterday morning to one very bored dog and shredded
>> cardboard all over my room. :p
>>
>> No harm done, she had just ripped the lid off of a cardboard box and
>> made little pieces of it all over. I did not even scold her for it. I
>> figured she was just being a dog...... and there was no real damage. I
>> can replace a cardboard lid. ;-)
>>
>> I had provided her with a chew bone the day before, but she had made
>> short work of it.
>>
>> I have little experience with chewers as only the Border Collie has had
>> this issue, and she likes rubber squeekie toys that have taken care of
>> the problem.
>>
>> So......
>>
>> I bought Chelsea a smoked pig ear, two large biscuit type chews, some
>> rawhide chews and a big smoked doggie bone.
>>
>> Last night I left her on my bed happily shredding the pigs ear.
>>
>> I came home this morning to no mess, but no pig ear and no biscuit type
>> chewies.
>>
>> It appears that as long as I provide her with chews to ease her boredom
>> while I am at work, I'm not going to have a problem so my sister should
>> not either. I hate the concept of crating. It's very much a last resort!
>>
>> What are the best, most durable and SAFEST types of chews for dogs with
>> a chewing issue??????? A kong for small dogs is next on my "to buy" list
>> but I'm thinking she is going to want toys with flavor and shredability.

>Sheba's best friend, a Neapolitan Mastiff named Jordan, died from
>peritonitis caused by a perforated intestine after a bowel obstruction, the
>result of her chewing, and swallowing, part of a sofa. IOW, uncontrolled,
>unregulated, chewing, can be deadly.
>
>Sheba's chewing problem is that there is a mismatch between her jaws and her
>stomach. Her jaws are massively powerful, and she can demolish any so-called
>edible chew toy...like pig's ears or rawhide...within minutes, but her
>stomach is just a little stomach of a little dog, so, she barfs up these
>chew toys.
>
>The only chew toys I recommend are appropriately sized Kongs (black for
>power chewers, red for others) and the hardest of the Nylabones, NOT the
>softer Puppybones.

http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp?ID=12

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> Chelsea is a chewer.

>>I HATE women who do...oh, wait, you're talking about a dog. Uh...never
>>mind.
>>>
>>> I did not know this when I adopted her, but will have to warn my sister
>>> about this issue when she takes her.
>>>
>>> I came home yesterday morning to one very bored dog and shredded
>>> cardboard all over my room. :p
>>>
>>> No harm done, she had just ripped the lid off of a cardboard box and
>>> made little pieces of it all over. I did not even scold her for it. I
>>> figured she was just being a dog...... and there was no real damage. I
>>> can replace a cardboard lid. ;-)
>>>
>>> I had provided her with a chew bone the day before, but she had made
>>> short work of it.
>>>
>>> I have little experience with chewers as only the Border Collie has had
>>> this issue, and she likes rubber squeekie toys that have taken care of
>>> the problem.
>>>
>>> So......
>>>
>>> I bought Chelsea a smoked pig ear, two large biscuit type chews, some
>>> rawhide chews and a big smoked doggie bone.
>>>
>>> Last night I left her on my bed happily shredding the pigs ear.
>>>
>>> I came home this morning to no mess, but no pig ear and no biscuit type
>>> chewies.
>>>
>>> It appears that as long as I provide her with chews to ease her boredom
>>> while I am at work, I'm not going to have a problem so my sister should
>>> not either. I hate the concept of crating. It's very much a last resort!
>>>
>>> What are the best, most durable and SAFEST types of chews for dogs with
>>> a chewing issue??????? A kong for small dogs is next on my "to buy" list
>>> but I'm thinking she is going to want toys with flavor and shredability.

>>Sheba's best friend, a Neapolitan Mastiff named Jordan, died from
>>peritonitis caused by a perforated intestine after a bowel obstruction,
>>the
>>result of her chewing, and swallowing, part of a sofa. IOW, uncontrolled,
>>unregulated, chewing, can be deadly.
>>
>>Sheba's chewing problem is that there is a mismatch between her jaws and
>>her
>>stomach. Her jaws are massively powerful, and she can demolish any
>>so-called
>>edible chew toy...like pig's ears or rawhide...within minutes, but her
>>stomach is just a little stomach of a little dog, so, she barfs up these
>>chew toys.
>>
>>The only chew toys I recommend are appropriately sized Kongs (black for
>>power chewers, red for others) and the hardest of the Nylabones, NOT the
>>softer Puppybones.

> http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp?ID=12

I own a few of Planet Dog's toys. I give them to Sheba only when I can
supervise her. They are not as tough as either Kongs or Nylabones.

Obviously, many dogs chew anything...even plush toys..without a problem. I
give the advice about Kongs and Nylabones just to be safe. And my personal
experience with dogs dying, or nearly dying, from swallowing things.

David

In article <RtZuf.4821$M%[email protected]>,
"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The only chew toys I recommend are appropriately sized Kongs (black for
> power chewers, red for others) and the hardest of the Nylabones, NOT the
> softer Puppybones.
>
> David

Condolences on the loss of Jordan. :-(

Had not tried Nylabones, thanks!
A Kong is on the shopping list, along with a large container of peanut
butter! Jewels was trained over to Kongs (and later squeekies that she
does not destroy) using cheese or peanut butter Kongs.

I'm trying to limit food rewards with Chels' as she really does tend to
want to be obese. I did some research on Corgies and this appears to be
a regular issue with them.

Thanks DC!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <3D_uf.2773$%[email protected]>,
"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp?ID=12

> I own a few of Planet Dog's toys. I give them to Sheba only when I can
> supervise her. They are not as tough as either Kongs or Nylabones.
>
> Obviously, many dogs chew anything...even plush toys..without a problem. I
> give the advice about Kongs and Nylabones just to be safe. And my personal
> experience with dogs dying, or nearly dying, from swallowing things.
>
> David

That's one of the reasons I'm leery about Rawhide.
I had a freind with a Llasa that nearly choked to death when she
swallowed a peice of well chewed rawhide trying to keep it away from
another dog.

Food competition can be a problem...
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:28:26 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I did not even scold her for it. I
>figured she was just being a dog...... and there was no real damage. I
>can replace a cardboard lid.

Wait until you come home and find "Fred the love doll" you so enjoy,
ripped to pieces. You won't be so happy then.

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:33:48 GMT, "Willow"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Buy a kong (rubber cone-like thing) and smear the inside with peanut butter
>and stick some treats in there..
>
>Works wonder for Grace (my dog) though she is crate trained anyway since she
>ate my door, my doorframe, my stair step, the leg of my couch.. the leg of
>my dinning table.. you get the picture..
>
>I n her crate she would destroy her mat... now with the kong she's happily
>licking and chewing the toy until I come back
>
>Bored dog is one thing.. separation anxiety is another..

Human thigh bones. I've got a few extras buried in the yard. Let me
know if you need one.

That was the plan.. but at this point she sleeps in it all the time (with
the door open) goes in there to sulk when I scold her (her back toward the
door, hysterical hehehe) and is closed in only when I have to leave her
alone in the house (rarely)...

I've worked on training her, she's doing awesome on all other plans (I had
dogs all my life and she is by FAR the most cuddly and the best behaved)..
but her separation anxiety is beyond my hability to train away..

I have 2 friends who are professional trainers, tried all the tricks in the
book.. nothing really works.. even when she doesn't eat things, she still is
a nervous wreck when I come back, she is ok in her crate.. don't like the
idea but.. I stopped trying since I stress her out more than anything and
she sleeps in her crate...

If you have any idea let me know.. got to know that she is a shelter puppy,
was in shelters from 3 months old to 6 months.. 3 different shelters.. you
get the picture... Only other odd thing is she's terrified of brooms, leaves
rakes, mop, stuff like that..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Willow" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Buy a kong (rubber cone-like thing) and smear the inside with peanut

butter
> > and stick some treats in there..
> >
> > Works wonder for Grace (my dog) though she is crate trained anyway since

she
> > ate my door, my doorframe, my stair step, the leg of my couch.. the leg

of
> > my dinning table.. you get the picture..

> Yeah, I had Whippets like that. I'll NEVER own another grayhound breed...
>
> Kongs are how I trained Jewels (border collie) to sqeeky and other
> rubber toys.
> Kong was my next planned purchase.
>

> > I n her crate she would destroy her mat... now with the kong she's

happily
> > licking and chewing the toy until I come back
> >
> > Bored dog is one thing.. separation anxiety is another..
> >
> > --
> > Will~

> Thanks!!!!!!
> I hate crates, but the alternative is far worse.
> As long as they are used as a training tool and not a solution.......
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack

Nicholson

Ok, I'm fuffy about foods (hey I work for Weight Watchers ;op)

But if you're going to feed a lot of PB... try to find low salt.. cause the
sodium in that stuff is scary !!!!!

and if you're allergic to it like me... make sure you are REAL careful ! ;o)

--
> [...]

> this issue, and she likes rubber squeekie toys that have taken care of
> the problem.
>
> So......
>
> I bought Chelsea a smoked pig ear, two large biscuit type chews, some
> rawhide chews and a big smoked doggie bone.
>
> Last night I left her on my bed happily shredding the pigs ear.
>
> I came home this morning to no mess, but no pig ear and no biscuit type
> chewies.
>
> It appears that as long as I provide her with chews to ease her boredom
> while I am at work, I'm not going to have a problem so my sister should
> not either. I hate the concept of crating. It's very much a last resort!
>
> What are the best, most durable and SAFEST types of chews for dogs with
> a chewing issue??????? A kong for small dogs is next on my "to buy" list
> but I'm thinking she is going to want toys with flavor and shredability.

Chew toys for dogs?

For my beagle, how about my leather gloves; my leather wallet; my leather
shoes; my leather belt, my leather anything! (But I still love him so!!!)
:)

The problem is, a dog does not know the difference between a piece of
leather you throw to them to chew and your leather shoes. To them, it's just
leather.

The secret here, trust me, is to identify WHAT they can chew and what they
cannot - people toss dogs their old shoes and wonder why they chew their new
ones. Hello dipshits? If you find something that is acceptable, (my beagle
will not chew rawhide, for example), stick with it. That, is what the CAN
chew. The other stuff is off limits. It's a matter of teaching them what
they can, and cannot chew. It's that simple. And I don't mean, "old shoes"
vs. "new shoes". I mean, rawhide, or kongs, or whatever, vs. what you don't
want chewed. Try and do a search under "pennycans" and see what you can
find. This system works well to help a dog establish his limits if you're
willing to put in the work.

As for crating, I know, I hate it too. It is better, IMHO, to keep them in
a room with a bed, toys, food and water for the day than a crate. The thing
here is that they need to feel safe. There is a reason dogs live in dens in
the wild! Think about it. Be it a crate or a room, they need a den. Give
them that, their acceptable toys, and food and water and you should be okay.
I hope. :)

There are no easy answers here.

Brad

In article <[email protected]>,
"Willow" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, I'm fuffy about foods (hey I work for Weight Watchers ;op)
>
> But if you're going to feed a lot of PB... try to find low salt.. cause the
> sodium in that stuff is scary !!!!!

Just get Laura Scudders.
Nothing extra added. Just pure p-nut butter.

I use as much cheese as treats also.

> and if you're allergic to it like me... make sure you are REAL careful ! ;o)
>
> --
> Will~

Ugh. Deadly damned allergy.
I'm glad I'm NOT allergic to it.
--

In article <8F4vf.248996$ki.43020@pd7tw2no>,
"BradandBrooks" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Chew toys for dogs?
>
> For my beagle, how about my leather gloves; my leather wallet; my leather
> shoes; my leather belt, my leather anything! (But I still love him so!!!)
> :)

I know what you mean...

> The problem is, a dog does not know the difference between a piece of
> leather you throw to them to chew and your leather shoes. To them, it's just
> leather.

I dunno. Tanned leather is not the same as rawhide or smoked dog chews.
I have leather shoes under my bed and, to date, Chelsea has not touched
them.

> The secret here, trust me, is to identify WHAT they can chew and what they
> cannot - people toss dogs their old shoes and wonder why they chew their new
> ones. Hello dipshits?

Exactly!

> If you find something that is acceptable, (my beagle
> will not chew rawhide, for example), stick with it. That, is what the CAN
> chew. The other stuff is off limits. It's a matter of teaching them what
> they can, and cannot chew.

That is what worked with the Border collie.
Rubber toys that I "gave" to her as hers are acceptable.
Destroying other stuff is not. She's sensitive to scolding and highly
intelligent.

The only other problem I have with her is her damaging landscaping! She
loves to leap 6 ot 7 ft. up and grab the upper branches of ornamental
shrubs and rip them down. We have put wire circles around them to
prevent this, but the BC still goes after the Crepe Myrtle. It has wind
chimes hanging from it and she likes to make them ring!

I just need to move them. ;-)

I also bought her a jump toy and suspended that from a high tree branch.
It has a large bell but so far, she has not used it. I'm thinking of
smearing p-nut butter on the rope pull.

So far now, it's been 2 nights and Chelsea (the corgi) is chewing only
the doggy chews I'm offering her. She's not destroyed anything else in
the room. I DO put the chews in her food dish so she knows they are hers.
I think that helps?

I trained Jewels on to rubber dog toys using stuffed kongs. The food
inside of them taught her that those are good to chew. And she loves the
squeeky noises that the other toys make.

Probably why she loves to kill rats. <G> They squeal when she is killing
them.... Fortunately, she does not eat them. If she kills more than one
in a night (which anymore is rare now that I have them under control
with the help of the exterminator), she would line them all up side by
side with their heads facing all the same direction.

Border collies are a bit strange...

> It's that simple. And I don't mean, "old shoes"
> vs. "new shoes". I mean, rawhide, or kongs, or whatever, vs. what you don't
> want chewed. Try and do a search under "pennycans" and see what you can
> find. This system works well to help a dog establish his limits if you're
> willing to put in the work.

That only works if you are there when they undesirable behavior is
happening. Chels' chews because she is BORED when I am not there. She is
very much a people dog.

Jewely playing pogo dog on the fence line is why I put up a hot wire. I
was afraid she'd go over it. It works. It "trains" them when you are not
around.

> As for crating, I know, I hate it too. It is better, IMHO, to keep them in
> a room with a bed, toys, food and water for the day than a crate. The thing
> here is that they need to feel safe. There is a reason dogs live in dens in
> the wild! Think about it. Be it a crate or a room, they need a den. Give
> them that, their acceptable toys, and food and water and you should be okay.
> I hope. :)

Yep!

But, I'd prefer a more roomy Kennel, at least 6' x 6' for a small dog.
My issue with crates is their SIZE.

My blind and deaf teacup poodle weighs only slightly more than 2 lbs.
She's tiny. She lives in a show dog corral on the insulated sun porch
when she is not with me as she is no longer housebroken. It's lined with
newspaper and cedar shavings. She's comfortable with that.

She also has a snuggly fleece lined doggie bed and food and water
available 24/7.

> There are no easy answers here.
>
> Brad

Never are... but dogs are SO worth the effort!

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

I give my white lab 'Moses' blocks of cheese and cans of tuna, he is
around 10 years old so does not really chew on anything now...

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:21:26 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have leather shoes under my bed and, to date, Chelsea has not touched
>them.

Yes, but the pages are stuck together on those gay mags you also
stashj under there.