OT: Bike as bagage

kaiser

Guest
I'm traveling across country (flying) and want to take my bike with me
for the trip.

What should I do: Shipping ahead of time via UPS, or trying to check
the bike box at the airport? Specifically, I'm flying on American
Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).

If any of you have experience on the costs for each (and the hassles
associated with it) I'd appreciate hearing about it.

BTW, CritPro, I hear that this is how the dirty pros ship their EPO
;-)

Thanks

> I'm flying on American Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).

If it's American Airlines, then even if it is Boeing, you still may not
be going:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595079739,00.html

kaiser wrote:

> I'm traveling across country (flying) and want to take my bike with me
> for the trip.
>
> What should I do: Shipping ahead of time via UPS, or trying to check
> the bike box at the airport? Specifically, I'm flying on American
> Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).
>
> If any of you have experience on the costs for each (and the hassles
> associated with it) I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I found the UPS cost to be about half what the airlines were charging,
though that was 4 years ago. To add insult to injury, even though my
bike was packed in an Ironcase, the airline made me sign a form waiving
their liability for damage, due to "inadequate packing."

After that experience, for the return trip I chose UPS, for half the
cost, and they insured for no extra charge up to something like $1000.

Prices may have changed, but it's definitely worth looking into if $ is
an issue.

Mark Janeba

kaiser wrote:

> I'm traveling across country (flying) and want to take my bike with me
> for the trip.
>
> What should I do: Shipping ahead of time via UPS, or trying to check
> the bike box at the airport? Specifically, I'm flying on American
> Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).
>
> If any of you have experience on the costs for each (and the hassles
> associated with it) I'd appreciate hearing about it.
>
> BTW, CritPro, I hear that this is how the dirty pros ship their EPO
> ;-)
>
> Thanks

You riding it right now? Want it right away when you get there? Is
there someone you can ship it to? Airlines will charge as much as they
can for bikes and they're a hassle to drag around, figure on not useing
curbside, and having to stand in a long line to get it on the plane.
Also you gotta make a connection to a regional? It may not fit.
Personally I've paid 85$ to put one on a plane (each way..) and 35$ to
ship UPS 5 day. I usually use UPS and ship it a week early, but that's
cause I'm normally snowed in up here by the time I want to fly somewhere
to ride (and if not i have the luxery of a spare..)..... Your LBS will
sometimes handle the whole bannana, if they aren't super busy. figure
40-50$ that way.

kaiser wrote:

> I'm traveling across country (flying) and want to take my bike with me
> for the trip.
>
> What should I do: Shipping ahead of time via UPS, or trying to check
> the bike box at the airport? Specifically, I'm flying on American
> Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).
>
> If any of you have experience on the costs for each (and the hassles
> associated with it) I'd appreciate hearing about it.
>
> BTW, CritPro, I hear that this is how the dirty pros ship their EPO
> ;-)
>
> Thanks

Oh and I don't consider my bike "baggage". I reserve that particular
term for the last girl I dragged around......

On 8 Sep 2004 12:22:06 -0700, [email protected] (kaiser) wrote:

>I'm traveling across country (flying) and want to take my bike with me
>for the trip.
>
>What should I do: Shipping ahead of time via UPS, or trying to check
>the bike box at the airport? Specifically, I'm flying on American
>Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).
>
>If any of you have experience on the costs for each (and the hassles
>associated with it) I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I don't find it a hassle to box a road bicycle and take it to the
Fedex office and ship it Fedex Ground to my destination hotel.
Remember, to a Fedex Office and not an agent place. You can pay for
the return trip while you drop off package. Storing the box may be a
hassle but that would be the same as shipping on an airline. I think
the airline costs ~$50 and you get no insurance. Coast to Coast is
<$40.

I went the cheap ******* route by cutting down a frame box to meet the 62
inch rule. Stored the frame in there with other items \ components. Then
stored the wheels in a wheel box that met the 62 inch rule.
Thus, the bike flew free as it counted as two items of checked baggage each
under 70 pounds and 62 inches.
Mind you, this was a nightmare packing job \ box prep.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois

"kaiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm traveling across country (flying) and want to take my bike with me
> for the trip.
>
> What should I do: Shipping ahead of time via UPS, or trying to check
> the bike box at the airport? Specifically, I'm flying on American
> Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).
>
> If any of you have experience on the costs for each (and the hassles
> associated with it) I'd appreciate hearing about it.
>
> BTW, CritPro, I hear that this is how the dirty pros ship their EPO
> ;-)
>
> Thanks

> I don't find it a hassle to box a road bicycle and take it to the
> Fedex office and ship it Fedex Ground to my destination hotel.
> Remember, to a Fedex Office and not an agent place. You can pay for
> the return trip while you drop off package. Storing the box may be a
> hassle but that would be the same as shipping on an airline. I think
> the airline costs ~$50 and you get no insurance. Coast to Coast is
> <$40.

Shipping charges via FedEx and UPS can be very different from what you were
charged. In my area (San Francisco/San Jose), the two companies are going
after bike shops for "compliance" with size standards, and claim that our
standard bike boxes go past OS2 (oversize 2) regulations, due to slight
bulging when they've been re-used. Thus, while it used to (and should) cost
$38-45 to ship a bike cross-country, we have been back-billed to $120-$135.
Seriously. It's gotten to the point where we no longer accept bikes for
shipping.

On the other hand, if you take the exact same boxed bike to one of the UPS
stores (*not* a UPS depot), you'll most likely get charged the lower rate
(and they won't come back at you later on for the difference if one of their
tape-measuring bean counters decides it's too big by 1/4 inch).

I communicate with quite a number of bike shops across the country, with
some having no problems using UPS, and others screaming about the same thing
we're facing. Obviously, this is one of those your-mileage-may-vary things.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Last month I traveled on Delta with my bike case and I didn't pay
anything in either direction.

-WG

[email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message news:<

I've been using a line i read in a previous thread to great effect. I
pack my bike up in a padded bike bag, and if i'm asked what's inside,
i say 'sports equipment'. since i started doing that, the check in
people have left it at that, and haven't charged me. otherwise it's
90$ each way on delta (international), and you have to sign a waiver
if it's damaged.

it used to be free on all intrenational flights. i once flew with a
mountian bike and a road bike, both packed in boxes, which happened to
be stuffed clothes, a floor pump, rollers, etc, as well as 2 pieces of
check in luggage, and wasn't charged. those were the days.

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<080920042154188205%[email protected]>...
> Last month I traveled on Delta with my bike case and I didn't pay
> anything in either direction.
>
> -WG

And people wonder why they are going under. Most airlines do
everything they can to charge you the extra $75 each way handling fee.
I have the UAL vouchers from USACycling, and even still they wanted
to hit me with a $25 overage charge since my hardcase + cross bike +
the rest of the **** I stuffed in there was 55 pounds (50 pound limit
for oversized stuff). I shuffled a couple things into my carry-on to
make the lady back off. All that hassle and I have Premier Exec
status with United. The industry is hurting to generate as much
revenue as it can. No more favors it seems.

-a

"otto" wrote
> it used to be free on all intrenational flights. i once flew with a
> mountian bike and a road bike, both packed in boxes, which happened to
> be stuffed clothes, a floor pump, rollers, etc, as well as 2 pieces of
> check in luggage, and wasn't charged. those were the days.

British airways still takes bikes for free to and from the US (different
rules on other routes), the bike is counted as one of your two pieces of
checked baggage. Size restrictions are waived, you can box the bike or just
turn the handlebars sideways and remove the pedals.
--
mark

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<080920042154188205%[email protected]>...
> Last month I traveled on Delta with my bike case and I didn't pay
> anything in either direction.
>
> -WG

then you were lucky. sometimes they hit you for 90$, sometimes they
just process it, and sometimes you can get away with it when they ask
what's inside, and you say 'sports equipment'. it's techincally true,
just lacks full disclosure.

"otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message news:<
>
> I've been using a line i read in a previous thread to great effect. I
> pack my bike up in a padded bike bag, and if i'm asked what's inside,
> i say 'sports equipment'. since i started doing that, the check in
> people have left it at that, and haven't charged me. otherwise it's
> 90$ each way on delta (international), and you have to sign a waiver
> if it's damaged.
>
> it used to be free on all intrenational flights. i once flew with a
> mountian bike and a road bike, both packed in boxes, which happened to
> be stuffed clothes, a floor pump, rollers, etc, as well as 2 pieces of
> check in luggage, and wasn't charged. those were the days.

Never heard of a padded bike bag - online examples?

Kyle

In article <[email protected]>, Andrew
Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> warren <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<080920042154188205%[email protected]>...
> > Last month I traveled on Delta with my bike case and I didn't pay
> > anything in either direction.
> >
> > -WG

> And people wonder why they are going under. Most airlines do
> everything they can to charge you the extra $75 each way handling fee.
> I have the UAL vouchers from USACycling, and even still they wanted
> to hit me with a $25 overage charge since my hardcase + cross bike +
> the rest of the **** I stuffed in there was 55 pounds (50 pound limit
> for oversized stuff).

About two months ago United agreed to start (officially) allowing up to
70 pounds with the USA Cycling vouchers.

-WG

[email protected] (otto) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message news:<
>
> I've been using a line i read in a previous thread to great effect. I
> pack my bike up in a padded bike bag, and if i'm asked what's inside,
> i say 'sports equipment'. since i started doing that, the check in
> people have left it at that, and haven't charged me. otherwise it's
> 90$ each way on delta (international), and you have to sign a waiver
> if it's damaged.
>
> it used to be free on all intrenational flights. i once flew with a
> mountian bike and a road bike, both packed in boxes, which happened to
> be stuffed clothes, a floor pump, rollers, etc, as well as 2 pieces of
> check in luggage, and wasn't charged. those were the days.

US airlines charge for bikes coming back from Europe. European
airlines don't, you can also skip the box. The bike counts against
you luggage allowance. Pipe insulation and removing the R. derailer,
chain(sram powerlink) and pedals will get you thru. The baggage
bashers seem to treat a unboxed bike somewhat better. Unboxed
the bike is easier to handle, anyway two trips unboxed has netted
a couple paint scratches.

Scott G.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<AuQ%[email protected]>...
> Thus, while it used to (and should) cost
> $38-45 to ship a bike cross-country, we have been back-billed to $120-$135.
> Seriously.

I had the same problem a few months ago shipping a bike from a UPS
store. They charged me $120 or so. I was stunned. Next time I will
try Fed Ex Ground.

"Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<cPZ%c.140802$9d6.44265@attbi_s54>...
> "otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> Never heard of a padded bike bag - online examples?
>
> Kyle

got it +/- 11 years ago from performance. the padding is on the sides,
and around, on the inside. i thought it was relatively standard, but
i guess not?

>> Never heard of a padded bike bag - online examples?
>>
>> Kyle

> got it +/- 11 years ago from performance. the padding is
> on the sides, and around, on the inside. i thought it
> was relatively standard, but i guess not?

Standard as can be: I bought my first one over 20 years ago; but you'll
rarely see one in a LBS.

"LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:kFM%c.230222$sh.210076@fed1read06...
> > I'm flying on American Airlines (If it aint Boeing, I aint going).

> If it's American Airlines, then even if it is Boeing, you still may not
> be going:
>
> http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595079739,00.html
>
> --
> "Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much
> to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes,
> it has not died out." -- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

I have taken my bike (an expensive road bike) on two recent trips--one to
Tucson this past February and one to Colorado, just last month. Here are my
experiences--although I am not sure whether there are any universal
conclusions to draw from them:

1. On the way to Tucson, I shipped my bike ahead by Fedex Ground. The price
was attractive--about $40/$45 as I recall, and I thought i) I would avoid
paying the airline that wanted $100 each way, ii)would avoid the hassle of
finding a taxi (to the airport) and a rental car (in Tucson) that could
carry the boxed bike and the rest of our luggage, and iii) would avoid the
hassle of dragging the box through the airport, and iv) wouldn't worry about
losing the bike when we transferred planes (as is necessary to get from NY
to Tucson).

All well and good--but Fedex totally screwed it up. Rather than finding my
nice boxed bike at my Bed and breakfastin Tucson, I found....well, nothing.
I spoke to Fedex. Said it was coming the next day. Didn't come, even though
I waited around most of the day. Spoke to Fedex. Said they had tried to
deliver--but no one was home. Well that was a lie and in any event they left
no notice of attempted delivery. Same the next day. Finally
arrived--undamaged, thankfully--on the fourth day of my seven day vacation.
Driver--who seemed a pretty sensible guy without an ax to grind--said that
although this was his regular route the bike was not put on his truck on any
of the previous days.

On the way back--I shipped UPS from a UPS store. The owner indicated what
some of the other respondents have stated--UPS can be very finicky about
whether the bike box exceeds some dimension of theirs,which would kick it
into a much more expensive category. Paid a little extra for the store
owners to add additional tape to the box ostensibly to insure that the
dimension was not exceeded--essentially I think I was paying him to take the
risk that he might get surcharged. Also, insured the bike for full value,
which was expensive.

Bike arrived undamaged and on time.

For my Colorado trip, I decided I would try the airlines. I flew Jet Blue
which told me that the charge was $50 each way. Got to JFK in New York and
ticket agent told me that the bike would fly free since (it seems) I was
still the beneficiary of a July TDF "bikes fly free" plan. Ok. Bike arrived
fine in Denver airport (although they temporarily lost some other
luggage...). On way back was charged $50 but bike also arrived fine in JFK.
Couldn't fit bike and rest of family and luggage in a single cab, so bike
and I took our own cab--an incremental $50 or so.