OT broadband

Bryan

New Member
May 1, 2003
Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation for an ISP, or warnings against others.

Thanks

Bryan

"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.

Are you looking for ADSL or cable? ADSL wise, then I'd recommend Zen. Not
the cheapest, but was good when I used them last. I'm in S.London and find
Homechoice pretty good. However, look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ for
the latest info.

Bryan wrote:
> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.

Just down from my own experience:

Recommended:
Andrews and Arnold (highly)
Nildram

Avoid:
Pipex
BT Openwoe
AOL

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
>>Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
>>for an ISP, or warnings against others.

> Just down from my own experience:
>
> Recommended:
> Andrews and Arnold (highly)
> Nildram
>
> Avoid:
> Pipex
> BT Openwoe
> AOL

Agreed with the addition of Zen to the top list and Bulldog to the
bottom list (even though Nildram is owned by Pipex). I'm on Nildram at
the moment and experience, particularly of my limited use of tech
support, has been very good.

--
Tony

Anon

Bryan wrote:
> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.

I'm with e7even.
Very good prices if you are prepared to pay up front for a fixed term.
Apparently good offers to keep you once they have you. No complaints yet
from me and no complaints from a colleague who has been with them for a
couple of years. No good if you'll want telephone support---expensive,
their email support is fine.

Bad experiences with:
BT Broadband.
Wanadoo

Mixed experience with (as dialup supplier):
Plusnet. Their service was excellent but I wouldn't recommend their
customer service if you get into a dispute with them.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Mixed experience with (as dialup supplier):
> Plusnet. Their service was excellent but I wouldn't recommend their
> customer service if you get into a dispute with them.

Wouldn't that apply to anyone if you get into dispute?
I'm with (an alias of) plusnet, and very happy with them -
and if I ever have an issue, there's the choice of their
web-based system or an 0845 number with a real person on
the other end. A huge improvement on other ISPs I've used.
But the others recommended in this thread are also
well-reputed.

--
Nick Kew

Bryan wrote:
> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.

You can compare and review the different ISPs at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk which seems to be pretty much the standard
UK reference site for such matters.

--
Tony

Anon

I'm with supanet. Very cheap and good connection but a bit ropey on the
customer service.

"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan
>

> --
> Bryan

BT Broadband have been fine for me, after the first month or so when I
had a few discons (about 2 years ago).

Bryan wrote:
> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.

We're on BT Broadband. Has more or less been a case of plug it in, it
works, we haven't worried much beyond that. Caveat here is we aren't
using any of their email or news services, as we have alternatives we
were using before and continue to use now.
Roos recently set up a pal's, followed instructions, it worked. Only
Gotcha was the existing SMTP server (a freeserve one) didn't want to
talk through a BT connection. Which is fair enough, but you had to know
about it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Bryan wrote:
> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.

tiscali very reliable and good value at 14.99 a month for a perfectly
usable service, a bit slow to change over when we moved but that was
partly down to BT.

Richard wrote:
> BT Broadband have been fine for me, after the first month or so when I
> had a few discons (about 2 years ago).

It depends what you want. If its a bog standard service using what they
give you then its fine. Where it becomes difficult is if you want to do
something unusual when BT is unmovable but smaller ISP's will usually
help out e.g with unblocking default blocked ports etc.

I must say Nildram have been very good, despite Pipex buying them, and
their HomeTalk phone deal is much better than BT's (£4.99/month for 24/7
national phone calls)

--
Tony

Anon

force9 or plusnet

£14.99 for a 2 meg line ADSL

excellent customer service / support

I use to be with blueyonder. glad i changed

ymmv

Nick Kew wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> Mixed experience with (as dialup supplier):
>> Plusnet. Their service was excellent but I wouldn't recommend their
>> customer service if you get into a dispute with them.

> Wouldn't that apply to anyone if you get into dispute?

Er, no. Some companies would handle disputes better than more or less
telling me they didn't give a stuff about my custom. I had, at that
point been with them for several years as a paying customer.

Colin

In article <[email protected]>,
Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok loads of people using broadband here, so I'd like a recommendation
> for an ISP, or warnings against others.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan

freedom2surf.net have been good for me having moved from firelyUk after
an almighty cockup on their part to do with adding a + to everyones
username (took 4 different modems to get on top of that one). I now get
2Mbs instead of 1 at £5 a month less. Very good web site. Went with them
after reading adslguide.org as noted by others. Came second in a Which
report if you want to attach any creedence to that.

Tony Raven wrote:
> It depends what you want. If its a bog standard service using what they
> give you then its fine. Where it becomes difficult is if you want to do
> something unusual when BT is unmovable but smaller ISP's will usually
> help out e.g with unblocking default blocked ports etc.

What about if you want to get a DACS box removed from your line? This
is the problem I find myself faced with, having just moved house. I was
on BTOpenworld before but I don't really want to go back to them...

I've heard that some companies have great difficulty dealing with
getting DACS boxes removed, or - in one case I've heard of - even
acknowledging that such things exist.

d.

davek wrote:

> What about if you want to get a DACS box removed from your line? This
> is the problem I find myself faced with, having just moved house. I was
> on BTOpenworld before but I don't really want to go back to them...
>
> I've heard that some companies have great difficulty dealing with
> getting DACS boxes removed, or - in one case I've heard of - even
> acknowledging that such things exist.

We had a DACS on our line. You sign up with an ISP, they ask BT to
remove the DACS. It's that simple except when the DACS can't be removed.

Wanadoo were atrocious, they asked BT to remove the DACS, BT couldn't,
there were simply not enough copper wires coming up our hill to not have
DACSes. Wanadoo failed to get this across to us as customers due to
employing what seemed like a trained monkey to do their support emails.

We then tried BT Broadband hoping that they would have more clout, they
didn't but they were much better at telling us we couldn't have
broadband. It was simply too expensive to provide extra copper (its
underground). Unforunately the only way BT Broadband could close the
order was to enable out non-existent service and start charging us. Our
relationship with BT Broadband went downhill at that point.

Then BT mysteriously dug up the road and put in extra copper. We applied
again, this time through e7even, they asked BT to remove the DACS, BT
did. Voila, we have ADSL.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Wanadoo failed to get this across to us as customers due to
> employing what seemed like a trained monkey to do their support emails.

Well, that's progress from the original Freeserve days, when they used
monkeys but without the training AIUI... ;-/

Pete.
--

davek wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>>It depends what you want. If its a bog standard service using what they
>>give you then its fine. Where it becomes difficult is if you want to do
>>something unusual when BT is unmovable but smaller ISP's will usually
>>help out e.g with unblocking default blocked ports etc.

> What about if you want to get a DACS box removed from your line? This
> is the problem I find myself faced with, having just moved house. I was
> on BTOpenworld before but I don't really want to go back to them...
>
> I've heard that some companies have great difficulty dealing with
> getting DACS boxes removed, or - in one case I've heard of - even
> acknowledging that such things exist.
>
> d.

Don't know about DACS but I changed from ISDN which caused some problems
- BT kept saying they couldn't install ADSL as there was incompatible
equipment on the line i.e. the ISDN box which was going to be removed.
Nildram got it sorted out for me. Whoever you contract with (Bulldog I
think excepted) BT Wholesale does the installation so its just a case of
having a good ISP you can talk to that knows how to get BTW to do what
is needed. The reason for not choosing Zen is they were not able to
understand the problem.

--
Tony

Anon

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> Wanadoo failed to get this across to us as customers due to employing
>> what seemed like a trained monkey to do their support emails.

> Well, that's progress from the original Freeserve days, when they used
> monkeys but without the training AIUI... ;-/

Ah, but the murnkey was trained in French!

Colin