General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

OT, but relevant

Started by Nexis · · Last activity · 56 posts · 347 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 May 2007
Last activity
9 May 2007
Original author
Nexis
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
347
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Default wrote on 7 May 2007 16:17:43 GMT:

    ??>> In article <[email hidden]>,
    ??>> [email hidden] says...
    ??>>> Passing on this notice from a friend in Reno. Might be
    ??>>> worth a try.
    ??>>>
    ??>> The intention is good but it's a dumb idea. If people
    ??>> don't buy their gas that day they will just buy it some
    ??>> other day.

    DU> Right. Now, if everyone pledged to carpool or ride public
    DU> transport every day for a week, then maybe. But probably
    DU> not.

    DU> While I'm not thrilled by $3+ gas, I also realize that it's
    DU> not all that bad on an inflation-adjusted basis.

    Looking at the CPI figures and gas prices. When I first came to
    Washington DC in 1963, gas was 30 cents a gallon; inflation
    adjusted that is about $2 a gallon ($1.968 to be picky) so the
    price has gone up but not too spectacularly.

    DU> Brian

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

  2. Peter A said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Passing on this notice from a friend in Reno. Might be worth a try.

    The intention is good but it's a dumb idea. If people don't buy their
    gas that day they will just buy it some other day.

    I think its debatable about good intention. If you want to see a result
    you buy less gasoline *everyday*. That might mean not driving a 5 ton
    truck as a personal vehicle, planning to avoid unnecessary trips etc.

  3. "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:


    "Chatty Cathy" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Sure, many people here drive "gas-guzzlers" too - but then they can
    afford it - I can't.
    --

    Why would anyone want to, is what I don't get, unless you have
    a huge family. I dislike having to maneuver large vehicles. I love
    my little car, it gets 38-40 mpg.

    I've been driving the original SUVs, full-size Blazers, Broncos, etc.
    since I was kid. I like them. I also live close to work. My 1995 Bronco
    has 92K miles on it, it had 50K when I bought it late in 1999.

    Even with the recent surge in prices, it's still less of an impact that
    when I bought the first one in 1981, when gas was over a buck.

    So I guess cars, like food, are a matter of personal taste. I'll tell
    you what large vehicles I like. The old boats. 🙂 I drove a 1964
    Pontiac for a while, in the 1980s. It was like a living room on
    wheels. You could sleep three in the trunk if you wanted to. There
    was not a piece of fiberglass or plastic on that car. It had no fins,
    but the longest ass end in any given parking lot. I adored that car.

  4. cybercat said:


    So I guess cars, like food, are a matter of personal taste. I'll tell
    you what large vehicles I like. The old boats. 🙂 I drove a 1964
    Pontiac for a while, in the 1980s. It was like a living room on
    wheels. You could sleep three in the trunk if you wanted to. There
    was not a piece of fiberglass or plastic on that car. It had no fins,
    but the longest ass end in any given parking lot. I adored that car.


    You do realize you are leaving yourself wide open here for a rude remark??

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy - who will leave that to Greg 😉

  5. cybercat said:

    "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:


    "Chatty Cathy" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > Sure, many people here drive "gas-guzzlers" too - but then they can
    > afford it - I can't.
    > --

    Why would anyone want to, is what I don't get, unless you have
    a huge family. I dislike having to maneuver large vehicles. I love
    my little car, it gets 38-40 mpg.

    I've been driving the original SUVs, full-size Blazers, Broncos, etc.
    since I was kid. I like them. I also live close to work. My 1995 Bronco
    has 92K miles on it, it had 50K when I bought it late in 1999.

    Even with the recent surge in prices, it's still less of an impact that
    when I bought the first one in 1981, when gas was over a buck.

    So I guess cars, like food, are a matter of personal taste. I'll tell
    you what large vehicles I like. The old boats. 🙂 I drove a 1964
    Pontiac for a while, in the 1980s. It was like a living room on
    wheels. You could sleep three in the trunk if you wanted to. There
    was not a piece of fiberglass or plastic on that car. It had no fins,
    but the longest ass end in any given parking lot. I adored that car.

    I had a 1965 Imperial about a decade ago. It was a fraction of an inch under 19
    feet, and weighed over 5,000 pounds. The living room on wheels characterization
    is quite appropriate to those cars. Well, they didn't have "TV sets" like some
    of today's minivans and SUVs, but otherwise they were like living rooms. My
    Imperial had a signal seeker radio with a foot pedal you could tap to find the
    next station. Real high tech! ;-)

    But I wasn't driving 50 miles each way to work with this Imperial. I put on a
    total of 17,000 miles in the 7 years I drove it. That's hardly using a lot of
    gas even at the 7 mpg city, 15 mpg highway that the car got.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  6. On Mon, 07 May 2007 00:21:21 GMT, "wff_ng_7" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Nexis said:

    NO GAS...On May 15, 2007

    ...

    Quoted message said:

    Here in San Diego, gas is over $3.50 in some places. It cost me $79 to fill
    the other day. Meanwhile, Exxon is posting hundreds of billions of dollars in
    profits...yet claims they have to cut production because the profit margins
    have gotten too low?

    Take a look at the following summary of the boycott idea on snopes.com:

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

    The problem is a one day event won't do a damn thing, in spite of that mythical
    boycott in April 1997. People have to change their habits long term, and so far
    there seems to be very little inclination to do that. Gas probably will have to
    get to $4/gallon for people to make any effort.

    Some of the things people could do are unbelievably simple, but they can't be
    bothered. Maybe if they were only speeding by 5 mph over the limit instead of 10
    mph over. Maybe if they bought the bread and picked up the dry cleaning on the
    same outing. But it's easier to blame the oil companies, the Arabs, the
    government... just about anyone other than themselves.

    I find the current situation almost humorous, after living through the gas
    crises of 1974 and 1979. People just don't know what sacrifice is anymore.

    perhaps if all 73,000,000 bought exactly one-half gallon, poured it
    over themselves and lit a match, it would make a difference. but i
    wouldn't bet on it.

    might be fun to watch, though.

    your pal,
    blake

  7. On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:26:51 GMT, "wff_ng_7" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    wff_ng_7 said:

    Take a look at the following summary of the boycott idea on
    snopes.com:

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

    The problem is a one day event won't do a damn thing, in spite of that
    mythical boycott in April 1997. People have to change their habits
    long term, and so far there seems to be very little inclination to do
    that. Gas probably will have to get to $4/gallon for people to make
    any effort.

    We could probably find that being said not so long ago about two- and
    three-buck gas. I suspect that shows that the Effort Threshhold
    is always going to be just far enough out of reach that by the time
    prices reach it a higher one will have replaced it. Paradoxically but
    inaccurately, let's blame Zeno. 🙂

    I definitely remember it being said that $2 gas and $3 gas would result in a
    change. People only change their habits if the increase happens real fast so
    that it is a shock... a real shock to their finances. Less than that, and the
    only response is whining.

    thank god whining is still free!

    your pal,
    blake

  8. blake murphy said:

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 01:26:51 GMT, "wff_ng_7" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I definitely remember it being said that $2 gas and $3 gas would result in a
    change. People only change their habits if the increase happens real fast so
    that it is a shock... a real shock to their finances. Less than that, and the
    only response is whining.

    thank god whining is still free!

    Whining may be free, but I still think they should have to pay to have someone
    listen! ;-)

    Yesterday there was a great cartoon in the Washington Post on the gas price
    issue:

    http://tinyurl.com/39ew3v

    Very appropriate for this thread!

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  9. cybercat said:

    I drove a 1964
    Pontiac for a while, in the 1980s. It was like a living room on
    wheels. You could sleep three in the trunk if you wanted to. There
    was not a piece of fiberglass or plastic on that car. It had no fins,
    but the longest ass end in any given parking lot. I adored that car.

    That's why they called you the "Glory Hole Cum Queen"...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  10. kilikini said:
    wff_ng_7 said:
    Default User said:

    Peter A wrote:

    > In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    > says...

    Quoted message said:

    Needless to say, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people that
    are driving big SUVs on 50 mile each way commutes. I might
    commiserate with a Honda Fit driver who stays close to home though!
    ;-)

    That may be, but my husband needs a larger vehicle because he is a carpenter
    and he has to haul generators, drills, saws, sawhorses, nails, etc. And he
    drives anywhere from over an hour to an hour and a half to a job. The thing
    is, he's employed and many carpenters in this area are not. We're grumbling
    about the gas increase because our budget is tight as it is, but again, he's
    working. On the plus side, I don't have a car so we only have to worry
    about one car payment, one insurance payment and gas for the one SUV.

    Since it's actually being used for something that requires it, you are forgiven!

    My dad was in construction and used to drive all over creation as a result. So I
    know what you mean about needing it and driving long distances. I don't call
    that "commuting" in the sense of someone working at a desk job at the same
    location every day. Fortunately for my dad, he didn't have to carry anything
    bigger than construction plans most of the time. He drove a Corvair for years (a
    small economy car).

    Unfortunately around here, a majority of the SUVs and pickup trucks seem to be
    merely a "fashion statement" for their owners. And many are driven as single
    passenger commuter vehicles for long distances. That pushes the price of gas up
    for everyone.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  11. wff_ng_7 said:
    Default User said:
    Peter A said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Needless to say, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people that
    are driving big SUVs on 50 mile each way commutes. I might
    commiserate with a Honda Fit driver who stays close to home though!
    ;-)

    That may be, but my husband needs a larger vehicle because he is a carpenter
    and he has to haul generators, drills, saws, sawhorses, nails, etc. And he
    drives anywhere from over an hour to an hour and a half to a job. The thing
    is, he's employed and many carpenters in this area are not. We're grumbling
    about the gas increase because our budget is tight as it is, but again, he's
    working. On the plus side, I don't have a car so we only have to worry
    about one car payment, one insurance payment and gas for the one SUV.

    kili

  12. wff_ng_7 said:
    kilikini said:
    wff_ng_7 said:

    "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Peter A wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    >> says...

    Quoted message said:

    Needless to say, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people
    that are driving big SUVs on 50 mile each way commutes. I might
    commiserate with a Honda Fit driver who stays close to home though!
    ;-)

    That may be, but my husband needs a larger vehicle because he is a
    carpenter and he has to haul generators, drills, saws, sawhorses,
    nails, etc. And he drives anywhere from over an hour to an hour and
    a half to a job. The thing is, he's employed and many carpenters in
    this area are not. We're grumbling about the gas increase because
    our budget is tight as it is, but again, he's working. On the plus
    side, I don't have a car so we only have to worry about one car
    payment, one insurance payment and gas for the one SUV.

    Since it's actually being used for something that requires it, you
    are forgiven!

    My dad was in construction and used to drive all over creation as a
    result. So I know what you mean about needing it and driving long
    distances. I don't call that "commuting" in the sense of someone
    working at a desk job at the same location every day. Fortunately for
    my dad, he didn't have to carry anything bigger than construction
    plans most of the time. He drove a Corvair for years (a small economy
    car).

    Unfortunately around here, a majority of the SUVs and pickup trucks
    seem to be merely a "fashion statement" for their owners. And many
    are driven as single passenger commuter vehicles for long distances.
    That pushes the price of gas up for everyone.

    Thanks! I wish we had a smaller car, but there's no way around it. He
    needs it. We really suffer on our trips up to my doctor's office; he takes
    a day off of work and what we spend in gas (because my doctor is 5 hours
    away), he would have made up for at his job. It's like we doubly lose with
    gas prices and loss of income. But, what are you going to do?

    kili

  13. On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:52:47 GMT, Puester <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    From the hints being given in news reports, we will be at $4 or more by
    midsummer.

    Is that for premium or regular?

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  14. sf said:

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:52:47 GMT, Puester <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    From the hints being given in news reports, we will be at $4 or more by
    midsummer.

    Is that for premium or regular?

    Regular.

    Do you use premium? Do you listen to the Car Guys on NPR?
    They say there's no reason to use premium unless you want
    racetrack performance from a performance car.

    gloria p

  15. Puester said:
    sf said:

    Puester wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From the hints being given in news reports, we will be at $4 or more by
    midsummer.

    Quoted message said:

    Is that for premium or regular?

    Regular.

    Do you use premium?  Do you listen to the Car Guys on NPR?
    They say there's no reason to use premium unless you want
    racetrack performance from a performance car.

    That's not true... many engines require premium. Read your owner's
    manual to learn which octane rating to use for your car. There are
    many myths associated with how to maintain an automobile, octane
    ratings is just one... if you use a lower octane rating than is
    prescribed in the owner's manual you will damage your engine and void
    your warranty... it's fairly easy for a trained mechanic to determine
    if an engine has been damaged by using fuel with too low an octane
    rating. But if the owners manual indicates to use regular than by all
    means do so, to use premium in that engine is just a waste of money.
    And in fact driving a high performance car at excessively low rpm for
    protracted periods will damage that engine regardless using the
    correct fuel... kinda stupid to buy a high performance six speed that
    you're ascared to drive at speeds above third gear.

    Sheldon

  16. "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks! I wish we had a smaller car, but there's no way around it. He
    needs it. We really suffer on our trips up to my doctor's office; he
    takes
    a day off of work and what we spend in gas (because my doctor is 5 hours
    away), he would have made up for at his job. It's like we doubly lose
    with
    gas prices and loss of income. But, what are you going to do?

    You'll get better, get a job, buy a little car. Problem solved.

  17. cybercat said:


    "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks! I wish we had a smaller car, but there's no way around it. He
    needs it. We really suffer on our trips up to my doctor's office; he takes
    a day off of work and what we spend in gas (because my doctor is 5 hours
    away), he would have made up for at his job. It's like we doubly lose with
    gas prices and loss of income. But, what are you going to do?

    You'll get better, get a job, buy a little car. Problem solved.

    Well, maybe not solved. Her husband still needs the SUV and needs to drive it
    long distances. I'm sure he'd still like cheaper gas. A little car would help on
    the nonwork driving, as long as the costs don't exceed the savings in gas.
    That's where the "but what are you going to do?" comes in.

    I wish the people that really don't need to be burning a scarce commodity
    didn't, so it wouldn't run up the price for those who do need it. Sometimes the
    greatest burdens fall on those least able to cope with them.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  18. "wff_ng_7" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:_L30i.2506$vX4.1193@trnddc05...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:


    "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks! I wish we had a smaller car, but there's no way around it. He
    needs it. We really suffer on our trips up to my doctor's office; he
    takes
    a day off of work and what we spend in gas (because my doctor is 5 hours
    away), he would have made up for at his job. It's like we doubly lose
    with
    gas prices and loss of income. But, what are you going to do?

    You'll get better, get a job, buy a little car. Problem solved.

    Well, maybe not solved. Her husband still needs the SUV and needs to drive
    it long distances. I'm sure he'd still like cheaper gas. A little car
    would help on the nonwork driving, as long as the costs don't exceed the
    savings in gas. That's where the "but what are you going to do?" comes in.

    I wish the people that really don't need to be burning a scarce commodity
    didn't, so it wouldn't run up the price for those who do need it.
    Sometimes the greatest burdens fall on those least able to cope with them.

    She'll get better, get a job, buy a little car, and that will help a great
    deal.
    Like that better?

  19. cybercat said:


    "wff_ng_7" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:_L30i.2506$vX4.1193@trnddc05...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:


    "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > Thanks! I wish we had a smaller car, but there's no way around it. He
    > needs it. We really suffer on our trips up to my doctor's office; he
    > takes
    > a day off of work and what we spend in gas (because my doctor is 5 hours
    > away), he would have made up for at his job. It's like we doubly lose
    > with
    > gas prices and loss of income. But, what are you going to do?
    >

    You'll get better, get a job, buy a little car. Problem solved.

    Well, maybe not solved. Her husband still needs the SUV and needs to drive
    it long distances. I'm sure he'd still like cheaper gas. A little car
    would help on the nonwork driving, as long as the costs don't exceed the
    savings in gas. That's where the "but what are you going to do?" comes in.

    I wish the people that really don't need to be burning a scarce commodity
    didn't, so it wouldn't run up the price for those who do need it.
    Sometimes the greatest burdens fall on those least able to cope with them.

    She'll get better, get a job, buy a little car, and that will help a great
    deal.
    Like that better?

    Yes, I like that better! ;-)

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  20. "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Wish we could afford a little car. But I do hope I get better! Thanks
    for
    that! Monday is my next appointment and I go for another CT scan. Keep
    your fingers crossed for me! :~)

    I am. Your condition is always in the back of my mind. Life is hard
    enough without [censored] like that broadsiding you, especially when you are
    so young.

    As for the car stuff, and the money stuff, I am married to a "ooo nooo,
    we don't have enough money, where can we cut baaaaaack" kinda
    guy.

    My solution is always, "Cut back hell, let's make more money." I
    know it is not possible for everyone to do this, but it is for many.

    I see you getting well. Your life has barely begun.

    Re cars: I want a Prius! They are cute and weird looking hybrids!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.