OT - but *why*????

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. See http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_788283.html

    I mean, okay, it's for charity. But *why*?????

    A fridge??? *why*????

    cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. To carry the beer he'll need to refresh himself at the top?

  3. Not too original, either. Tony Hawkes took one all around Ireland, and wrote a book about it.

    Although to pinch a topic from another thread, at least it's physically tricky, not a sponsored
    holiday cycling somewhere nice!

    Regards,

    Pete.

  4. [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    > A fridge??? *why*????

    It's probably all Tony Hawks' fault.

  5. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > To carry the beer he'll need to refresh himself at the top?

    That's what I reckon too. Presumably he has a support team with a mobile generator who are out of
    frame. :)

    Pete

  6. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    > See http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_788283.html
    >
    > I mean, okay, it's for charity. But *why*?????
    >
    > A fridge??? *why*????

    Follows on from that pointless trip around Ireland with a fridge a bout 5(?) years ago.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 07 Jun 2003 21:34:04 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >A fridge??? *why*????

    Because it's a kitchen appliance so everyone assumes it's heavy, but actually it's mostly empty
    space so weighs very little. When I was a removal man I used to carry fridges and small chest
    freezers single-handed. Well, I used both hands, obviously, but you know what I mean.

    I once transported a washing machine single-handed (up two flights of stairs) and wished afterwards
    that I hadn't.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > See http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_788283.html
    >
    > I mean, okay, it's for charity. But *why*?????
    >
    > A fridge??? *why*????

    The same reason probably as why someone did the London Marathon in a diving suit this year; because
    they can. There are plenty that think going to the top of a mountain is a pretty pointless task and
    even more so walking or cycling when there is a perfectly good train service to the top of Snowdon.

    Tony ;-)

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 10:43:22 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There are plenty that think going to the top of a mountain is a pretty pointless task and even more
    >so walking or cycling when there is a perfectly good train service to the top of Snowdon.

    But it's not "perfectly good" - I can get to the top & back quicker than the train!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 10:43:22 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> There are plenty that think going to the top of a mountain is a pretty pointless task and even
    >> more so walking or cycling when there is a perfectly good train service to the top of Snowdon.
    >
    > But it's not "perfectly good" - I can get to the top & back quicker than the train!

    You can beat 2.5hrs roundtrip to the Summit from Llanberis? I'm impressed Guy! Or are you cheating
    and choosing times when the train doesn't run?

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  11. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > You can beat 2.5hrs roundtrip to the Summit from Llanberis? I'm impressed Guy! Or are you cheating
    > and choosing times when the train doesn't run?

    Cycles are not allowed on Snowdon all through the summer, i.e. when the train is running.

    Jim Price

  12. "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > To carry the beer he'll need to refresh himself at the top?
    >
    > That's what I reckon too. Presumably he has a support team with a mobile generator who are out of
    > frame. :)

    <dig dest="out of hole"> No, it's not plugged in so he saves the beer until he plugs it in at the
    top of Snowdon! </dig

  13. Pete

    Pete Guest

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Jim Price <[email protected]> typed:

    > Cycles are not allowed on Snowdon all through the summer, i.e. when the train is running.

    They are and although some want to present it as a ban it is in fact a voluntary agreement not to
    cycle on the Snowdon bridleways between 10am and 5pm from June 1 to September 30. You'd have to be
    mad to want to cycle them then anyway as the paths are often crowded with pedestrians.

    http://www.snowdonbridleways.co.uk/ban.php

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 12:05:24 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> You can beat 2.5hrs roundtrip to the Summit from Llanberis? I'm impressed Guy! Or are you
    >> cheating and choosing times when the train doesn't run?

    >Cycles are not allowed on Snowdon all through the summer, i.e. when the train is running.

    Who said anything about cycles? I was walking. Remember the 30 minutes the train spends at the top,
    though ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > Who said anything about cycles? I was walking. Remember the 30 minutes the train spends at the
    > top, though ;-)

    The train roundtrip time of 2.5hrs includes the wait for the train at the top.
    http://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/journey.html

    The Llanberis-Snowdon race record is 62min 29 seconds (10mph average!). Walking is generally
    reckoned to be about 4 - 5 hrs including time to stop at the top. So what is your time?

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  17. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 12:05:24 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>>You can beat 2.5hrs roundtrip to the Summit from Llanberis? I'm impressed Guy! Or are you
    >>>cheating and choosing times when the train doesn't run?
    >>

    >>Cycles are not allowed on Snowdon all through the summer, i.e. when the train is running.
    >

    > Who said anything about cycles?

    Sorry, just me thinking it might be on topic:)

    > I was walking. Remember the 30 minutes the train spends at the top, though ;-)

    I think its somewhere in the region of four miles, so it should be fairly straightforward. I just
    chose to cycle around it on the roads last summer.

    Jim Price

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:30:33 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Llanberis-Snowdon race record is 62min 29 seconds (10mph average!). Walking is generally
    >reckoned to be about 4 - 5 hrs including time to stop at the top. So what is your time?

    Best time, about 2 1/2 hours. I started wearing in trainers and changed to boots halfway up. I set
    off from Llanberis a couple of minutes after the train with my wife and kids in it, saw them just
    after they'd set off downwards from the summit, and reached the bottom about the same time they did.

    I think that was the day that finally did for my old Hawkins Cairngorm boots :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > Best time, about 2 1/2 hours. I started wearing in trainers and changed to boots halfway up. I
    > set off from Llanberis a couple of minutes after the train with my wife and kids in it, saw them
    > just after they'd set off downwards from the summit, and reached the bottom about the same time
    > they did.

    Impressive but I'll tut at you for saying you can got there and back quicker though ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 18:58:35 +0100, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Impressive but I'll tut at you for saying you can got there and back quicker though ;-)

    If I hadn't been taking it at a leisurely stroll I'd have had to wait ages for them to get
    back down ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)