OT: by request, stache b'gone

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 22, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond wrote:
    > I'm not that abnormal lookin'!
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/16968390 (second from left)

    Typical W.Hartford/Simsbury Yuppie Bastard Spawn, if you ask me.

  2. Penny S. wrote:
    > BB thoughtfully penned:
    >
    >>This is getting to feel rather Oprah-ish...
    >

    > the Dr. Phil approach wasn't working.

    Is it time for the group hug yet, so we can close this thread?

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Jon Bond wrote:
    > > I'm not that abnormal lookin'!
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16968390 (second from left)
    >

    > Typical W.Hartford/Simsbury Yuppie Bastard Spawn, if you ask me.

    I am fairly decked out there, yes. What you can't see are the Diesel jeans... (before you yell, I
    got 'em for free from the rich Thai kid across the hall. I won't pay for anything more than Levis,
    and then usually get 'em on sale...).

    Usual attire is tshirt and hiking shorts. And a Marzocchi hat when I need a haircut ;)

    Jon Bond

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > I know there is a opening at my local super wallies in the tire and lube section, but i don't
    > approve of their filter selection so i won't even grace them with my skills (and trust me, from
    > what i have seen, i would be able to run the show compared to the guys they have now).

    Aren't you a little bit too unemployed to be getting picky about jobs? If you think you could run
    the show, why don't you? If you go in there and move rapidly through the ranks, it'll look a damn
    site better on your CV than sitting at home and left-handed surfing.

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 22 May 2003 22:21:38 GMT, Jon Bond wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not that abnormal lookin'!
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16968390 (second from left)
    >
    > We got a lot of "normal" looking people here. I know I could blend into a crowd without anyone
    > noticing (guy on right with way-too-big shirt):
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/images/Ben-Me.jpg

    Yeah, same here - always blending, me:

    http://www.bombacommand.iwarp.com/shaun.htm

    That's me, but now I gotz a different-ish 'do, and a little, long and wiggly beard on the tip of the
    chin, hence : ',;~}~. Oh, yeah - the beard really does look like that, except when I hit the town
    weekend nights, when it gets treated to being straight spiked, sometimes with red and yellow gel
    (flame style). Like I said, always blending........ahem.....

    Shaun aRe - you all already seen those photies anyhow.

    P.s. - is black nail varnish really out these days? Heheheheh..........

  7. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    You should update that link - it's now http://www.j-harris.net/bike/shaun/index.htm

    > That's me, but now I gotz a different-ish 'do, and a little, long and wiggly beard on the tip of
    > the chin, hence : ',;~}~. Oh, yeah - the beard really does look like that, except when I hit the
    > town weekend nights, when it gets treated to being straight spiked, sometimes with red and yellow
    > gel (flame style). Like I said, always blending........ahem.....

    You can't buy style like that...

    > Shaun aRe - you all already seen those photies anyhow.
    >
    > P.s. - is black nail varnish really out these days? Heheheheh..........

    Compared to when it was 'in'?

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, same here - always blending, me:
    > >
    > > http://www.bombacommand.iwarp.com/shaun.htm
    >
    > You should update that link - it's now http://www.j-harris.net/bike/shaun/index.htm

    Aye, I know, but it worked when I tried it, and I couldn't be arsed finding the new one ',;~}~

    > > That's me, but now I gotz a different-ish 'do, and a little, long and
    wiggly
    > > beard on the tip of the chin, hence : ',;~}~. Oh, yeah - the beard
    really
    > > does look like that, except when I hit the town weekend nights, when it
    gets
    > > treated to being straight spiked, sometimes with red and yellow gel
    (flame
    > > style). Like I said, always blending........ahem.....
    >
    > You can't buy style like that...

    But you can sure as hell pay for it.

    > > Shaun aRe - you all already seen those photies anyhow.
    > >
    > > P.s. - is black nail varnish really out these days? Heheheheh..........
    >
    > Compared to when it was 'in'?

    Yeah, you know - Jesus and Mary Chain (and the rest), 'I wanna kill myself because life is soooo
    dull and bad, oh no, I'm gonna take loads of paracetamol and vodka right now because all my clothes
    came out the wash grey and my black lipstick won'tsmudge' and shit like that.

    Shaun aRe - Well, at least mine's only on my toe nails.

  9. Westie

    Westie Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.macgregoss.qld.edu.au/qldwebchall/cigarettes/images/pimples.jpg

    > > > Every time one of you guys post a picture of your mug it trips me out.
    > Am
    > > I the only normal looking dewd on this ng!?!?!?!
    > > > --
    > > > Slacker
    > >
    > > I'm not that abnormal lookin'!
    > >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/image/16968390 (second from left)
    >
    > You look like a college guy. The rest of them really are scary as shit.
    >
    > http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/turtle.jpg
    >
    > I look normal, don't I?

    Ummmm... can you define 'normal' for me again.... ;-)
    --
    Westie

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:53:14 +1200, Westie wrote:
    >
    > > Who's Ben Stein?
    >
    > A guy who had a pretty decent game show on a cable comedy channel for awhile. He's also been on
    > some movies and commercials, most notably the monotone teacher on "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".
    >
    > Anyone? Anyone?
    >
    > ...oh and he also was a speechwriter for Richard Nixon and he's a damn smart guy. On his show,
    > people would win $5,000 for beating him in a trivia game.
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

    Ok. He's been around obviously. :)
    --
    Westie

  11. Technician

    Technician Guest

  12. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > > I know there is a opening at my local super wallies in the tire and lube section, but i don't
    > > approve of their filter selection so i won't even grace them with my skills (and trust me, from
    > > what i have seen, i would be able to run the show compared to the guys they have now).
    >
    > What difference does their "filter" selection make? It's.. um.. a *job*, isn't it?

    I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper towel
    into somebodies car. I would never use that crap in my car, and i will drop dead before i put it in
    somebody else's.
    --
    ~Travis

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    TDWFL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >"Penny S." [email protected] wrote: >TDWFL thoughtfully
    penned:
    > >> couldn't get used to touching my eye, and
    > >>
    > >> How about surgery?
    > >>
    > >> tim
    > >
    > >you think the guy who can't afford a bike can afford LASIK? If nothing else, go for the $99
    > >glasses fram update.
    >
    > Now that I read the whole thread I see you're correct. I've been too busy riding lately to check
    > in here!

    Shaun aRe

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper towel
    > into somebodies car. I would never use that crap in my car, and i will drop dead before i put it
    > in somebody else's.

    <sigh> Trav, it's supply and demand. People *want* that stuff. It is not your car, it is not your
    company and it is not your personal responsibility to decide what someone installs in their own
    car. If you feel that strongly, take the job and convince people to spend a bit more money on their
    oil filters.

    We've all had crap jobs at some point, but it all counts as experience. Don't look at it as a
    permanent job, just a stop gap that will keep (I mean start) the money coming in and give you extra
    experience that proves to future employers that you are capable of holding a position of
    responsibility.

    I sold mountain bike-shaped toys from an auto parts store for four years. Some of the stuff I sold
    made Walgooses look good, yet it was great experience of working in a proper company and helped get
    me my first job as an IT consultant. Added to which, it was great fun.

    As I said in my other post, you are far too unemployed to be having ethics on, of all things, oil
    filters. Get off your arse and apply for the job, before our last smidgeons of patience and sympathy
    for you disappear.

  15. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > <snip>
    > >

    > Matt
    >
    > PS - I think I look pretty "normal". Here's me if anyone's curious:
    > http://mattb.net/images/misc/me_05-03.jpg Should I change my look? Maybe get glasses or grow a
    > 'stache?

    Thanks to BB, here's a shot of some "normal" AMB'ers:

    I'm advertising for Greg Thomas on the left

    http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/bridge.jpg

    In the Gay Roadie jacket working on a bike:

    http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/millertime.jpg

    Paladin just folks

  16. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper
    > > towel into somebodies car. I would never use that crap in my car, and i will drop dead before i
    > > put it in somebody else's.

    <snip>

    > We've all had crap jobs at some point, but it all counts as experience. Don't look at it as a
    > permanent job, just a stop gap that will keep (I mean start) the money coming in and give you
    > extra experience that proves to future employers that you are capable of holding a position of
    > responsibility.

    <more snip>

    Yeah, like when I was a video clerk. Renting porn was particularly distasteful at times. Like when
    this one guy would rent on his lunch hour one day/week when the Mrs. was doing something else. He'd
    bring back the tape in like 40 Minutes and he never rewound. The highlight of that job was a cute
    college girl asking me to help her choose one (cue the "bow chica-wow-wow" music). It didn't end up
    like a porn film or anything, but there was a certain element of novelty to it.

    People would also come up with the latest Stallone or VanDamme film and ask "Is this good?". Most of
    the time I hadn't seen it, but I could be pretty confident that it was utter crap. I'd smile and say
    "Haven't seen it yet. People (thinking to myself "Idiots like you") do seem to like it.".

    Having to fight the urge to answer the "What would you recommend?" question with "I recommend you
    get off you fat ass and stop watching all these shitty movies and actually do something like ride
    you bike or talk to your family for once!" was always a challenge.

    It was a stepping stone and now I'm glad I put up with it all.

    Matt

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Paladin wrote:

    > Thanks to BB, here's a shot of some "normal" AMB'ers:
    >
    > I'm advertising for Greg Thomas on the left
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/bridge.jpg
    >
    > In the Gay Roadie jacket working on a bike:
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/millertime.jpg

    More "normal" AMB'ers: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/nantmawr/P1010002.JPG

    From the left, Huw, some roadie, Shaun aRe and Dr Chequer.

  18. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > <snip>
    > > >

    > > Matt
    > >
    > > PS - I think I look pretty "normal". Here's me if anyone's curious:
    > > http://mattb.net/images/misc/me_05-03.jpg Should I change my look? Maybe get glasses or grow
    > > a 'stache?
    >

    > Thanks to BB, here's a shot of some "normal" AMB'ers:
    >
    > I'm advertising for Greg Thomas on the left
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/bridge.jpg
    >
    > In the Gay Roadie jacket working on a bike:
    >
    > http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/millertime.jpg
    >
    > Paladin just folks

    It always seems to amaze me to see the real face behind an online name.
    --
    ~Travis

  19. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Paladin wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to BB, here's a shot of some "normal" AMB'ers:
    > >
    > > I'm advertising for Greg Thomas on the left
    > >
    > > http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/bridge.jpg
    > >
    > > In the Gay Roadie jacket working on a bike:
    > >
    > > http://bbauer.gomen.org/idaho/millertime.jpg
    >
    > More "normal" AMB'ers: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/nantmawr/P1010002.JPG
    >
    > From the left, Huw, some roadie, Shaun aRe and Dr Chequer.

    by golly Shaun, that looks like an AM-B headband.

    Now, i know a while back there was a AM-B roster (still around?), but what we need now is a
    collection of pictures to go with it.

    Given that DSL has just come into my area, and i may be getting it, if so i could host it on my
    server, though it still needs a bit of straightening up after the upgrade. but somebody could host
    it, and maybe a few mirrors. IMO, it should be automated, but moderated (so folks don't just add
    names to spite the server). i know enough PHP and MySQL to get by to make a fairly good site, just
    don't have the bandwidth currently to host it. Like a AM-B gallery type of thing.
    --
    ~Travis

  20. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:56:50 +0100, Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > Shaun aRe - you all already seen those photies anyhow.

    I just remember some skinny lilly-white red-haired dude that brought on equally scary thoughts about
    what my daughter might bring home...must be someone else.