OT: by request, stache b'gone

> Kathleen thoughtfully penned: <I snipped>
> >>

> >> I have too much pride than to put a oil filter that has the equivalence of a piece of paper
> >> towel into somebodies car. I would never use that **** in my car, and i will drop dead before i
> >> put it in somebody else's.
> >
> > Travis, I swear to god, it pisses me off to read stuff like this. You know what my first job
> > was? I was a dog washer for the poodle breeder next door. I shampoo'ed and blowdried poodles. On
> > the contrary. I worked because I wanted money of my own. I despised having to ask any time I
> > wanted something my folks didn't consider a high priority item. What the hell do you care what
> > other people choose to put in their car? Get off your ass and get a job. Any job. Put your back
> > into it and learn to do it well. Move up and on when you get the chance. But stop sponging off
> > your parents. You claim you've got "pride"? Apparently it's a pretty selective sort of pride.
> > I'm starting to believe you must've been born under the Sign of the Tick.
> >
> > Kathleen
>
> What she said. My first job was a waitress at a "Sambo's" pancake house.
>
> Penny

First job was ski instructing. Sounds nice, but its still minimum wage (yes, minimum).

After that, banquet waiting - all the fun of waiting, plus you have to deal with drunk people,
no tips, and moving hundreds of plates and glasses all at the same time. THAT was a pain in
the ass job!

Almost had to get a job delivering pizzas - still might. Depends if they actually hold true to their
promise of more hours at the bike shop!

Jon Bond

On Fri, 23 May 2003 13:39:50 -0700, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> More "normal" AMB'ers: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/nantmawr/P1010002.JPG
>>
>> From the left, Huw, some roadie, Shaun aRe and Dr Chequer.
>

>Now, I know everyone says Rimmer looks like that Bean dude, but whenever I see a pic of Rimmer I
>see something entirely different.... http://www.uta.fi/~cstivi/rocky/images/curryadd.jpg
>http://www.uta.fi/~cstivi/rocky/images/dinner.jpg http://pages.prodigy.net/area512/rockyhwall2.jpg

ROTFLMFAO!!!! hahahahahahahaha, that's some funny she-ot!!!

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 24 May 2003 06:14:42 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Kathleen thoughtfully penned: <I snipped>

> >> Travis, I swear to god, it pisses me off to read stuff like this. You know what my first job
> >> was? I was a dog washer for the poodle breeder next door. I shampoo'ed and blowdried poodles.
> >> On the contrary. I worked because I wanted money of my own. I despised having to ask any time I
> >> wanted something my folks didn't consider a high priority item. What the hell do you care what
> >> other people choose to put in their car? Get off your ass and get a job. Any job. Put your back
> >> into it and learn to do it well. Move up and on when you get the chance. But stop sponging off
> >> your parents. You claim you've got "pride"? Apparently it's a pretty selective sort of pride.
> >> I'm starting to believe you must've been born under the Sign of the Tick.
> >>
> >> Kathleen
> >
> >What she said. My first job was a waitress at a "Sambo's" pancake house.
> >
> >Penny
> >

> What they said. My first job was fry cook at the local Mrs. Winners!
>
> Dave

First job was McDonald's, gotta love being exploited by a multi-national company.

Dave

BB wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:56:50 +0100, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>

>>Shaun aRe - you all already seen those photies anyhow.
>

> I just remember some skinny lilly-white red-haired dude that brought on equally scary thoughts
> about what my daughter might bring home...must be someone else.

I guess that might have been me:

24.25.223.217/~mdtodd/miles.jpg

Miles

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:56:50 +0100, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Shaun aRe - you all already seen those photies anyhow.
>
> I just remember some skinny lilly-white red-haired dude that brought on equally scary thoughts
> about what my daughter might bring home...must be someone else.

Heheheh - a bit further from the reality would be hard to get, huh? Now, whether that's a good or
bad thing.......heheheh......

Shaun aRe

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > More "normal" AMB'ers: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/nantmawr/P1010002.JPG
> >
> > From the left, Huw, some roadie, Shaun aRe and Dr Chequer.
>

> Now, I know everyone says Rimmer looks like that Bean dude,

They need lazik.

> but whenever I see a pic of Rimmer I see something entirely different....
> http://www.uta.fi/~cstivi/rocky/images/curryadd.jpg
> http://www.uta.fi/~cstivi/rocky/images/dinner.jpg http://pages.prodigy.net/area512/rockyhwall2.jpg

You need therapy.

Shaun aRe

TDWFL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >"Shaun Rimmer" [email protected] wrote: >> Now that I read the whole
> thread I see you're correct. I've been too busy
> >> riding lately to check in here!
> >

> Of course it is. Someone here told me to "Get out and ride", so I did. Nothing's ever "my" fault.
> Perish the thought. tim

So, some faceless inaudible internet voice tells you to do something, and you're right on it? You
have no mind or will of your own? Hell fire - your problems are rather large ones.

Shaun aRe

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "TacomaBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Yeah improvement again IMO. But who am I to say hehe... Don't get contacts on my account hehe.
> > But, I think after you get used
> > em, they really do become your friend, and they help ones self esteem... Another reason I am out
> > to lose 40 pounds!
>

> Put Travis in a Hawaiian shirt, some Dockers, loafers, and he could be in a Bud Light commercial.
> Lookin good, dude! Just remember, your bait determines the kind of fish you catch.
>
> Paladin

I vote he'll catch dogfish......

Shaun aRe - heheheheh...

David L <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 24 May 2003 06:14:42 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Kathleen thoughtfully penned: <I snipped>

You

> > >What she said. My first job was a waitress at a "Sambo's" pancake house.
> > >
> > >Penny
> > >

> > What they said. My first job was fry cook at the local Mrs. Winners!
> >
> > Dave
> >

> First job was McDonald's, gotta love being exploited by a multi-national company.

And mine was feeding the conveyor type dish-wash machine in the local hospital kitchen, then pulling
the clean things off the other end. The machine used super-heated steam, toxic detergent, it was
summer and the outside temps were in the 80's, the kitchen had no vents, and I had to run from one
end of the machine to the other every 2 minutes to keep up with it. I had an average of 4 nose
bleeds a day after the first week of that job from a mixture of the heat and the detergent in the
steam filled air. I was straight out of secondary (high) school, so I was only 16 years old. I never
once thought of quitting.

Shaun aRe - did all my sponging years later, heheheheh.....

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Now, I know everyone says Rimmer looks like that Bean dude,
> >
> > They need lazik.
> >

> > > but whenever I see a pic of Rimmer I see something entirely different....
> > > http://www.uta.fi/~cstivi/rocky/images/curryadd.jpg
> > > http://www.uta.fi/~cstivi/rocky/images/dinner.jpg
> > > http://pages.prodigy.net/area512/rockyhwall2.jpg
> >
> > You need therapy.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>

> I tried, but they kicked me out!

You are doomed.

Shaun aRe

> And mine was feeding the conveyor type dish-wash machine in the local hospital kitchen, then
> pulling the clean things off the other end. The machine used super-heated steam, toxic detergent,
> it was summer and the outside temps were in the 80's, the kitchen had no vents, and I had to run
> from one end of the machine to the other every 2 minutes to keep up with
it.
> I had an average of 4 nose bleeds a day after the first week of that job from a mixture of the
> heat and the detergent in the steam filled air. I
was
> straight out of secondary (high) school, so I was only 16 years old. I
never
> once thought of quitting.

Almost the same for me; worked in a nursing home kitchen running the Hobart (dish washer). My
coworker's favorite pastime was huffing Pam (the non stick spray) through toilet paper cores.

It was income though.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<EEKAa.743190$OV.679547@rwcrnsc54>...
> > And mine was feeding the conveyor type dish-wash machine in the local hospital kitchen, then
> > pulling the clean things off the other end. The machine used super-heated steam, toxic
> > detergent, it was summer and the outside temps were in the 80's, the kitchen had no vents, and I
> > had to run from one end of the machine to the other every 2 minutes to keep up with
> it.
> > I had an average of 4 nose bleeds a day after the first week of that job from a mixture of the
> > heat and the detergent in the steam filled air. I
> was
> > straight out of secondary (high) school, so I was only 16 years old. I
> never
> > once thought of quitting.
> >

> Almost the same for me; worked in a nursing home kitchen running the Hobart (dish washer). My
> coworker's favorite pastime was huffing Pam (the non stick spray) through toilet paper cores.
>
> It was income though.

My 2.5 jobs the summer I was 15 (warning -- stop here, because this is going to be ridiculously
long): 1 - I'd ride my bmx bike 5 miles to the local stripmall, lock it up, and clock in at Pathmark
supermarket. I'd walk back outside, take a deep breath of early summer air fragrant with tall grass,
road tar and exhaust, and survey the vast parking lot for empty shopping carts. I'd hoof out to a
remote corner to collect the furthestmost cart, and push it along to it's nearest neighboring cart,
press them together, and so on. By the time I got back to the front of the lot, (slightly uphill, by
the way) I'd have 25-30 shopping carts in a train. I'd make little games to see how many I could
maneuver at a time. I got 1/2 hour for lunch, during which I'd spazzily try and make the girl at the
deli counter like me (didn't work). Clocked out at 5pm. Pay? Minimum. I don't even remember.
Something like $3.85/hr? Is that possible? What was US minimum in '85? (Note: at least as important
as the paycheck was the fact that in three months I also got strong enough to top taking sh?t from
the local bully who had terrorized me for years. Pushing carts to gain a modicum of self respect.
Who woulda thunk?) 2 - I'd leave Pathmark and walk along the strip mall to its other end to TJMaxx,
an 'irregular' clothing store (with air conditioning!) I'd walk to the back bathroom and wash up. At
6, I'd clock in as the maintenance guy, which basically meant lugging stuff around, fixing broken
display racks, spraying chewing gum on the floor with freon and popping it off with a paint scraper,
cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping and mopping. I worked with some cute sales girls who treated me as
a pariah, and a sales guy who dated the girl I'd been in love with since 4th grade and never had the
guts to talk to (yes, I still hate myself for it). Clocked out at 9. Pay? Minimum. With my day done,
I'd walk back to Pathmark, unlock my bike, ride home or somewhere else. .5 - A buddy Doug and I put
flyers around our nabe for carpentry, odd-jobs, and etc. Mostly, we did driveway surfacing,
installed fences, mailboxes, dug ditches, whatever. Maybe $8-10/hr off the books, even! Serious
money when we found jobs. Believe it or not, I was actually having a pretty decent time. Most of
what I remember from that summer was sneaking into a swimclub, playing basketball, and flinging
myself into trees on my bmx. Since then:
- sold Rainbow vaccuum cleaners door to door
- housepainting
- framing condos one icy winter while sleeping in my car at night
- bouncer
- snow shoveller
- lawnmower-mover
- sous chef
- supermarket produce guy, deli guy, hot-foods guy, fish guy/lobster killer
- baker
- babysitter
- website designer
- summer camp counselor
- I totally bs'ed my way into a job as an investment broker in CT
- carpentry and construction
- copywriter
- two waiter-ing jobs (I was whisked off the floor before completing a single shift both times for
responding to tables of assholes in kind)
- pizza delivery bike guy
- dining hall food service during college -- yes, i picked up dirty trays from my college mates
There's probably a half-dozen others I don't remember. When I was between jobs, I was looking for
another one. When there was a span, I've been hungry enough to salivate at the sight of
butterflies and newspaper. Don't get me wrong, working sucks, but the worse the job, the more
menial, dangerous, and demeaning, the funnier it is when you look back on it, baby. For me,
anyway....

/s

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<EEKAa.743190$OV.679547@rwcrnsc54>...
> > > And mine was feeding the conveyor type dish-wash machine in the local hospital kitchen, then
> > > pulling the clean things off the other end. The machine used super-heated steam, toxic
> > > detergent, it was summer and the outside temps were in the 80's, the kitchen had no vents, and
> > > I had to run from one end of the machine to the other every 2 minutes to keep up with
> it.
> > > I had an average of 4 nose bleeds a day after the first week of that job from a mixture of the
> > > heat and the detergent in the steam filled air. I
> was
> > > straight out of secondary (high) school, so I was only 16 years old. I
> never
> > > once thought of quitting.
> > >
> /s

At 14 I was an assistant janitor to a lazy old coot at an elementary school; I cleaned a lot of
toilets. then a janitor at a restaurant, working for a mean old *****, then dishwasher, and finally
cook; At college I had a buncha work-study jobs, lousy, menial suckers, wrote parking tickets, (set
a record for 106 in 1hr) sorted mail; painted houses in the summer, did tax returns as a
pseudo-bookkeeper, relief police dispatch graveyard weekends, dog-catcher, city cop, disc jockey,
accountant, self-defense instructor, jizz-mopper at a porno-shop (j/k), you name it, you do what you
gotta do. I supported my family in high school as a greasy spoon cook when my dad ran out on us for
a few years. I didn't like it, but I did it.

I worked three jobs trying to get enough money to finish up my education so I could go to law school
(accountant by day, cop on weekends, disc jockey at night, you find a way to make it happen, once
you realize life is what you're willing to make of it.

Selling oil filters is not a bad start.

Paladin

TDWFL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >"Shaun Rimmer" [email protected] wrote: >> Of course it is. Someone
here
> told me to "Get out and ride", so I did.
> >> Nothing's ever "my" fault. Perish the thought. tim
> >
> >So, some faceless inaudible internet voice tells you to do something, and you're right on it? You
> >have no mind or will of your own? Hell fire -
your
> >problems are rather large ones.
>
> You're responding to one of those faceless inaudible voices right now.

Your point doesn't follow.

> Perhaps it'd be better to worry about your own problems.

I don't worry about my problems - I solve them.

> Me, I'm going riding.

Go on then - run as soon as the going gets rough! Sheesh.......

> tim

Shaun aRe