OT: campsite, Devon

Fran

Guest
Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
in Devon please? I'd like flush toilets, warm water to wash in,
shower. I don't mind booking but I'd rather be able to just turn
up, find a space and pitch in it - and I'm totally bewildered by
the choice on the ukcampsite.co.uk site. That, and the fact that
the most promising sites don't have websites to investigate.
Anyone?
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
> in Devon please? I'd like flush toilets, warm water to wash in,
> shower. I don't mind booking but I'd rather be able to just turn
> up, find a space and pitch in it - and I'm totally bewildered by
> the choice on the ukcampsite.co.uk site. That, and the fact that
> the most promising sites don't have websites to investigate.
> Anyone?
> --
> Fran
> If you need my email address please ask.

In the Style of the departed one.... :)

Which part of Devon?
How many nights?
Will you need GPS?
I only ever camp wild.

:eek:)

Seriously, I have stayed at Peppermint Park many moons ago in Dawlish
Warren, not bad from what I recall.
In Paignton I have stayed many times at Beverly Park, very commercial site
but highly recommended for the views over the Bay. Both would need to be
booked I would guess though, saying that twice I turned up at Beverley on
the off chance and got a pitch.

regards
Alan

---

In message <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
>in Devon please?

Last April we stayed at:

Channel View Caravan & Camping Park
Manor Farm, Barbrook, Lynton, Devon EX35 6LD - England, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)1598 753349 - Fax: +44 (0)1598 752777
http://www.ukcampsite.com/west-country/channel-view-caravan-&-camping-par
k.htm

The owner actually opened the site for us a day or two earlier than he
was planning to open for the season, that's what I call service. He also
tried to severely undercharge us, and had to be forced into accepting
more money!

Next door is the Beggars Roost Inn, speak to them nicely and they might
cook you breakfast.

Regards
--
Neil Pugh

If you want easy access to walk on Dartmoor, try Plume of Feathers in
Princetown:

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/plume.html

Situated in middle of moor, so there is a bit of a drive to get anywhere
else, though the heart of Plymouth is probably only 30-45 minutes away.

PU

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:48:49 +0100, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/plume.html
>>

>I've emailed them. Thanks.
>--

I think I have been there twice; each time as the endpoint of an
"outward bound" type leadership weekend.

The first time, I was shouted at by the rest of my team. I'd been a
right miserable s*d all day ["Can we go a bit slower? My rucksack is
heavy"] until all of a sudden it's "I can see the pub! Look
everyone...... a pub!!! Come on! Last one there gets the ale in!!".

I was an omnivore back in those days but I seem to remember the food
was good ..... even if I did fall asleep with my head on the plate!

Judith

[email protected] said...
> In the Style of the departed one.... :)

Uh-oh, I spy with my little eye a photographic or GPS thread...

> Which part of Devon?

Dartmoor would be nice but we're not really all that bothered.

> How many nights?

How long is a piece of string? Anything from 2 to 7

> Will you need GPS?

I hope not - I can't find it!

> I only ever camp wild.

And my family's fairly wild all the time whether we're being camp
or not.

I saw Peppermint Park mentioned elsewhere - it looked a bit 'too
much' for us. Not so much in terms of cost, but in terms of
campsite. Showers, warm water, toilet... we really don't want
any more than that. We like to camp 'basic' rather than all
mod.cons. Leastways, most of us do. Teenage daughter would
disagree... ;-\
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
> in Devon please? I'd like flush toilets, warm water to wash in,
> shower. I don't mind booking

The Plume is okay but the camping field leaves a lot to be desired, try
Higher Longford Caravan Park, they are just outside Tavistock (about 2 miles
into the moor) and there facilities rival, if not better, the Plumes and
their pitches are far better. This is however reflected in their
prices...........but you get what you pay for!!!!
Their web address is http://www.higherlongford.co.uk/Frontsheet.html
Hope this helps.

Andy

[email protected] said...
> The Plume is okay but the camping field leaves a lot to be desired,

Out of interest - would you mind being a tad more specific?
What's wrong with it, or rather, what didn't you like about it?
--
Fran
If you need my email address please ask.

> Out of interest - would you mind being a tad more specific?
> What's wrong with it, or rather, what didn't you like about it?
> --

Yes, I would be interested to know too. I use the campsite at the Plume
several times a year and have never had any cause to complain. The only
minor comment is on the facilities - toilets and shower block. Last year
they spent thousands updating them and they are very good, however, if the
campsite is full, there are only 3 sinks, 2 showers and 2 traps. Gets a bit
overcrowded!

The campsite is fine, though if wet, I would suggest you pitch at the far
end of the site - bit quieter too! The grass nearest the car park does get
quite soggy. I tend to pitch against the far hedge.

The only time it gets really busy and heaving, is in the run-up to Ten
Tors. Each weekend from March to mid May, will see the site full with groups
training.

Paul