OT: campsite, Devon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Fran, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Fran

    Fran Guest

    Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
    in Devon please? I'd like flush toilets, warm water to wash in,
    shower. I don't mind booking but I'd rather be able to just turn
    up, find a space and pitch in it - and I'm totally bewildered by
    the choice on the ukcampsite.co.uk site. That, and the fact that
    the most promising sites don't have websites to investigate.
    Anyone?
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.

    Tags:

  2. AC

    AC Guest

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
    > in Devon please? I'd like flush toilets, warm water to wash in,
    > shower. I don't mind booking but I'd rather be able to just turn
    > up, find a space and pitch in it - and I'm totally bewildered by
    > the choice on the ukcampsite.co.uk site. That, and the fact that
    > the most promising sites don't have websites to investigate.
    > Anyone?
    > --
    > Fran
    > If you need my email address please ask.

    In the Style of the departed one.... :)

    Which part of Devon?
    How many nights?
    Will you need GPS?
    I only ever camp wild.

    :eek:)

    Seriously, I have stayed at Peppermint Park many moons ago in Dawlish
    Warren, not bad from what I recall.
    In Paignton I have stayed many times at Beverly Park, very commercial site
    but highly recommended for the views over the Bay. Both would need to be
    booked I would guess though, saying that twice I turned up at Beverley on
    the off chance and got a pitch.

    regards
    Alan

    ---

  3. Neil Pugh

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Fran
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
    >in Devon please?

    Last April we stayed at:

    Channel View Caravan & Camping Park
    Manor Farm, Barbrook, Lynton, Devon EX35 6LD - England, UK
    Telephone: +44 (0)1598 753349 - Fax: +44 (0)1598 752777
    http://www.ukcampsite.com/west-country/channel-view-caravan-&-camping-par
    k.htm

    The owner actually opened the site for us a day or two earlier than he
    was planning to open for the season, that's what I call service. He also
    tried to severely undercharge us, and had to be forced into accepting
    more money!

    Next door is the Beggars Roost Inn, speak to them nicely and they might
    cook you breakfast.

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh

  4. Paul Upham

    Paul Upham Guest

    If you want easy access to walk on Dartmoor, try Plume of Feathers in
    Princetown:

    http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/plume.html

    Situated in middle of moor, so there is a bit of a drive to get anywhere
    else, though the heart of Plymouth is probably only 30-45 minutes away.

    PU

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
    > in Devon please? I'd like flush toilets, warm water to wash in,
    > shower. I don't mind booking but I'd rather be able to just turn
    > up, find a space and pitch in it - and I'm totally bewildered by
    > the choice on the ukcampsite.co.uk site. That, and the fact that
    > the most promising sites don't have websites to investigate.
    > Anyone?
    > --
    > Fran
    > If you need my email address please ask.

  5. Fran

    Fran Guest

  6. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:48:49 +0100, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/plume.html
    >>

    >I've emailed them. Thanks.
    >--

    I think I have been there twice; each time as the endpoint of an
    "outward bound" type leadership weekend.

    The first time, I was shouted at by the rest of my team. I'd been a
    right miserable s*d all day ["Can we go a bit slower? My rucksack is
    heavy"] until all of a sudden it's "I can see the pub! Look
    everyone...... a pub!!! Come on! Last one there gets the ale in!!".

    I was an omnivore back in those days but I seem to remember the food
    was good ..... even if I did fall asleep with my head on the plate!

    Judith

  7. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > In the Style of the departed one.... :)

    Uh-oh, I spy with my little eye a photographic or GPS thread...

    > Which part of Devon?

    Dartmoor would be nice but we're not really all that bothered.

    > How many nights?

    How long is a piece of string? Anything from 2 to 7

    > Will you need GPS?

    I hope not - I can't find it!

    > I only ever camp wild.

    And my family's fairly wild all the time whether we're being camp
    or not.

    I saw Peppermint Park mentioned elsewhere - it looked a bit 'too
    much' for us. Not so much in terms of cost, but in terms of
    campsite. Showers, warm water, toilet... we really don't want
    any more than that. We like to camp 'basic' rather than all
    mod.cons. Leastways, most of us do. Teenage daughter would
    disagree... ;-\
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.

  8. Andy Wilkes

    Andy Wilkes Guest

    Can anyone recommend a cheap'n'cheerful basic campsite somewhere
    > in Devon please? I'd like flush toilets, warm water to wash in,
    > shower. I don't mind booking

    The Plume is okay but the camping field leaves a lot to be desired, try
    Higher Longford Caravan Park, they are just outside Tavistock (about 2 miles
    into the moor) and there facilities rival, if not better, the Plumes and
    their pitches are far better. This is however reflected in their
    prices...........but you get what you pay for!!!!
    Their web address is http://www.higherlongford.co.uk/Frontsheet.html
    Hope this helps.

    Andy

  9. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > The Plume is okay but the camping field leaves a lot to be desired,

    Out of interest - would you mind being a tad more specific?
    What's wrong with it, or rather, what didn't you like about it?
    --
    Fran
    If you need my email address please ask.

  10. Paul Upham

    Paul Upham Guest

    > Out of interest - would you mind being a tad more specific?
    > What's wrong with it, or rather, what didn't you like about it?
    > --

    Yes, I would be interested to know too. I use the campsite at the Plume
    several times a year and have never had any cause to complain. The only
    minor comment is on the facilities - toilets and shower block. Last year
    they spent thousands updating them and they are very good, however, if the
    campsite is full, there are only 3 sinks, 2 showers and 2 traps. Gets a bit
    overcrowded!

    The campsite is fine, though if wet, I would suggest you pitch at the far
    end of the site - bit quieter too! The grass nearest the car park does get
    quite soggy. I tend to pitch against the far hedge.

    The only time it gets really busy and heaving, is in the run-up to Ten
    Tors. Each weekend from March to mid May, will see the site full with groups
    training.

    Paul