General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

( OT ) Can anyone post here

Started by Kevin & Amanda · · Last activity · 82 posts · 1,450 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 March 2004
Last activity
24 March 2004
Original author
Kevin & Amanda
Posts
82
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,450
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 82
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Kevin & Amanda) said:

    Hello: Thank you for the nice welcome Melba. I just
    noticed the link on the discussion links page and decided
    to see what this group is all about. Do recipes get posted
    to the group? Again thank you for the welcome and have a
    nice sunny day. Amanda

    Recipes? Whatever for? Oh, I'm KIDDING. Yeah, actually
    recipes do sometimes get posted. Many people have posted
    here for years and feel like they "know" each other (not in
    the Biblical sense, although I can't say that with 100%
    accuracy), and there's a lot of informality and teasing
    among The Cabal (TINC).

    And some inside jokes like j/lnghlm (I don't think that's
    right -- someone will correct me in a moment) and the
    Legend of St. Frogthroid (that's not right, either --
    where's Miche or Squeaks?). I cry for happy that in our
    midst you have become.

    If, however, you're looking for actual recipes without any
    extraneous verbage, try rec.food.recipes. That's a
    moderated group -- posts are screened before they go to
    the distributive newsservers. You can post a request to
    r.f.recipes and then people post recipes in response to
    the requests.

    Don't be insulted if you post somewhere and no one responds.
    There are the vagaries of cyberspace -- and sometimes people
    just don't have the information.

    And be prepared for some to make complimentary and/or smarmy
    remarks about any recipe you might post. Key To Remember:
    It's Just A Newsgroup.

    If you've just found us, you need to have this recipe
    -- I am personally acquainted with the woman who made
    these famous:

    { Exported from MasterCook Mac }

    Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies

    Recipe By: Barb Schaller Serving Size: 24 Preparation Time:
    0:45 Categories: Bars

    Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 1 cup unsalted
    butter (8 oz.) 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate 2 cups
    granulated sugar (15 oz.) 4 eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon almond extract 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
    (walnuts or pecans) 1 1/3 cups cake flour (6 oz.) 1 teaspoon
    baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

    Move oven rack to center and preheat oven to 350? F. Line a
    9x13" metal baking pan with parchment paper.

    In microwave oven, on medium-high power, melt butter and
    chocolate in 2-quart microwave-safe bowl, about 3 minutes.
    Stir until smooth. Mix in granulated sugar, then beat in
    eggs, one at a time, with wire whisk.

    Mix in vanilla and almond. Stir in nuts. Combine cake flour,
    baking powder, and salt and fold into chocolate. Spread
    batter in 9x13" pan lined with baking parchment and bake in
    preheated oven at 350?F for about 33-35 minutes. Do not
    overbake; toothpick may have fudgy crumbs on it, but not wet
    batter. Cool pan on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing
    (if you wish) brownies from pan.
    ----------
    Notes: Please, keep the moaning down; it annoys the
    neighbors. I use the baking parchment so the whole can be
    removed from the pan for easy transport to a lucky
    recipient. May want to support the bottom with cardboard.

    First Place, Plain Brownies, 1997 and 2002 Minnesota State
    Fairs. Adapted from recipe in Cook's Illustrated magazine,
    March/April 1994. Please note that I do use real chocolate,
    unsalted butter and cake flour. If you do not, don't
    complain to me about it. In fact, don't complain to me about
    it anyway.

    Barb Schaller
    M.A. Gedney Company's State Fair Peach Raspberry Jam Lady
    Burnsville, Minnesota
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Kevin & Amanda) said:

    Hello: Thank you for the nice welcome Melba. I just
    noticed the link on the discussion links page and decided
    to see what this group is all about. Do recipes get posted
    to the group? Again thank you for the welcome and have a
    nice sunny day. Amanda

    Oh, I forgot something: You are not required to read every
    post. No tests. :-) When I started reading (9 years ago), I
    thought I had to read them all. Like it was The Rule or
    something. It's not. This is a very prolific group of
    posters and one could easily be drowned in posts. I read
    maybe 10-15% of the posts. I look for certain posters first,
    then check the subject line for personal interest.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  3. Hello, Amanda . . . Some [other] things you should know
    about RFC. "Melba" is Barb. That's her brownie recipe and I
    have tasted them made her very own hands. Some people have
    green thumbs . . . Barb has "scrumptious" thumbs. Everything
    she touches is wonderful.

    Jack Schidt® is funny and wise. Read his posts and copy
    his recipes.

    The funniest post this year is in the "Pampered Chef is
    Holding us Hostage" thread. It's by Virginia Tad . . .
    (can't spell it off the top of my head. After I read it I
    had to go change my underwear. I copied it and passed out
    copies of it at work.

    This is a very good place to hang out.

    Lynn from Fargo (Hanging out off and on since 1996 (?)

  4. [email hidden] (Kevin & Amanda) deliciously posted in news:12567-4050F1BA-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hello: Gentlemen are far from being chopped liver! I will
    be happy to give him a recipe. I just hope that he likes
    tuna fish. The recipe is for tuna melts. Here it is: Okay
    the amount of the ingredients depends on how many you need
    to make.

    I love this already. I'm not going to have to measure
    anything 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Take some english muffins and split them in half. Place
    your favorite tuna salad on top of each one. Then place a
    tomato slice on the tuna salad. Then place your favorite
    melting cheese on the tomato slice. Cook in the oven using
    either the bake or broil. Cook until the cheese is just
    the way that you like it. It i easy to make and there is
    not much to clean up. If any of you have any tuna recipes
    please feel free to share them. Have a pleasant evening
    Everyone. Amanda

    I'm sort of surprised. I do my tuna melts in a saucepan.
    Like a grilled cheese. I'm gonna try the oven method.

    Michael

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  5. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:09:46 -0500 (EST), [email hidden]

    (Kevin & Amanda) said:

    Hello: Gentlemen are far from being chopped liver! I will
    be happy to give him a recipe. I just hope that he likes
    tuna fish. The recipe is for tuna melts. Here it is: Okay
    the amount of the ingredients depends on how many you
    need to make. Take some english muffins and split them in
    half. Place your favorite tuna salad on top of each one.
    Then place a tomato slice on the tuna salad. Then place
    your favorite melting cheese on the tomato slice. Cook in
    the oven using either the bake or broil. Cook until the
    cheese is just the way that you like it. It i easy to
    make and there is not much to clean up.

    Ahhh, soul food for the young (and not so young). I toast my
    english muffins before proceeding, though... and adding a
    tomato slice is "fancy" cookin' to me!

    ;-)

    Practice safe eating - always use condiments

  6. On 11 Mar 2004 21:02:08 GMT, [email hidden] (Nancree)

    Quoted message said:


    Nospam@sonic wrote, erroneously,

    Quoted message said:

    You don't seem to have registered. You shouldn't have
    been able to post without registering. I've sent a note
    to your ISP notifying them that their host protocol
    seems to have been mis-configured. After you've
    registered, I'm sure you'll be welcome here. Hope this
    helps. :-)
    ======================


    He is mistaken--it is not necessary to register. There
    are several ways to get to this newsgroup. You are
    welcome already, right now. Don't pay attention to his
    post. There are no rules in newsgroups-- there are
    courtesy suggestions and customs. But you can say
    anything you like here, there is no monitor. However, one
    reason this ng is so popular is that most of us are
    chatty and nice to each other. Nancree


    I think she has tried very hard to be nice and fit in, I
    vote "yes".

    Practice safe eating - always use condiments

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Lynn Gifford) said:

    Hello, Amanda . . . Some [other] things you should know
    about RFC. "Melba" is Barb.

    Tattletale!
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  8. Puester <[email hidden]> deliciously posted in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Kevin & Amanda said:


    Hello: Thank you for the nice welcome Melba. I just
    noticed the link on the discussion links page and decided
    to see what this group is all about. Do recipes get
    posted to the group?

    Not often enough! There used to be lots of recipes, but
    lately it's been more arguments than food discussions.
    Stick around, it may get better once summer comes to the
    northern hemisphere and folks get more sunshine.

    gloria p

    Mmmmm... summer. Ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, olive oil
    and basil. I can just smell it.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, Dog3

    dognospam@adjfkdla;not said:

    [email hidden] (Kevin & Amanda) deliciously posted in news:12567-4050F1BA-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Take some english muffins and split them in half. Place
    your favorite tuna salad on top of each one. Then place
    a tomato slice on the tuna salad. Then place your
    favorite melting cheese on the tomato slice. Cook in the
    oven using either the bake or broil.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sort of surprised. I do my tuna melts in a saucepan.
    Like a grilled cheese. I'm gonna try the oven method.

    Michael

    Tell me you meant to say a skillet.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  10. Melba's Jammin' <[email hidden]> deliciously posted in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>, Dog3

    dognospam@adjfkdla;not said:

    [email hidden] (Kevin & Amanda) deliciously posted in news:12567-4050F1BA-
    [email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Take some english muffins and split them in half. Place
    your favorite tuna salad on top of each one. Then place
    a tomato slice on the tuna salad. Then place your
    favorite melting cheese on the tomato slice. Cook in
    the oven using either the bake or broil.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sort of surprised. I do my tuna melts in a saucepan.
    Like a grilled cheese. I'm gonna try the oven method.

    Michael

    Tell me you meant to say a skillet.

    Yes, I meant skillet. I have no idea why I posted saucepan.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I guess next I'll
    try to beat the eggs with a spatula 😉

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  11. Melba's Jammin said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    (Lynn Gifford) said:

    Hello, Amanda . . . Some [other] things you should know
    about RFC. "Melba" is Barb.

    Tattletale!

    Next thing you know, somebody's going to post *that* picture
    in the Newsgroup website. (Just click on *That* picture over
    in the left frame. We were all shocked about it.)

    Don't say I didn't warn you. <g>

    Pastorio

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, "Bob (this one)"

    Quoted message said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    (Lynn Gifford) said:

    Hello, Amanda . . . Some [other] things you should know
    about RFC. "Melba" is Barb.

    Tattletale!

    Next thing you know, somebody's going to post *that*
    picture in the Newsgroup website. (Just click on *That*
    picture over in the left frame. We were all shocked
    about it.)

    Don't say I didn't warn you. <g>

    Pastorio

    Big mouth! You promised you'd never tell! Ratfink!
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  13. "Rick & Cyndi" <[email hidden]> deliciously posted in
    news:tAl4c.15328$i76.242484@attbi_s03:

    Quoted message said:

    "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    : [email hidden] (Kevin & Amanda) deliciously posted in news:7131-4051D3BD-190@storefull-
    : 3131.bay.webtv.net:
    :
    : > Hello Everyone: LOL From what I have read so far it
    looks like
    : > the people in this group are really cool cats. You
    : > don't
    sound
    : > like a group of strangers. You sound more like a
    : > family.
    I want
    : > to wish all of you a nice sunny day. Amanda
    :
    : Does this mean we're all invited to dinner?
    :
    : Michael
    : --
    ============

    That's how I read it! Woo-hoo! Road trip to Connecticut!
    Hey Michael if you can make it to my place, I'll drive us
    the rest of the way... bought a used van just last
    weekend. That's just the type of drive to make sure
    everything in it works as it should.

    Oh God. A van. Is there a mattress in the back?

    Michael

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  14. "Dog3" , Cyndi" , &(Kevin & Amanda)

    : >:
    : >: > Hello Everyone: LOL From what I have read so far
    it
    : > looks like
    : >: > the people in this group are really cool cats. You
    don't
    : > sound
    : >: > like a group of strangers. You sound more like a
    family.
    : > I want
    : >: > to wish all of you a nice sunny day. Amanda
    : >:
    : >: Does this mean we're all invited to dinner?
    : >:
    : >: Michael
    : >: --
    : > ============
    : >
    : > That's how I read it! Woo-hoo! Road trip to Connecticut!
    Hey
    : > Michael if you can make it to my place, I'll drive
    : > us the
    rest of
    : > the way... bought a used van just last weekend.
    : > That's just
    the
    : > type of drive to make sure everything in it works as it
    should.
    :
    : Oh God. A van. Is there a mattress in the back?
    :
    : Michael

    =========

    No, not yet but the seats do fold flat, sorta. And they are
    removed easily...

    I'm looking forward to getting a hitch put on so I can pull
    the pop-up camper with it. Ohhhh, and if DH would get busy
    with the deck of the pontoon boat...! Woo-hoo! Come on
    summer! Yay!!!!

    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  15. Dog3 said:

    "Rick & Cyndi" <[email hidden]> deliciously
    posted in news:tAl4c.15328$i76.242484@attbi_s03:

    Quoted message said:

    "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    : [email hidden] (Kevin & Amanda) deliciously posted in
    : :"]news:[email hidden]:
    :
    : > Hello Everyone: LOL From what I have read so far it
    looks like
    : > the people in this group are really cool cats. You
    : > don't
    sound
    : > like a group of strangers. You sound more like a
    : > family.
    I want
    : > to wish all of you a nice sunny day. Amanda
    :
    : Does this mean we're all invited to dinner?
    :
    : Michael
    : --
    ============

    That's how I read it! Woo-hoo! Road trip to Connecticut!
    Hey Michael if you can make it to my place, I'll drive us
    the rest of the way... bought a used van just last
    weekend. That's just the type of drive to make sure
    everything in it works as it should.

    Oh God. A van. Is there a mattress in the back?

    Michael

    Floor-to-ceiling carpeting. Red. Shag.

    ---jkb

    --
    "To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's
    problems."
    -- Homer Simpson

  16. On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:20:28 -0500 (EST), [email hidden] (Kevin &
    Amanda) arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

    Quoted message said:

    Hello: Thank you for the nice welcome Melba. I just noticed
    the link on the discussion links page and decided to see
    what this group is all about. Do recipes get posted to the
    group? Again thank you for the welcome and have a nice
    sunny day. Amanda

    You might want to subscribe to rec.food.recipes, a moderated
    newsgroup that posts only recipe requests and recipes.

    Welcome, Amanda!

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
    had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
    been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
    good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  17. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:59:07 GMT, linehauler <[email hidden]>
    arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a newbie to this NG as well, lurked for the past
    couple of weeks. I quite frankly didn't know it existed
    until a comment on another NG I subscribe to directed me.
    Looks like a great NG. I'm a truck driver by trade but am
    usually home before my wife (a schoolteacher) and over
    the years I've frequently done the cooking for our
    family. Cooking has turned into a serious hobby for me,
    one that I'll continue probably for the rest of my life.
    My wife is a good cook, but I've got the time, the
    energy, and the passion; my wife happily handed off meal
    prep and grocery shopping to me.

    Best wishes to all in this newly-discovered NG, I've
    got more than a few recipes I'd love to share.

    Welcome, Paul! You'll find we're a fairly disparate group
    and the OT (Off Topic) posts abound, but if you think of the
    newgroup as a caffe klache with a group of friends in
    someone's kitchen, yakkin' the day away, you won't be far
    off the mark. And read Barb Schaller's comments to Amanda
    (Melba's Jammin'😉. She had some good advice for newbies.

    OB Food: @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    French Onion Soup

    quick and easy, soups and stews

    5 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons oil 5 medium onions;
    peeled and -- thinly sliced 1 teaspoon sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons
    salt 6 cups beef broth 1 cup red wine 8 slices French bread;
    cubed and toasted Parmesan cheese or Asiago cheese; grated

    Saute the onions in butter and oil in a heavy skillet over
    medium heat until they are soft and take on color. You may
    sprinkle with with a small amount of sugar and toss them so
    the sugar carmelizes and colors them. Salt them. Add boiling
    broth and wine. Blend over medium heat. Serve in heated
    bowls with cheese and toasted bread.

    (I prefer to serve the croutons on the side and let everyone
    add them as they eat, so the croutons don't get so horribly
    soggy. I like a little "crunch" to 'em.)

    Contributor: James Beard

    Yield: 4 servings

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
    had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
    been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
    good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Nancree) said:

    Nospam@sonic wrote, erroneously,

    Quoted message said:

    You don't seem to have registered. You shouldn't have
    been able to post without registering. I've sent a note
    to your ISP notifying them that their host protocol seems
    to have been mis-configured. After you've registered, I'm
    sure you'll be welcome here. Hope this helps. :-)
    ======================


    He is mistaken--it is not necessary to register.

    He's winding people up -- he's been doing it as long as I've
    been here (10 years).

    Miche

    --
    If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. --
    Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Melba's Jammin said:

    And some inside jokes like j/lnghlm (I don't think that's
    right -- someone will correct me in a moment)

    The original spelling was j/lnhlghm. The short spelling
    is j/lnghm.

    (It frightens me that I remember stuff like this.)

    Quoted message said:

    and the Legend of St. Frogthroid (that's not right, either
    -- where's Miche or Squeaks?). I cry for happy that in our
    midst you have become.

    St Frghoptd's Day. And is just round corner being. Eat much
    j/lnghlm and think home. Cry for happy.

    Quoted message said:

    Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies

    OHmigoodness these are good.

    I made a batch of these as a last huzzah right before I had
    to give up wheat. It was worth it.

    Miche

    --
    If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. --
    Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

  20. Miche said:

    In article <barbschaller-
    [email hidden]>, Melba's

    Jammin said:

    And some inside jokes like j/lnghlm (I don't think that's
    right -- someone will correct me in a moment)

    The original spelling was j/lnhlghm. The short spelling is
    j/lnghm.

    (It frightens me that I remember stuff like this.)

    Quoted message said:

    and the Legend of St. Frogthroid (that's not right, either
    -- where's Miche or Squeaks?). I cry for happy that in our
    midst you have become.

    St Frghoptd's Day. And is just round corner being. Eat
    much j/lnghlm and think home. Cry for happy.

    Don't forget much real Elbonian thokpt

    Olaf

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.