OT: Churchill on Islam. Advice from the past.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by WillBrink, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. WillBrink

    WillBrink Guest

    Churchill, after the battle to wrest control of Sudan from Islam in
    the19th century:

    ³How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries!
    Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as
    hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The
    effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly
    systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of
    property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A
    degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the
    next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every
    woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a
    child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of
    slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among
    men. Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities - but the influence
    of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.
    No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being
    moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has
    already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at
    every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong
    arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the
    civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of
    ancient Rome.² ‹Sir Winston Churchill, from The River War, first
    edition, Vol. II, pages 248-50 (London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1899).

    --
    Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

    Tags:

  2. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article
    <WillBrink*NOSPAM*[email protected]>,
    WillBrink <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:

    > Churchill, after the battle to wrest control of Sudan from Islam in
    > the19th century:
    >
    > ³How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries!
    > Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as
    > hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The
    > effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly
    > systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of
    > property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A
    > degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the
    > next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every
    > woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a
    > child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of
    > slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among
    > men. Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities - but the influence
    > of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.
    > No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being
    > moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has
    > already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at
    > every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong
    > arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the
    > civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of
    > ancient Rome.² ‹Sir Winston Churchill, from The River War, first
    > edition, Vol. II, pages 248-50 (London: Longmans, Green & Co., 1899).

    Couldn't get anything by Churchill.

    --
    Keith

  3. On 2005-07-27 09:47:30 -0400, WillBrink <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> said:

    > Churchill, after the battle to wrest control of Sudan from Islam in
    > the19th century:
    >
    > ³How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries!
    > Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as
    > hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The
    > effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly
    > systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of
    > property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A
    > degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the
    > next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every
    > woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a
    > child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of
    > slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among
    > men. Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities - but the influence
    > of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow
    > it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being
    > moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has
    > already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at
    > every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the
    > strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly
    > struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the
    > civilisation of ancient Rome.² ‹Sir Winston Churchill, from The River
    > War, first edition, Vol. II, pages 248-50 (London: Longmans, Green &
    > Co., 1899).

    Eh. Contemporary (Arabic) Islam is not so different than Christianity
    prior to the Reformation.

    The Arab Muslims are about 10 centuries behind Western culture.

    I don't think you can attribute it solely to the religion, though.
    There are a host of other socio-political and socio-economic factors
    involved.

    --
    Martin Shuster

    martin dot shuster at aya dot yale dot edu

  4. Muslims are as dumbass stupid as Christians. So? That's news?

  5. WillBrink <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:

    Do you even know what the topic of this newsgroup is?

    Or are you just tired of having your credentials shoved up
    your ass every time you belie their irrelevance?

    >every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong
    >arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled,

    I.e., were it not that in the late Victorian age Christianity
    was a parlor game and science was ruling society...

    Whereas now, at least in America, an entire political party
    has decided to reverse not only the Revolution but the
    Enlightenment as well...

    --Blair
    "You can't keep up is your problem."

  6. Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    > WillBrink <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
    > >

    > Do you even know what the topic of this newsgroup is?
    >
    > Or are you just tired of having your credentials shoved up
    > your ass every time you belie their irrelevance?

    At least he had the decency to use OT in the subject, give him some
    credit!

    > >every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong
    > >arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled,

    > I.e., were it not that in the late Victorian age Christianity
    > was a parlor game and science was ruling society...
    >
    > Whereas now, at least in America, an entire political party
    > has decided to reverse not only the Revolution but the
    > Enlightenment as well...

    puhlease. How's the view from inside you own ass?

  7. <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    >> WillBrink <WillBrink*NOSPAM*@Comcast.net> wrote:
    >> >

    >> Do you even know what the topic of this newsgroup is?
    >>
    >> Or are you just tired of having your credentials shoved up
    >> your ass every time you belie their irrelevance?

    >At least he had the decency to use OT in the subject, give him some
    >credit!

    I don't give credit to rapists who wear rubbers, either.

    >> >every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong
    >> >arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled,

    >> I.e., were it not that in the late Victorian age Christianity
    >> was a parlor game and science was ruling society...
    >>
    >> Whereas now, at least in America, an entire political party
    >> has decided to reverse not only the Revolution but the
    >> Enlightenment as well...

    >puhlease. How's the view from inside you own ass?

    Pull your head out and tell us.

    --Blair
    "Suborning treason is no way to
    go through life, son."