OT: Clear Channel promoting violence again...

Tom Arsenault

Guest
Hello everyone,

I live in the Raleigh NC area, and listening to the Bob and Madison Showgram on a local Clear
Channel station here, on Monday, the old schtick of violence against cyclists came up. The hosts
were talking about running riders off of the road being fun, throwing things at them, trying to pick
them, and so on and so forth. Of course this being NC, there were plenty of rednecks calling in
screaming, "HELL YEAH! Get them fags off of the road in their spandex!" OK maybe not a direct quote,
but I'm sure it was something like that.

I ask that all of you that like to be heard, and I know there is a lot of those people in here,
write into the station to voice your opinions on morning show personalities promoting violence and
injury to cyclists. I think the more mail we can inundate them with, the better. I've also started a
local campaign around here with my team out of Greensboro to start blanketing their advertisers to
ask them to pull ads from the station. Here are some e-mail addresses to send stuff in to:

Station General Manager Ken Spitzer: [email protected]

Operations Manager Chris Shebel: [email protected]

Programming Director Chris Edge: [email protected]

Thanks to anyone who will write in and let them know that they are dumbasses.

Regards, Tom

Tom Arsenault wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I live in the Raleigh NC area, and listening to the Bob and Madison Showgram on a local Clear
> Channel station here, on Monday, the old schtick of violence against cyclists came up. The hosts
> were talking

Didn't this just come up with another Clear Channel owned station?

Is there such a rule that the FCC mandates for "persistent" or "repeat" offending?

In article <1064378563.480917@ns>, Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Arsenault wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I live in the Raleigh NC area, and listening to the Bob and Madison Showgram on a local Clear
> > Channel station here, on Monday, the old schtick of violence against cyclists came up. The hosts
> > were talking
>
> Didn't this just come up with another Clear Channel owned station?
>
> Is there such a rule that the FCC mandates for "persistent" or "repeat" offending?

FCC=Eunuch. The FCC has no power over broadcasters.

KP

--
Remove _me_ for e-mail address

[email protected] (Tom Assenault) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello everyone,
<SNIP>
> Regards, Tom

Douche,

This is rec.bicycles.racing. Why do we care about this ****? This is the kind of **** they talk
about in the recumbent ng.

Dude, you need to get a thicker skin.

We DO wear ******-like spandex pants. You sound like a bunch of old geezers trying to get Howard
Stern off the air.

Now, did you have any bike racing topics you wanted to bring up?

news:<[email protected]>...

kaiser wrote:
> Dude, you need to get a thicker skin.
>
> We DO wear ******-like spandex pants. You sound like a bunch of old geezers trying to get Howard
> Stern off the air.
>
> Now, did you have any bike racing topics you wanted to bring up?

We all ride on the roads, and it's always a good thing to bash assholes out of simple principle.
I'll go toe-to-toe with a driver, outside their vehicle, if I have to, but this vehicular incitement
to violence should not be tolerated.

Someone should research these shock jocks, find out where they live, who their spouse and kids are,
and make it public knowledge. Then let THEM know. If they want it hard, give it to 'em hard.

[email protected] (kaiser) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dude, you need to get a thicker skin.
>
> We DO wear ******-like spandex pants. You sound like a bunch of old geezers trying to get Howard
> Stern off the air.
>
> Now, did you have any bike racing topics you wanted to bring up?
>

> [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I live in the Raleigh NC area, and listening to the Bob and Madison Showgram on a local Clear
> > Channel station here, on Monday, the old schtick of violence against cyclists came up. The hosts
> > were talking about running riders off of the road being fun, throwing things at them, trying to
> > pick them, and so on and so forth. Of course this being NC, there were plenty of rednecks
> > calling in screaming, "HELL YEAH! Get them fags off of the road in their spandex!" OK maybe not
> > a direct quote, but I'm sure it was something like that.
> >
> > I ask that all of you that like to be heard, and I know there is a lot of those people in here,
> > write into the station to voice your opinions on morning show personalities promoting violence
> > and injury to cyclists. I think the more mail we can inundate them with, the better. I've also
> > started a local campaign around here with my team out of Greensboro to start blanketing their
> > advertisers to ask them to pull ads from the station. Here are some e-mail addresses to send
> > stuff in to:
> >
> > Station General Manager Ken Spitzer: [email protected]
> >
> > Operations Manager Chris Shebel: [email protected]
> >
> > Programming Director Chris Edge: [email protected]
> >
> > Thanks to anyone who will write in and let them know that they are dumbasses.
> >
> > Regards, Tom

Assholes...

This is why I posted it as OT as directed by the "rules" of this group. And just so that you know,
lots of people care about stuff like this so ********.

Tom

> >From: [email protected] (Tom Arsenault)
>
> >Assholes...
> >
> >This is why I posted it as OT as directed by the "rules" of this group. And just so that you
> >know, lots of people care about stuff like this so ********.
> >
> >Tom
>
> So when, say Lance, or George get picked off by a Bubba down there that
won't
> be "racing" news? The term "redneck" comes from the fact that if your bent over as in
hoeing,
> plowing, or picking most crops the back of your neck gets sunburned. Since
I've
> done all of these, and been a real redneck for many years I object to this terms derogatory use
> here, but then I need to come up with a new term for "liberals" who oppose freedom of association,
> freedom of speech, promote censorship, and advocate discrimination based on gender and skin color.
When I
> slam the liberal left here, these are the ones I'm commenting on. These shock jocks are just
> gutless ratings driven corporate pinheads. Bill C

Careful, Bill. You're beginning to sound like Tom K. on a rant. That old liberal organization,
the ACLU, supports all those things you claim liberals oppose.

Clear Channel executives have apparently "corrected" the problem in two of their markets where
this previously happened. I suggest that cyclists in any market where this occurs contact the
District Attorneys in the market area. It seems to me that what these DJs are dong is soliciting
homicide which opens them and their employers to civil and criminal liability. This would
explain their prompt corrective measures regarding previous incidents.

> >From: "B. Lafferty"
>
> > Careful, Bill. You're beginning to sound like Tom K. on a rant. That old liberal organization,
> > the ACLU, supports all those things you claim liberals oppose.
>
> Brian, That's why I said I need to come up with a new term. An awful lot
of
> those who claim to be "liberal" aren't even close. They should be called something else so that
> decent open minded people don't get lumped in with
them.
> "Neo-Con" or "Neandra-Con" are perfect terms that just seem to have the
correct
> flavor for the wacko right. Bill C

Agreed. The dangerous ones are the ideologues of left, right or whatever. Perhaps that's what I am,
a political Whatever.

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >From: "B. Lafferty"
> >
> > > Careful, Bill. You're beginning to sound like Tom K. on a rant. That old liberal organization,
> > > the ACLU, supports all those things you claim liberals oppose.
> >
> > Brian, That's why I said I need to come up with a new term. An awful
lot
> of
> > those who claim to be "liberal" aren't even close. They should be
called
> > something else so that decent open minded people don't get lumped in
with
> them.
> > "Neo-Con" or "Neandra-Con" are perfect terms that just seem to have the
> correct
> > flavor for the wacko right. Bill C
>
> Agreed. The dangerous ones are the ideologues of left, right or whatever. Perhaps that's what I
> am, a political Whatever.

Politically agnostic is how I think if it, but I am not in to inventing language for others. The
whole "label" thing is really a way to insult people or to build coalitions. If you are not trying
to do either, why not just speak about the topic? That has always served me well.

FWIW, it sounds like Bill is being a bit hypocritical with his "labels". Creating labels IS a
feature of an extremist, so perhaps you should give that some thought.

While not nearly as bas, we've had the local rock station encourage driver negativity towards
cyclists here on Cape Cod. The call in hour is supposed to be unbiased and uncensored, but when a
local shop owner (heavily dependent on cycling tourism) objected to another callers opinion of
cyclists he was ridiculed and insulted by the DJ. Subsequent letters to the station by several
people were ignored.

I think this type of bashing is going to continue and as a whole its important to make our
voices heard.

CH