OT: coffee freaks

Slack

Guest
I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
fresh or store bought)?

1. Cool dry place
2. Freezer
3. Fridge
_____
Slack

Slack wrote:
> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground
> (either fresh or store bought)?
>
> 1. Cool dry place
> 2. Freezer
> 3. Fridge

STORE BOUGHT?!? You /disgust/ us.

<eg>

I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a time (the
night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).

Bill "now if I could just get up before 7:30" S.

Sorni wrote:
> Slack wrote:
>> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground
>> (either fresh or store bought)?
>>
>> 1. Cool dry place
>> 2. Freezer
>> 3. Fridge

> STORE BOUGHT?!? You /disgust/ us.
>
> <eg>
>
> I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a
> time (the night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).
>
> Bill "now if I could just get up before 7:30" S.

where's Gary when you need him?

small change wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
> > Slack wrote:
> >> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground
> >> (either fresh or store bought)?
> >>
> >> 1. Cool dry place
> >> 2. Freezer
> >> 3. Fridge

> > STORE BOUGHT?!? You /disgust/ us.
> >
> > <eg>
> >
> > I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a
> > time (the night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).
> >
> > Bill "now if I could just get up before 7:30" S.

> where's Gary when you need him?

Oh, he'll show his mug eventually.

JD

Sorni wrote:
> Slack wrote:
>
>>I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground
>>(either fresh or store bought)?
>>
>>1. Cool dry place
>>2. Freezer
>>3. Fridge

> STORE BOUGHT?!? You /disgust/ us.
>
> <eg>
>
> I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a time (the
> night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).

You grind the night before? How gauche. It's been shown that ground
coffee goes stale within the hour.

> Bill "now if I could just get up before 7:30" S.

I ended up having to freakin' work today even though this was date
weekend with Kimberly, first time I've been up before 8am in months.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> Sorni wrote:

>> I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a
>> time (the night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).

> You grind the night before? How gauche. It's been shown that ground
> coffee goes stale within the hour.

I'll take strong, hot and ready NOW over a little staleness any day. (Same
goes for...um, never mind.)

Sorni wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>Sorni wrote:

>>>I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a
>>>time (the night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).

>>You grind the night before? How gauche. It's been shown that ground
>>coffee goes stale within the hour.

> I'll take strong, hot and ready NOW over a little staleness any day. (Same
> goes for...um, never mind.)

I grind in the morning for freshness (and lack of planning). I keep
beans at room temp for a week or so because I can't taste the difference
and would rather have the freezer space.

Matt

MattB wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>
>> G.T. wrote:

>>> You grind the night before? How gauche. It's been shown that ground
>>> coffee goes stale within the hour.

>> I'll take strong, hot and ready NOW over a little staleness any day.
>> (Same goes for...um, never mind.)

> I grind in the morning for freshness (and lack of planning). I keep
> beans at room temp for a week or so because I can't taste the difference
> and would rather have the freezer space.

Like Penny said, "where's Gary when you need him?". I've been wondering
about this for awhile. Unfortunately I forgot to ask him when we rode
last year.

Greg

--

G.T. wrote:
> Like Penny said, "where's Gary when you need him?". I've been
> wondering about this for awhile. Unfortunately I forgot to ask him
> when we rode last year.
>
> Greg

you could head on over to alt.coffee, I suppose.

Next to the milk coffee at 315 am and work 7 am. So after 4 cups by the
time I ride to work I'm all ****** out. When I started work at 5 am I
had to run to restroom after I unlocked the rear door. Got lucky
Filene's to Macy's. Isn't any better coffee then fresh home brewed can
say that about beer too but a longer wait.

"Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> wrote in message
> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
> fresh or store bought)?
>
> 1. Cool dry place
> 2. Freezer
> 3. Fridge
> _____
> Slack

According to Alton Brown of the Good Eats tv show, coffee should never be
stored in the freezer. The constant temp change from taking it in and out
causes condensation which accelerates flavor loss.

We keep our in a jar at rom temp and it seems to hold up just fine.

Steve

> Slack wrote:
> > I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground
> > (either fresh or store bought)?
> >
> > 1. Cool dry place
> > 2. Freezer
> > 3. Fridge

> STORE BOUGHT?!? You /disgust/ us.
>
> <eg>
>
> I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a time

(the
> night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).
>
> Bill "now if I could just get up before 7:30" S.

Ditto. We've been working on a large bag of Kona coffee beans.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> small change wrote:
>> Sorni wrote:

>> > STORE BOUGHT?!? You /disgust/ us.
>> >
>> > <eg>
>> >
>> > I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a
>> > time (the night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).
>> >
>> > Bill "now if I could just get up before 7:30" S.

>> where's Gary when you need him?

> Oh, he'll show his mug eventually.
>
> JD

you can't make me, you can't make me.....

Gary

"SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> wrote in message
>> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
>> fresh or store bought)?
>>
>> 1. Cool dry place
>> 2. Freezer
>> 3. Fridge
>> _____
>> Slack

> According to Alton Brown of the Good Eats tv show, coffee should never be
> stored in the freezer. The constant temp change from taking it in and out
> causes condensation which accelerates flavor loss.
>
> We keep our in a jar at rom temp and it seems to hold up just fine.
>
> Steve

That's just ********. If you have the palette you can definately taste and
see a difference (in the amount of crema on the surface of the brew,
assuming you're brewing correctly, see alt.coffee) between coffee that's
kept in the freezer and coffee that sits out in room temperature. (this is
assuming you're putting fresh roasted coffee in the freezer as store bought
beans are already degassed-staled to a point of no return) I do suppose if
you live in a humid enviroment and let the frozen beens sit for more than 10
minutes before refreezing you might get detrimental side effects but the
lack of outgassing of the flavor constituents when frozen outweighs the
effect of staling in room temperature.

Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks and
store bought is good for the flower pot. Even green coffee beans
(unroasted) only last a couple of years.

and none of this makes any difference if you creme and sugar your coffee or
have never had fresh roasted Kona brewed in a vacuum brewer......but like
anything there are those that would disagree with my taste buds!

damn, I said you couldn't make me do this....

Gary

GeeDubb wrote:

> That's just ********. If you have the palette you can definately taste
> and see a difference (in the amount of crema on the surface of the brew,
> assuming you're brewing correctly, see alt.coffee) between coffee that's
> kept in the freezer and coffee that sits out in room temperature. (this
> is assuming you're putting fresh roasted coffee in the freezer as store
> bought beans are already degassed-staled to a point of no return) I do
> suppose if you live in a humid enviroment and let the frozen beens sit
> for more than 10 minutes before refreezing you might get detrimental
> side effects but the lack of outgassing of the flavor constituents when
> frozen outweighs the effect of staling in room temperature.
>
> Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks
> and store bought is good for the flower pot. Even green coffee beans
> (unroasted) only last a couple of years.
>
> and none of this makes any difference if you creme and sugar your coffee
> or have never had fresh roasted Kona brewed in a vacuum brewer......but
> like anything there are those that would disagree with my taste buds!
>
> damn, I said you couldn't make me do this....
>
> Gary

.... before it was just weird, now you are scaring me :)

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks and
> store bought is good for the flower pot.

We toss our used coffee grinds into the composter. So eventually it will
wind up in our garden...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

GeeDubb wrote:

I have some four year old bags of Starblechs in my freezer. When
someone comes over to my house and asks for coffee, I give them
directions to the nearest Dunkin Donuts.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>
> I have some four year old bags of Starblechs in my freezer. When
> someone comes over to my house and asks for coffee, I give them
> directions to the nearest Dunkin Donuts.

you're the guy who has Pepsi for breakfast, right?

SuperPoo wrote:
> "Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> wrote in message
>
>>I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
>>fresh or store bought)?
>>
>>1. Cool dry place
>>2. Freezer
>>3. Fridge
>>_____
>>Slack

> According to Alton Brown of the Good Eats tv show, coffee should never be
> stored in the freezer. The constant temp change from taking it in and out
> causes condensation which accelerates flavor loss.
>
> We keep our in a jar at rom temp and it seems to hold up just fine.

I've heard that too, but in the time it takes to get three scoops into
the press, it's not going to get much moisture (dry climate here
though), and the temperature isn't going to change much at all in 30
seconds. I don't notice any difference in quality from the bottom of
one bag, that's been in and out of the freezer 20 times, vs the new bag
(like I opened this morning). I'll stick with what works.

Shawn

Carla A-G wrote:
> "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks and
>>store bought is good for the flower pot.

> We toss our used coffee grinds into the composter. So eventually it will
> wind up in our garden...
>
> - CA-G

We did that for a long time, but the composter was half coffee, and I
was a little worried about my tulips getting too wired.
;-)

Shawn