OT: coffee freaks

GeeDubb wrote:

> "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

>> "Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground
>>> (either fresh or store bought)?
>>>
>>> 1. Cool dry place
>>> 2. Freezer
>>> 3. Fridge
>>> _____
>>> Slack

>> According to Alton Brown of the Good Eats tv show, coffee should never
>> be stored in the freezer. The constant temp change from taking it in
>> and out causes condensation which accelerates flavor loss.
>>
>> We keep our in a jar at rom temp and it seems to hold up just fine.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> That's just ********. If you have the palette you can definately taste
> and see a difference (in the amount of crema on the surface of the brew,
> assuming you're brewing correctly, see alt.coffee) between coffee that's
> kept in the freezer and coffee that sits out in room temperature. (this
> is assuming you're putting fresh roasted coffee in the freezer as store
> bought beans are already degassed-staled to a point of no return) I do
> suppose if you live in a humid enviroment and let the frozen beens sit
> for more than 10 minutes before refreezing you might get detrimental
> side effects but the lack of outgassing of the flavor constituents when
> frozen outweighs the effect of staling in room temperature.
>
> Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks
> and store bought is good for the flower pot. Even green coffee beans
> (unroasted) only last a couple of years.
>
> and none of this makes any difference if you creme and sugar your coffee
> or have never had fresh roasted Kona brewed in a vacuum brewer......but
> like anything there are those that would disagree with my taste buds!
>
> damn, I said you couldn't make me do this....

You'd think it was chocolate, the way he talks.

Shawn

GeeDubb wrote:

> That's just ********. If you have the palette you can definately taste
> and see a difference (in the amount of crema on the surface of the brew,
> assuming you're brewing correctly, see alt.coffee) between coffee that's
> kept in the freezer and coffee that sits out in room temperature. (this
> is assuming you're putting fresh roasted coffee in the freezer as store
> bought beans are already degassed-staled to a point of no return) I do
> suppose if you live in a humid enviroment and let the frozen beens sit
> for more than 10 minutes before refreezing you might get detrimental
> side effects but the lack of outgassing of the flavor constituents when
> frozen outweighs the effect of staling in room temperature.
>
> Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks
> and store bought is good for the flower pot. Even green coffee beans
> (unroasted) only last a couple of years.
>
> and none of this makes any difference if you creme and sugar your coffee
> or have never had fresh roasted Kona brewed in a vacuum brewer......but
> like anything there are those that would disagree with my taste buds!
>
> damn, I said you couldn't make me do this....

Cool, we got him started.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>>

>> That's just ********. If you have the palette you can definately
>> taste and see a difference (in the amount of crema on the surface of
>> the brew, assuming you're brewing correctly, see alt.coffee) between
>> coffee that's kept in the freezer and coffee that sits out in room
>> temperature. (this is assuming you're putting fresh roasted coffee
>> in the freezer as store bought beans are already degassed-staled to
>> a point of no return) I do suppose if you live in a humid
>> enviroment and let the frozen beens sit for more than 10 minutes
>> before refreezing you might get detrimental side effects but the
>> lack of outgassing of the flavor constituents when frozen outweighs
>> the effect of staling in room temperature. Ground coffee stales in
>> minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks
>> and store bought is good for the flower pot. Even green coffee beans
>> (unroasted) only last a couple of years.
>>
>> and none of this makes any difference if you creme and sugar your
>> coffee or have never had fresh roasted Kona brewed in a vacuum
>> brewer......but like anything there are those that would disagree
>> with my taste buds! damn, I said you couldn't make me do this....
>>

> Cool, we got him started.

this thread is useless without pictures...
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/penny/biking/amb05/IMG_3008w.jpg

small change wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> GeeDubb wrote:
>>
>> I have some four year old bags of Starblechs in my freezer. When
>> someone comes over to my house and asks for coffee, I give them
>> directions to the nearest Dunkin Donuts.
>>

> you're the guy who has Pepsi for breakfast, right?

Pepsi? Eeewwwww!

Coca-Cola!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ... before it was just weird, now you are scaring me :)
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
>
> Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

you must have looked at that photo Penny posted a link to........

Gary

"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Slack" <ack@eat_this.org> wrote in message
>>> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
>>> fresh or store bought)?
>>>
>>> 1. Cool dry place
>>> 2. Freezer
>>> 3. Fridge
>>> _____
>>> Slack

>> According to Alton Brown of the Good Eats tv show, coffee should never be
>> stored in the freezer. The constant temp change from taking it in and out
>> causes condensation which accelerates flavor loss.
>>
>> We keep our in a jar at rom temp and it seems to hold up just fine.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> That's just ********.

Comon, Alton is da man and besides condensation does happen immediately.
Which starts very small scale freezer burn when the coffee returns to the
cold.

>If you have the palette you can definately taste and see a difference (in
>the amount of crema on the surface of the brew, assuming you're brewing
>correctly, see alt.coffee) between coffee that's kept in the freezer and
>coffee that sits out in room temperature. (this is assuming you're putting
>fresh roasted coffee in the freezer as store bought beans are already
>degassed-staled to a point of no return) I do suppose if you live in a
>humid enviroment and let the frozen beens sit for more than 10 minutes
>before refreezing you might get detrimental side effects but the lack of
>outgassing of the flavor constituents when frozen outweighs the effect of
>staling in room temperature.
>
> Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks and
> store bought is good for the flower pot. Even green coffee beans
> (unroasted) only last a couple of years.
>
> and none of this makes any difference if you creme and sugar your coffee
> or have never had fresh roasted Kona brewed in a vacuum brewer......but
> like anything there are those that would disagree with my taste buds!

No creme or sugar here, I drink straight espresso only. I have never had
vacuum brewed Kona so what do I know?

> damn, I said you couldn't make me do this....

Glad to have stoked....

> Comon, Alton is da man and besides condensation does happen immediately.
> Which starts very small scale freezer burn when the coffee returns to the
> cold.

He's the biggest phony on the Food Network. However, I have picked up some
tips from him on occasion. He did a show about brewing and everything he did
was phony and wrong. The homebrewers were up in arms about that one...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:
> "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Comon, Alton is da man and besides condensation does happen immediately.
>>Which starts very small scale freezer burn when the coffee returns to the
>>cold.

> He's the biggest phony on the Food Network. However, I have picked up some
> tips from him on occasion. He did a show about brewing and everything he did
> was phony and wrong. The homebrewers were up in arms about that one...

I always brew at home-unless I go to Starbucks.
hehe

"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > He's the biggest phony on the Food Network. However, I have picked up

some
> > tips from him on occasion. He did a show about brewing and everything he

did
> > was phony and wrong. The homebrewers were up in arms about that one...

> I always brew at home-unless I go to Starbucks.
> hehe

No,no,no,no, not that kind of brewing...brewing...as in beer!

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Carla A-G wrote:
> > "SuperPoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> >>Comon, Alton is da man and besides condensation does happen immediately.
> >>Which starts very small scale freezer burn when the coffee returns to

the
> >>cold.

> > He's the biggest phony on the Food Network. However, I have picked up

some
> > tips from him on occasion. He did a show about brewing and everything he

did
> > was phony and wrong. The homebrewers were up in arms about that one...

> I always brew at home-unless I go to Starbucks.

That's definitely a microbrew I would never try. They'll destroy
microbreweries like they destroyed independent coffee houses.

Greg

Slack wrote:
> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
> fresh or store bought)?
>
> 1. Cool dry place
> 2. Freezer
> 3. Fridge
> _____
> Slack

Keep your espresso in #3, the fridge. Don't leave it out for too long,
as changes in temperature will hurt the flavor. (Why? I dunno. In the
freezer it's supposedly because of crystallization, maybe to a lesser
degree in fridge?) I'm sure you'll get lots of different ans....

Wait a sec...

Is this a trolling question?

Scott

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Slack wrote:
> > I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
> > fresh or store bought)?
> >
> > 1. Cool dry place
> > 2. Freezer
> > 3. Fridge
> > _____
> > Slack

> Keep your espresso in #3, the fridge. Don't leave it out for too long,
> as changes in temperature will hurt the flavor. (Why? I dunno. In the
> freezer it's supposedly because of crystallization, maybe to a lesser
> degree in fridge?) I'm sure you'll get lots of different ans....
>
> Wait a sec...
>
> Is this a trolling question?
>
> Scott

I have one of these to grind it for me
when I need it. I did NOT pay that
price though.

http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?item_id=412

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Slack wrote:
> > > I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground

(either
> > > fresh or store bought)?
> > >
> > > 1. Cool dry place
> > > 2. Freezer
> > > 3. Fridge
> > > _____
> > > Slack

> > Keep your espresso in #3, the fridge. Don't leave it out for too long,
> > as changes in temperature will hurt the flavor. (Why? I dunno. In the
> > freezer it's supposedly because of crystallization, maybe to a lesser
> > degree in fridge?) I'm sure you'll get lots of different ans....
> >
> > Wait a sec...
> >
> > Is this a trolling question?
> >
> > Scott
> >

> I have one of these to grind it for me
> when I need it. I did NOT pay that
> price though.

I had one of those, too. Donated it to an insane asylum.

At Gary's recommmendation I bought a roaster, a conical burr grinder, an
espresso machine, a couple of French presses, a vacuum brewer, and I buy
green beans every other week from Hollywood Coffee which I store in a
temperature and humidity controlled environment. I roast only the next days
cup, and grind it less than 1 minute before I brew my cup.

And my girlfriend can't tell the difference between it and a cuppa Folgers.

Greg

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:52:07 -0700, Scott Gordo <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>> I'm getting confused, which is best place to keep already ground (either
>> fresh or store bought)?
>>
>> 1. Cool dry place
>> 2. Freezer
>> 3. Fridge
>> _____
>> Slack

> Keep your espresso in #3, the fridge. Don't leave it out for too long,
> as changes in temperature will hurt the flavor. (Why? I dunno. In the
> freezer it's supposedly because of crystallization, maybe to a lesser
> degree in fridge?) I'm sure you'll get lots of different ans....
>
> Wait a sec...
>
> Is this a trolling question?
>
> Scott

Naw, it was a real question.
_____
Slack

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 07:58:06 -0700, GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ground coffee stales in minutes, whole beans stale in about two weeks
> and store bought is good for the flower pot. Even green coffee beans
> (unroasted) only last a couple of years.
>
> and none of this makes any difference if you creme and sugar your coffee
> or have never had fresh roasted Kona brewed in a vacuum brewer......but
> like anything there are those that would disagree with my taste buds!

Well, that settles it since I use massive sugar(splenda) and milk or 50/50.
But I still keep buying the Kona, even if it's $20 a lb!

> damn, I said you couldn't make me do this....

hehehehe... resistance is futile!

Craig Brossman wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>>
>> A WHOLE LOT OF CRAZY COFFEE TALK
>>

> ... before it was just weird, now you are scaring me :)

The man has an entire room of his house dedicated to coffee
paraphernalia. Williams Sonoma must use him as a reference for their
stores. It won't be long before he buys a roach coach to house a mobile
coffee asylum.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (I visited the Coca Cola museum once and spent two
hours in the tasting room) o-o-o-o

JD wrote:
> small change wrote:
> > Sorni wrote:

> > > STORE BOUGHT?!? You /disgust/ us.
> > >
> > > <eg>
> > >
> > > I keep my WHOLE BEAN coffee in the FREEZER, grinding it a pot at a
> > > time (the night before so it's ready at 6:45 AM).
> > >
> > > Bill "now if I could just get up before 7:30" S.

> > where's Gary when you need him?

> Oh, he'll show his mug eventually.
>
> JD

Undoubtedly. Seems like a regular joe, but easily steamed into a froth.

/s