OT: coffee freaks

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:13:04 -0700, MattB <[email protected]> wrote:

> Scott Gordo wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> Looks like everyone's brains have been instantly freeze dried by this
>>> topic.
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (about to hit the ignore button) o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws

>> Ahhh, put a cappuccino on it, Mr. Coffee! /s
>>

> That's it. I'm switching to tea.

How un-american of you!

You need to relax and listen to Bach's Coffee Cantana
http://audiolunchbox.com/album?a=24043
_____
Slack

"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>Salida is still a Starbuck's free zone.
> Shawn

You're so lucky. I hate that place.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:
> "Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Salida is still a Starbuck's free zone.
>> Shawn

> You're so lucky. I hate that place.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

It won't be long Shawn. We have very good coffee shops here as well and
last year Starbucks joined the fray. In a tourist town like this, the
sheep flock to something that is familiar.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Craig Brossman wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
>
>> "Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Salida is still a Starbuck's free zone.
>>> Shawn

>> You're so lucky. I hate that place.
>>
>> - CA-G
>>
>> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>

> It won't be long Shawn. We have very good coffee shops here as well and
> last year Starbucks joined the fray. In a tourist town like this, the
> sheep flock to something that is familiar.

We're also holding out over here. My good friends run the main coffee
shop here, The Bean (formerly a Steaming Bean franchises). It's
conveniently located right next to my office too!
Our community has successfully (so far) avoided a Super WalMart and now
there's city ordinances on the books to block "big box" retailers. Maybe
we can do something about national chain coffee shops too.

Craig, do you know what the impact has been on the smaller coffee shops?
How long has Starbucks been there?

Matt

Scott Gordo wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>Scott Gordo wrote:

>>>Ahhh, put a cappuccino on it, Mr. Coffee!
>>>
>>>/s
>>>

>>That's it. I'm switching to tea.

> (In the interest of keeping up the appearances of being one of the more
> 'family-oriented' alt groups, I'll refrain from any 'tea bagging'
> references. Instead, I'll use something less offensive.)
>
> Uh, tea? I'm, uh, GREEN with envy! Bwahahahahaha!
>
> /s
>
> "Thanks folks. I'll be here all weak."

All weak? Perhaps you should brew up another pot.

Shawn

MattB wrote:
> Craig, do you know what the impact has been on the smaller coffee shops?
> How long has Starbucks been there?
>
> Matt

The coffee shop I frequent, also a Steaming Bean, has not been impacted
at all as far as I can tell. The 'Bean has always been a locals place
and is further from the train station.

I don't know how it has impacted Durango Coffee, which is only 1/2 a
block from Startbucks. They tended to have much more tourist traffic,
but they also sell higher end kitchen supplies and equipment.

There was a lot of animosity when Starbucks arrived. Broken windows,
graffiti, and similar things. And yet we've had a Subway downtown for at
least 5 years, but nobody seems to go there. Locals got real protective
when it came to their coffee.

Now that I think about it, we have 2 new local coffee shops since then,
and one, Durango Joe's, has opened several satellite shops around town.
Maybe Starbucks has had a positive impact on the coffee business for
local shops?

--

Craig Brossman wrote:
> Carla A-G wrote:
>
>> "Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Salida is still a Starbuck's free zone.
>>> Shawn

>> You're so lucky. I hate that place.
>>
>> - CA-G
>>
>> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
>>

> It won't be long Shawn. We have very good coffee shops here as well and
> last year Starbucks joined the fray. In a tourist town like this, the
> sheep flock to something that is familiar.

Salida is currently a wannabe tourist town (church youth groups from OK
and TX are hardly big spending tourists), so maybe we're good for a few
more years.

Shawn

G.T. wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> >

> > That's what you get for being in a group that's Chock full O' Nuts.
> >

> As a neutral non-punning party I hereby declare that pun the winner in
> the coffee freaks thread.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "All my time I spent in heaven
> Revelries of dance and wine
> Waking to the sound of laughter
> Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

With all due respect and appreciation, this pun thread is really JD's
fault. That 'mug' reference is one of the best deadpans I've understood
in this NG.
His post deserves the dubious distinction. It really perked up my day.

/s

Kona get an amen?

The homebrewers were up in arms about that one...

Nothing worse than that..... :)