OT computer stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penny S.

ok, my version 3 of dreamweaver went spaziod on me today and won't cooperate, XP home is doing a
major sieze up whenever I try and do anything in it. Anyone know anything about this? I did a full
uninstall including cleaning the registry of it, and then a reinstall, but that didn't seem to help
It was working before, no system changes... I was urgently needing to update a page on my site so I
went for my old copy of Hippie edit ( circa '98) and boy that was a mistake. Does XP not like older
stuff? ASnd yes I know I can hand code my page and ftp it if I'm desperate.

thanks

Penny

Penny S. thoughtfully penned:
> ok, my version 3 of dreamweaver went spaziod on me today and won't cooperate, XP home is doing a
> major sieze up whenever I try and do anything in it. Anyone know anything about this? I did a full
> uninstall including cleaning the registry of it, and then a reinstall, but that didn't seem to
> help It was working before, no system changes... I was urgently needing to update a page on my
> site so I went for my old copy of Hippie edit ( circa '98) and boy that was a mistake. Does XP not
> like older stuff? ASnd yes I know I can hand code my page and ftp it if I'm desperate.
>
> thanks
>
> Penny

I mean, Dreamweaver is the only program that's seizing, XP is fine otherwise.

Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

> ASnd yes I know I can hand code my page and ftp it if I'm desperate.
>

You mean there are other ways? ;-)

> thanks

Your very welcome, but i didn't really help any.

But seriously, the usual suspects... did you install any new hardware/software at around the time
this problem began? Have you tried closing out other running programs that may be "sucking
resources"? Sometimes, when one program crashes, it can affect other running programs, even though
there is nothing wrong with the other programs. windows itself can do this sometimes.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

"Penny S." <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...

> I mean, Dreamweaver is the only program that's seizing, XP is fine otherwise.
>

I assume you have tried reinstalling Dreamweaver as well. If that did not work, try reinstalling
Dreamweaver to a different location.

-Dave

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> ok, my version 3 of dreamweaver went spaziod on me today and won't cooperate, XP home is doing a
> major sieze up whenever I try and do anything in it. Anyone know anything about this? I did a full
> uninstall including cleaning the registry of it, and then a reinstall, but that didn't seem to
> help It was working before, no system changes... I was urgently needing to update a page on my
> site so I went for my old copy of Hippie edit ( circa '98) and boy that was a mistake. Does XP not
> like older stuff? ASnd yes I know I can hand code my page and ftp it if I'm desperate.
>
> thanks
>
> Penny

I like Dreamweaver a *lot* but it is quite buggy. It's not that there are a lot of bugs but the ones
that exist really seem to screw up the system. I've run it under Win98 and Win2000; the OS does not
seem to make a difference.

I would:

1) check for viruses
2) Update your Windows XP (easy to do at Microsoft website)
3) check for viruses
4) Update Dreamweaver
5) check for viruses
6) if you have money :) -- update your PC: Win2000, 512mb RAM, PIV - 2gHz if not --- type faster?

Good luck.

DJ

You may also wish to see if XP had just completed an update of it's own prior to the lock-ups...
There is one that keeps causing my NIC to become inop so I have to roll that driver back each time..
Pretty stupid if you ask me, but everything else works like it should so it's only a small
inconvenience that doesn't come along often...

I keep thinking that by the time they get software figured out so that it works right, I'll be worm
food.. :)

Danny

"djarvinen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > ok, my version 3 of dreamweaver went spaziod on me today and won't cooperate, XP home is doing a
> > major sieze up whenever I try and do
anything
> > in it. Anyone know anything about this? I did a full uninstall
including
> > cleaning the registry of it, and then a reinstall, but that didn't seem
to
> > help It was working before, no system changes... I was urgently needing
to
> > update a page on my site so I went for my old copy of Hippie edit (
circa
> > '98) and boy that was a mistake. Does XP not like older stuff? ASnd yes
I
> > know I can hand code my page and ftp it if I'm desperate.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Penny
>
> I like Dreamweaver a *lot* but it is quite buggy. It's not that there are a lot of bugs but the
> ones that exist really seem to screw up the system. I've run it under Win98 and Win2000; the OS
> does not seem to make a difference.
>
> I would:
>
> 1) check for viruses
> 2) Update your Windows XP (easy to do at Microsoft website)
> 3) check for viruses
> 4) Update Dreamweaver
> 5) check for viruses
> 6) if you have money :) -- update your PC: Win2000, 512mb RAM, PIV - 2gHz if not --- type faster?
>
> Good luck.
>
> DJ

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ok, my version 3 of dreamweaver went spaziod on me today and won't

Get Dreamweaver MX...

BTW, I hear filesharing is a good thing.

If you want to go straight and true, no frills, look up "Arachnophilia" on the net. Stupendous
find/replace features and color-coded HTML. It's careware, too.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> major sieze up whenever I try and do
anything
> in it. Anyone know anything about this? I did a full uninstall including cleaning the registry of
> it, and then a reinstall, but that didn't seem to help It was working before, no system changes...
> I was urgently needing
to
> update a page on my site so I went for my old copy of Hippie edit ( circa '98) and boy that was a
> mistake. Does XP not like older stuff? ASnd yes I know I can hand code my page and ftp it if I'm
> desperate.
>
> thanks
>
> Penny
>

I'd check the manufacturer's web site and see if there's any known issues and/or patches available.
Maybe this is common. If it's a legal copy you could even contact their tech support.

In a jam you can also use Word to edit/save HTML in a GUI fashion, but it adds a ton of extra ****
to your pages you'll want to clean up later.

Matt (never used Dreamweaver)

Status
Not open for further replies.