ot cost of pizza slice

ilaboo

Guest
need a little help

can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?

i need the date, the community and the cost
any help really is appreciated.

here in da Bronx it is now $2.50 a slice
doing a study of the cost of a slice of pizza across the country--ultimate
result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska explaining to the
people what the cost of ethanol from corn really means to the people in the
cities-- also maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)

yes i know there are a lot of other parameters i can use but this to me is
the simplest--and i think most people can relate to

tia

peter

On Dec 19, 6:00 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> need a little help
>
> can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?
>
> i need the date, the community and the cost
> any help really is appreciated.
>
> here in da Bronx it is now $2.50 a slice
> doing a study of the cost of a slice of pizza across the country--ultimate
> result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
> write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska explaining to the
> people what the cost of ethanol from corn really means to the people in the
> cities-- also maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
> the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
> engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)
>
> yes i know there are a lot of other parameters i can use but this to me is
> the simplest--and i think most people can relate to
>
> tia
>
> peter

You're going to need a LOT of data, and in time-series, to make it
even remotely meaningful.

Good luck!

Neil
(haven't bought a slice in a looooooong time)

"ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote: (clip) ultimate
> result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
> write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do they make pizza with corn meal in da Bronx? Well, I've got news for
you--they don't do it that way anywhere else. Oh, and when you write the
letter, you will gain credibility if you capitalize "Iowa" and "Nebraska."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(clip) o maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.) (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sure! The farmers are going to spend big bucks to replace their engines,
and run them on a higher priced fuel, because they don't want to see the
price of corn go up. BTW, do you know that farmers don't make ethanol?
They would have to buy it from someone who makes it from their corn, at an
all-time high price.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:00:22 GMT, "ilaboo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>need a little help
>
>can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?
>
>i need the date, the community and the cost
>any help really is appreciated.
>
>here in da Bronx it is now $2.50 a slice
>doing a study of the cost of a slice of pizza across the country--ultimate
>result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
>write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska explaining to the
>people what the cost of ethanol from corn really means to the people in the
>cities-- also maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
>the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
>engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)
>
>yes i know there are a lot of other parameters i can use but this to me is
>the simplest--and i think most people can relate to
>

>tia
>
>peter

There was an article right here in Lincoln, Nebraska about where to
eat "cheap". Looks like a slice of Pizza in "Da Bronx" is CHEAPER
than right here in "Corn Country".......check out the article....

http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/12/18/living/402/doc47670d709cefb976589432.txt

ilaboo wrote:
> need a little help
>
> can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?

In the San Francisco Bay Area it's $2-3 depending on the restaurant.
Costco charges $2 for a large slice, while other places are around
$2.50-3 for a smaller (sometimes better) slice. Blondie's in San
Francisco can be good or bad depending on how long the pizza has been
sitting around, and is $3.50 for a slice and a soda.

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
> Blondie's in San
> Francisco can be good or bad depending on how long the pizza has been
> sitting around, and is $3.50 for a slice and a soda.

Just to skew the data, Blondie's will give you a free slice and a coke
on your birthday. "Thank you for existing"

On Dec 19, 9:00 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> need a little help
>
> can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?
>
> i need the date, the community and the cost
> any help really is appreciated.
>
> here in da Bronx it is now $2.50 a slice
> doing a study of the cost of a slice of pizza across the country--ultimate
> result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
> write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska explaining to the
> people what the cost of ethanol from corn really means to the people in the
> cities-- also maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
> the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
> engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)
>
> yes i know there are a lot of other parameters i can use but this to me is
> the simplest--and i think most people can relate to
>
> tia
>
> peter

$cdn 2.00

On Dec 19, 1:13 pm, John Kane <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 9:00 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > need a little help

> > can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?

> > i need the date, the community and the cost
> > any help really is appreciated.

> > here in da Bronx it is now $2.50 a slice
> > doing a study of the cost of a slice of pizza across the country--ultimate
> > result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
> > write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska explaining to the
> > people what the cost of ethanol from corn really means to the people in the
> > cities-- also maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
> > the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
> > engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)

> > yes i know there are a lot of other parameters i can use but this to me is
> > the simplest--and i think most people can relate to

> > tia

> > peter

> $cdn 2.00

About $17 USD then?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> writes:

> BTW, do you know that farmers don't make ethanol?

Actually, I've met a few who do.

And they make quite righteous stuff, too.

Apparently a lot of the trick is knowing when
to get rid of the heads & tails, which contain fusel
oils and methanol. Multiple charcoal filterings helps,
too, if you've got the wherewithal.

Back in the day in British Columbia, farmers could
get gasoline delivered, if they had their own tank,
to fill their farm machinery. The gas was dyed
purple to indicate the lack of road taxes. If
the dyed gas was used in a road vehicle it would
leave a purple blush around the carburetor (back
when there were carburetors.) If caught by the
police with that purple stain, you could be in
for it.

If the farmer was in good standing with the
gas delivery guy, the gas delivery guy would
give the farmer the purple dye pellets to drop
into his gasoline tank himself. Maybe /after/
the farmer filled up his p/u truck.
Don't ask; don't tell.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

ilaboo aka Peter Who? wrote:
> need a little help
>
> can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?
>
> i need the date, the community and the cost
> any help really is appreciated.
>
> here in da Bronx it is now $2.50 a slice
> doing a study of the cost of a slice of pizza across the country--ultimate
> result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
> write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska explaining to the
> people what the cost of ethanol from corn really means to the people in the
> cities-- also maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
> the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
> engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)...

Ever priced a diesel engine? Not something to be casually tossed out.

By the way, any land that is good for growing corn is also good for
growing soybeans. Soybeans can be used to produce biodiesel fuel,
negating the need to dispose of a perfectly good engine. Besides, the
higher torque characteristics at lower engine speed of the diesel engine
compared to the Otto cycle engine make the former more favorable for
powering agricultural equipment.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:

> By the way, any land that is good for growing corn is also good for
> growing soybeans.

It's also good for growing food so that people
can ... you know... survive.

I bet the current incarnation of the likes of Monsanto
would love to corner (i.e: monopolize) the biofuel
production market.

cheers, & Soylent Green is indeed "people",
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

> Do they make pizza with corn meal in da Bronx? Well, I've
> got news for you--they don't do it that way anywhere else.

=v= I would guess it has more to do with corn syrup in the
crust and sauce. Also, cornmeal pizza *does* exist, though
I suspect that's not what's under discussion here.
<_Jym_>

ilaoo asks - can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your
community?

...here in Michigan, the second most obese state in the country, SLICE
is a verb!

...I can get a medium size "pizza" from the Little Caesars chain for
$5.00...so I guess my "slice" costs more than yours...but I blame that
on the Chinese...

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:21:06 -0800 (PST), Jym Dyer <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Do they make pizza with corn meal in da Bronx? Well, I've
>> got news for you--they don't do it that way anywhere else.

>=v= I would guess it has more to do with corn syrup in the
>crust and sauce. Also, cornmeal pizza *does* exist, though
>I suspect that's not what's under discussion here.

Most places prep pizzas on a sprinkling of cornmeal before it goes
into the oven. A bit of cornmeal adheres to the wheat crust and helps
keep it from sticking to the oven bottom or pan.

Burning food to feed cars is a death sentence for the world's
starving before reducing a belt notch for the world's mass consumers.

Pizza slices here run from 99 cents to ~$3.50 depending on where you
go. I like the stuff down ~14th @ Main where the house special is
always an interesting combination for a buck-fifty.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Michael Baldwin) writes:
> ilaoo asks - can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your
> community?
>
> ..here in Michigan, the second most obese state in the country, SLICE
> is a verb!
>
> ..I can get a medium size "pizza" from the Little Caesars chain for
> $5.00..

Those "hot 'n readies" aren't real pizzas.
I dunno what they are, but they surely
don't qualify as anything desirable.

> so I guess my "slice" costs more than yours...but I blame that
> on the Chinese...

I put the blame on the love of Mammon.

I can get two slices of not-too-bad-pie + a can
o' Coke for $ 2.99 Cdn. Simon knows me, so I
also get a "Hi, how'ya doin'?" That's priceless.

Blaming people whom one doesn't even know is too easy.

I can't blame Simon for: "I Can't Believe It's Not
Polish" Sausage.

Actually that probably wouldn't go too bad on a pie.
'Specially w/ double cheese, and the upper layer scorched.
And a bunch of extra garlic. And green olive slices.
And the right kind of mushrooms.

cheers,
Tom

--

Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:04:43 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> writes:

>> BTW, do you know that farmers don't make ethanol?

>Actually, I've met a few who do.
>
>And they make quite righteous stuff, too.
>
>Apparently a lot of the trick is knowing when
>to get rid of the heads & tails, which contain fusel
>oils and methanol. Multiple charcoal filterings helps,
>too, if you've got the wherewithal.
>
>Back in the day in British Columbia, farmers could
>get gasoline delivered, if they had their own tank,
>to fill their farm machinery. The gas was dyed
>purple to indicate the lack of road taxes. If
>the dyed gas was used in a road vehicle it would
>leave a purple blush around the carburetor (back
>when there were carburetors.) If caught by the
>police with that purple stain, you could be in
>for it.
>
>If the farmer was in good standing with the
>gas delivery guy, the gas delivery guy would
>give the farmer the purple dye pellets to drop
>into his gasoline tank himself. Maybe /after/
>the farmer filled up his p/u truck.
>Don't ask; don't tell.
>

>cheers,
> Tom

Great! Having learned something new today, I can go back to work.

On Dec 19, 8:37 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 1:13 pm, John Kane <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 19, 9:00 am, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > need a little help

> > > can you send me the cost of a slice of pizza in your community?

> > > i need the date, the community and the cost
> > > any help really is appreciated.

> > > here in da Bronx it is now $2.50 a slice
> > > doing a study of the cost of a slice of pizza across the country--ultimate
> > > result will be correlating the cost with a bushel of corn--I want to then
> > > write a letter to all the newspapers in iowa and nebraska explaining to the
> > > people what the cost of ethanol from corn really means to the people in the
> > > cities-- also maybe encourage them to use the ethanol they produce to run
> > > the tractors they use--they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
> > > engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)

> > > yes i know there are a lot of other parameters i can use but this to me is
> > > the simplest--and i think most people can relate to

> > > tia

> > > peter

> > $cdn 2.00

> About $17 USD then?

1.99 USD . Canadian dollar seems to have slipped below parity again.
I wonder what this is doing the the Buffalo malls>

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

"ilaboo" <I think the simplest parameter would be the cost of milk. When the
corn-into-fuel foolishness started, everything to do with milk went up (such
as milk, butter, cream, half and half, etc). With pizza, you might have
different ingredients and toppings to consider. With milk, it's just the
cost of a gallon of milk.....

> Ever priced a diesel engine? Not something to be casually tossed out.
>
> By the way, any land that is good for growing corn is also good for
> growing soybeans. Soybeans can be used to produce biodiesel fuel, negating
> the need to dispose of a perfectly good engine. Besides, the higher torque
> characteristics at lower engine speed of the diesel engine compared to the
> Otto cycle engine make the former more favorable for powering agricultural
> equipment.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman -

a truck fueled with bio-diesel passed me the other day as I was riding my
bicycle. Suddenly, the air was filled with the smell of sauteed onions.....

> they can convert their diesls to run it ( remove the
> engine and replace it with a gasohol using one.)

more than likely their diesels will run on plant based fuels without
modification. I suspect that diesel tractors are common even in the
bronx as everything you've got came on a truck and those little bob-
tails just ain't as efficient as the big rig, so don't start thinking
that all the converting is somebody else's rat to kill. Diesel
engines were being run on straight peanut oil in the early 1900 by
Rudolf himself. Biodiesel is frequently made without any petroleum
products (although most US retailers are selling a product that is at
least 20% petrol based). The higher the vegetable oil content the
less foul the exhaust smells. This "vegetable" can be a wide variety
of seeds including corn. Non-edible rape seed is common in Germany,
sunflowers produce more oil per acre than either corn or soybeans.

But this isn't the only detail that seems to elude you. While a slice
of pizza maybe a ubiquitous standard of dining in the bronx,
throughout the rest of the US pizza is sold primarily as whole pies.
You may find a few establishments that offer a lunch special involving
a single slice in the larger metropolitan areas. But the coin of the
realm so to speak in Nebraska, Iowa and the rest of the grain belt
will be either made to order pies or all you can eat buffets. Yes
siree-bob them farm boys do like to eat, and a single slice ain't
worth climbing down outta that combine for.

Ummm, Grain Belt... don't mind if I do.