OT: Cyclist friendly B&B Somerset

gjt70

Guest
Dear All,

Although not a greater poster I have for some time been an avid lurker
in the group. I therefore hope that the following will not overly annoy
the spam police (It will be a one off)!

My wife and I have recently taken over a small B&B (1 double room, 1
twin room, and one family room (all en-suite)) in the Village of Pilton,
Somerset. Not really looking to increase business but it would be nice
to have some cyclists stay.

Pilton is a small village with the hills of the mendips directly north
(about 4 miles to the top of the Mendips) and the Somerset levels to the
West (as flat as a pancake). It is therefore great for cycling.

Happy to recommend routes from a few miles to 100+ miles (although my
experience is mainly on road). Happy to loan maps, secure undercover
bike storage, good selection of bike tools (though mainly shimano),
possible to borrow child seat (x2), tag along and possibly even our U+2.
If you have children then our children might even let them have a go
on their KMXs and on a Friday evening you would be welcome to join me
for the local clubs chaingang.

The B&B is Called 'The Long House', Pilton. Please email if interested
in staying or alternatively a quick internet search should find our
telephone number.

Best wishes,

Gordon

ps. The B&B is not available for the last week in June when one of our
neighbours likes to hold a gathering for young(ish) people on our doorstep!

gjt70 wrote:
> Happy to recommend routes from a few miles to 100+ miles (although my
> experience is mainly on road). Happy to loan maps, secure undercover
> bike storage, good selection of bike tools (though mainly shimano),
> possible to borrow child seat (x2), tag along and possibly even our
> U+2. If you have children then our children might even let them have
> a go on their KMXs and on a Friday evening you would be welcome to join me
> for the local clubs chaingang.

Wow! That's all a very good offer.

Glad you like it here.

gjt70 wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Although not a greater poster I have for some time been an avid lurker
> in the group. I therefore hope that the following will not overly
> annoy the spam police (It will be a one off)!
>
> My wife and I have recently taken over a small B&B (1 double room, 1
> twin room, and one family room (all en-suite)) in the Village of
> Pilton, Somerset. Not really looking to increase business but it
> would be nice to have some cyclists stay.
>
> Pilton is a small village with the hills of the mendips directly north
> (about 4 miles to the top of the Mendips) and the Somerset levels to
> the West (as flat as a pancake). It is therefore great for cycling.
>
> Happy to recommend routes from a few miles to 100+ miles (although my
> experience is mainly on road). Happy to loan maps, secure undercover
> bike storage, good selection of bike tools (though mainly shimano),
> possible to borrow child seat (x2), tag along and possibly even our
> U+2. If you have children then our children might even let them have
> a go on their KMXs and on a Friday evening you would be welcome to join me
> for the local clubs chaingang.
>
> The B&B is Called 'The Long House', Pilton. Please email if
> interested in staying or alternatively a quick internet search should find
> our
> telephone number.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Gordon
>

> ps. The B&B is not available for the last week in June when one of
> our neighbours likes to hold a gathering for young(ish) people on our
> doorstep!

Your insurers will cover you if you allow guests borrow cycles and stuff?
Who are you with?
We thought it would be a really good idea to have free bike hire etc for our
guests but our insurers said we couldn't do it. -well we could do it,but
they wouldn't cover us !!

Jan

> Your insurers will cover you if you allow guests borrow cycles and
> stuff? Who are you with?
> We thought it would be a really good idea to have free bike hire etc for
> our guests but our insurers said we couldn't do it. -well we could do
> it,but they wouldn't cover us !!
>
> Jan

I have not checked (but will tonight). However, I suspect that as in
your case our insurance would not cover it. Would really only be
concerned about the U+2 and it needs someone pretty keen to tow two
children any distance. My thought was to give people a chance to try
out things like the U+2 and a KMX rather than going particularly far
with them.

Bikes themselves are a bit different. Although I do have a hack bike I
would be happy for someone to take for a ride they would obviously have
to be approximately my height, build etc.

Gordon

gjt70 said the following on 31/07/2006 12:42:

> Pilton is a small village with the hills of the mendips directly north
> (about 4 miles to the top of the Mendips) and the Somerset levels to the
> West (as flat as a pancake).

Somerset Levels as flat as a pancake? Nah - I have to climb maybe 30ft
above sea level on my commute :)

> ps. The B&B is not available for the last week in June when one of our
> neighbours likes to hold a gathering for young(ish) people on our doorstep!

So you had a quiet time this year, then!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

> The B&B is Called 'The Long House', Pilton. Please email if
> interested in staying or alternatively a quick internet search should
> find our telephone number.

There's a thought.
Ride over from Cardiff and a leisurely stroll back on the Waverley or
Balmoral. Where's my diary.

Dave

Dave L wrote:

>>The B&B is Called 'The Long House', Pilton. Please email if
>>interested in staying or alternatively a quick internet search should
>>find our telephone number.
>>

> There's a thought.
> Ride over from Cardiff and a leisurely stroll back on the Waverley or
> Balmoral. Where's my diary.
>
> Dave

Dear Dave,

This could be quite a nice ride. You would presumably come across the
river via the cycle path by the old severn bridge (not a particularly
nice path). However, once you are the Bristol side the cycling around
bristol is ok. The shortest way would be straight through Bristol and
down the A37. However, if making a day of it (and happy with the extra
miles) then I would suggest heading west a bit towards Avon mouth
(taking the cycle path along the M5 bridge) and coming down via either
chew magna or if you like climbing then either take the B3134 by
burrington (lovely gorge to climb up and out of and fairly quiet) or
even chedder gorge (A bit still further South).

The bit from the Old severn Bridge onwards is probably between 60 and 70
miles (or about 50 by direct route). Which ever route you take would be
fairly hilly.

Gordon

gjt70 <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Dave L wrote:
>
>>>The B&B is Called 'The Long House', Pilton. Please email if
>>>interested in staying or alternatively a quick internet search should
>>>find our telephone number.
>>>

>> There's a thought.
>> Ride over from Cardiff and a leisurely stroll back on the Waverley or
>> Balmoral. Where's my diary.
>>
>> Dave

> Dear Dave,
>
> This could be quite a nice ride. You would presumably come across the
> river via the cycle path by the old severn bridge (not a particularly
> nice path). However, once you are the Bristol side the cycling around
> bristol is ok. The shortest way would be straight through Bristol and
> down the A37. However, if making a day of it (and happy with the extra
> miles) then I would suggest heading west a bit towards Avon mouth
> (taking the cycle path along the M5 bridge) and coming down via either
> chew magna or if you like climbing then either take the B3134 by
> burrington (lovely gorge to climb up and out of and fairly quiet) or
> even chedder gorge (A bit still further South).
>
> The bit from the Old severn Bridge onwards is probably between 60 and

70
> miles (or about 50 by direct route). Which ever route you take would

be
> fairly hilly.
>
> Gordon

I'm sure even with my advanced years that I could manage a small hill as
long as I have a tail wind and a team to pace me.
I've never turned right at the bridge only left and then back via
Gloucester - that's a pleasant ride except if you do something stupid
like ride on the A40/449 although it's the only time I've gone over
50mph. I didn't reset the computer for ages ;-)

Dave

Dave L wrote:
> gjt70 <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

>>>There's a thought.
>>>Ride over from Cardiff and a leisurely stroll back on the Waverley or
>>>Balmoral. Where's my diary.
>>>
>>>Dave

>>Dear Dave,
>>
>>This could be quite a nice ride. You would presumably come across the
>>river via the cycle path by the old severn bridge (not a particularly
>>nice path). However, once you are the Bristol side the cycling around
>>bristol is ok. The shortest way would be straight through Bristol and
>>down the A37. However, if making a day of it (and happy with the extra
>>miles) then I would suggest heading west a bit towards Avon mouth
>>(taking the cycle path along the M5 bridge) and coming down via either
>>chew magna or if you like climbing then either take the B3134 by
>>burrington (lovely gorge to climb up and out of and fairly quiet) or
>>even chedder gorge (A bit still further South).
>>
>>The bit from the Old severn Bridge onwards is probably between 60 and

> 70
>
>>miles (or about 50 by direct route). Which ever route you take would

> be
>
>>fairly hilly.
>>
>>Gordon
>>

> I'm sure even with my advanced years that I could manage a small hill as
> long as I have a tail wind and a team to pace me.
> I've never turned right at the bridge only left and then back via
> Gloucester - that's a pleasant ride except if you do something stupid
> like ride on the A40/449 although it's the only time I've gone over
> 50mph. I didn't reset the computer for ages ;-)
>
> Dave

Dear Dave,

If we day was right I would be happy to ride up to the bridge, meet you
there and we could ride back down together. Would give me a good days
cycling!

Gordon

> Somerset Levels as flat as a pancake? Nah - I have to climb maybe 30ft
> above sea level on my commute :)

Sorry! I forgot about the bridges!

>> ps. The B&B is not available for the last week in June when one of
>> our neighbours likes to hold a gathering for young(ish) people on our
>> doorstep!

> So you had a quiet time this year, then!

Having only been in the house since December we have no idea what next
June will be like. However, at the moment quiet is good!

Gordon

gjt70 said the following on 04/08/2006 09:25:

> Sorry! I forgot about the bridges!

You think you're joking! A girl who commutes to work by bike (from
Weston to Locking) proudly announced the other day that she managed to
make it over one of the bridges without getting off!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

gjt70 <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> If we day was right I would be happy to ride up to the bridge, meet
> you there and we could ride back down together. Would give me a good
> days cycling!
>
> Gordon

You might well be getting a call, but not for a few weeks, praps mid
September if I can get sometime off work.

Dave