OT: Data Mining RBT - need a great sound source for new noise-cancelling headphones

On 2008-03-02, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have just bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones, for the bus and
> train legs of my daily commute. I really need to muffle the sound of the
> chit chat, mostly on the bus, to preserve what is left of my sanity.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OMKR8E/ref=cm_rdp_product

It will cancel the rumbling of the bus and the train but unfortunately
you will hear most of the chit chat loud and clear.

It can only work out the antinoise based on being able to predict what
will come next. That's easy for the continuous hum of an engine, but not
possible for the gibbering sounds produced by the other passengers.

If the earpieces were quite thick and you could put the microphone and
speaker 4cm apart then you'd have 0.0001s in which to generate the
antinoise. That's easily enough time for a computer to work out the
antinoise in, but actually getting the speaker to respond that quickly
may be more of a problem. As far as I know the technology to do this
doesn't exist yet.

Jay Bollyn wrote:
> I have just bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones, for the bus and
> train legs of my daily commute. I really need to muffle the sound of the
> chit chat, mostly on the bus, to preserve what is left of my sanity.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OMKR8E/ref=cm_rdp_product
>
> Can anyone suggest a high quality sound source, to plug into this new toy?

This will help you deal with obnoxious fellow passengers:
<http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A67232.htm>.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> This will help you deal with obnoxious fellow passengers:
> <http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A67232.htm>.

I need one which will zap an suv pilot right through the driver's
window. Assuming of course that waking them up would help.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Use one of these to drive the headphones:
> <http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

I think you are probably right, but I have not bought them yet.

J.

> Given that you already have the giant cans, I'd point out a few things.
>
> 1) a well-designed sealing over-ear headphone provides a good amount of
> noise reduction right there. The noise-cancelling may be nice to have,
> but even that not-fancy effect is quite substantial, and will probably
> remove the chance of overhearing any conversations.
>
> 2) google "mint tin headphone amp" to see what to do to boost the volume
> and sound quality of a set of headphones driven by a small player.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

Yeah, I am counting on the over-ear design to muffle ambient sound. And I
hope the noise-cancelling feature will neutralize some of the bus/train
mechanical engine/motor racket.

I have some other Bose things, and IMO Bose makes good stuff. But not
necessarily a good value. I have been resisting the Quiet Comfort 2 or 3
because of the price, and also because they are mostly targeted at reducing
airplane noise. I never fly. With a little shopping around, one can often
pay significantly less than Bose, and get darn near the same product. Bose
has great marketing, and they make it easy to take the plunge, with their
generous trial period.

J.

"Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2008-03-02, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have just bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones, for the bus and
>> train legs of my daily commute. I really need to muffle the sound of the
>> chit chat, mostly on the bus, to preserve what is left of my sanity.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OMKR8E/ref=cm_rdp_product

> It will cancel the rumbling of the bus and the train but unfortunately
> you will hear most of the chit chat loud and clear.
>
> It can only work out the antinoise based on being able to predict what
> will come next. That's easy for the continuous hum of an engine, but not
> possible for the gibbering sounds produced by the other passengers.
>
> If the earpieces were quite thick and you could put the microphone and
> speaker 4cm apart then you'd have 0.0001s in which to generate the
> antinoise. That's easily enough time for a computer to work out the
> antinoise in, but actually getting the speaker to respond that quickly
> may be more of a problem. As far as I know the technology to do this
> doesn't exist yet.

Yeah, I was aware of the current limitations of noise-cancelling technology.
I have been pondering this purchase, off and on, for several months.

I have also been pondering my personal (private) solution to reducing
mindless chit chat, but people go to jail for that kind of thing. We are not
trying to script the next Quentin Tarantino movie here.

J.

Jay Bollyn wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Use one of these to drive the headphones:
>> <http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/>.
>>

> I think you are probably right, but I have not bought them yet.

My dealings with Head Room® have been positive, and the sound quality of
my "Little" amp is excellent for the price.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bugle_corps_(classic)

> Michael Press wrote:
> > The page is a stub.

> What does 'stub' mean in this context?

A system design will call for a number of functions.
When constructing the system many functions will not
have been written, while portions of the system that
_call_ the function will have been written. We do not
want the calling sequence to fail with an unrecoverable
error just because some function has not been
implemented. Instead we write a stub for the
unimplemented function that simply returns some harmless
value so that the portions of the system that are written
can be tested and further built up. The wiki page cited
offers no information on the topic. Rather it exists as
a stub which can eventually be made into an essay on drum
and bugle corps.

The written corps is singular or plural. Spoken the `s'
is silent when singular, and voiced when plural.

--
Michael Press

On Mar 2, 3:04 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have just bought a pair of noise cancelling headphones, for the bus and
> train legs of my daily commute. I really need to muffle the sound of the
> chit chat, mostly on the bus, to preserve what is left of my sanity.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OMKR8E/ref=cm_rdp_product
>
> Can anyone suggest a high quality sound source, to plug into this new toy?
>
> J.

Thanks to all who have replied!

Today is the first day, using these headphones with my new Sirius
Stiletto 2 portable satellite radio. I must say, the effect is
stunning. I like classical music. It is always nice when the quiet
passages are actually quiet, and these headphones help achieve that. I
don't think I will need an additional amp.

Tonight, I will know how well this radio receives a signal from the
satellite, from inside the train and bus. If GPS is any indication, I
know my Garmin can connect OK.

J.