OT dead camera

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Apr 10, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not going
    to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only $349 much
    better "stuff".

    Penny S

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

    > any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    dropped.
    > For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and
    the
    > one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".

    If it's got video out like the 990, you could use it as a remotes security camera. I know the
    feeling, my Nikon blew up a couple of weeks ago. Lucky for me, Nikon Canada is very customer
    orientated. Even though it was a year past warranty, they fixed it for free. While in the shop I had
    them do a firmware upgrade and put a 14NEF shot buffer in. No more waiting for that 6 shot buffer,
    maybe I'll finally retire the F5.

    Shaun Bell

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not
    > going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only
    > $349 much better "stuff".
    >
    > Penny S

    Why don't you do what I did with all my bongs and associated paraphernalia when I quit at the old
    age of 13....take it out to the street and use it for bunny hopping practice.

    --
    Slacker

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shaun Bell wrote:
    >> any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not
    >> going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only
    >> $349 much better "stuff".
    >
    > If it's got video out like the 990, you could use it as a remotes security camera. I know the
    > feeling, my Nikon blew up a couple of weeks ago. Lucky for me, Nikon Canada is very customer
    > orientated. Even though it was a year past warranty, they fixed it for free. While in the shop I
    > had them do a firmware upgrade and put a 14NEF shot buffer in. No more waiting for that 6 shot
    > buffer, maybe I'll finally retire the F5.
    >
    > Shaun Bell
    nope, no video. ( coolpix 800) Sounds like maybe I should move to Canada, even tho it's 2.5
    years old.

    penny

  5. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    > any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    dropped.
    > For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and
    the
    > one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".
    >
    > Penny S

    Do not repair it at that cost! I just bought my parents a CoolPix 2500
    (2.1MP, 2x Optical, 3x Digital zoom) for $194 out the door at Bestbuy. Nikon has discontinued that
    model and replaced it w/another for the $299 price range and they were (maybe ARE) blowing them
    out. Due to Nikon's optics, it's pictures look much more like a 4MP camera. Nikon's lens are
    fantastic and what I've noticed in some other brands is they emphasise the pixel count and skimp
    on the lens. If the lens isin't accurate, all the MP's do is give you great detail of a blurry
    shot. Just my $ .02.

    Greg

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    dropped.
    > For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and
    the
    > one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".
    >
    > Penny S

    Uhhhmm, send it to me?

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - Seriously!

  7. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    dropped.
    | For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and
    the
    | one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".
    |
    | Penny S

    See if you can have it insured as a seperate item on your home contents insurance (or usa
    equivalent). Then simply report it as accidental damage and have the insurance company fix it.

    Either that or keep it till you next go on vacation and claim it was stolen or lost from baggage.
    Get a new one from the insurabce company.

    Just my ideas

    Simon.....or send it to shaun and he can do one of the above

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] designs.nospam.co.uk says...

    > | any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    > dropped.
    > | For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and
    > the
    > | one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".
    > |
    > | Penny S
    > |

    > See if you can have it insured as a seperate item on your home contents insurance (or usa
    > equivalent). Then simply report it as accidental damage and have the insurance company fix it.
    >
    > Either that or keep it till you next go on vacation and claim it was stolen or lost from baggage.
    > Get a new one from the insurabce company.
    >
    > Just my ideas
    >
    > Simon.....or send it to shaun and he can do one of the above

    I would imagine the deductible is around that price anyway but if it was purchased with a credit
    card, some card companies do offer automatic insurance on purchases (I don't know about 2.5
    years though).
    --
    _________________________

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > | any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    > dropped.
    > | For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and
    > the
    > | one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".
    > |
    > | Penny S
    > |

    > See if you can have it insured as a seperate item on your home contents insurance (or usa
    > equivalent). Then simply report it as accidental damage and have the insurance company fix it.
    >
    > Either that or keep it till you next go on vacation and claim it was
    stolen
    > or lost from baggage. Get a new one from the insurabce company.
    >
    > Just my (criminal) ideas
    >
    > Simon.....or send it to shaun and he can do one of the above

    Errrrmm, or fix it?

    Duh!

    Shaun aRe

  10. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | >
    | > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    | > dropped.
    | > | For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom
    and
    | > the
    | > | one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".
    | > |
    | > | Penny S
    | > |
    | > |

    | > See if you can have it insured as a seperate item on your home contents insurance (or usa
    | > equivalent). Then simply report it as accidental
    damage
    | > and have the insurance company fix it.
    | >
    | > Either that or keep it till you next go on vacation and claim it was
    | stolen
    | > or lost from baggage. Get a new one from the insurabce company.
    | >
    | > Just my (criminal) ideas
    | >
    | > Simon.....or send it to shaun and he can do one of the above
    |
    | Errrrmm, or fix it?
    |
    | Duh!
    |

    | Shaun aRe

    Lol at the Duh!

    I think Penny's point was that it is not financially viable to fix it.

    Simon

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Simon wrote:
    >> any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not
    >> going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only
    >> $349 much better "stuff".
    >>
    >> Penny S
    >>

    > See if you can have it insured as a seperate item on your home contents insurance (or usa
    > equivalent). Then simply report it as accidental damage and have the insurance company fix it.
    >
    > Either that or keep it till you next go on vacation and claim it was stolen or lost from baggage.
    > Get a new one from the insurabce company.
    >
    > Just my ideas
    >
    > Simon.....or send it to shaun and he can do one of the above

    500 deductible, sorry.

  12. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not
    >> going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only
    >> $349 much better "stuff".
    >>
    >> Penny S
    >
    > Uhhhmm, send it to me?

    I suppose who ever wants it can have it for the cost of the repair?

    penny

  13. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got
    dropped.
    > For $230 I am not going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and
    the
    > one I want to replace it with is only $349 much better "stuff".
    >
    > Penny S

    Smoke lots of Marlboros. Save the miles. Get new camera!

    ~CG works for me

  14. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not
    > going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only
    > $349 much better "stuff".

    Well, I could take a crack at repairing it - I have had some success in the past with small
    electronic items.

    If you don't mind the fact that by opening it up, it pretty much blows any chance of attempts at
    warranty repair, or you actually getting back a working camera, then I'm game to give it a go.

    Here's the deal, in short:

    You give the camera to me. If I can fix it without any real cash out of pocket (oh, less than $5,
    say), then I'll send you the thing back.

    Whaddya say? E-mail me.

    Spider

  15. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Spider wrote:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not
    >> going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only
    >> $349 much better "stuff".
    >
    > Well, I could take a crack at repairing it - I have had some success in the past with small
    > electronic items.
    >
    > If you don't mind the fact that by opening it up, it pretty much blows any chance of attempts at
    > warranty repair, or you actually getting back a working camera, then I'm game to give it a go.
    >
    > Here's the deal, in short:
    >
    > You give the camera to me. If I can fix it without any real cash out of pocket (oh, less than $5,
    > say), then I'll send you the thing back.
    >
    > Whaddya say? E-mail me.
    >
    > Spider

    hhmmmm I don't know. What do you guys think? should I let him have at it? I still haven't gotten it
    back from the camera shop who sent it off for the estimate. And they don't tell you what's really
    wrong with it until after they fix it.

    Penny

  16. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > Spider wrote:
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> any one have any ideas on what to do with my Nikon coolpix that got dropped. For $230 I am not
    > >> going to repair it. It's 2.1 megapixels, 2X zoom and the one I want to replace it with is only
    > >> $349 much better "stuff".
    > >
    > > Well, I could take a crack at repairing it - I have had some success in the past with small
    > > electronic items.
    > >
    > > If you don't mind the fact that by opening it up, it pretty much blows any chance of attempts at
    > > warranty repair, or you actually getting back a working camera, then I'm game to give it a go.
    > >
    > > Here's the deal, in short:
    > >
    > > You give the camera to me. If I can fix it without any real cash out of pocket (oh, less than
    > > $5, say), then I'll send you the thing back.
    > >
    > > Whaddya say? E-mail me.
    > >
    > > Spider
    >
    > hhmmmm I don't know. What do you guys think? should I let him have at it? I still haven't gotten
    > it back from the camera shop who sent it off for
    the
    > estimate. And they don't tell you what's really wrong with it until after they fix it.
    >
    > Penny

    Why not? What've you got to lose? You've got a dead camera that can't be fixed (economically), or
    you've got a camera that cost next to nothing to fix, or you've got no camera that cost a bit more
    to fix and Spider is smiling. I'm looking at upgrading and replacing my two year old 1.3Megapixel
    Sony DSP 30 (or something) and I'm wondering what to do with it too. It's in perfect condition but
    all the same it's worth (relatively) next to nothing . I reckon that I could get no more than about
    $100 for it secondhand around here.
    --
    Westie --"Life is what happens while you're planning to do other things"--

  17. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Westie wrote:
    >> Spider wrote:
    >>> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:<[email protected]>...
    >>>
    >>> Well, I could take a crack at repairing it - I have had some success in the past with small
    >>> electronic items.
    >>>
    >>> If you don't mind the fact that by opening it up, it pretty much blows any chance of attempts at
    >>> warranty repair, or you actually getting back a working camera, then I'm game to give it a go.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the deal, in short:
    >>>
    >>> You give the camera to me. If I can fix it without any real cash out of pocket (oh, less than
    >>> $5, say), then I'll send you the thing back.
    >>>
    >>> Whaddya say? E-mail me.
    >>>
    >>> Spider
    >>
    >> hhmmmm I don't know. What do you guys think? should I let him have at it? I still haven't gotten
    >> it back from the camera shop who sent it off for the estimate. And they don't tell you what's
    >> really wrong with it until after they fix it.
    >>
    >> Penny
    >>

    > Why not? What've you got to lose? You've got a dead camera that can't be fixed (economically), or
    > you've got a camera that cost next to nothing to fix, or you've got no camera that cost a bit more
    > to fix and Spider is smiling. I'm looking at upgrading and replacing my two year old 1.3Megapixel
    > Sony DSP 30 (or something) and I'm wondering what to do with it too. It's in perfect condition but
    > all the same it's worth (relatively) next to nothing . I reckon that I could get no more than
    > about $100 for it secondhand around here.

    I"ve already eamiled him, at least it didn't bounce back If he can get it working then I can donate
    it to my son's scout troop maybe.

    (spider did you get that mail?)

    Penny

  18. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Westie wrote:
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > >> hhmmmm I don't know. What do you guys think? should I let him have at it? I still haven't
    > >> gotten it back from the camera shop who sent it off for the estimate. And they don't tell you
    > >> what's really wrong with it until after they fix it.
    > >>
    > >> Penny
    > >>

    > > Why not? What've you got to lose? You've got a dead camera that can't be fixed (economically),
    > > or you've got a camera that cost next to nothing to fix, or you've got no camera that cost a bit
    > > more to fix and Spider is smiling. I'm looking at upgrading and replacing my two year old
    > > 1.3Megapixel Sony DSP 30 (or something) and I'm wondering what to do with it too. It's in
    > > perfect condition but all the same it's worth (relatively) next to nothing . I reckon that I
    > > could get no more than about $100 for it secondhand around here.
    >
    > I"ve already eamiled him, at least it didn't bounce back If he can get it working then I can
    > donate it to my son's scout troop maybe.
    >
    > (spider did you get that mail?)

    I got a truncated e-mail - could you please re-send? Thanks,

    Spider

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > | Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:[email protected]...
    > | >
    > | > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | > news:[email protected]...
    > | > dropped.
    > and
    > | > the
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > See if you can have it insured as a seperate item on your home
    contents
    > | > insurance (or usa equivalent). Then simply report it as accidental
    > damage
    > | > and have the insurance company fix it.
    > | >
    > | > Either that or keep it till you next go on vacation and claim it was
    > | stolen
    > | > or lost from baggage. Get a new one from the insurabce company.
    > | >
    > | > Just my (criminal) ideas
    > | >
    > | > Simon.....or send it to shaun and he can do one of the above
    > |
    > | Errrrmm, or fix it?
    > |
    > | Duh!
    > |

    > | Shaun aRe
    > |
    > Lol at the Duh!
    >
    > I think Penny's point was that it is not financially viable to fix it.

    Nah - 'to get it fixed' would be costly. To 'fix it' may well not be ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  20. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:eek:[email protected]...
    | >
    | > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]tronic.co.uk> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > |
    | > | Simon <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > | news:[email protected]...

    | > and
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | contents
    | > damage

    | > | stolen

    | > | Errrrmm, or fix it?
    | > |
    | > | Duh!
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Shaun aRe
    | > |
    | > Lol at the Duh!
    | >
    | > I think Penny's point was that it is not financially viable to fix it.
    |
    | Nah - 'to get it fixed' would be costly. To 'fix it' may well not be
    ',;~}~

    | Shaun aRe

    Ohhhhhhhh I see!

    Simon.......stupid is as stupid does!