OT Disgraceful dishonesty of the most murderous kind

[email protected] (R.White) wrote:

>"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> R.White wrote:

>> > Hey Greg, how about doing some research and find out how many homeless
>> > shelters and soup kitchens there are in the US. Find out who runs them
>> > and funds them. Who works in them for free.
>> >
>> > This will help you start your search:
>> >
>> > <http://www.gtii.com/members/lannin/shelters/us.htm>
>> > <http://www.memphisunionmission.org/>
>> > <http://www.providencerescuemission.org/.
>> >
>> > "The Providence Rescue Mission serves many thousands of men,
>> > women and children in the west end of Providence. We serve the poor
>> > with dignity and respect. We feed and cloth the addicted and homeless;
>> > our doors are open to all, free of charge. We are able to do this
>> > because of you who faithfully, month after month, donate your time,
>> > materials and resources to us. We are a faith based organization,
>> > trusting that God will provide for the many needs and He has been
>> > faithful. Thank you so much for your faithful support."
>> >

>> Yes, like I said, 1% of conservative Christians.

>Oh goody, I'm surrounded by the top 1%!

No, *I* am surrounded by the top 1%!

I do have to wonder how rich that 1% must be to do all that on their
own though. But that can't be - if they're in the upper 1% of the
income range (they'd have to be!) they're evil... Al Gore told me so.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:

> [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

>>>Yes, like I said, 1% of conservative Christians.

>>Oh goody, I'm surrounded by the top 1%!

> No, *I* am surrounded by the top 1%!
>
> I do have to wonder how rich that 1% must be to do all that on their
> own though. But that can't be - if they're in the upper 1% of the
> income range (they'd have to be!) they're evil... Al Gore told me so.

Maybe I should convert so I can come live in your guys's fairyland.

Greg
--
Destroy your safe and happy lives
Before it is too late

[email protected]ospam (Tom Paterson) writes:

>>From: [email protected]

>>For a quick sketch of Puritan notions about wealth and why it's good
>>for you, take a peek at:
>>
>>http://www.apuritansmind.com/Stewardship/RykenLelandPuritansAndMoney.htm

> Thanks, ST. I especially liked the line about "human endeavor not
> being a guarantee of success".

True but not considered acceptable to a lot of people, as it seems to
be human nature to think a little effort should be abundantly
rewarded. Even better if I get abundantly rewarded for someone else's
effort!

> Lots of folks out there are taking personal credit for having a
> little luck in life, and looking down on those less fortunate (hence
> the expression, of course).

Of course, when it comes to the President from either party, they tend
to get more of the blame than is their due, and they tend to take or
be given more of the credit than is their due. Carter getting blamed
for the energy crisis that originated during the Ford Administration,
for example, and Reagan being credited for rebuilding the armed forces
which actually began in the Carter Administration, and Clinton being
blamed for dismantling the armed forces which actually began in the
Bush I Administration. (Those are all pro-Democrat examples, I
realize; I'm sure someone can come up with some pro-Republican
examples).

Indeed, as much as I dislike GWB a lot, I don't think he can be held
responsible for bin Laden deciding to attack the US using hijacked
airplanes; and as will be pointed out in the upcoming 9/11 Commission
report, much of the structural problems in the intelligence/law
enforcement community originated in the Reagan Administration and were
encrusted further in subsequent administrations.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:

> I don't begin to deny that the soccer-mom-in-a-land-barge isn't a
> real phenomenon

Dang, Mark. That's funny! And oh-so-true. Most SUVs are just
glorified, dangerous station wagons with a highly inflated price tag.
I get a kick out of people buying motor vehicles that cost 1/2 to 2/3
as much as my house!

"G.T." <[email protected]> writes:

> Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> [email protected] (R.White) wrote:
>>
>>>"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:<[email protected]>...

>>>Oh goody, I'm surrounded by the top 1%!

>> No, *I* am surrounded by the top 1%! I do have to wonder how rich
>> that 1% must be to do all that on their own though. But that can't
>> be - if they're in the upper 1% of the income range (they'd have to
>> be!) they're evil... Al Gore told me so.
>>

> Maybe I should convert so I can come live in your guys's fairyland.

http://tinyurl.com/5rkln

"A few months ago I set out on a personal journey to become a
Republican, and of course I lost some of my leftist friends, which
doesn't bother me because frankly most of them were getting old anyway
and they're complaining about their health and I can see where in a
few years they're going to be asking me for favors and they're just
more trouble than they're worth. And like most Democrats they're all
upset and they're introspective and that's a bore. Now that I'm a
Republican I'm not interested in politics anymore, I'm able to turn my
full attention to home decorating, which is my true love."

"We're all Republicans now
We're all united, and how,
There's no more dissent
We're all in the tent
We're all Republicans now
We're free from worry and cares,
We got ours so let them get theirs.
We live in nice houses, we drive a nice car,
We have more fun cause that's just how we are
We play hard and work hard and, just so you know,
We're smarter than you, that's why we've got the dough,
Cause we're Republicans,
We are Republicans,
We're all Republicans now."

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I don't begin to deny that the soccer-mom-in-a-land-barge isn't a
>> real phenomenon

>Dang, Mark. That's funny! And oh-so-true. Most SUVs are just
>glorified, dangerous station wagons with a highly inflated price tag.
>I get a kick out of people buying motor vehicles that cost 1/2 to 2/3
>as much as my house!

And is it just me, or is there an inverse relationship between the
size of the soccer mom and her SUV? Big, beefy mothers tend to drive
"smallish" SUVs like Jeep Cherokees and Isuzu Troopers - while it's
normally the tiny little petite types who opt for the Chevy Suburban.

You'd never even be able to see them through the tinted windows if it
wasn't for the glint of the cell phone plastered to their ear. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:
>>

>>>I don't begin to deny that the soccer-mom-in-a-land-barge isn't a
>>>real phenomenon

>>Dang, Mark. That's funny! And oh-so-true. Most SUVs are just
>>glorified, dangerous station wagons with a highly inflated price tag.
>>I get a kick out of people buying motor vehicles that cost 1/2 to 2/3
>>as much as my house!

> And is it just me, or is there an inverse relationship between the
> size of the soccer mom and her SUV? Big, beefy mothers tend to drive
> "smallish" SUVs like Jeep Cherokees and Isuzu Troopers - while it's
> normally the tiny little petite types who opt for the Chevy Suburban.
>
> You'd never even be able to see them through the tinted windows if it
> wasn't for the glint of the cell phone plastered to their ear. ;-)

People that buy large expensive objects are compensating for other
deficiencies. The same holds true for the size of wheels on the bicycle
one rides. ;)

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Dang, Mark. That's funny! And oh-so-true. Most SUVs are just
>>>glorified, dangerous station wagons with a highly inflated price tag.
>>>I get a kick out of people buying motor vehicles that cost 1/2 to 2/3
>>>as much as my house!

>> And is it just me, or is there an inverse relationship between the
>> size of the soccer mom and her SUV? Big, beefy mothers tend to drive
>> "smallish" SUVs like Jeep Cherokees and Isuzu Troopers - while it's
>> normally the tiny little petite types who opt for the Chevy Suburban.
>>
>> You'd never even be able to see them through the tinted windows if it
>> wasn't for the glint of the cell phone plastered to their ear. ;-)

>People that buy large expensive objects are compensating for other
>deficiencies. The same holds true for the size of wheels on the bicycle
>one rides. ;)

Ummmm, anyone got a Moulton for sale or wanna buy a tandem ? ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

gwhite <[email protected]> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>>

>> "A few months ago I set out on a personal journey to become a
>> Republican, and of course I lost some of my leftist friends,...

> http://www.fee.org/vnews.php?nid=603&printable=Y

Another interesting demonstration of how things change. The GOP was
once more liberal than the Democrats on many issues.

Teddy Roosevelt signed the National Park system into law (which many
neocons want to de-fund and destroy- with great success in the last
budget, a $600 million shortfall in funding for national park
operations), Richard Nixon signed four landmark environmental
protection bills (the Clean Air Act, the creation of the EPA, the
Pesticide Control Act [might not have that quite correct, but it's
also the law that Tom DeLay claims ruined his life] and one other that
I am drawing a blank on right now).

Since 1980, however, the tenor of those controlling the Republican
Party has changed 180 degrees as regards the environment; now they are
concerned only in protecting the business environment. That's created
some strange bedfellows, such as the NRA joining forces with the
Sierra Club... Somehow the New Republicans seem to lack the simple
comprehension that conservation is conservative. Another legacy of
Ronald Reagan and his progenitor, Barry Goldwater.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

> >People that buy large expensive objects are compensating for other
> >deficiencies. The same holds true for the size of wheels on the bicycle
> >one rides. ;)

> Ummmm, anyone got a Moulton for sale or wanna buy a tandem ? ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

Wow, it would have made a good advertising campaign for the safety
bicycle in the times of penny-farthings!

Well, that and the ability to stop without crashing...

Ritch

> Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Dang, Mark. That's funny! And oh-so-true. Most SUVs are just
> >>glorified, dangerous station wagons with a highly inflated price tag.
> >>I get a kick out of people buying motor vehicles that cost 1/2 to 2/3
> >>as much as my house!

> > And is it just me, or is there an inverse relationship between the
> > size of the soccer mom and her SUV? Big, beefy mothers tend to drive
> > "smallish" SUVs like Jeep Cherokees and Isuzu Troopers - while it's
> > normally the tiny little petite types who opt for the Chevy Suburban.
> >
> > You'd never even be able to see them through the tinted windows if it
> > wasn't for the glint of the cell phone plastered to their ear. ;-)

> People that buy large expensive objects are compensating for other
> deficiencies. The same holds true for the size of wheels on the bicycle
> one rides. ;)

I ride a huffy, with some mods. I put 24 inch wheels and 18c tires. :-0

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

> >> Yes, like I said, 1% of conservative Christians.

> >Oh goody, I'm surrounded by the top 1%!

> No, *I* am surrounded by the top 1%!
>
> I do have to wonder how rich that 1% must be to do all that on their
> own though. But that can't be - if they're in the upper 1% of the
> income range (they'd have to be!) they're evil... Al Gore told me so.

Wifes mission trip to Jamaica: $1475
My lost wages staying home with 3 children: $900
Being thankful for what we have: Priceless.

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

> >>Oh goody, I'm surrounded by the top 1%!

> > No, *I* am surrounded by the top 1%!
> >
> > I do have to wonder how rich that 1% must be to do all that on their
> > own though. But that can't be - if they're in the upper 1% of the
> > income range (they'd have to be!) they're evil... Al Gore told me so.
> >

> Maybe I should convert so I can come live in your guys's fairyland.

Does that mean you're looking for an invite?

On 20 Jul 2004 16:21:05 -0700, [email protected] (R.White)
wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

>> >Oh goody, I'm surrounded by the top 1%!

>> No, *I* am surrounded by the top 1%!
>>
>> I do have to wonder how rich that 1% must be to do all that on their
>> own though. But that can't be - if they're in the upper 1% of the
>> income range (they'd have to be!) they're evil... Al Gore told me so.

>Wifes mission trip to Jamaica: $1475
>My lost wages staying home with 3 children: $900
>Being thankful for what we have: Priceless.

Dear R.White,

Be sure to let us know what you plan to take off your taxes.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen
of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is
in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not
sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the
synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of
men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when
thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right
hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father
which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly."
(Matthew 6:1-4)

Carl Fogel

> On 20 Jul 2004 16:21:05 -0700, [email protected] (R.White)
> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> >> No, *I* am surrounded by the top 1%!
> >>
> >> I do have to wonder how rich that 1% must be to do all that on their
> >> own though. But that can't be - if they're in the upper 1% of the
> >> income range (they'd have to be!) they're evil... Al Gore told me so.

> >Wifes mission trip to Jamaica: $1475
> >My lost wages staying home with 3 children: $900
> >Being thankful for what we have: Priceless.

> Dear R.White,
>
> Be sure to let us know what you plan to take off your taxes.

Carl,

I do not pay income taxes. On my W-4 I write "exempt."
I get all my state taxes back too, BTW.

> "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen
> of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is
> in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not
> sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the
> synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of
> men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when
> thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right
> hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father
> which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly."
> (Matthew 6:1-4)

I've been judged by Carl Fogel, a mere man.

On 21 Jul 2004 13:54:44 -0700, [email protected] (R.White)
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 20 Jul 2004 16:21:05 -0700, [email protected] (R.White)
>> wrote:

>> >Wifes mission trip to Jamaica: $1475
>> >My lost wages staying home with 3 children: $900
>> >Being thankful for what we have: Priceless.

>> Dear R.White,
>>
>> Be sure to let us know what you plan to take off your taxes.

>Carl,
>
>I do not pay income taxes. On my W-4 I write "exempt."
>I get all my state taxes back too, BTW.
>
>> "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen
>> of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is
>> in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not
>> sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the
>> synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of
>> men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when
>> thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right
>> hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father
>> which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly."
>> (Matthew 6:1-4)

>I've been judged by Carl Fogel, a mere man.

Dear R. White,

If you boast to mere men, you must expect them to judge you
according to your lights and methods of measurement.

Do you tell your children that you feel that you've lost
$900 in tax-free wages taking care of them while their
mother is away?

Presumably you're deeply thankful that you pay no income
taxes, but the admonition about rendering unto Caesar makes
it a bit unclear to whom you're thankful.

Carl Fogel

> On 21 Jul 2004 13:54:44 -0700, [email protected] (R.White)
> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> >> Dear R.White,
> >>
> >> Be sure to let us know what you plan to take off your taxes.

> >Carl,
> >
> >I do not pay income taxes. On my W-4 I write "exempt."
> >I get all my state taxes back too, BTW.
> >
> >> "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen
> >> of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is
> >> in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not
> >> sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the
> >> synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of
> >> men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when
> >> thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right
> >> hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father
> >> which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly."
> >> (Matthew 6:1-4)

> >I've been judged by Carl Fogel, a mere man.

> Dear R. White,
>
> If you boast to mere men, you must expect them to judge you
> according to your lights and methods of measurement.

The thing is I wasn't boasting, I was replying to MH's tongue-in-cheek
post about how all the do gooders must be rich. I was pointing out
that
some are not. I was mentioning what something costs and what was
gained
from it. Had I (we) not gained anything from the experience, THEN it
would simply be boasting about how much money was used or missed in
lost wages.
Your eagerness to pass judgement blinded you to the most important
thing,
what was learned fromm said experience.

You are free to twist it how you see fit. I'm at a loss as why this
is of so much interest to you.

> Do you tell your children that you feel that you've lost
> $900 in tax-free wages taking care of them while their
> mother is away?

Why do you feel you need to know what I tell them?

The finances of our household are not discussed with our children
as are many other subjects that don't concern them. All they know
is they got to spend 2 weeks with their father having a great time
while their mother was away helping others. End of story as far as
my children go. You need not inquire any more about them as they
are non of your business.

> Presumably you're deeply thankful that you pay no income
> taxes, but the admonition about rendering unto Caesar makes
> it a bit unclear to whom you're thankful.

I pay no income taxes by giving up a high paying career
in order to work a lower paying job that gives me more time to be
with my family. It just happens to make my tax liablity zero in
accordance to the IRS/US Government (Caeser). I'm simply following
the rules as made by those who lead us.

What I'm thankful for will remain between me and God.