OT: Does anyone know this book?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kevin Stone, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Kevin Stone

    Kevin Stone Guest

    Hi,

    While in the dentist a while ago, I read the Readers Digest (as you do) and
    there was an extract from a book.

    Does anyone know the book from the following description (maybe slightly
    wrong).

    It was a factual account of a man's walk around Britain (I think). He left
    his home with his dog with no money and as he toured the countryside he
    offered his labour for work. After a while his dog couldn't take the pace so
    had to go, and he continued on his own. His account had many tales about the
    hospitality of people (and lack of).

    He may have walked from A to B instead of 'around Britain' - I can't
    remember. But I think he was away for ages. The account is similar to The
    Sea on Our Left - which is a couples account of something very similar.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    --
    Kev

    Tags:

  2. Colin Nelson

    Colin Nelson Guest

    "Kevin Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > While in the dentist a while ago, I read the Readers Digest (as you do)

    and
    > there was an extract from a book.
    >
    > Does anyone know the book from the following description (maybe slightly
    > wrong).
    >
    > It was a factual account of a man's walk around Britain (I think). He left
    > his home with his dog with no money and as he toured the countryside he
    > offered his labour for work. After a while his dog couldn't take the pace

    so
    > had to go, and he continued on his own. His account had many tales about

    the
    > hospitality of people (and lack of).
    >
    > He may have walked from A to B instead of 'around Britain' - I can't
    > remember. But I think he was away for ages. The account is similar to The
    > Sea on Our Left - which is a couples account of something very similar.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Kev

    BROKE THROUGH BRITAIN One Man`s Penniless Odyssey.
    Author - Peter Mortimer.
    ISBN 1 84018 163 X
    Try second-hand bookshops
    Colin N

  3. Kevin Stone

    Kevin Stone Guest

    "Colin Nelson" wrote:

    > BROKE THROUGH BRITAIN One Man`s Penniless Odyssey.

    Many thanks - this is the book.

    --
    Kev

  4. A similar book was "400 mile walkies" or something like that; I remember
    reading it about 10 years ago while in hospital.

    The book was about a man who, in an effort to impress a girl walked from
    Western Super Mare to Southampton along the coastal path. He thought all
    great walkers have a dog for a companion so he has given the loan of an
    very stupid Collie.

    ....... sadly the girl was not impressed and had was with someone else
    when he returned.

    Wallace

    --
    Wallace Shackleton,

    Kinross,
    Scotland.

    Cycling in Kinross-shire www.cyclekinross.org.uk

  5. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Wallace Shackleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A similar book was "400 mile walkies" or something like that; I remember
    > reading it about 10 years ago while in hospital.

    500 miles. A funny book.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  6. John J

    John J Guest

    The 500 mile Walkies book is by Mark Wallington, who also wrote Boogie
    on up the River and Pennine Walkies - all humourous accounts of long
    distance walks accompanied by his dog (called Boogie).They're all out
    of print at the moment but I've got the Pennine Walkies one in the
    bookcase next to me!

    Wobbly John

  7. iarocu

    iarocu Guest

    ).

    > It was a factual account of a man's walk around Britain (I think). He left
    > his home with his dog with no money and as he toured the countryside he
    > offered his labour for work. After a while his dog couldn't take the pace so
    > had to go, and he continued on his own. His account had many tales about the
    > hospitality of people (and lack of).

    Sounds like "Broke Through Britain" by Peter Mortimer. The book about
    his walk from Plymouth to Edinburgh in 1998. His idea was to do it
    with no money or arranged accomodation and rely on the generosity of
    people he met on the way.
    Iain

  8. Kevin Stone

    Kevin Stone Guest

    "iarocu" wrote:

    > Sounds like "Broke Through Britain"

    'Twas - as confirmed by Colin earlier.

    Thanks.

    --
    Kev

  9. Kevin Stone

    Kevin Stone Guest

    "Colin Nelson" wrote:

    > BROKE THROUGH BRITAIN One Man`s Penniless Odyssey.

    It's just arrived via Amazon's used book service, cost me 38p (but £2.75
    post), but I can't grumble, a truly remarkable service.

    Briliant.

    --
    Kev

  10. Purple

    Purple Guest

    "Kevin Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Colin Nelson" wrote:
    >
    > > BROKE THROUGH BRITAIN One Man`s Penniless Odyssey.

    > It's just arrived via Amazon's used book service, cost me 38p (but £2.75
    > post), but I can't grumble, a truly remarkable service.
    >
    > Briliant.
    >
    > --
    > Kev

    I've read that book and found it sadly dissappointing at the end, it didn't
    follow through quite as promised. Or is that just cos it was a man that
    wrote it?! ;o)

    It did seem like a cop out, but that is just my opnion

    Fran

  11. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Kevin Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Colin Nelson" wrote:
    >
    > > BROKE THROUGH BRITAIN One Man`s Penniless Odyssey.

    > It's just arrived via Amazon's used book service, cost me 38p (but £2.75
    > post), but I can't grumble, a truly remarkable service.
    >
    > Briliant.
    >
    > --
    > Kev

    Try abebooks.