OT: Dog (replacement?) question....

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Spammers_Should_Be_Shot, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Anyone got any advice on what I should do:

    My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one paralyzed
    rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss (and
    they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.) and
    that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there, she
    even likes to "talk" to him.

    Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the month
    and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would be
    a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with a
    dog loss (with or without a "replacement").

    I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    requirements:
    Good with kids
    Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    Low to moderate exercise requirements
    Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    "retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
    Not a long haired breed
    Definitely not a drooler!
    We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    another family member
    BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a dog
    that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas

    Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....

    Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so probably
    the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?

    Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    it's place....)

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    >
    > My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one
    > paralyzed
    > rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    > few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss
    > (and
    > they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    > thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.)
    > and
    > that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    > follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there,
    > she
    > even likes to "talk" to him.
    >
    > Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the
    > month
    > and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would
    > be
    > a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    > kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with
    > dog loss (with or without a "replacement").
    >

    > I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    > requirements:
    > Good with kids
    > Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    > Low to moderate exercise requirements
    > Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    > "retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
    > Not a long haired breed
    > Definitely not a drooler!
    > We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    > another family member
    > BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a dog
    > that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    >
    > Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    > My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    > My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    >
    > Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
    > probably
    > the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    >
    > Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    > it's place....)

    Grief is very real when losing a pet - not much different from losing a
    child although the period of grieving is far less. A new replacement puppy
    as soon as possible following the loss of your lab is the best antidote.
    Why not another lab?

  3. John

    John Guest

    "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

> [...]
    >> another family member
    >> BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a
    >> dog
    >> that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    >>
    >> Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    >> My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    >> My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    >>
    >> Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
    >> probably
    >> the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    >> it's place....)
    >>

    > Grief is very real when losing a pet - not much different from losing a
    > child although the period of grieving is far less. A new replacement puppy
    > as soon as possible following the loss of your lab is the best antidote.

    I agree, the grief is very real, and your dog (mate) will always be
    remembered by its name - not that it was just a dog. A new dog will not
    'replace' the old one, but a new puppy will absorb the grief with its
    exuberance and the love for the little fella will make the whole family
    happy again. Take the kids to buy a new one. Buy it for the family - not for
    a birthday.

    regards
    john

  4. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:55:47 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    >
    >My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one paralyzed
    >rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    >few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss (and
    >they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    >However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    >before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    >thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.) and
    >that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    >follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there, she
    >even likes to "talk" to him.
    >
    >Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    >briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    >replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the month
    >and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would be
    >a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    >kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with a
    >dog loss (with or without a "replacement").

    I've always felt that good dogs and cats return to you via
    reincarnation, and getting one sooner rather than later can be good or
    bad. In time, one will suddenly "appear" in your life, then accept it,
    and take him/her in. Don't hurry it.

    >I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    >requirements:
    >Good with kids
    >Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    >Low to moderate exercise requirements
    >Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    >"retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
    >Not a long haired breed
    >Definitely not a drooler!
    >We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    >another family member
    >BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a dog
    >that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas

    When it comes to a dog defending itself against cats, the cats are
    sometimes scared shitless of the smaller dogs than the bigger ones, so
    don't let that be a deciding factior.

  5. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Spammers_Should_Be_Shot wrote:
    > Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    >
    > My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one paralyzed
    > rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    > few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss (and
    > they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    > thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.) and
    > that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    > follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there, she
    > even likes to "talk" to him.
    >
    > Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the month
    > and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would be
    > a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    > kids) or just remind them of the loss?

    I think getting another dog before she suggests it is going to:

    a) land you in serious shit for not respecting her grief
    b) cause problems for her accepting the new dog
    c) land you in serious shit for with her for treating a dog like an
    object when she obviously sees your old dog as a member of the family

    When she's ready, she'll suggest another dog. I know you want to help
    minimise her hurt, but in these situations the best thing is probably
    just to be there and comfort her (do not say anything like 'it's not so
    bad' or 'you'll feel better soon'...that would be....ummm...bad).

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  6. David

    David Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
    >>> probably
    >>> the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    >>> it's place....)
    >>>

    >> Grief is very real when losing a pet - not much different from losing a
    >> child although the period of grieving is far less. A new replacement
    >> puppy as soon as possible following the loss of your lab is the best
    >> antidote. Why not another lab?
    >>

    > I agree, the grief is very real, and your dog (mate) will always be
    > remembered by its name - not that it was just a dog. A new dog will not
    > 'replace' the old one, but a new puppy will absorb the grief with its
    > exuberance and the love for the little fella will make the whole family
    > happy again. Take the kids to buy a new one. Buy it for the family - not

    Geez, why couldn't I have said is that well?

  7. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    >Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    >
    >My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one paralyzed
    >rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    >few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss (and
    >they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    >However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    >before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    >thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.) and
    >that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    >follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there, she
    >even likes to "talk" to him.

    My wife is the same way with Buddy even though when I brought him home
    she said, "it's either him or me" in which I replied, "cya". She had
    never had a dog before either. So, I had my youngest go buy a kennel
    and that night I put him in it before I went to bed. I woke up early
    the next morning and Buddy wasn't in his kennel nor was he in my son's
    room. I finally noticed him laying next to my wife on the couch when
    she began to chastise me for leaving him in a kennel in the laundry
    room. She sat up with him all night:)

    >Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    >briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    >replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the month
    >and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would be
    >a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    >kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with a
    >dog loss (with or without a "replacement").

    I plan on getting another Lab this Spring to ease the future passing
    of Buddy and for him to have his own buddy (and for me to have a
    second hunting dog which will hopefully make them both better
    hunters). Buddy will be three in April and it's probably a bit soon
    to be getting a replacement seeing as how it's possible for Buddy to
    outlive a dog that was just born about now.

    Anywho, get another Lab and do it right away. I grew up with dogs and
    that's always what my parents did and still do. Every other dog owner
    I know does the same thing. It makes the passing a little more
    bearable. Also, get a puppy because it will be so much work that you
    will have little time to feel the pain of your Lab's passing. The pup
    will also do things that will remind you of you Lab in pleasant ways.

    >I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    >requirements:
    >Good with kids
    >Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    >Low to moderate exercise requirements
    >Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    >"retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).

    Buddy always fetches our shoes for us. At least when we are going
    somewhere and by we, I mean him too. He knows he's going (we tell him
    to get our shoes so that we can go bye bye) so he will be in an
    incredible state of excitement while doing so. It's funnier than
    hell.

    >Not a long haired breed
    >Definitely not a drooler!
    >We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    >another family member
    >BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a dog
    >that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    >
    >Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    >My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    >My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    >
    >Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so probably
    >the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    >
    >Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    >it's place....)

    A Labrador Retreiver.

  8. David

    David Guest

    "John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]

    > incredible state of excitement while doing so. It's funnier than
    > hell.
    >
    >>Not a long haired breed
    >>Definitely not a drooler!
    >>We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    >>another family member
    >>BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a dog
    >>that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    >>
    >>Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    >>My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    >>My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    >>
    >>Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
    >>probably
    >>the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has

    Good advice

  9. Willow

    Willow Guest

    I would discuss it with her.. best way to know..

    Puppy funnies often ease the sadness but sneaking up on her after she said
    no is kinda.. I don't know.. rude...

    Get a rottweiler and take time to train it well.. Rotties can be awesome
    with kids and they are so goofy it's a party to see them grow up..

    --
    Will~

    "... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

    Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

  10. Spammers_Should_Be_Shot <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    >
    > My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one paralyzed
    > rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    > few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss (and
    > they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    > thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.) and
    > that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    > follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there, she
    > even likes to "talk" to him.
    >
    > Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the month
    > and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would be
    > a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    > kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with a
    > dog loss (with or without a "replacement").

    I don't have any advice for you (other than to adopt a shelter dog if
    you can, because if anyone needs a good home it's those guys), but I'm
    sorry your dog is ill. Losing a pet is rough.

  11. JMW

    JMW Guest

    Spammers_Should_Be_Shot wrote:
    > Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    >
    > My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one paralyzed
    > rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    > few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss (and
    > they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    > thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.) and
    > that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    > follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there, she
    > even likes to "talk" to him.
    >
    > Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the month
    > and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would be
    > a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    > kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with a
    > dog loss (with or without a "replacement").
    >

    > I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    > requirements:
    > Good with kids
    > Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    > Low to moderate exercise requirements
    > Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    > "retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
    > Not a long haired breed
    > Definitely not a drooler!
    > We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    > another family member
    > BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a dog
    > that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    >
    > Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    > My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    > My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    >
    > Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so probably
    > the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    >
    > Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    > it's place....)

    How about showing her the web page of available dogs at your local
    animal shelter? You can probably find it here:

    http://www.petfinder.com/

    You can take your wife and kids to the animal shelter and let them look
    at and observe the behavior of a number of different breeds and
    mixed-breeds, as well as the personality of individual dogs. And
    you'll be giving a home to a dog that really *needs* one.

    Just a few weeks ago, I posted about the same experience you're having:

    http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/1f049c9afd582e69?hl=en&

    Showing my wife the local shelter's page on petfinder.com started her
    thinking, and within a few hours, she wanted to go to the shelter and
    look at the dogs.

  12. 0901453765

    0901453765 Guest

    I always use Rolf Harris

  13. TBR

    TBR Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:30:30 GMT, "Willow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Get a rottweiler

    Idiot.

  14. Willow

    Willow Guest

    LOL

    --
    Will~

    "... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

    Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

    "TBR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:30:30 GMT, "Willow"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Get a rottweiler

    > Idiot.

  15. "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    >
    > My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one
    > paralyzed
    > rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for a
    > few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss
    > (and
    > they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the first
    > thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.)
    > and
    > that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him, he
    > follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there,
    > she
    > even likes to "talk" to him.
    >
    > Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the
    > month
    > and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would
    > be
    > a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    > kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with
    > dog loss (with or without a "replacement").
    >

    > I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    > requirements:
    > Good with kids
    > Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    > Low to moderate exercise requirements
    > Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    > "retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
    > Not a long haired breed
    > Definitely not a drooler!
    > We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    > another family member
    > BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a dog
    > that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    >
    > Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    > My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    > My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    >
    > Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
    > probably
    > the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    >
    > Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    > it's place....)

    English Mastiff. Great dogs.

    Fraser

  16. "David" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:43c638de$0$92[email protected]

> [...]

    > > another family member
    > > BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a

    dog
    > > that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    > >
    > > Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    > > My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    > > My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    > >
    > > Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
    > > probably
    > > the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    > > it's place....)
    > >

    > Grief is very real when losing a pet - not much different from losing a
    > child although the period of grieving is far less. A new replacement puppy
    > as soon as possible following the loss of your lab is the best antidote.

    Why not? Well, to be honest, since first getting this lab I always thought
    it'd be the only one I'd ever own. He's been the BEST dog anyone could
    want/hope for. Since he's a black lab my wife did mention once the
    possibility of someday getting a chocolate, so maybe I'll have to think
    about it.

  17. "Fraser Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]
    > > Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    > >
    > > My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one
    > > paralyzed
    > > rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for

    > > few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss
    > > (and
    > > they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > > However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > > before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the

    first
    > > thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.)
    > > and
    > > that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him,

    he
    > > follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there,
    > > she
    > > even likes to "talk" to him.
    > >
    > > Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > > briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > > replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the
    > > month
    > > and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog

    would
    > > be
    > > a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly

    the
    > > kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences

    with
    > > dog loss (with or without a "replacement").
    > >

    > > I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    > > requirements:
    > > Good with kids
    > > Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    > > Low to moderate exercise requirements
    > > Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    > > "retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
    > > Not a long haired breed
    > > Definitely not a drooler!
    > > We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    > > another family member
    > > BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a

    dog
    > > that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    > >
    > > Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    > > My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    > > My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    > >
    > > Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
    > > probably
    > > the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    > > it's place....)

    > English Mastiff. Great dogs.
    >
    > Fraser

    I did a little online "research" last night and I've come to the conclusion
    that I'd love to get a Mastiff. However, at 90lbs. we've always thought our
    lab was a little bigger than ideal (and an 180lb. Mastiff would be WAY big).
    I don't suppose there's a way to get a miniature Mastiff? Something in the
    50-60lb. range? Maybe a Lab/Mastiff mix? I wonder what that'd be like.....

  18. "John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:55:47 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
    >
    > >Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    > >
    > >My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one

    paralyzed
    > >rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for

    > >few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss

    (and
    > >they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > >However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > >before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the

    first
    > >thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.)

    and
    > >that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him,

    he
    > >follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there,

    she
    > >even likes to "talk" to him.

    > My wife is the same way with Buddy even though when I brought him home
    > she said, "it's either him or me" in which I replied, "cya". She had
    > never had a dog before either. So, I had my youngest go buy a kennel
    > and that night I put him in it before I went to bed. I woke up early
    > the next morning and Buddy wasn't in his kennel nor was he in my son's
    > room. I finally noticed him laying next to my wife on the couch when
    > she began to chastise me for leaving him in a kennel in the laundry
    > room. She sat up with him all night:)

    Great story, here's ours: (I didn't mention all this before but maybe I
    should have for those people who aren't "dog people")
    On a Friday afternoon some friends of ours were at their vets and he asked
    them if they'd like to adopt another dog. See, there was this great, fully
    trained, 2y.o. lab scheduled to be put down at the end of the day if nobody
    adopted him. Our friends being animal lovers couldn't let that happen so
    they "temp-adopted" him until they could find him a permenant home (they had
    3 dogs and 5 cats and didn't want another). They took him home Friday and
    then called us Saturday morning to see if we were interested (they knew I'm
    a dog lover). I immediately said yes (my wife didn't agree but since our
    friends offered to take him back if it didn't work out she agreed to give it
    a shot). In the afternoon I drove the 3 hours round trip to pick him up and
    bring him home. He sayed with us for 5 hours before my wife said that I'd
    have to take him back. She was not happen with the "disruption" and "noise"
    he made. Walking up the stairs was an exercise in not being knocked over
    she said. So, being the good husband (though not happy about it) I made the
    3 hour trip to return him to our friends. I finally arrived back home at
    11:00pm to find my wife in bed sobbing. When I asked her what was wrong she
    said that the house was too damn quiet! The Big Guy was just looking for a
    good home and she wanted it to be with us. Obviously, I was excited that
    I'd get to keep him (but NOT happy about a third 3 hour trip in the same
    day!). So, after calling our friends to tell them the news I went to bed
    and got up early to make the trip. He's been with us ever since.

    With the way the relationship started you'd think that he'd be "my" dog,
    especially when you consider that I worked at home and at the time my wife
    wasn't home from 8am to 6pm. Nope, they've bonded more than my wife or I
    ever thought they would.

    > >Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > >briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > >replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the

    month
    > >and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would

    be
    > >a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    > >kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with

    > >dog loss (with or without a "replacement").
    > >

    > I plan on getting another Lab this Spring to ease the future passing
    > of Buddy and for him to have his own buddy (and for me to have a
    > second hunting dog which will hopefully make them both better
    > hunters). Buddy will be three in April and it's probably a bit soon
    > to be getting a replacement seeing as how it's possible for Buddy to
    > outlive a dog that was just born about now.
    >

    > Anywho, get another Lab and do it right away. I grew up with dogs and
    > that's always what my parents did and still do. Every other dog owner
    > I know does the same thing. It makes the passing a little more
    > bearable. Also, get a puppy because it will be so much work that you
    > will have little time to feel the pain of your Lab's passing. The pup
    > will also do things that will remind you of you Lab in pleasant ways.
    >

    > >I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    > >requirements:
    > >Good with kids
    > >Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    > >Low to moderate exercise requirements
    > >Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    > >"retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).

    > Buddy always fetches our shoes for us. At least when we are going
    > somewhere and by we, I mean him too. He knows he's going (we tell him
    > to get our shoes so that we can go bye bye) so he will be in an
    > incredible state of excitement while doing so. It's funnier than
    > hell.
    >
    > >Not a long haired breed
    > >Definitely not a drooler!
    > >We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    > >another family member
    > >BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a

    dog
    > >that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    > >
    > >Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
    > >My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
    > >My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
    > >
    > >Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so

    probably
    > >the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    > >
    > >Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
    > >it's place....)
    > >

    > A Labrador Retreiver.

    I'm leaning towards a less active breed if possible since we now don't have
    the time we once did for walks and play (the kids take up a lot of our
    time).

  19. "TBR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:55:47 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Anyone got any advice on what I should do:
    > >
    > >My Lab probably won't be around more than another week or two (one

    paralyzed
    > >rear leg and other leg is fading fast). We've known this was coming for

    > >few months now and have done what we can to prep the kids for the loss

    (and
    > >they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
    > >However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
    > >before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the

    first
    > >thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.)

    and
    > >that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him,

    he
    > >follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there,

    she
    > >even likes to "talk" to him.
    > >
    > >Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
    > >briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
    > >replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the

    month
    > >and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog would

    be
    > >a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly the
    > >kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences with

    > >dog loss (with or without a "replacement").
    > >

    > I've always felt that good dogs and cats return to you via
    > reincarnation, and getting one sooner rather than later can be good or
    > bad. In time, one will suddenly "appear" in your life, then accept it,
    > and take him/her in. Don't hurry it.
    >

    > >I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
    > >requirements:
    > >Good with kids
    > >Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
    > >Low to moderate exercise requirements
    > >Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
    > >"retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
    > >Not a long haired breed
    > >Definitely not a drooler!
    > >We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
    > >another family member
    > >BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a

    dog
    > >that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
    > >

    > When it comes to a dog defending itself against cats, the cats are
    > sometimes scared shitless of the smaller dogs than the bigger ones, so
    > don't let that be a deciding factior.

    LOL, I'm not worried about the cat attacking the dog, the damn cat is so old
    his time's gotta be about up (doesn't it? please? pretty please? lol)
    The reason I mentioned the cat is that I don't want a tiny dog (the cat is
    ~9lbs. and I'd wouldn't want a dog that is that small).

  20. "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

> [...]

    > >> probably
    > >> the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that

    has
    > >> it's place....)
    > >>

    > > Grief is very real when losing a pet - not much different from losing a
    > > child although the period of grieving is far less. A new replacement

    puppy
    > > as soon as possible following the loss of your lab is the best antidote.
    > > Why not another lab?
    > >

    > I agree, the grief is very real, and your dog (mate) will always be
    > remembered by its name - not that it was just a dog. A new dog will not
    > 'replace' the old one, but a new puppy will absorb the grief with its
    > exuberance and the love for the little fella will make the whole family
    > happy again. Take the kids to buy a new one. Buy it for the family - not

    I agree it's prolly not appropriate as a b-day gift. My daughters love to
    go to the pet store to see/pet all the dogs and cats there. However, if we
    let them pick it out we'd probably end up with a yippy dog that I'll step
    on.

    BTW, what's the consensus on crates? When we got the lab he was already
    fully trained and we never considered a crate (and we didn't have kids back
    then). Now I'm thinking crating the kids and let the dog run the house?