OT: Dog (replacement?) question....

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:48:57 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I did a little online "research" last night and I've come to the conclusion
>that I'd love to get a Mastiff.

I think what you meant was you'd like a "Man stiff".

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:48:59 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>With the way the relationship started you'd think that he'd be "my" dog,
>especially when you consider that I worked at home and at the time my wife
>wasn't home from 8am to 6pm. Nope, they've bonded more than my wife or I
>ever thought they would.

It's the doggy sex thing. She sent me the mpg.

I have a Boxer, Charlie and a 1/2 Spitz and 1/2 French Bully, Benny.
Benny is a bad ass little mutt though. I've had to go through 2 rounds
of rabies shots because the little **** keeps mugging raccons!! He
doesn't care for any other critters in his yard other than Charlie.

Boxers are the best dogs, if we didn't get Benny via what amounted to
an abortion, we'd have another Boxer. Low maintenance and loyal like no
other dog I've ever had.
Good luck and good medicine,
GREENFEATHER

In article <[email protected]>,
> [...]

> > > (and
> > > they seem to be accepting his going to "doggie heaven" fairly well).
> > > However my wife is really having a problem with it. She never had a dog
> > > before this one (I had dogs growing up and once we got our house the

> first
> > > thing I did was get a dog). We adopted him (he was ~2y.o. and ~60lbs.)
> > > and
> > > that was 11 years and 30lbs. ago. My wife has really bonded with him,

> he
> > > follows her around the house all day, if she sits down he's right there,
> > > she
> > > even likes to "talk" to him.
> > >
> > > Anyway, the loss of him has and will be very traumatic for her. We've
> > > briefly discussed getting another dog but she says that "no dog could
> > > replace the Big Guy". She has a birthday coming up at the end of the
> > > month
> > > and I'm wondering if I should get her a new dog or not (the new dog

> would
> > > be
> > > a different breed). Would a "replacement" dog help her (and possibly

> the
> > > kids) or just remind them of the loss? I'd love to hear experiences

> with
> > > dog loss (with or without a "replacement").
> > >

> > > I'd also be interested in hearing breed suggestions. Here's our
> > > requirements:
> > > Good with kids
> > > Not a "yippy" (barker) dog
> > > Low to moderate exercise requirements
> > > Not a chewer (the lab never chewed things, but he would constantly
> > > "retrieve" things - always makes finding 2 matching shoes a hunt).
> > > Not a long haired breed
> > > Definitely not a drooler!
> > > We don't hunt so no need for a "working" dog, we're looking for purely
> > > another family member
> > > BTW, We have a cat (damn anti-social attack animal) and I don't want a

> dog
> > > that is <10lbs. so no Chihuahuas
> > >
> > > Here's what I'd like: Dobie, Great Dane, Boxer, Bulldog, Rott
> > > My kids are partial to: Pug, Cocker Spaniel, Weiner dog!
> > > My wife says she's not fond of the few Dobies & Rotts she's known.....
> > >
> > > Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
> > > probably
> > > the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
> > > it's place....)

> > English Mastiff. Great dogs.
> >
> > Fraser
> >

> I did a little online "research" last night and I've come to the conclusion
> that I'd love to get a Mastiff. However, at 90lbs. we've always thought our
> lab was a little bigger than ideal (and an 180lb. Mastiff would be WAY big).
> I don't suppose there's a way to get a miniature Mastiff? Something in the
> 50-60lb. range? Maybe a Lab/Mastiff mix? I wonder what that'd be like.....

There are miniature Dobermans....... ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <mpSxf.8911$M%[email protected]>,
"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > There are miniature Dobermans....... ;-)

> No. There aren't.
>
> David

Ok, you win. ;-)

Miniature Pinschers.
Not related to dobermans.

They sure look like it tho'.
Cute dogs, but I'd never want one.

http://www.equinoxca.com/

Too damned delicate.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
> JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote

>> >No. There aren't.

>> But there are Min Pins

> He's nit picking.......

I don't think so. The Miniature Pinscher is a direct descendant of the
German Pinscher, and is a far older breed. Also, the German Pinscher is an
important foundation of a number of breeds, including the much younger
Doberman Pinscher.

Maybe your common error is just a bit disrespectful of the importance of the
German Pinscher in breed development. Like calling a wise old stanger you
meet "gramps".

David

"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
>> JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> But there are Min Pins

>> He's nit picking.......

> I don't think so. The Miniature Pinscher is a direct descendant of the
> German Pinscher, and is a far older breed. Also, the German Pinscher is an
> important foundation of a number of breeds, including the much younger
> Doberman Pinscher.
>
> Maybe your common error is just a bit disrespectful of the importance of
> the German Pinscher in breed development. Like calling a wise old stanger
> you meet "gramps".

I should add, before any Doberman owners yell at me, that I love Dobies.
Great dogs. Especially the healthy German bred imports. But it is an
end-product of selective breeding, and, as such, is not "important" in breed
evolution, as the German Pinscher is.

In fact, it is one of the great examples of a deliberate breed "invention"
by an individual. Most breeds evolve slowly over time, with a lot of random
accidents thrown in, by many people and groups of people. The Dobie was
"made" by Louis Dobermann over a few decades. Probably the greatest such
example is my favorite, the Martinez brothers' Dogo Argentino.

David

David Cohen wrote:
> "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote
> > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote

> >>No. There aren't.

> > But there are Min Pins

> Yes.

I never perceived any utilitarian purpose for that breed until I saw
one such application a couple of years ago. They are the ideal
long-haul trucker's companion. They're not too cramped in the cab and
sleeper compartment, and when the trucker has to leave the cab, they
will protect it. They may be small, but they still look like a
Doberman, and they know how to intimidate, so most potential thieves
will opt to avoid them. And like any dog, they love being with their
masters all day long.

JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> >> There are miniature Dobermans....... ;-)

> >No. There aren't.

> But there are Min Pins

I met a couple of MinPins last summer and they were neat little doggies.
Lots of personality.

"JMW" wrote

> I never perceived any utilitarian purpose for that breed until I saw
> one such application a couple of years ago. They are the ideal
> long-haul trucker's companion. They're not too cramped in the cab and
> sleeper compartment, and when the trucker has to leave the cab, they
> will protect it. They may be small, but they still look like a
> Doberman, and they know how to intimidate, so most potential thieves
> will opt to avoid them. And like any dog, they love being with their
> masters all day long.

A guard dog for a big truck?? A good idea.

I had a friend who used to have a convertible that was protected by a large,
very territorial iguana. It would whip trespassers with its lengthy tail.
All they had to do was to put a hand inside the car. The resulting tail whip
discouraged any further efforts to invade the igauna' space.

This was in California. It obviously would require some warm weather for
this to work. And a very loyal, territorial igauna.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:28:18 GMT, [email protected] (The Queen of
Cans and Jars) wrote:

>I met a couple of MinPins last summer and they were neat little doggies.
>Lots of personality.

What kind of bars do you hang out in???

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote
> David Cohen wrote:

>> > But there are Min Pins

>> Yes.

> I never perceived any utilitarian purpose for that breed until I saw
> one such application a couple of years ago. They are the ideal
> long-haul trucker's companion. They're not too cramped in the cab and
> sleeper compartment, and when the trucker has to leave the cab, they
> will protect it. They may be small, but they still look like a
> Doberman, and they know how to intimidate, so most potential thieves
> will opt to avoid them. And like any dog, they love being with their
> masters all day long.

Hadn't thought of that, but, I can see how that would work. I've known a
couple Min Pins. Friendly, but definitely fiesty.

Of course, if it's alarm barking serves to wake the American Bulldog, all
the better :)

Friend of mine (owner of the previously mentioned deceased Neo, Jordan) now
has a 10 month old Italian Greyhound, Beemer, and a 7 month old male
Neapolitan Mastiff, Jag. In a couple years, THAT will be some damned awesome
guard combo!

David

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:20:06 GMT, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
<[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> [...]

>> > Growing up I had a Dalmatian and a couple of spaniels (Brittany) so
>> > probably
>> > the most obvious choice would be some sort of spaniel?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any/all input (well, maybe not the trolling but even that has
>> > it's place....)
>> >

>> Grief is very real when losing a pet - not much different from losing a
>> child although the period of grieving is far less. A new replacement puppy
>> as soon as possible following the loss of your lab is the best antidote.
>> Why not another lab?
>>

>Why not? Well, to be honest, since first getting this lab I always thought
>it'd be the only one I'd ever own. He's been the BEST dog anyone could
>want/hope for. Since he's a black lab my wife did mention once the
>possibility of someday getting a chocolate, so maybe I'll have to think

Get a yellow:)

A big dog is not really more troubles as long as you don't let it get used
to sleeping under the coffee table.. my dane did that and would get up in a
hurry.. there goes the table and all its content..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

Willow wrote:
> A big dog is not really more troubles as long as you don't let it get used
> to sleeping under the coffee table.. my dane did that and would get up in a
> hurry.. there goes the table and all its content..

Those are heavy dogs, heavier than they look. Down the park when the GD
puppy comes running by the ground thumps like it's a horse!

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/