OT: Drink drive cop sentenced.

What I cant understand is how anyone with half a brain would risk
losing so much both financially and reputation wise for the sake of a
£20 taxi fare.

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:04:18 -0000, Budstaff wrote:

> "Matt B" <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> wrote in message

> You're right, what's the big deal? I treated your post seriously. I was a
> fool to do so.

You've been trolled.

In article <[email protected]>, citizen142 wrote:
>What I cant understand is how anyone with half a brain would risk
>losing so much both financially and reputation wise for the sake of a
>£20 taxi fare.

According to his version of events as decribed in someone else's post,
he tried phoning for a taxi several times and none were available,
wated half an hour in the hope of hailing one, then gave up and decided
he was okay to drive after all.
He should have known better, but he wasn't just too mean to get a taxi
(well, not unless he was making up an excuse).

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, citizen142 wrote:
>>What I cant understand is how anyone with half a brain would risk
>>losing so much both financially and reputation wise for the sake of a
>>£20 taxi fare.

> According to his version of events as decribed in someone else's post,
> he tried phoning for a taxi several times and none were available,
> wated half an hour in the hope of hailing one, then gave up and decided
> he was okay to drive after all.
> He should have known better, but he wasn't just too mean to get a taxi
> (well, not unless he was making up an excuse).

All that seems to preclude his claim to have had a drink within 8 minutes.

David Lloyd

"Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
>

>> However, the court heard from Walker he had drunk two pints and one glass
>> of wine and he gave a breath test reading of 61mg in breath, the legal
>> limit being 35mg.

> Is being nearly twice the limit consistent with such a small amount of
> alcohol?

In breath, the limit is 35µg, not mg. That is microgram.

A unit, coming from 1/2 pint of bear of 3.5% ABV, a single 25 mg pub measure
of spirits, or a small 125 mg glass of light table wine is equivalent to
10mg in blood. Assuming a he drank beer and wine of these strengths, he
would have reached only 50mg. For him to have breached the drink drive
limit, it would have taken the beer to be premium beer and the glass of wine
to be a large strong one. Stella Artois is 5.2%, so you can do the maths and
see that there would have to be more drunk than was stated, or it was very
strong beer and wine.

David Lloyd

In article <[email protected]>, David Lloyd wrote:

>"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, citizen142 wrote:
>>>What I cant understand is how anyone with half a brain would risk
>>>losing so much both financially and reputation wise for the sake of a
>>>£20 taxi fare.

>> According to his version of events as decribed in someone else's post,
>> he tried phoning for a taxi several times and none were available,
>> wated half an hour in the hope of hailing one, then gave up and decided
>> he was okay to drive after all.
>> He should have known better, but he wasn't just too mean to get a taxi
>> (well, not unless he was making up an excuse).

>All that seems to preclude his claim to have had a drink within 8 minutes.

Hence the subthread from
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/4196ce02096246b5?hl=en&