OT: E Mail ?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, May 22, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info. Question-----I
    recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and body was a bunch
    of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way it was to me.
    Curious Bill

    Tags:

  2. I had a Jewish friend who used to receive the most vile and deeply disturbed snail mail you could
    imagine...he was so outraged he'd write and equally vile reply and put it in the mail box and it
    would arrive at his address 2 or 3 days later. I was waiting for him to start sending himself letter
    bombs next.

    In your case....assuming you are not sending yourself messages, would think someone just copied your
    name and email address and put into their address book. When sending you the email, they just did an
    Identity change so your name/info appears as the sender. Hopefully someone more into this can
    reply....Cletus Lee perhaps.
    ------------------------------
    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info. Question-----I
    > recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and body was a bunch
    > of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way it was to me.
    > Curious Bill

  3. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info. Question-----I
    > recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and body was a bunch
    > of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way it was to me.
    > Curious Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

  4. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    Whoops, I pushed the wrong button and sent a reply before typed anything.

    Anyway, I got the same email; i.e. something _to_ me _from_ me. I didn't open it.

    [/B][/QUOTE]

  5. You're a nice guy, Bill, perhaps someone is just trying to help you to get rich. :)

    Lewis.

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info. Question-----I
    > recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and body was a bunch
    > of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way it was to me.
    > Curious Bill

  6. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info. Question-----I
    > recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and body was a bunch
    > of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way it was to me.
    > Curious Bill

    I average about a hundred SPAMS a week. About half of them are returned mail that was sent to an
    invalid email address. I didn't send them, but my name was in the 'from', so I get the returned
    stuff. Most of it is porn or offers for 'body enhancement' products.

    As Wile E. writes, this is a form of identity theft, and pretty easy to do if you're willing to
    play with your email settings. The TCP address can still be backtracked to the offender and the
    FTC can threated the miscreant with fraud. Forward the mail to your ISP and see if they can do
    anything with it.

  7. Chere

    Chere Guest

    I got one of those (from me) too a few months ago and wondered the same thing. I asked my 'puter
    guru and his response was what John said; with an adjustment to the settings, we can be "anyone"...
    however I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) a glance at the Properties of said email will reveal
    the culprit.

    How does one train in this weather??? Rain, rain, rain.... ad nauseam. GOBA coming up and we need to
    get out there and spin!

    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  8. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    It's easy, 1-2-3, like taking candy, from a babee....

    To send this (from Outlook Express), I simply modified the Name and Email Address properties of the
    news account through which I receive the postings from this group. OE will let you present yourself
    as anybody you want to be.

    So it's a good idea to take newsgroup and email identities with a grain of salt.

    --
    Greg Dunn (returning now to my normal identity)

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info. Question-----I
    > recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and body was a bunch
    > of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way it was to me.
    > Curious Bill

  9. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > ... Hopefully someone more into this can reply....Cletus Lee perhaps.
    > ------------------------------
    > "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info.
    > > Question-----I recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and
    > > body was a bunch of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way
    > > it was to me. Curious Bill

    More than you want to know I'm sure. Every piece of E-mail sent out has a header that contains lots
    of stuff about who it is going to and where it came from. The sending email client can place
    anything in the following fields: 'TO:', 'FROM:', 'RETURN-PATH:', 'REPLY-TO:'.

    The 'RECEIVED:' fields are added successively by The Mail servers that received and pass off mail to
    each other. The last (top) one should be the mail server at your ISP

    Here is an example:

    From: "Comp. #389FD - 493A" <[email protected]> To: <[email protected]> Return-Path:
    <[email protected]> Received: from mx7.airmail.net from [209.196.77.104] by
    mail2.iadfw.net (/\##/\ Smail3.1.30.16 #30.61) with esmtp for <[email protected]> sender:
    <bounce-63546452 @freestuffwizard.com>
    id <mO/[email protected]>; Fri, 23 May 2003 08:42:55 -0500 (CDT) Received: from
    [4.42.203.141] (helo=som.freestuffwizard.com) by mx7.airmail.net with esmtp (Exim
    4.10) id 19JCoU-000H9Q-00 for [email protected]; Fri, 23 May 2003 08:42:27 -0500
    som.freestuffwizard.com with esmtp (Exim 3.35 #1) id 19JCBA-0007I4-01 for
    <[email protected]>; Fri, 23 May 2003 08:01:48 -0500 Reply-To:
    [email protected]

    If you hit reply instead of placing the 'From:' into the 'To:' field of a new email, Your reply will
    go to the address in the 'Reply-To:' field which can be different from the address in the 'From:'
    Field. If a mail server can not deliver the mail to an address in the 'To:' field, then the mail
    server will return a message to the address listed in the 'Return-Path:'

    But who originated the message. Often this is unclear since spammers take advantage of mail servers
    that still allow an 'open-relay' of anonymous mail clients. (The Mail Servers have to by nature
    accept and pass on mail for other servers) In the example above the IP address of the servers in the
    'Received:' is a clue. The last (top) one (209.196.77.104) is my ISP (Internet America in Dallas).
    The next one is a public IP Since it has a Class A address
    (4.42.203.141) The first one is a private IP (10.10.0.141) and is located somewhere behind a
    firewall It has no direct access to the internet but must talk to a router that
    passes IP packets out.

    Most mail clients shield the user from the Header stuff. Some like Outlook make it particularly
    difficult for the user to even see the header. For Outlook, in the message window, click on the menu
    <VIEW><OPTIONS> to see the complete message header.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  10. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    ...that being this one.

    --
    Greg Dunn

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
    > It's easy, 1-2-3, like taking candy, from a babee....
    >
    > To send this (from Outlook Express), I simply modified the Name and Email Address properties of
    > the news account through which I receive the
    postings
    > from this group. OE will let you present yourself as anybody you want to be.
    >
    > So it's a good idea to take newsgroup and email identities with a grain of salt.
    >
    > --
    > Greg Dunn (returning now to my normal identity)
    >

    > "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Way OT I know But a bunch of you ARBR bent heads are whiz bangs with computer info.
    > > Question-----I recieved a Email today from me to me from some one other than me.The subject and
    > > body was a bunch of BS about a get rich scam.How can someone send you a e mail addressed the way
    > > it was to me. Curious Bill

  11. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    chere wrote:
    > ... however I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) a glance at the Properties of said email will
    > reveal the culprit.

    Yes, sort of. Looking at header information, the culprit's true TCP/IP address will be revealed.
    Even us mortals can access tools that track the address back to an ISP, and from there the ISP can,
    if it is so inclined, identify the abuser.

    Unfortunately, most established SPAMmers have been kicked off from dozens of ISPs and are now on
    servers that are either sympathetic to SPAM or else deliberately cater to it. Bottom line, if you
    can track a SPAM back to Yahoo or MSN or some other reputable service provider, report it to them
    and they will disconnect the bum. If it is coming from uunet or some other spammer server, they may
    acknowledge you but they won't stop as long as there's money in it for them. If your ISP is serious
    about controlling SPAM, they may be collecting these returned emails for reporting to the FTC, who
    has gone after at least one of them already.

  12. Vol

    Vol Guest

    This is getting to be a common spammer trick. The data you see in your FROM: field is not in the
    same as SMTP servers use in exchanging messages.

    There's a good explanation of mail headers at
    http://www.iinet.net.au/support/spam/understanding.html

    (And there are serveral better ones out there that I didn't find with a quick search.)