OT: "eBay Safeharbor Department Notice"?

"Dr Curious" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Biggs" <ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > That number will be the IP address on Bellsouth.
> > > Can we have the number please?

> > http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay&user=00626654
> >
> > ~PB
> >

> SCGI.COM is a domain name of NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>
> It looks as though someone's hacked into the Network Solutions
> site and installed a directory called "Ebay" on there.
> With all the necessary subdirectories

Eh? It's not scgi.com/ebay, it's scgi.ebay.com. How does that work then?

cheers,
clive

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 11:58:25 +0100, Clive George wrote:

>> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay&user=00626654

> Now I'm confused. How does the redirection work withi this? (is it that
> scgi.ebay isn't working/isn't real?)

There's no redirection. That is the *text* of the link. If you write an
HTML page (and that email is basically an HTML page) you can simply add a
link - which is not displayed - to any text. If the text appears to
resemble a (different) HTML link, voila', you have a deceiver.

Eugenio

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 11:58:25 +0100, Clive George wrote:

> "Pete Biggs" <ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> > That number will be the IP address on Bellsouth.
>> > Can we have the number please?

>> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay&user=00626654

> Now I'm confused. How does the redirection work withi this? (is it that
> scgi.ebay isn't working/isn't real?)

I was thinking it might be the same as the old one where a URL containing
microsoft.com redirected to another site, using the IP number.
The 'dotless IP' equivalent is 11548663106 so I'm wrong
(that's taking the IP address as one big number and putting it in decimal)

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 11:57:14 +0100, Dr Curious wrote:

>> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay&user=00626654

> SCGI.COM is a domain name of NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>
> It looks as though someone's hacked into the Network Solutions
> site and installed a directory called "Ebay" on there.
> With all the necessary subdirectories
>
> Curious

Not really - it's the other way round, domain names must be read from
right to left: so scgi.ebay.com is a subdomain of ebay.com - and anyway,
as I said in the other message, the link did not really go there, that is
simply a piece of text associated to the link to deceive readers

Eugenio

"Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:

>Now I'm confused. How does the redirection work withi this? (is it that
>scgi.ebay isn't working/isn't real?)

Most likely the URL which is shown in the email isn't where the link is
actually to.
Like this:

Depending on the email client you may only be shown the bit in the middle.

Roos

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:

> is there a relationship between Linux/*nix and cycling?
>
> I've seen far more Linux command line outputs in the replies thain I
> would have expected, especially given the familiar statistics that report
> < 1% market penetration for Linux on the desktop...

Dunno, but you can't believe the statistics. As far as the bean counters
are concerned, I'm running Windows, but there's no Windows here (apart
from the see through ones of course). That said, my browser spends most
of the time claiming to be something like "Nutscrape 0.01 beta (BBC
Micro Model B)" when it isn't having to spoof IE, fortunately becoming a
much more rare event nowadays.

Perhaps

More net savvy people are on Linux, used to be the case but I expect
not now. By net savvy, I mean not assuming "Internet == Web Only. Whats
this Use Net Thingy anyway?". Posting here implies some degree of net
savvyness.

Or maybe

People who think about their transport, also think about their
computer platform

Contentious that one ;-)

or how about

People who are successful implies more time to cycle and money to buy
nice bikes, or the ability to choose a lifestyle where cycling is an option.
AND
People who take the less simple option (Linux over Windows) tend to
be more likely to be successful in computing careers for some reason.

- Richard

"Roos Eisma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >Now I'm confused. How does the redirection work withi this? (is it that
> >scgi.ebay isn't working/isn't real?)

> Most likely the URL which is shown in the email isn't where the link is
> actually to.
> Like this:
>
> Depending on the email client you may only be shown the bit in the middle.

Ah yes - I was assuming Pete had posted the actual link, not just the
description of the link. I forgot the email might be html.

cheers,
clive

Richard Corfield <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> People who take the less simple option (Linux over Windows) tend to
> be more likely to be successful in computing careers for some reason.

OOh, now that's a contentious one that is! The sad truth is that there are
more Windows oriented jobs out there. As I said in a post yesterday, I used
to work for HP and the vast majority of machines were sold into companies
who were going to install Windows on them. Yes there was a decent amount of
non-Windows stuff going on (e.g. Linux for academics, graphics etc.; Unix &
Tandem stuff for finance) but I would have thought a higher number of jobs
would allow greater scope for "success"? I suppose it depends on how you
measure success.

Perhaps the perceived lack of success of MS geeks is the way they churn out
paper MCSE candidates who don't have a scooby about real world
computing/business issues. I'm having to upgrade my old world (i.e. gained
through work experience then the exams) MCSE to W2003 at the moment and if
I wanted to throw money at it I could do so without ever doing anything
vaguely relevant to real world requirements.

Graeme

"Pete Biggs" <ppear{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've just received an email asking me to "verify" my "personal
> information" because "you or someone else had used your identity to make
> false purchases on eBay...".

I had the same, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Done 2 deals since I
received it, no problems.
--
Simon M.

"Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 11:57:14 +0100, Dr Curious wrote:
>
> >> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay&user=00626654

> > SCGI.COM is a domain name of NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
> >
> > It looks as though someone's hacked into the Network Solutions
> > site and installed a directory called "Ebay" on there.
> > With all the necessary subdirectories
> >
> > Curious

> Not really - it's the other way round, domain names must be read from
> right to left:

I'm sorry that isn't correct. The lefthand side of the domain name
is the main directory, anything to the right of that are
the names of the subdirectories within that directory.

You can't link straight to a subdirectory. You need to go
through the main web portal directory first.

> so scgi.ebay.com is a subdomain of ebay.com - and anyway,
> as I said in the other message, the link did not really go there, that is
> simply a piece of text associated to the link to deceive readers

I'm sorry. You're simply wrong. All file naming protocols go from left to
right not from right to left. In this instance ebay is a subdirectory
of scgi and not the other way around.

Curious

> Eugenio

In article <[email protected]>,
Eugenio Mastroviti <[email protected]> writes:

> is there a relationship between Linux/*nix and cycling?

Why should you suppose that?

> I've seen far more Linux command line outputs in the replies thain I
> would have expected, especially given the familiar statistics that report
> < 1% market penetration for Linux on the desktop...

If your "statistics" say <1%, that'll be showing 90% of Linux users as
Windows users, because they bought a machine with Windows preinstalled
(and didn't have the option to get it without).

As a benchmark, I have a commercial product I sell in a desktop edition
for both operating systems[1]. Sales are split 50/50. Another product
is available as opensource, but I supply binaries on demand for payment[2]:
with that, I've supplied binaries for 5 operating systems, with Windows
at 90% and Linux accounting for a majority of all non-windows sales.

Most studies don't compare like with like, but I think the difference
between those two tells a story. The measurable sales are almost
exclusively windows, but the vast majority are the (free) downloads.

Oh, and on a pedantic point, that's not a Linux commandline; it's any
system with a shell. So that includes virtually every OS out there.
Even windows with cygwin.

[1] http://valet.webthing.com/access/
[2] http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/

--
Nick Kew

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:34:51 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

>> so scgi.ebay.com is a subdomain of ebay.com - and anyway,
>> as I said in the other message, the link did not really go there, that
>> is
>> simply a piece of text associated to the link to deceive readers
>>

> I'm sorry. You're simply wrong. All file naming protocols go from left to
> right not from right to left. In this instance ebay is a subdirectory
> of scgi and not the other way around.

You clearly don't know what a domain name is. It isn't a directory
structure.

Colin

"Dr Curious" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> > > SCGI.COM is a domain name of NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
> > >
> > > It looks as though someone's hacked into the Network Solutions
> > > site and installed a directory called "Ebay" on there.
> > > With all the necessary subdirectories
> > >
> > > Curious

> > Not really - it's the other way round, domain names must be read from
> > right to left:

> I'm sorry that isn't correct. The lefthand side of the domain name
> is the main directory, anything to the right of that are
> the names of the subdirectories within that directory.

giggle.

> You can't link straight to a subdirectory. You need to go
> through the main web portal directory first.

> > so scgi.ebay.com is a subdomain of ebay.com - and anyway,
> > as I said in the other message, the link did not really go there, that

is
> > simply a piece of text associated to the link to deceive readers
> >

> I'm sorry. You're simply wrong. All file naming protocols go from left to
> right not from right to left. In this instance ebay is a subdirectory
> of scgi and not the other way around.

Describe to me what www.mydomain.com actually means: Is it that mydomain is
a subdirectory of www, or that www is a name/machine on mydomain?

(hint : if I'm in charge of mydomain.com, I can add anything.mydomain.com
without asking anybody else).

If you're going to accuse people of being wrong, make sure you're right
first...

cheers,
clive

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:34:51 +0100, Dr Curious wrote:

> I'm sorry that isn't correct. The lefthand side of the domain name
> is the main directory, anything to the right of that are
> the names of the subdirectories within that directory.
>
> You can't link straight to a subdirectory. You need to go
> through the main web portal directory first.

I'm afraid you're confusing two different things; what you refer to as
"subdirectory" is whatever comes after the first slash: e.g.
www.ebay.com/buyabike - in this case, "buyabike" is a subdirectory (and
I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "you can't link directly"). "www"
in "www.ebay.com" is a subdomain of the domain "ebay.com".

> I'm sorry. You're simply wrong. All file naming protocols go from left to
> right not from right to left. In this instance ebay is a subdirectory
> of scgi and not the other way around.

You're almost perfectly right. You should anyway consider the simple fact
that we are NOT talking about files.

Eugenio

news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:34:51 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...

> >> so scgi.ebay.com is a subdomain of ebay.com - and anyway,
> >> as I said in the other message, the link did not really go there, that
> >> is
> >> simply a piece of text associated to the link to deceive readers
> >>

> > I'm sorry. You're simply wrong. All file naming protocols go from left

> > right not from right to left. In this instance ebay is a subdirectory
> > of scgi and not the other way around.

> You clearly don't know what a domain name is. It isn't a directory
> structure.
>
> Colin

Mine is.

Curious

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:06:19 +0100, Dr Curious <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...

>> You clearly don't know what a domain name is. It isn't a directory
>> structure.
>>
>> Colin

> Mine is.

Your what is?

So, from my address, the whole of the uk network is a subdirectory of the
academic network which is in turn a subdirectoy of the Durham network, is
it?

Colin

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dr Curious" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...

> > > Not really - it's the other way round, domain names must be read from
> > > right to left:

> > I'm sorry that isn't correct. The lefthand side of the domain name
> > is the main directory, anything to the right of that are
> > the names of the subdirectories within that directory.

> giggle.
>
> > You can't link straight to a subdirectory. You need to go
> > through the main web portal directory first.

> > > so scgi.ebay.com is a subdomain of ebay.com - and anyway,
> > > as I said in the other message, the link did not really go there,

that
> is
> > > simply a piece of text associated to the link to deceive readers
> > >

> > I'm sorry. You're simply wrong. All file naming protocols go from left

> > right not from right to left. In this instance ebay is a subdirectory
> > of scgi and not the other way around.

> Describe to me what www.mydomain.com actually means: Is it that mydomain

is
> a subdirectory of www, or that www is a name/machine on mydomain?

www stands for world wide web.

A large virtual directory.

mydomain.com is a directory within the www virtual directory.

> (hint : if I'm in charge of mydomain.com, I can add
> anything.mydomain.com without asking anybody else).

Yes you can use file transfer protocols. The addresses start FTTP: If
you've any sense you'll protect your main directory with a password.

Hackers are always looking to break those passwords.

> If you're going to accuse people of being wrong, make sure
> you're right first...

Provide me with evidence of one file naming protocol which doesn't
read from left to right, and I'll do you the courtesy of assuming
you've got the faintest isdea of what you're talking about.

hint: all electronic information is stored in directory structures.

Curious

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> So, from my address, the whole of the uk network is a subdirectory of the
> academic network which is in turn a subdirectoy of the Durham network, is
> it?

<oldfart>
I can remember when it was the other way around.
Time was when uk.ac.durham was part of the natural order of things. We had
proper network protocols in those days, none of yer American stuff. The
whole name table was shipped around in a single text file, too. None of
this recursive lookup stuff.
</oldfart>

Mike (wondering which colour of book would have been used to specify HTTP)

"Eugenio Mastroviti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:34:51 +0100, Dr Curious wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry that isn't correct. The lefthand side of the domain name
> > is the main directory, anything to the right of that are
> > the names of the subdirectories within that directory.
> >
> > You can't link straight to a subdirectory. You need to go
> > through the main web portal directory first.

> I'm afraid you're confusing two different things; what you refer to as
> "subdirectory" is whatever comes after the first slash: e.g.
> www.ebay.com/buyabike - in this case, "buyabike" is a subdirectory (and
> I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "you can't link directly"). "www"
> in "www.ebay.com" is a subdomain of the domain "ebay.com".

You cannot be serious! www is the world wide web! The virtual
directory which holds all the domain names.

What I mean by you cannot link directly to a subdirectory
such as www.ebay.com/buyabike/dawes

- is that you cannot access dawes, without going through ebay, and
then buyabike first.

> > I'm sorry. You're simply wrong. All file naming protocols go from left

> > right not from right to left. In this instance ebay is a subdirectory
> > of scgi and not the other way around.

> You're almost perfectly right. You should anyway consider the simple fact
> that we are NOT talking about files.

Everything to do with IT is organised into directories. The world wide web
is no different.

Curious