OT: Extreme Mountain Unicycling

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mark Miller, May 7, 2003.

  1. Mark Miller

    Mark Miller Guest

    Did anyone see this OLN segment the other night? Two guys traveling across Bhutan and riding down
    every mountain they came across. Yes, every ride was down hill. They would hike to the top of the
    selected mountain then ride down. And they say bents can't climb! Since they were on unicycles they
    pedaled the whole way. One mountain was a 10,000 foot drop, mostly on ancient stairs. They didn't
    talk too much about the unicycles, but they looked like they had suspension! And they needed it too.
    They were doing trials type riding across boulders, planks, poles, etc. I was impressed.

    Tags:

  2. Nomad

    Nomad Guest

    Neat Post Mark , didn't see the show though. My experience on a unicycle leads me to conclude that
    they were invented as a method to impair one's ability to procreate.

    Mark Miller wrote:
    > Did anyone see this OLN segment the other night? Two guys traveling across Bhutan and riding down
    > every mountain they came across. Yes, every ride was down hill. They would hike to the top of the
    > selected mountain then ride down. And they say bents can't climb! Since they were on unicycles
    > they pedaled the whole way. One mountain was a 10,000 foot drop, mostly on ancient stairs. They
    > didn't talk too much about the unicycles, but they looked like they had suspension! And they
    > needed it too. They were doing trials type riding across boulders, planks, poles, etc. I was
    > impressed.

  3. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003 21:17:51 -0400, Mark Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 10,000 foot drop, mostly on ancient stairs. They didn't talk too much about the unicycles, but
    > they looked like they had suspension! And they needed it too. They were doing trials type riding
    > across boulders, planks, poles, etc. I was impressed.

    Do a web search on Kris Holm. He was one of the two, and does things on a unicycle that are
    basically just impossible.

    However, I don't think he generally rides suspension - just a very fat tyre (24x3"). You can buy a
    copy of the unicycle at www.unicycle.com. It probably won't let you do the things he does, however.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  4. andrew_carter

    andrew_carter New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    I've see na copy of the DVD they made about their adventures. The two riders were Kris Holm (www.krisholm.com) and Nathan Hoover. They weren't riding unicycles with suspension but as was mentioned, they did have 24" x 3" tyres. Any useful suspension (ie. not seatpost or frame) would require a chain which just doesn't work for muni (mountain unicycling).
    I'm going to have to come to unicycling's defense here and say that anything rough is done standing up. :)

    Andrew