OT: Extreme Mountain Unicycling

Mark Miller

Guest
Did anyone see this OLN segment the other night? Two guys traveling across Bhutan and riding down
every mountain they came across. Yes, every ride was down hill. They would hike to the top of the
selected mountain then ride down. And they say bents can't climb! Since they were on unicycles they
pedaled the whole way. One mountain was a 10,000 foot drop, mostly on ancient stairs. They didn't
talk too much about the unicycles, but they looked like they had suspension! And they needed it too.
They were doing trials type riding across boulders, planks, poles, etc. I was impressed.

Neat Post Mark , didn't see the show though. My experience on a unicycle leads me to conclude that
they were invented as a method to impair one's ability to procreate.

On Wed, 7 May 2003 21:17:51 -0400, Mark Miller <[email protected]> wrote:

> 10,000 foot drop, mostly on ancient stairs. They didn't talk too much about the unicycles, but
> they looked like they had suspension! And they needed it too. They were doing trials type riding
> across boulders, planks, poles, etc. I was impressed.

Do a web search on Kris Holm. He was one of the two, and does things on a unicycle that are
basically just impossible.

However, I don't think he generally rides suspension - just a very fat tyre (24x3"). You can buy a
copy of the unicycle at www.unicycle.com. It probably won't let you do the things he does, however.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

I've see na copy of the DVD they made about their adventures. The two riders were Kris Holm (www.krisholm.com) and Nathan Hoover. They weren't riding unicycles with suspension but as was mentioned, they did have 24" x 3" tyres. Any useful suspension (ie. not seatpost or frame) would require a chain which just doesn't work for muni (mountain unicycling).
Originally posted by Nomad
Neat Post Mark , didn't see the show though. My experience on a unicycle leads me to conclude that
they were invented as a method to impair one's ability to procreate.
I'm going to have to come to unicycling's defense here and say that anything rough is done standing up. :)

Andrew