OT: Felix

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dkahn400, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white
    cat was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness. He was a
    family member, a neighbourhood character, a music lover, a darling of
    small chidren, a fierce hunter, and a wanton destroyer of furniture.

    He would often rush to greet me when I arrived home, usually
    threatening to get under my front wheel. Opening the front door once, I
    overheard strangers on the other side of the road say, "So that's where
    Felix lives."

    Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.

    :-(

    --
    Dave...

    Tags:

  2. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white
    > cat was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness. He was a
    > family member, a neighbourhood character, a music lover, a darling of
    > small chidren, a fierce hunter, and a wanton destroyer of furniture.
    >
    > He would often rush to greet me when I arrived home, usually
    > threatening to get under my front wheel. Opening the front door once, I
    > overheard strangers on the other side of the road say, "So that's where
    > Felix lives."
    >
    > Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.
    >
    > :-(

    Not a cat lover, but send my condolences.

    It wasn't bird flu was it?

  3. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white
    > cat was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness. He was a
    > family member, a neighbourhood character, a music lover, a darling of
    > small chidren, a fierce hunter, and a wanton destroyer of furniture.
    >
    > He would often rush to greet me when I arrived home, usually
    > threatening to get under my front wheel. Opening the front door once, I
    > overheard strangers on the other side of the road say, "So that's where
    > Felix lives."
    >
    > Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.
    >
    > :-(

    Much sympathy. I don't look forward to losing my dogs, even knowing
    it's inevitable.

    --
    Brian G

  4. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > Not a cat lover, but send my condolences.

    Thank you.

    > It wasn't bird flu was it?

    :) No, I think you'd have heard about it on the news first if it had
    been. Blood clot.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.
    >
    > :-(

    Not sure if we've "spoken" here before or not, but condolances. I've
    had cats my whole life, loosing one is never easy, especially so young.

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    dkahn400 ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white
    > cat was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness. He was a
    > family member, a neighbourhood character, a music lover, a darling of
    > small chidren, a fierce hunter, and a wanton destroyer of furniture.

    Much sympathy. My own cat, who is nineteen and has put up with living
    with me for longer than any other being ever, has bladder cancer and is
    dying. She's not yet in distress, so I haven't yet had to make the hard
    decision, but I have to give her injections every day to keep secondary
    infections at bay.

    It can't be very long now.

    Windows 95:
    You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
    M. Jagger/K. Richards

  7. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 04:27:20 -0800, dkahn400 wrote:

    > I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white cat
    > was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness.

    Awww, that's sad.
    I'm not a cat person, however sympathy heads your way, and I hope Felix is
    happily chasing equally happy mice on a cloud somewhere.

  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Pyromancer wrote:
    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >

    >>Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.
    >>
    >>:-(

    > Not sure if we've "spoken" here before or not, but condolances. I've
    > had cats my whole life, loosing one is never easy, especially so young.

    Indeed. Condolences. :-(

    R.

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white
    > cat was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness. He was a
    > family member, a neighbourhood character, a music lover, a darling of
    > small chidren, a fierce hunter, and a wanton destroyer of furniture.
    >
    > He would often rush to greet me when I arrived home, usually
    > threatening to get under my front wheel. Opening the front door once, I
    > overheard strangers on the other side of the road say, "So that's where
    > Felix lives."
    >
    > Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.
    >
    > :-(

    Sorry to hear that, Dave. FWIW, I'll light a candle to Felix in my window
    tonight. Our furred feline masters are family, much-loved family.

    gentle *hugs* helen s

  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.

    that's very sad; 6, our first one was run over when he was 5 1/2, that
    hurt a lot. Hardly seems like yesterday he was a kitten; I know how you
    feel.
    Sincere condolences.

  11. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.

    You have my sympathy.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with
    money, from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and
    rebellion during a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-
    driven press! It's nightmarish!" (Gibson-Sterling, "The
    Difference Engine")

  12. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > It can't be very long now.

    Simon, how will you keep your keyboard warm?

    I hope that Shah doesn't suffer too much, I will have to prepare the
    girls for the news.

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if
    there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than
    that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

  13. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > Much sympathy. My own cat, who is nineteen and has put up with living
    > with me for longer than any other being ever, has bladder cancer and is
    > dying. She's not yet in distress, so I haven't yet had to make the hard
    > decision, but I have to give her injections every day to keep secondary
    > infections at bay.
    >
    > It can't be very long now.

    Thanks, Simon, and sympathy back to you. It's not fair to keep her
    hanging on when she begins to suffer, so you will need to take your
    courage in both hands and make that hard decision on her behalf.

    :-(

    --
    Dave...

  14. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Many thanks to everyone who expressed their sympathy. I'm just in from
    burying him as close as possible to his favourite spot. The children
    had already said goodbye to him on their own, and I did it while they
    were out. They're fine. I was too a moment ago, but I'm having trouble
    seeing the keyboard at the moment.

    --
    Dave...

  15. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On 11 Mar 2006 04:01:54 -0800, "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Many thanks to everyone who expressed their sympathy. I'm just in from
    >burying him as close as possible to his favourite spot. The children
    >had already said goodbye to him on their own, and I did it while they
    >were out. They're fine. I was too a moment ago, but I'm having trouble
    >seeing the keyboard at the moment.

    Feck.

    That brought back memories, and now I can't see the keyboard. Must be the
    remains of my cold.

    Sorry for your loss.

  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >> It can't be very long now.

    > Simon, how will you keep your keyboard warm?

    That's one of the things I'm going to miss, having to push her out of the
    way whenever I want to type!

    > I hope that Shah doesn't suffer too much, I will have to prepare the
    > girls for the news.

    She seems remarkably OK a lot of the time. She's sleeping a lot and
    losing condition a bit, but I don't _think_ she's suffering. When she is
    I'll call the vet in - he's already forewarned.

    But who will Phoebe chase around the house then?

    .::;===r==\
    / /___||___\____
    //==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
    //____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
    \__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

  17. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    It happens that dkahn400 formulated :
    > I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white
    > cat was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness.

    I'm really sorry to hear that, Dave. Best wishes.

    --
    Simon
    www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

  18. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > But who will Phoebe chase around the house then?

    How fast can you run?

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    Discordianism: Where reality is a figment of your imagination

  19. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > Much sympathy. My own cat, who is nineteen and has put up with living
    > with me for longer than any other being ever, has bladder cancer and is
    > dying. She's not yet in distress, so I haven't yet had to make the hard
    > decision, but I have to give her injections every day to keep secondary
    > infections at bay.
    >
    > It can't be very long now.

    Poor thing. You'll know when the time is right - doesn't make it any less
    hard though.

    helen s

  20. dkahn400 wrote:

    > I'm very sad today as Felix, our beautiful 6 year old black and white
    > cat was put down yesterday after a sudden acute illness. He was a
    > family member, a neighbourhood character, a music lover, a darling of
    > small chidren, a fierce hunter, and a wanton destroyer of furniture.
    >
    > He would often rush to greet me when I arrived home, usually
    > threatening to get under my front wheel. Opening the front door once, I
    > overheard strangers on the other side of the road say, "So that's where
    > Felix lives."
    >
    > Sorry about the OT posting but I wanted to share with my friends.
    >
    > :-(

    Commiserations - they're all characters, aren't they?

    I took our two (8 going on 9) to the vet today for their annual MoT and
    boosters. The (new) vet goes through the feeling and prodding routine
    (big tabby cat looking very p***ed off) and says, "you should be able to
    feel a cat's ribs and it should have some sort of waist..."

    I was instructed to feed them only the amount of food a 4kg cat would
    need, so they would lose weight. Went home, read the instructions on
    the Felix tin and the Go-Cat packet, got the scales out and it
    transpires I'm already feeding them the diet of a 3kg cat. Must be all
    those mice and voles, or (more likely) the neighbours are a soft touch...