OT: Female Car Drivers, government proposal?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gary, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Hello,

    I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article saying the
    government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads during certain
    times. I do not believe this for a second, but I am curious why a newspaper would print such a story
    without good reason.

    Anyone else heard rumours of this nature?

    Thanks,

    Gary.

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article saying
    > the government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads during
    > certain times.

    It will allow them to get all the dangerous drivers in one place so they can shoot them and burn the
    bodies[1].

    [1] (c) D Larrington.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  3. >It will allow them to get all the dangerous drivers in one place so they can shoot them and burn
    >the bodies[1].
    >

    >[1] (c) D Larrington.

    Wimp, theying to blame that on someone else, Guy ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Gary <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Anyone else heard rumours of this nature?

    Got to be making it up. Either you mis-read or the metro is even more shite then I thought it was.

    Such a proposal (women drivers) would be illegal under the European Convention on Human Rights.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  5. "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article
    > saying the government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads
    > during certain times. I do not believe this for a second, but I am curious why a newspaper
    > would print such a
    story
    > without good reason.
    >
    > Anyone else heard rumours of this nature?

    IIRC there was a suggestion to ban HGVs on some days. The woman driver bit is BS.

  6. Gary wrote:

    > I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article saying
    > the government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads during
    > certain times. I do not believe this for a second, but I am curious why a newspaper would print
    > such a story without good reason.

    Bear in mind the "Metro" is published by those responsible, if I may be so bold as to use the word
    in this context, for the "Daily Mail"...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Gary
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > I do not believe this for a second, but I am curious why a newspaper would print such a story
    > without good reason.

    Hellooo. They're *Newspapers*.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  8. Kyoukoku

    Kyoukoku Guest

    In article <bdc1p3[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Gary wrote:
    >
    > > I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article saying
    > > the government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads during
    > > certain times. I do not believe this for a second, but I am curious why a newspaper would print
    > > such a story without good reason.
    >
    > Bear in mind the "Metro" is published by those responsible, if I may be so bold as to use the word
    > in this context, for the "Daily Mail"...
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    I believe it's actually the Evening Standard publisher not the Daily Mail, ;o)

    kyoukoku : :

  9. kyoukoku wrote:

    > I believe it's actually the Evening Standard publisher not the Daily Mail, ;o)

    Same outfit - Associated Newspapers

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:54:37 GMT, "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article saying the
    >government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads during certain
    >times. I do not believe this for a second..

    No?

    Like during child-birth, for example?

    Garry

  11. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Garry Broad wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:54:37 GMT, "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article saying
    >>the government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads during
    >>certain times. I do not believe this for a second..
    >

    > No?
    >
    > Like during child-birth, for example?

    Good point. I'm sure someone around here will point out that they'll need a recumbent trike for
    that. Oh, its me.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  12. Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote: ( Garry Broad wrote: ) > No? ( > Like during child-birth, for
    example? ) ( Good point. I'm sure someone around here will point out that they'll ) need a recumbent
    trike for that. Oh, its me.

    Surely, hands-free child-birth will still be OK?

  13. Kyoukoku

    Kyoukoku Guest

    > kyoukoku wrote:
    >
    > > I believe it's actually the Evening Standard publisher not the Daily Mail, ;o)
    >
    > Same outfit - Associated Newspapers
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

    Doh, My bad. You're right ;o)

    kyoukoku

  14. "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Either you mis-read or the metro is even more shite then I thought it was.

    It's published by the same company as the Daily Mail. 'Nuff said. ;-)

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  15. "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article
    > saying the government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads
    > during certain times. I do not believe this for a second, but I am curious why a newspaper
    > would print such a
    story
    > without good reason.
    >
    > Anyone else heard rumours of this nature?

    No.

    Can you provide any evidence that you actually did read this and are not trolling?

    F A

  16. Ian Bates

    Ian Bates Guest

    Gary wrote:

    > I often read the Metro on the train, and in Mondays edition (I think), I read an article saying
    > the government is considering banning HGV drivers & Female Drivers from certain roads during
    > certain times. I do not believe this for a second, but I am curious why a newspaper would print
    > such a story without good reason. Anyone else heard rumours of this nature?

    Although not having read the article, I am inclined to believe, ignoring the female driver part of
    course, that such a scheme could be considered. I understand that a scheme restricting HGVs to using
    the roads at certain times of the week is implemented on Italian roads. Perhaps the U.K. government
    is considering something similar.

    IIRC HGVs are categorised somehow, maybe by size or by contents, and given a sticker and their
    categorisation determines when they are allowed on the road.

    This can be to free up the roads at the weekends however the roads are usually still busy as the
    remaining road users all head for the coast.

    Ian.

    Ian Bates

  17. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Seriously, I dont troll dude. I honestly did read this, almost choked on my hot chocolate. I
    immediatly thought that someone had somehow managed to sneak it in as a joke, who knows. I was most
    surprised also due to the fact that I had NEVER heard anything anywhere else, and I am sure if a
    Government were to consider baning female drivers that it would make international headlines.

    Again, not keen on the old trolling.

    Gary.

    &

  18. Ian Bates wrote:

    > Although not having read the article, I am inclined to believe, ignoring the female driver part of
    > course, that such a scheme could be considered. I understand that a scheme restricting HGVs to
    > using the roads at certain times of the week is implemented on Italian roads. Perhaps the U.K.
    > government is considering something similar.

    A lot of European countries ban HGV movements at weekends.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/