OT: First kart race result

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Roger Hunter, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    OK, last post on karting 'cause I'm finding it increasingly hard to sound cheerful writing them.

    Baby Hunter got *totally* wasted by the racers in his first kart event. When he managed to keep it
    on the black stuff, he was lapping within 0.78 sec of the leaders - which stunned me 'cause that's a
    good two seconds faster than he'd achieved during the week, and is bloody fast for an 11 y-old
    competing against 16 y-olds. As the race novice, he was treated by his fellow competitors to a
    personal demonstration of every racing trick in the book - which, frankly, I hadn't expected in this
    class of racing - and he only completed one heat without spending some time spinning into the tyre
    walls, courtesy of a carefully timed 'touch'. But I guess that's kart racing. If you can't deal with
    the rough stuff you shouldn't be out there. I felt *really* bad watching him getting a battering,
    stomach knotting up, the usual stuff, but to his credit he hung on for the three heats and the
    final, although he was totally shattered by the end. However, he staggered (I kid you not) over to
    race control and signed up for his second race on May 11th, and has asked me to practice with him to
    teach him how to deal with the rough stuff. Right now, I wish I'd never suggested he try karting and
    am praying he finds some less hazardous form of amusement, like skydiving. Christ, whoever would
    have guessed I'd end up an over-protective parent?

    Roger <wondering where it all went wrong

    Tags:

  2. >Right now, I wish I'd never suggested he try karting and am praying he finds some less hazardous
    >form of amusement, like skydiving. Christ, whoever would have guessed I'd end up an
    >over-protective parent?

    Are you going to tell them now, or should I? We both know this whole storys a crock of shit Roger.

    Bill R.

    =============> - -- - (_!_)
    OO

  3. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    "Bill-always hard-Rodgers " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Right now, I wish I'd never suggested he try karting and am praying he finds some less
    > >hazardous form
    of
    > >amusement, like skydiving. Christ, whoever would have guessed I'd end
    up
    > >an over-protective parent?
    >
    > Are you going to tell them now, or should I? We both know this whole
    storys a
    > crock of shit Roger.

    Wobbot, I seriously wish you were right. But isn't it a 'heap' of shit, and a 'crock' of gold?

    Roger.

  4. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    Roger Hunter wrote:
    > OK, last post on karting 'cause I'm finding it increasingly hard to sound cheerful writing them.
    >
    > Baby Hunter got *totally* wasted by the racers in his first kart event. When he managed to keep it
    > on the black stuff, he was lapping within 0.78 sec of the leaders - which stunned me 'cause that's
    > a good two seconds faster than he'd achieved during the week, and is bloody fast for an 11 y-old
    > competing against 16 y-olds. As the race novice, he was treated by his fellow competitors to a
    > personal demonstration of every racing trick in the book - which, frankly, I hadn't expected in
    > this class of racing - and he only completed one heat without spending some time spinning into the
    > tyre walls, courtesy of a carefully timed 'touch'. But I guess that's kart racing. If you can't
    > deal with the rough stuff you shouldn't be out there. I felt *really* bad watching him getting a
    > battering, stomach knotting up, the usual stuff, but to his credit he hung on for the three heats
    > and the final, although he was totally shattered by the end. However, he staggered (I kid you not)
    > over to race control and signed up for his second race on May 11th, and has asked me to practice
    > with him to teach him how to deal with the rough stuff. Right now, I wish I'd never suggested he
    > try karting and am praying he finds some less hazardous form of amusement, like skydiving. Christ,
    > whoever would have guessed I'd end up an over-protective parent?
    >

    > Roger <wondering where it all went wrong>

    It's natural to be protective. If you were over protective, you would only take him to the bumping
    cars at the amusement park.

    Good for Baby Hunter! (Does he have a real name? or a pseudonym. Calling him Baby seems insulting
    for a kid this tough.) If at 11 he is taking what the 16 year olds are dishing out, then I'll bet
    he'll be winning races in the "under 21" class by the time he's 16!

    --
    Ed Prochak running http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/ netiquette http://www.psg.com/emily.html
    --

  5. Bill Rodgers

    Bill Rodgers Guest

    "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > OK, last post on karting 'cause I'm finding it increasingly hard to sound cheerful writing them.
    >
    > Baby Hunter got *totally* wasted by the racers in his first kart event. When he managed to keep it
    > on the black stuff, he was lapping within 0.78 sec of the leaders - which stunned me 'cause that's
    > a good two seconds faster than he'd achieved during the week, and is bloody fast for an 11 y-old
    > competing against 16 y-olds. As the race novice, he was treated by his fellow competitors to a
    > personal demonstration of every racing trick in the book - which, frankly, I hadn't expected in
    > this class of racing - and he only completed one heat without spending some time spinning into the
    > tyre walls, courtesy of a carefully timed 'touch'. But I guess that's kart racing. If you can't
    > deal with the rough stuff you shouldn't be out there. I felt *really* bad watching him getting a
    > battering, stomach knotting up, the usual stuff, but to his credit he hung on for the three heats
    > and the final, although he was totally shattered by the end. However, he staggered (I kid you not)
    > over to race control and signed up for his second race on May 11th, and has asked me to practice
    > with him to teach him how to deal with the rough stuff. Right now, I wish I'd never suggested he
    > try karting and am praying he finds some less hazardous form of amusement, like skydiving. Christ,
    > whoever would have guessed I'd end up an over-protective parent?
    >

    > Roger <wondering where it all went wrong>

    Damn terrorist! Gas-guzzling, oil-drinking terrorist. And you wonder why the Yankees hate you Brits.

    Bill R.

  6. >then I'll bet he'll be winning races in the "under 21" class by the time he's 16!

    Or trolling a running newsgroup.

    Bill R.

    =============> - -- - (_!_)
    OO

  7. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    "Ed Prochak" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Good for Baby Hunter! (Does he have a real name? or a pseudonym. Calling
    him
    > Baby seems insulting for a kid this tough.) If at 11 he is taking what the
    16
    > year olds are dishing out, then I'll bet he'll be winning races in the
    "under
    > 21" class by the time he's 16!

    He's been 'Baby' ever since he was a baby. Doesn't seem to bother him. As all the family and his
    friends use it, so I guess it'll be with him until he heads off to university.

    He seems to accept that it's part of the game to take a thrashing from the bigger kids. What worries
    me is that *he* may end up with the same attitude when he's had a couple of seasons in that class.
    At the moment he's 'tough but fair'. I'd hate to see him become just 'tough'.

    He'd have made a great runner...

    Roger.