OT flash cards for camera...

Penny S

Guest
Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to a crappy POS memorex
"card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get something bigger
while I am at it.

** pins from the crappy POS card mouse broke off the card&*^*^*&^&%$$%

penny

Penny S scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to a crappy POS memorex
> "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get something bigger
> while I am at it.
>
> ** pins from the crappy POS card mouse broke off the card&*^*^*&^&%$$%
>
> penny

Pins broke off IN the card.

I need to quit attempting to communicate in the morning.

P.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to
> crappy POS memorex "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get
> something bigger while I am at it.
>
> ** pins from the crappy POS card mouse broke off the card&*^*^*&^&%$$%

Penny, you could try ebay (got mine for a great price) if you're not in a hurry, or find a buy it
now at a decent price. Then again, you answered your own question. 'Best Buy' has decent prices if
you want it today.

I know what you meant, btw.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to
> crappy POS memorex "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get
> something bigger while I am at it.
>
> ** pins from the crappy POS card mouse broke off the card&*^*^*&^&%$$%
>
> penny

Don't go less than a 1GB card, cause it's just not worth it. Also, if you upgrade your camera later,
the bigger card will come in handy.

Your best bet would be eBay if you have the time and patience. Otherwise, buy.com and Amazon have
pretty good prices. Need a retail joint? Circuit City. I shy away from Best Buy because of their
return policy. CompUSA is a rip-off.

Raoul Deluxe wrote:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to

>>crappy POS memorex "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get
>>something bigger while I am at it.
>>
>>** pins from the crappy POS card mouse broke off the card&*^*^*&^&%$$%
>>

> Penny, you could try ebay (got mine for a great price) if you're not in a hurry, or find a buy it
> now at a decent price. Then again, you answered your own question. 'Best Buy' has decent prices if
> you want it today.
>
> I know what you meant, btw.

First: go here: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Very cool and helpful site that helps you choose the best card for your camera.

Then: go here: http://www.memoryonthemove.com/Scripts/default.asp

I'm looking at buying a transcend 1G, so you aren't allowed to buy that.

Sir Ride-A-Lot
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to

>>crappy POS memorex "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get
>>something bigger while I am at it.
>>
>>** pins from the crappy POS card mouse broke off the card&*^*^*&^&%$$%
>>
>>penny
>>

> Don't go less than a 1GB card, cause it's just not worth it. Also, if you upgrade your camera
> later, the bigger card will come in handy.
>
> Your best bet would be eBay if you have the time and patience. Otherwise, buy.com and Amazon have
> pretty good prices. Need a retail joint? Circuit City. I shy away from Best Buy because of their
> return policy. CompUSA is a rip-off.

I find it hard to fill up my 128MB card, but I do need to be prompt about moving data to my
computer's disk. I did fill the card near the end of a four-day trip through SW Utah, but
just the end.

Raptor wrote:

> I find it hard to fill up my 128MB card,

I depends on the camera. I was fine with a 256 until the latest camera acquisition, which shoots at
6.3 megapixel, regularly generating files of 4 megs.

Now its all about real estate.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:54:45 -0700, "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to a crappy POS memorex
>"card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get something bigger
>while I am at it.

Your best bet is to do some research and figure out which card you want.

Note: if you are intrigued by the WA cards (32x, 40x write speed) be sure that your camer's firmware
supports WA. If not, you're just buying something that you don't need.

Then hit google, pricegrabber, etc (sponsors who pay for links on the right side of google results).

It pays to click around. Prices varied up to $90, on a $249 1 GB card when I bought a few weeks ago.

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro! :www.yestubes.com

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:54:45 -0700, Penny S wrote:
> Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to a crappy POS memorex
> "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get something bigger
> while I am at it.

Check buy.com. Sometimes they have deals - I almost got a 128MB card for $20 (after some rebates,
of course).

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:33:30 -0500, Raoul Deluxe <[email protected]> penned:

> Penny, you could try ebay (got mine for a great price) if you're not in a hurry, or find a buy it
> now at a decent price. Then again, you answered your own question. 'Best Buy' has decent prices if
> you want it today.
>
> I know what you meant, btw.

Flash, and as far as I know all solid-state drives, have a limited number of writes before they
die. (BTW, that means that defragging a solid-state drive is a *bad* idea -- lots of unnecessary
writes.) On my project at work, the flash interface even has write-balancing code so that the
writes are spread out across the device, hopefully extending its lifetime. But PCs don't do that,
as far as I know.

Anyoo ... because of the limited lifetime, I would be hesitant to get one used.

--
monique Please respond to the group OR to my email, but not both. (Group preferred.)

P e t e F a g e r l i n scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:54:45 -0700, "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks to a crappy POS memorex
>> "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact flash memory) Might as well get something bigger
>> while I am at it.
>
> Your best bet is to do some research and figure out which card you want.

now, Pete, you know I'm just a snap shot picture taker and not a photographer... But I do usually
stop and get off the bike to take a photo...

P.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sir Ride-A-Lot
> > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Ok, where's the best buy? My largest card just bit the dust, no thanks

> >>crappy POS memorex "card mouse" and I need to replace it ( compact
flash
> >>memory) Might as well get something bigger while I am at it.
> >>
> >>** pins from the crappy POS card mouse broke off the card&*^*^*&^&%$$%
> >>
> >>penny
> >>

> > Don't go less than a 1GB card, cause it's just not worth it. Also, if
you
> > upgrade your camera later, the bigger card will come in handy.
> >
> > Your best bet would be eBay if you have the time and patience.
Otherwise,
> > buy.com and Amazon have pretty good prices. Need a retail joint?
Circuit
> > City. I shy away from Best Buy because of their return policy. CompUSA
is
> > a rip-off.
>
> I find it hard to fill up my 128MB card, but I do need to be prompt about moving data to my
> computer's disk. I did fill the card near the end of a four-day trip through SW Utah, but just
> the end.

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

It depends on the camera, megapixels, and format you use. I use a Canon D10 which is 6.2 megapixels.
I shoot in raw mode and get about 300 shots per 1GB. I can shoot up the 300 very fast.

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:33:30 -0500, Raoul Deluxe <[email protected]>
penned:

> > Penny, you could try ebay (got mine for a great price) if you're not in
> > hurry, or find a buy it now at a decent price. Then again, you answered
your
> > own question. 'Best Buy' has decent prices if you want it today.
> >
> > I know what you meant, btw.
> >

> Flash, and as far as I know all solid-state drives, have a limited number of writes before they
> die. (BTW, that means that defragging a solid-state drive is a *bad* idea -- lots of unnecessary
> writes.) On my project at work, the flash interface even has write-balancing code so that the
> writes are spread out across the device, hopefully extending its lifetime. But PCs don't do that,
> as far as I know.
>
> Anyoo ... because of the limited lifetime, I would be hesitant to get one used.
>
> --
> monique Please respond to the group OR to my email, but not both. (Group
preferred.)

I have had several flash drives. I have a 256 that is about 4 years old and still going strong.
There has to be millions of writes on there now. If you are concerned about the electronic memoery
biting the dust, I suggest an IBM Microdrive. I have the 1GB unit (I think they even make a 2GB now)
that hasn't failed me in 2 years. There are a little slower, though.

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:53:59 -0600, Raptor wrote:

>> Don't go less than a 1GB card, cause it's just not worth it. Also, if you upgrade your camera
>> later, the bigger card will come in handy.

A lot of the "lower-end" (i.e. less than 3 megapixel) won't take a card that big. I'm pretty sure my
Canon only takes a 128MB.

> I find it hard to fill up my 128MB card, but I do need to be prompt about moving data to my
> computer's disk. I did fill the card near the end of a four-day trip through SW Utah, but just
> the end.

Try taking it on a 3.5-week trip. I was constantly having to edit out pictures. Unfortunately, one I
edited out happened to be part of a panorama. :-(

> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Don't go less than a 1GB card, cause it's just not worth it. Also, if you upgrade your camera
>>> later, the bigger card will come in handy.
>>>
>>> Your best bet would be eBay if you have the time and patience. Otherwise, buy.com and Amazon
>>> have pretty good prices. Need a retail joint? Circuit City. I shy away from Best Buy because of
>>> their return policy. CompUSA is a rip-off.
>>
>> I find it hard to fill up my 128MB card, but I do need to be prompt about moving data to my
>> computer's disk. I did fill the card near the end of a four-day trip through SW Utah, but just
>> the end.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
>> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
>> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.
>>

> It depends on the camera, megapixels, and format you use. I use a Canon D10 which is 6.2
> megapixels. I shoot in raw mode and get about 300 shots per 1GB. I can shoot up the 300 very fast.

hahhaha I must be seriously behind the times, my biggest card WAS a 32. Looks like I have some
education/catching up to do.

penny

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:21:42 -0400, Sir Ride-A-Lot <> penned:

> I have had several flash drives. I have a 256 that is about 4 years old and still going strong.
> There has to be millions of writes on there now. If you are concerned about the electronic memoery
> biting the dust, I suggest an IBM Microdrive. I have the 1GB unit (I think they even make a 2GB
> now) that hasn't failed me in 2 years. There are a little slower, though.

Millions of writes per bit, though?

Browsing around, I found this link, which admittedly isn't terribly complete:
http://www.handhelds.org/z/wiki/Flash%20Write%20Limit

Anyway, the question isn't "How long can a flash drive last under normal usage?" ... The question is
"Did the guy selling this thing only put it up on ebay after his project had abused it to the point
where they suspected it would fail soon?"

It's a small chance, but it's there. I wouldn't want to buy a used hard drive, either, for similar
reasons -- hard to tell from a picture whether someone has ever tipped the drive over, dropped it on
the ground, etc.

--

www.pricewatch.com, too.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> A lot of the "lower-end" (i.e. less than 3 megapixel) won't take a card that big. I'm pretty sure
> my Canon only takes a 128MB.

That's not necessarily true. One of the advantages of Compact Flash is that the controller is inside
the card. Thus, you can use higher-capacity cards in older cameras and it should work in theory.
Smaller cards like Smart Digital do not, and thus, newer cards simply won't work in older stuff.

Bottom line: make sure there's a good return policy.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training