OT: For Outlook Express users

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John Harlow, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it
    integrates with my hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/
    . This nifty utility does a great job with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck
    "position cursor at top" - this fixes the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top
    posting in replies.

    Tags:

  2. John Harlow wrote:
    > If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    > hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    > with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    > the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.

    Nice!

  3. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    > If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    > hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    > with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    > the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.

    Funny, I just installed this a couple of days ago. It is pretty cool.

    Matt

  4. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    John Harlow murmured while asleep:
    > If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    > hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    > with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    > the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.

    Been using if for years, I especially like the custom header option.

    Since OE is such a pain to back up, I suggest Express Assist by www.ajsystems.com. the shareware
    lets you use it a couple of times but it's worth the $19 if you keep a lot of important stuff in
    your mail box... it's got great one-click back up features for mail, news and browsers.

    NAYY, just a great product.

    Penny

  5. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    John Harlow <[email protected]> scribbled:
    > If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    > hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    > with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    > the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.

    NICE!!!

    Thanks for posting the link. I switch back and forth between Mozilla (better newsreader.. and it
    bottom posts) and OE (convenience). Now I'll just stick with OE (for now).

    Good stuff.

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

    --

  6. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Been using if for years, I especially like the custom header option.

    So we've noticed. The insulting headers are losing their comedic luster ;)

  7. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    John Harlow murmured while asleep:
    >> Been using if for years, I especially like the custom header option.
    >
    > So we've noticed. The insulting headers are losing their comedic luster ;)

    ok, time for a new one then, ,whne I am feeling creative. The problem is that ideally I need
    different ones for the different ngs....Hmm, how to to that?

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    John Harlow sifted through the cat-litter box, and came up with:

    >> Been using if for years, I especially like the custom header option.
    >
    > So we've noticed. The insulting headers are losing their comedic luster ;)

    I kinda like 'em, Penny, so there! (I just made up the one above; not "configured".)

    I notice this loses the quoting attributions below the latest one, however; don't like that.

    Bill "who said what ('s on first)" S.

  9. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    John Harlow wrote:
    >> Been using if for years, I especially like the custom header option.
    >
    > So we've noticed. The insulting headers are losing their comedic luster ;)

    Hey, you can't do that!?!?!?!
    --
    Slacker

  10. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > John Harlow sifted through the cat-litter box, and came up with:
    >
    >>> Been using if for years, I especially like the custom header option.
    >>
    >> So we've noticed. The insulting headers are losing their comedic luster ;)
    >
    > I kinda like 'em, Penny, so there! (I just made up the one above; not "configured".)
    >
    > I notice this loses the quoting attributions below the latest one, however; don't like that.

    Ooops, never mind. See now that Mr. Harlow simply removed said attribution.

    Bill "will grab me helmet now" S.

  11. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Sorni used careful calligraphy to write:
    > John Harlow sifted through the cat-litter box, and came up with:
    >
    >>> Been using if for years, I especially like the custom header option.
    >>
    >> So we've noticed. The insulting headers are losing their comedic luster ;)
    >
    > I kinda like 'em, Penny, so there! (I just made up the one above; not "configured".)
    >
    > I notice this loses the quoting attributions below the latest one, however; don't like that.
    >
    > Bill "who said what ('s on first)" S.

    wow, you are much more imaginative than I am.... that's a good one!!

    ( something like that would really annoy the sewing ladies however...)

    P.

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:03:46 -0500, John Harlow wrote:

    > If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    > hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/
    > . This nifty utility does a great job with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck
    > "position cursor at top" - this fixes the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top
    > posting in replies.

    Alas, it doesn't fix all OE's bugs...

    begin LoveYouVirus.exe

  13. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:03:46 -0500, John Harlow wrote:
    >
    >> If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    >> hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    >> with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    >> the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.
    >
    > Alas, it doesn't fix all OE's bugs...

    I don't believe I even remotely implied it did. NIS does a good job of picking up where OE leaves
    off WRT your little demonstration.

    And please, no binaries to the group http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm ;)

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:03:46 -0500, John Harlow wrote:
    >
    >> If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    >> hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    >> with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    >> the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.
    >
    > Alas, it doesn't fix all OE's bugs...

    I'm trying it -- so far worth it just for the coloring (easier to read/differentiate) and cursor
    placement (easier posting, although if there's any snipping to do then it's negligible)...

    Does anyone make a similar program for "regular" e-mail? I'm practically forced to "top reply" the
    way OE is set up -- although it's not horrible since correspondent SHOULD recall what they
    wrote/sent...

    By the Bomba, Way, are you aware of the attachment to your post ("LoveYouVirus.exe")?!? Just a joke?

    Bill "too chicken to check" S.

  15. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:03:46 -0500, John Harlow wrote:
    >
    >> If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    >> hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    >> with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    >> the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.
    >
    > Alas, it doesn't fix all OE's bugs...

    Hey, I'm trying to run that program (must be something neat, right?) you attached but it won't do
    anything! So I just keep trying...

    Matt (surely it wasn't a blank txt file renamed to be an exe?)

  16. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Sorni found this in the back of the refrigerator:
    > bomba wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:03:46 -0500, John Harlow wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you're like me and use the lame newsreader in OE (I use OE because it integrates with my
    >>> hotmail account), check out http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/ . This nifty utility does a great job
    >>> with formatting newsgroup messages. Make sure you UNcheck "position cursor at top" - this fixes
    >>> the most annoying thing OE does IMHO which is default top posting in replies.
    >>
    >> Alas, it doesn't fix all OE's bugs...
    >
    > I'm trying it -- so far worth it just for the coloring (easier to read/differentiate) and cursor
    > placement (easier posting, although if there's any snipping to do then it's negligible)...
    >
    > Does anyone make a similar program for "regular" e-mail? I'm practically forced to "top reply" the
    > way OE is set up -- although it's not horrible since correspondent SHOULD recall what they
    > wrote/sent...
    >
    > By the Bomba, Way, are you aware of the attachment to your post ("LoveYouVirus.exe")?!?
    > Just a joke?
    >
    > Bill "too chicken to check" S.

    of course it was a joke, that's why he said that not all the bugs were fixed in OE with quote fix.

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:57:16 +0000, Sorni wrote:

    > Does anyone make a similar program for "regular" e-mail? I'm practically forced to "top reply" the
    > way OE is set up -- although it's not horrible since correspondent SHOULD recall what they
    > wrote/sent...

    You could try Mozilla.

    > By the Bomba, Way, are you aware of the attachment to your post ("LoveYouVirus.exe")?!?
    > Just a joke?

    Huh? Attachment?

  18. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:04:02 -0700, MattB wrote:

    > Matt (surely it wasn't a blank txt file renamed to be an exe?)

    Ok, I've got to leave in a minute and won't be posting till Monday, so:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=265230

    Strangely, Microsoft claim this is a 'feature' rather than a bug and have never fixed it.

  19. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Penny S wrote:
    > Sorni found this in the back of the refrigerator:
    >> bomba wrote:

    >> By the Bomba, Way, are you aware of the attachment to your post ("LoveYouVirus.exe")?!? Just
    >> a joke?
    >>
    >> Bill "too chicken to check" S.
    >
    > of course it was a joke, that's why he said that not all the bugs were fixed in OE with
    > quote fix.

    Well, I still ain't installing it! You first :)

    Bill "ironically, links are now NOT colored -- whattup widdat?" S.

  20. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:57:16 +0000, Sorni wrote:
    >
    >> By the Bomba, Way, are you aware of the attachment to your post ("LoveYouVirus.exe")?!? Just
    >> a joke?
    >
    > Huh? Attachment?

    Just pulling your leg, mate. Nothing there.

    Bill "will the pale rub off on me?" S.