OT - for those of us on the newsgroup running a business, or working with data on people.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Sorry this is off-topic, but I think it is justified out of friendship to you guys, so please bear
    with me :)

    I run a business which requires to be registered with the Data Protection Registrar - so I am.

    This morning, in the post was a very official looking bit of correspondence from an organisation
    calling itself "The Data Enforcement Agency" with

    "Notification under the Data Protection Act 1988 URGENT NOTICE We are writing to you with regard to
    - you are not held on our records as having registered under the Data Protection Act 1998, to comply
    with the Data Protection Registrar.
    - Failure to comply with the Data Protection Registrar constitutes a criminal offence liable to a
    large fine.
    - To avoid further action please return your forms immediately"

    Then you read a bit further and the demand is for £95 ...

    I smelled a rat - the stuff that I got is *very* cleverly designed - even with a Wilmslow address,
    which is where the real DPR is located, but it's a different one. Plus the phone number is a
    national rate one - so I really smelled a rat! I could see this very easily getting filled in &
    check sent off by someone working who was busy, harassed and with no time to look really closely at
    the correspondence. Plus I *knew* I had registered with the DPA!

    I did a Net search and this is an organisation being investigated by Trading Standards and is being
    referred to the Office of Fair Trading. Indeed, the real Data Protection Registrar has a bit on the
    real site stressing concerned about the organisation that sent me stuff and stressing it has nothing
    to do with the real DPR and you are asked to let your local Trading Standards know if you get
    approached by The Data Collection Enforcement Agency. Indeed, it was my local Trading Standards who
    told me everyting is being passed to the OFT.

    Please don't get caught out by this!

    Cheers, helen s

    p.s. now back on to bikes - I'm off out for a quick morning constitutional soon!

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > This morning, in the post was a very official looking bit of correspondence from an organisation
    > calling itself "The Data Enforcement Agency" with

    It's a known scam, of course, but thanks - I recommend you forward copies of the document to the ASA
    and Cheshire Trading Standards.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > This morning, in the post was a very official looking bit of correspondence from an organisation
    > calling itself "The Data Enforcement Agency" with

    It's a known scam, of course, but thanks - I recommend you forward copies of the document to the ASA
    and Cheshire Trading Standards.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Sorry this is off-topic, but I think it is justified out of friendship to you guys, so please bear
    > with me :)
    >
    > I run a business which requires to be registered with the Data Protection Registrar - so I am.
    >
    > This morning, in the post was a very official looking bit of correspondence from an organisation
    > calling itself "The Data Enforcement Agency" with
    It's a scam, and one that has been around for a while. Send it to [email protected], the appropriate
    trading standards people (Wilmslow is in Cheshire, IIRC) and your local fraud squad.

    Simon
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
    the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."

  5. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
    >
    > > This morning, in the post was a very official looking bit of correspondence from an organisation
    > > calling itself "The Data Enforcement Agency" with
    >
    > It's a known scam, of course, but thanks - I recommend you forward copies
    of
    > the document to the ASA and Cheshire Trading Standards.

    I see something similar at least 3 or 4 times a year - along with various bogus Fax directory
    invoices from slovakia or the chezk republic - They just go straight in the bin along with the rest
    of the junk mail. At the end of the day the reason they've not been closed down is that what they're
    doing isn't actually illegal (just a bit misleading if you don't read it too closely) - they will
    register you if you send them £95. You can of course do it yourself direct for considerably less.
    Caveat Emptor and all that.

    What never fails to astound me is that people still get drawn in to the Nigerians with 20million
    quid wanting to use your bank account - an example of stupidity and greed n equal measures exceeding
    all measures of common sense.

    Russ

  6. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:06:20 -0000, russell pinder <[email protected]> wrote:

    > the day the reason they've not been closed down is that what they're doing isn't actually
    > illegal (just a bit misleading if you don't read it too closely) - they will register you if you
    > send them £95. You can of course do it yourself direct for considerably less. Caveat Emptor and
    > all that.

    Actually, at least some of teh data protection ones _are_ illegal, and the reason they haven't been
    closed down is that they can't catch them fast enough. The government has obtained injunctions, but
    the individuals in question have stopped using the name on teh injunction before the injunction is
    generated anyway.

    At least, that's what we were told last time we reported one, and there's some stuff about the
    injunctions on either the data protection registrars website, or the home office (I think)
    somewhere. Can't remember where.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  7. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 27 Jan 2003 10:10:38 GMT someone who may be [email protected]
    (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote this:-

    >Please don't get caught out by this!

    Some people already have been. My colleague, who runs an FSB branch has heard of several cases.