OT: Ganglion cyst

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tdwfl, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    I had one on the underside of my wrist and I gave it a good whack with a hard-cover book. It never
    came back. I was a little younger then and I now realize that if I was wrong then it could've become
    a serious problem. Just to be safe, I'd see a doctor if I were you.

    Dave

  2. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    >[email protected] (TDWFL) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Between biking and jet-skiing I've developed a lump on the top of my right wrist. I looked
    >> no google and determined it is a ganglion cyst. Websites recommend anything from aspiration
    >> to surgery. A friend told me it's a common remedy to whack it with a phone book. Does this
    >> sound right?

    I have one on the inside of my wrist which has been there for about 4 years. My doctor has stated
    that it won't go away on its own and smashing is not the way to deal with it.

    I had two others on the backs of each hand when I was in my late teens. Those eventually went away
    on their own, but I was a lot younger then.

    You should really ask your doctor about yours, if only to confirm the diagnosis.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  3. "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Between biking and jet-skiing I've developed a lump on the top of my right wrist. I looked no
    > google and determined it is a ganglion cyst.

    nice to know you're a doctor and can do your own very accurate diagnosis. of course, you're
    absolutely certain that it's not anything else, and that it's benign, right?

    if you believe that, you should whack your head hard with a bible to cure the problem. no, harder...

  4. ajcoles

    ajcoles New Member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2003
    BTW- this is where the term bible thumping really came from.

    First point. Go to a doctor. Those who suggested it are absolutely correct.

    Secondly I want to share that I have had one & my brother also had one. He was a house painter at the time so I suppose it was related to that. Mine may have come from combination computer use & possibly cycling. Both my & my brother were told by our doctors to whap it with a book.

    I have a personal opinioin that a leather bound book (like many family bibles are) may be preferable as they have some mas to help in the momentum but yet have a certain amount of give so as not to damage the rest of your wrist. Hey, this is a tech issue after all. :)

    I haven't checked with my brother recently, he lives in another state, but I know that his went away years ago after his loving wife happily whaped his.

    In my case, my (then 17 year old) son administered the treatment. It went away in a couple of days but did come back in. My son had gone into the Air Force so I banged my wrist against a wall the second time & it hasn't come back again.

    I did present this to my doctor before willy nilly whapping it & feel that it is the correct first step but if you doctor is like mine & my borther's they aren't going to suggest invasive surgery for something that can be treated by a good old low tech method.

  5. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    After hearing the "bible" thing I did another search and came up with this site. It's pretty
    comprehensive. Thanks to all those who tendered their opinion on the matter. Tim

    http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/topic215.htm

  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    "TDWFL" <> After hearing the "bible" thing I did another search and came up with this
    > site. It's pretty comprehensive. Thanks to all those who tendered their
    opinion
    > on the matter. Tim

    I had one and the doctor just put a needle in it and drained it. That was in 1980 and it hasn't come
    back yet. No big surgery involved.

    Pat in TX