OT: Getting rid of GMT.exe

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by X, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. X

    X Guest

    I hate that stupid little program gator or GMT.exe. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

    Thanks,

    P.S. Many thanks to the guys that helped me choose my firewall, and anti-virus software. Everything
    is working great now...Accept for those annoying pop up ads now and then...

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    x wrote:
    > I hate that stupid little program gator or GMT.exe. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

    You do realise this is a mountain bike group?

    <geek> The obvious answer would not to have installed the stupid program in the first place.
    But anyway...

    Ad Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com </geek

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > x wrote:
    > > I hate that stupid little program gator or GMT.exe. Anyone know how to
    get
    > > rid of it?
    >
    > You do realise this is a mountain bike group?
    >
    > <geek> The obvious answer would not to have installed the stupid program in the first place. But
    > anyway...

    Make sure your IE security settings are at least Medium to prevent programs like Gator from
    installing themselves without your permission.

    > Ad Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com </geek>

    Good stuff.

    Mike

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    > Make sure your IE security settings are at least Medium to prevent programs like Gator from
    > installing themselves without your permission.

    Gator usually presents itself as a certificate, IIRC, and you have to agree to install it. Gator's a
    bitch, but it does require some user interaction.

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    > > Make sure your IE security settings are at least Medium to prevent
    programs
    > > like Gator from installing themselves without your permission.
    >
    > Gator usually presents itself as a certificate, IIRC, and you have to agree to install it. Gator's
    > a bitch, but it does require some user interaction.

    I had my security settings on low (I changed them for troubleshooting once and forgot to put them
    back) and it just went and happily installed itself and then let me know it was done. I didn't think
    a program would install itself without my initiating the download first. I'm more careful now.
    Spyware is way up on the suckage scale IMNSHO!

    Mike